Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

fullroundaction posted:

Please post the recipe. My 2 attempts have been kind of mediocre and I really want to make it work.

Super simple, really, and you can adapt it to what you have on hand in terms of hops/yeast.

6 pounds 2-Row
6 pounds Wheat
Mash for 60 minutes at 152

1oz of 5% AA hops for 60 minutes
US-05

Let the beer finish out completely (I cold crash it for a couple of days). Buy yourself a nice, seedless watermelon, preferably from a farmer's market or something. Chop in half, or cut just the top off, and then grab a stick blender and puree all the fruit inside the watermelon (it serves as a nice little container). Pour the pureed watermelon into the bottom of a secondary, and carefully rack the beer on top of the watermelon, trying to keep as much yeast in the bottom of the primary as possible. You do not want a really vigorous fermentation of the fruit, as it can drive off some of the aromas. When it is finished, bottle it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Josh Wow posted:

Schwarzbiers have a distinct flavor from the carafa III added to make them black, just FYI. Beyond that what you're saying would definitely work, although I suggest using carafa III since it's not very roasty. No reason to use your coffee grinder though, crack it just like you would the rest of your malt. 2 oz in a 5 gallon batch will only give you color.

I think I heard Jamil say that if you really want just color, basically pulverize it in a blade grinder. Thanks for the tip on the Carafa III! I think I was going to use a dehusked version of something instead of the RB I mentioned, but this is a great suggestion.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Alright folks, I've done what I can to put my recipe list together.
Here's my untested or in progress recipes. Goons should brew and report at their own risk

Alright those are those. Here are my Tested and Finished Recipes

So there you have it goons. I have a few more recipes I'm not willing to share at the moment but this is the bulk of them for sure. If you have any questions just let me know or send me a PM on GotMead (same user ID)(I don't have PM privileges on SA)

Sweet baby american Jesus those look good.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I can never decide how long to dry hop beers. I have done 2 weeks, 1 week, and even gone as low as 4 days one time. There has got to be diminishing returns on flavors extracted versus hop freshness at some point. What are your guys thoughts on length of dry hopping? Has anyone done a side by side test of different time frames of dry hop and noticed a difference?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Jo3sh posted:

Has anyone tried a cold coffee extraction using vodka or other high-test booze? I wonder if the alcohol changes what is extracted, and thus the flavor of the extract.

I have made coffee vodka before. Is this what you are talking about?

-Fifth of mid shelf vodka
-Cup of home roasted Panamanian beans, crushed with mortar and pestle

I let the coffee sit in the vodka for about a month, then strained with my french press. I would definitely suggest using a light roast, as I thought mine was a little bitter/astringent right out of the bottle. After some aging it got a lot better, but a French Roast might have been way too much.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Saint Darwin posted:

What did you do with that, and how would you compare it to a cup of coffee made with those beans? Any chance the caffeine survived? My ~girlfriend~ does liquor extracts and I'll hassle her to do some coffee if it's actually an improvement over store-bought coffee vodka which has never, ever impressed me.

Midrange would be what, Titos?

edit: Ugh gotta bring the coffee thread into this, but a deburrer might be preferable for a more consistent grind. I don't know if it matters after a month of steeping, though :rolleyes:

I would sometimes sip some of the coffee vodka, add it to white russians, give it as shots to friends, etc. I think the caffeine does survive, but don't think you will be getting a caffeine buzz from a shot. Titos would be fine, I think I got some Smirnoff-esque vodka. I usually go one step above the absolute rot gut vodka, never using grey goose or ketel one.

A burr grinder is great for espresso and as a coarse grinder for french press. I would be extremely surprised if a consistent grind would improve the taste of coffee vodka steeped longer than a couple of weeks.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Hey Home HopGrowers!

I just got three rhizomes from MoreBeer to add to my hop collection, but this year there is still snow on the ground in Northern Michigan, so no planting for at least a couple of weeks. What is a good way to store these rhizomes before planting? I was thinking refrigerator in the veggie drawer.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

fullroundaction posted:

That bottled lemon juice tastes awful and with table sugar being your only fermentable you're going to have something thin and hot.

When I do hard lemonade I do 50/50 DME and corn sugar to give it a softer mouth feel/more body and make it more like Mikes, just with a lot less residual sweetness.

Also use real lemons :cmon:

And start with a small batch.

So for a gallon I am roughly assuming you do ~0.7 pounds table sugar, ~0.7 pounds DME, and then a scaled down version of lemon juice/water combo. How many lemons do you usually buy? Especially for a 5 gallon batch you would be juicing all day, preferably to Led Zeps Lemon Song

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
FullRound, I asked you for your 1 gallon Skeeter Piss recipe a couple of pages back, but you probably skimmed over it. Any chance you could share? Specifically number of lemons and pounds of DME? Have you ever used an ale yeast before?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Thanks fullround for the recipe!

I went to a brewery that just opened up around here last night, which had lots of pinball, barbecue, picnic tables indoors, and a lot of strange art. The beer was not bad, but nothing extraordinary for a small brewpub. However, they did have the BEST ginger beer I have ever tasted in my entire life, which inspired me to test out a batch of my own today.

Croe's Ginger Beer
Makes 2 liters, but can be scaled in any way you want.
Ingredients:
-2 ounces of fresh ginger
-1 cup of sugar
-2 Tbps lemon juice
-Pinch of kosher salt
-Standard ale yeast (you could use bread yeast I am guessing)

Grab a 2 liter soda bottle from someone unfortunate enough to be drinking store bought soda, and make sure it is clean. I grabbed a microplaner that I usually use for orange zest for Wit's and limoncello and took it to the ginger like a madman. I added some warm water to the bowl full of mangled ginger to make a tea basically. I let this sit, added the sugar, lemon juice, salt, and some water to the bottle, and shook it to combine. I then got a mesh strainer, put it inside a funnel, and poured my ginger tea through the strainer. I pressed the remaining ginger in the strainer to get rid of the remaining liquid and discarded it (next time I might let the whole thing sit on the ginger). I filled the remainder of the 2 liter with water, leaving some headspace, and shook it again, leaving it in a warm place for a few days until it carbonates. It smells amazing, but I will do a trip report later.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

fullroundaction posted:

Reminds me of: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ginger-ale-recipe/index.html

I'm surprised the page doesn't mention that you're making booze :ssh:

Haha, I think it is only .25% or something. I usually love AB's stuff, so I am surprised I haven't seen that episode before. Maybe next time I will adopt his recipe, but his homebrewing episode was pretty flaky.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Hey fullround, another question on your Skeeter Pee recipe. When you carb it up, do you backsweeten at all?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
After two days, my 2 gallon test batch of Skeeter Pee has finally shown some activity!

I used a combination of DME and table sugar, just as fullround suggested, but I added some zest at the end of my brief boil to give it some extra kick (in addition to the zest he suggests at the end of fermentation). It smells really interesting so far!

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
How accurate is Hopville's SRM Color Calculator? Brewing Classic Styles has their Irish Red Ale at 17 SRM, which I calibrated as the color "Red". In Hopville, throwing some ingredients in the list I get an SRM of 11.0, which it lists as "Copper to Red/Lt. Brown". BeerSmith 2 gives me a 12.4 SRM for the same recipe.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I remember seeing a number of you do raw grain Berliner Weisse brews, where you pull 2 gallons from the sparge and throw some raw grain in it for a couple of weeks. How did those end up turning out? I really need a low alcohol beer for summer. I am guessing you went 50/50 with Pilsener/Wheat, aimed for about 1.033, and used a clean ale yeast for your primary? How long did you let it sit for?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

crazyfish posted:

My neighbour and I bottled a single-hop Belma IPA today, and we got into discussing what we're going to do with the other pound and a half of Belma I have and the half pound of cascade he has. Has anyone ever tried to make a hoppy Berliner Weisse before? I would use very, very few bittering hops but Belma has this crazy tropical fruit flavour that would work really well with a bit of tart mixed in. It feels ridiculous, but I can't imagine us doing anything else.

I'm a huge fan of Belma, and figuring that I got it for a couple bucks a pound, I love it even more. Hoppy BW might be overpowering, though.

For all the sour brewers out there, I am a little worried about my first one. I have had a session brown ale sitting on some Brett L and some oak for ~6 months, and have not moved it during the entire time. I was forced to move it tonight, and the pellicle broke up and fell. Did I break my Brett?!?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
My first ever 'sour' beer (Brett L pitched in primary with some S04) is finishing up after 6 months and I want to start a new one right away to keep the chain going. Do I:

1) Completely scrap the bugs because it also has old yeast in it?

2) Brew a new batch and pour over all the old trub?

3) Any other ideas?

I had my beer sitting on some oak cubes as well, so if I do end up pitching all the old bugs, I could just transfer the oak cubes to the new beer, thus saving some of that delicious Brett L.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Bought a bottle of Madrugada Obscura for the deliciousness and the dregs. I think Mad Fermentationist mentioned how using the dregs from the bottles nets you a great beer and some great bugs, for the same price as Wyeast would sell you just the bugs.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Busy brew weekend, starting with a dark saison that will go on some Brett L and Jolly Pumpkin Dregs in a week or so. After cooling that down, I mashed a Berliner Weisse and drained it onto some Acidulated malt, cooled it to 100 degrees, and let it sit for 48 hours to get super sour. I boiled and cooled it tonight, pitching in some Minneola zest for a little extra tang. I forget who posted this originally, but I used their link for my Berliner Weisse sour mash technique: http://anarchylane.com/blog/?p=1442.

It really smells and looks pretty funky after 48 hours, but I checked it after 24 and was not anywhere near as tangy as I wanted it.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I haven't brewed a high gravity beer in awhile, and when I made a dark saison last weekend, I ended up with really low efficiency. I attribute this to low sparge volume, which I usually guesstimate a value after I have had a couple of beers. I have seen a number of calculators online. Are these effective? What do you goons use?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Alright, experienced homebrew competitors, I have no idea what category to enter this beer in:

Oak Cubes: French medium toast 2 oz
English Maris Otter Malt - 7 lbs.
English Brown Malt - 2 lb.
Wyeast 5526 Brettanomyces Lambicus
Safale S-04 Ale Yeast

Aged for ~6 months. On the nose, oak is apparent with a vanilla flavor. Initially I smell pineapples, vanilla, and chocolate. Taste is tart initially, followed by vanilla and bittersweet chocolate. Do I throw this in the Oud Bruin category? Straight Lambic because of the yeast? Wood aged beer?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Docjowles posted:

Pretty interesting call. If it was milder on the oak and tartness I'd say it's a decent bet for Old Ale. The brett sounds too dominant to really fit in Wood Aged, too. There is no mention of wood at all in Oud Bruin. Way too dark and malty for Lambic. My 2 cents would be 16E "Belgian Specialty Ale" with the caveat that I am by no means a BJCP judge :)

I was hoping that there was a more inclusive, general sour category, but as I look at the BJCP guidelines, this beer does not seem to fit in anywhere. Honestly, it is delicious, but the Specialty category is usually so overrun with Peanut Butter Porters, I don't think this will even get noticed.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

zedprime posted:

Reading the post I was thinking the same thing. The catch all category is a hell of a place to try and stand out but if you're heading for the margins its the only place to try with how specific BJCP tends to be.

I am considering just throwing it into the Oud Bruin category just for the shits and gigs. It is not special enough for the Special category, and way too special for the Oud Bruin, but at least it will get noticed.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Oak Cubes question: how long until all of the flavor is leeched out of them? I have 2 oz of French Oak that were sitting in a beer for 6 months, and that one is pretty drat Oakey. I want the bugs that were in that last beer, which I have heard infect oak really well and are a good way to transfer bugs, but I do not want a lot of oak in this beer. Any worries?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

CapnBry posted:

I thought hops didn't flower until July-August. My first year Cascade plant seems to be having a problem with its internal clock. Does this mean it is going to put out hops for the next few months? The primary vine is already over 20 feet tall and I'm not sure what to do about it.

A first year plant that is already 20' tall? My record is 6' on the first year. What kind of radioactive fertilizer did you give that thing?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Jo3sh posted:

I haven't racked a batch to secondary for... poo poo, ten years or more, as far as I can recall.

It's not just yeast quality, it's also yeast quantity, and overall quality of ingredients. We're doing way better overall as homebrewers as making sure our yeast has good conditions to work in. A good homebrewer is not exactly a commercial brewer, but it's less far off than it used to be. All of us, even those who don't brew, are drinking better beer than our parents did.

Amen, brother.

I have made a couple of wine kits before, but I would like to buy some whole grapes this year and do it the 'real' way. I found a place in my city that sells wine grapes, but I what quantity should I buy for a 5 gallon batch?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

hellfaucet posted:

Man, I gotta do this with a bunch of Jolly Pumpkin Oro...

Just threw some dregs of Madrugada Obscura into a dark saison a month ago. So excited!

On another note, I finally took the FG of my regular saison (OG 1.052) that I used the White Labs 565 (Classic Dupont) strain in. I had heard the horror stories of it stalling at 1.015 and never going down, but after some time in a couple of warm rooms, the measured FG was 1.002. I am going to save this strain for awhile. Unfortunately, no kegs are empty.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Cointelprofessional posted:

Depending on the freshness, those dregs are great. I've got a clone that's been dregs only for the past year and it tastes wonderful. It's tart and roasty and I can't wait to bottle it. I only wish that Dark Dawn wasn't a seasonal release because everyone here can't seem to get enough of it. Their dregs are wonderful.

I grew up in Traverse City, so whenever I am around the area I usually grab a bottle of that or Bam. It helps to be from the area in terms of freshness.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
For those of you that were talking about a Chocolate Wheat a couple of pages back, if you can get access to Short's Brewing Company beer, try out this bad boy: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9629/17909

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

EnsignVix posted:

Here's my little T/R for the NHC. It was, put simply, really awesome. I got to meet Papazian, Mosher, Zainasheff, Hieronymous, Cantwell, Brad Smith, Gordon Strong, and a ton of awesome homebrewers. There was of course no shortage of homebrew to try, a lot of which was quite good. Nearly all of the seminars were super informative and we ended up taking home quite a haul of free stuff acquired from the expo. Speaking of the expo, the vendors were extremely accessible and very helpful with detailed questions I had regarding their products. Highly recomended for anyone thinking about going to them in the future. Thank you WarrenH again for the tickets.

After getting home I promptly brewed a couple saisons and barreled 14 gallons of my 9% stout.

I just did a split batch with this yeast in one vessel and WYeast French Saison in the other. First time using it as well, although I decided to go 70F. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Strong judged the last beer I entered into a Homebrew competition. I was so honored I didn't even mind that he repeated "Not to style" in all of the categories of my score sheet.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Mikey Purp posted:

The beer out post on my keg is leaking :(

I've used keg lube, tightened the post, and replaced the o-rings on the post and inside the disconnect. Still leaks, although only when the disconnect is actually attached. Poppets are pretty much the only other possibility at this point, right?

I think mine is leaking as well. I poured 4 oz of sugar into my Saison to carb it up, and it wasnt carbed when poured my first pint for the 4th. I noticed some beer leaking out of the post. Do I just buy a new one?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
For those of you who have had Ballast Point's Grapefruit Sculpin (or those of you who have made a grapefruit PA/IPA), I am looking for some advice. I read the recent MadFermantationist article on Grapefruit Pale Ale, and it seemed like the fruit flavor was very subdued. His response to increasing the citrusy flavor was to maybe add a carton of grapefruit juice to the beer to really let the flavor kick out.

Any advice/ideas on how to make a strong, grapefruity IPA (in addition to the vast amounts of grapefruit/citrusy hops I will be pouring in there)?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I am planning on brewing a Munich Helles and a Bock or Doppelbock. My go to lager yeast has been White Labs Bock yeast, but I am wondering what your house lager yeasts are and why.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Any of you guys make wine from whole grapes, but do not use a press? I was thinking of doing some stomping and then straining with some paint straining bags. Thoughts?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Cpt.Wacky posted:

drat it. I just paid $40 for shipping on an order yesterday.

Also, regarding carboy carrying talk: they fit in milk crates pretty well.

Cancel? Submit a help request to get it changed?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

fullroundaction posted:

I had the idea of adding hibiscus to a wheat beer (I drink a lot of tea with it) and I just noticed a couple days ago that the Mad Fermentationist did the same thing and loved it.

He made a 3cups of water to 3oz of hibiscus flowers tea and added it directly to the fermenter. I was going to just dryhop with it but his way is probably more reliable and safe. I don't really want to water down my wheat batch, so is there anything wrong with using the beer instead of water? I don't know if there are any off flavors created by briefly boiling beer with suspended yeast.

The thing I hate about MadFermentationist is that every recipe he does sounds so drat delicious. When it comes time to actually brew something, I have a very hard time deciding what to do.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Midorka posted:

So Mr. Malty has got to be wrong. It's recommending a 1.2 liter starter for a 1.044 beer.

Lager? Really old yeast?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

wattershed posted:

For sure.

Also, 6-row? I don't remember the last time I've seen someone bust out a recipe on here with that grain.

I use 6-row for my Classic American Pils.

Just kegged my 1 pound of hops Rye IPA, and man does it taste amazing.

code:
9# Crisp Maris Otter
4# Weyermann Rye
2# Weyermann Vienna
1# Briess Caramel 120
0.5 tsp Gypsum
1 Whirfloc tab
-Mashed at 152

OG: 1.076
FG: 1.010
ABV: 8.7%

Hop Schedule!
4 oz Belma 11.3% @ First Running Hops
2 oz Belma 11.3% @ 20 minutes
2 oz Belma 11.3% @ 5 minutes
3 oz Belma 11.3% @ flameout
3 oz Belma 11.3% @ 2 weeks dry hop
3 oz Belma 11.3% @ 1 week dry hop

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

crazyfish posted:

Do you get a "strawberry cream" taste from the Belma? I loved the flavour I got out of mine. I'll be buying a shitload more when they drop again as my 10lb 2-row + 1lb crystal 40 + 60 IBU belma + us-05 simple IPA came out super delicious and unique.

I bought 2 pounds of it last fall for really cheap (probably as you did), and depending on the malt bill I got either strawberry, honeydew, or a combo. I think I read what the flavor profile was supposed to be before I tasted it though, which probably influenced my palate.

This beer, uncarbed, had an almost tropical flavor to it, so we will see what happens to it. I might have to try your recipe as well, as I love those simple malt bills with tons of fruity hops in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

ScaerCroe posted:

code:
9# Crisp Maris Otter
4# Weyermann Rye
2# Weyermann Vienna
1# Briess Caramel 120
0.5 tsp Gypsum
1 Whirfloc tab
-Mashed at 152

OG: 1.076
FG: 1.010
ABV: 8.7%

Hop Schedule!
4 oz Belma 11.3% @ First Running Hops
2 oz Belma 11.3% @ 20 minutes
2 oz Belma 11.3% @ 5 minutes
3 oz Belma 11.3% @ flameout
3 oz Belma 11.3% @ 2 weeks dry hop
3 oz Belma 11.3% @ 1 week dry hop

Just tried this all carbed up and cold, and drat is it hoppy! While flat and warm it was very fruity, smooth, and the hop flavor was very rounded (I actually thought "I didn't put enough hops in this"), but a little carbonation and some colder temps and that thing punches like Pliny.

The 3rd generation Dupont strain I used is not noticeable in flavor at all, but it really helped dry the beer out so that the hops shine through.