Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So holy crap, its been 8 days since I bottled my first homebrew and I just popped the first bottle. It...it tastes like beer! And good beer! Its quite hoppy but a bit sweet still. Amazing how much the taste has changed in only one week. I can't wait to see how it continues to develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Quick question- I just bought a Bavarian Hefeweizen extract kit from Northern Brewer that I'm going to make today. The recipe instructions tell me:

-At start of boil, put in hops and half the LME
-At the 45min mark, put in the rest of the LME and the pack of DME

Now, reading the reviews of this kit, a lot of people are saying that to get the color and taste closer to a true hefe, I shouldn't put the LME in (all of it) until the 45min mark. That would mean for 45min, all I've got boiling is water and hops, which seems pretty weird to me? Is it? This will only be my 3rd batch doing extract so really I have no idea.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok, that makes sense. I'd like to keep it on the lighter side if I can, I've certainly noticed so far that regardless of taste you're going to get a dark brew from extract every time. I think I'll throw in half the DME at 60min, then pour all the rest in with the LME at 15.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

indigi posted:

Make sure you cut the flame and add the LME first cause the DME will explode over the top of your kettle if the wort's still near boiling. I learned that lesson the hard way, then forgot it and learned it again on my third brew.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. This is my first time using a dry malt extract so I probably would have done the same thing!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mewse posted:

basically every racking cane has a tip on it so that it's not sucking liquid from the surface on the bottom of the chamber.

discarding a bunch of beer because you got cloudy bits is dumb, it's just yeast, it's not gonna hurt anything and it will settle out later. the majority of the cake stays on the bottom even if you tip the bucket to suck up absolutely everything, it's just that the last stuff you suck out looks pretty gross.

My first batch my buddy gave me a funnel with a removable screen. When I poured the wort in my fermenter and when I went to transfer to the bottling bucket I used it to filter out the hops/yeast. Dunno if that was actually the right thing to do or not, I figured since he gave it to me I was meant to use it... In the end I don't think it screwed up anything. :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mewse posted:

i strain the wort when i pour into the primary, that's normal, you're removing the hops and the hot break and cold break.

leaving an inch of beer in your fermenter because the siphon is sucking some yeast isn't a good thing tho

why were you using a funnel when you transferred to the bottling bucket?

Just to get the last few drops of beer from the carboy that were mixed with the gunk. And is it really necessary to strain it before primary? I don't have a strainer now that I bought my own kit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got my fermentation bucket in a closet, where my thermometer reads 66 degrees. However, the thermometer on the bucket says its 72, and ideally I'd like to get it down to 68. I don't have a basement or anything temp controlled that I can put this in. Is there anything I can do to drop the temp short of turning off the heat in here? I've even considered sticking it in my drafty window because its a whole 0F outside today.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Retemnav posted:

Wrap it in a wet towel or tshirt, turn a fan on it. Not terribly accurate, but it'll cool it down. Then you just have to keep re-wetting it every couple of hours...

So I guess that's a no then. :v: Welp, moving it next to the window that is covered in ice on the inside. That should do it for a day or two until it goes back up to 40 here....

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Unfortunately, not everyone has enough room for a massive industrial grade restaurant refrigerator

I have a small 2-keg fridge that I use for fermentation whenever my kegs are empty, but living in an apartment I occasionally have to resort to using a 15 gallon tubberware container filled with water and my fermenter placed in that. I find it's fairly accurate, works pretty well and doesn't cost me a dime.

What does this keep the temp at? And what is your air temp generally? Might have to do this the next time I want to ferment something below 70, I don't have the space or the $$$ to be buying fridges.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Super Rad posted:

Since I work from home I took some readings for you:

Air temp - 69*
Water around my carboys - 63*

This is probably slightly confused by the fact that my GF turns on the heater in the mornings, but I take readings several time a day usually and the temperature rarely swings and because each bucket has ~10gal of water total in it the total thermal mass means the swings are very small.

I guess I could still try this method with my current batch as its been less than 24 hours since fermentation began, but for now I've got it near an outside wall and the air temp seems to be 58*, with bucket temp slowly dropping to about 69* right now. On Sunday its supposed to get a lot warmer here and/or I might decide closing the hot air vents in my bedroom was a dumb idea tonight, so maybe I should. I realize all the temp swings are probably a terrible thing for the beer, but hey this being an extract brew and all, I'm just trying to ghetto it up to the max. :v:

At the very least I'll try this method from the beginning with my next batch if needed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok, I decided to try the water bath technique for my fermentation bucket. Right now I've got it in about 10gal of water at 62*. Googling tells me ideally I should keep the water at 62* if I can for the next 4-5 days or so. I think I should be fine without adding ice for the next couple of days, but I'll be monitoring the temperature to be sure.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

indigi posted:

In the future, you want to avoid rapid (i.e. more than a couple degrees per day) temperature swings as it can cause the yeast to misbehave in a number of ways. Once the bubbling slows down I'd recommend you take it out and let it warm up again, maybe rock the fermenter back and forth a bit to get some extra yeast back into suspension and finish up.

Good to know. I got it from 72 to probably 66 over the course of the day, less than 24hrs after I pitched the yeast. What kind of bad things can I expect if I've screwed it up at this point?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok goons tell me what I need to be doing here because I feel like I'm really loving up this batch. When I left today, the water temp around my fermenter was 64. I put in more ice and off I went. Eight hours later, despite the fact the closet this thing is sitting in is 60 degrees, the water is up to 72. I've been having a really hard time keeping the water temp consistent, should I try to get it back down to 64 or at this point just...let it go? I'm on day 4 and its still bubbling away quite vigorously.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Local Yokel posted:

That's a lot of heat to come from your yeasties. I can't imagine where it's all coming from. Is it possible your thermometer is poorly calibrated? This seems like the most likely.

Worst case scenario, your beer ends up having a little off-flavors that aren't characteristic of the style. I'll bet it's still worth drinking in the end, and you can re-examine your steps and fix something before your next brew day.

Its definitely possible, I'm just using a cheapish food thermometer sitting in the water, and another one sitting on the floor near the bucket to register air temp. Since reading the whole discussion about the importance of temperature control I've been rethinking ideas of getting a minifridge to be a kegerator/fermentation uh 'vessel' that would make things more constant. Otherwise, I guess I'll never be able to make something that needs to be cold fermented.

Its certainly a learning process because I don't think I paid much attention at all to ferm temps in my first two batches.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have a 4.4cu ft minifridge now that I use as a beer fridge. While doing beer batch #3 I've been thinking that maybe I should get a new minifridge (5cu ft or larger) to turn into a fermentation fridge. Then I was also thinking how rad it would be to build a kegerator and start kegging my beer. But now I'm not sure which I should make my priority, since I really don't have the kind of space or money right now to do both.

My options are is:
a) turn current minifridge into a kegerator, and not buy a fermentation fridge
b) buy a larger minifridge that can be a combo fermentation fridge and kegerator, I just wouldn't be able to use it for both functions at the same time
c) throw caution to the wind and turn current minifridge into kegerator, and wait until the end of the school year and buy a used 5cu ft+ minifridge from some college kid moving home

What kind of an investment am I looking at for a fermentation fridge? Beside the cost of the fridge it's my understanding that I'd only really need a digital thermostat right? And what size would I need to be able to hold at least 2-5gal buckets at the same time?

Scope creep......

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So does no one sanitize their bottles by running them through their dishwasher once and letting them steam dry? Because thats what I've done thus far, seems pretty easy to me.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 4, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

internet celebrity posted:

Nothing really. That is, if you're willing to brew in a bag. http://vimeo.com/35571624

I did my first all-grain batch this way last weekend and it only cost me a few dollars for a big grain bag. Extra bonus: small batch size means you get to brew more often!

Dang, a bag is all I need to go all-grain? And the downside is only that I gotta keep it to 3gal batches? Sign me up!

(Thanks for the link, this video is really interesting and informative even though some of their terminology is going right over my head.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The only other downside is you're probably going to get low efficiency but you can pad it out by beefing up the grain bill a bit or using a bit of extract to bump it up.

I guess this is the part I didn't understand completely. How would I know how much more to use, is it a fixed percentage and/or would recipes tell me that?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's something you'll have to play with a bit and experiment with. For instance, in my brew I came up about 15 points short and I think it's because I had a coarse grind, didn't stir the mash enough (had some ~1" dough balls when I pulled the grain out), and didn't mash long enough. Next time I'll get a fine grind, stir really well, and mash for 75-80 minutes. I might boil a little longer as well because I had about 3.2 gallons instead of 3 when I transferred to the fermenter. But hey, it's all a learning process.

Guess I'm gonna need a bigger brew pot....

drat there are way too many options out there. And if I get a giant pot I am probably gonna need to finally get a wort chiller. And and and.....

Scope creep.

quantegy posted:

The Biabrewer forum is where I did most of my reading, they have a spreadsheet for calculating batches.

Thanks, will be checking this out.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 7, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

beetlo posted:

I have the 25' stainless and it is indeed very nice.

Thanks, I think I'm picking one of these up right now.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MomJeans420 posted:

That's who I got it from! Off of amazon, but fulfilled by ny brew supply. For everyone else who ordered one, make sure to test it out right away.

Well gently caress! I hope mine is awesome like the other posters' and not poo poo like yours. :ohdear:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lazerwolf posted:

I do brew in the kitchen but unfortunately my kitchen sink faucet is weird and doesn't have the usual screw on aerator. So unless I brew at a friend's house and transport the bucket back to my place I'm SOL on the immersion chiller at the moment

Can you go to a hardware store and see if there are any adapters you can buy? What about some kind of flexible tubing that you can tie on with a compression clamp or something?

I used a chiller on my first batch and had a similar issue* but just assumed I'd be able to do one of the two things above once I get my own in. I guess time will tell.

*Ended up having to take it in the bathroom where it fit a bit better and hold my hand over the faucet+connector to keep it from spraying water everywhere.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lazerwolf posted:

That's a good idea I never thought of. I'll have to take a picture of the faucet tonight to see if there's anything that can be done.

You should be able to unscrew the aerator on the end and take it to some store and see if it will fit in anything. The might be the easiest way to do it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Using one of those portable burner things, how quick would you expect to go through one regular sized propane tank?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just bottled my third batch of beer, a Bavarian hefeweizen. I guess I'm getting more efficient at this as I was able to get 49.5 bottles out of it, versus 44 bottles in my last batch. Hoping to go all-grain with the BIAB method next time. :)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lazerwolf posted:

I'm looking for some input on stock pots/brew kettles. Since I found out that I am able to use a wort chiller through my kitchen faucet, I'm looking to step up to full boil Mini-mashing/BIAB until I have the space to do all grain. I have a stock pot that is probably 4 Gallons at the brim. I have a buddy that has a 5 Gallon pot. What size pot should I be looking for to stovetop minimash/BIAB that can also be used for extract brewing? Bonus if I can use it for actual food cooking as well.

Off the top of my head I was thinking of an 8 Gallon pot but before committing to a purchase I'd like to get a good sized pot that I can utilize if/when I try my hand at All Grain

I'm in the same predicament as you, and I think I've decided on getting a 10gal pot. The only thing holding me back at this point is I haven't decided if I want one with spots already welded onto it for a drain and/or thermometer. I'm thinking yes to a drain, no to thermometer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fedex, print the shipping label at home, drop it off at an authorized Fedex store and don't say a word to them about it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Angry Grimace posted:

Will do. Glad I got the valve. I can barely lift this thing with 6 gallons of liquid in it.

Did you buy this online or locally? How much did you pay?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Scottw330 posted:

I finally learned how to wax and label bottles!

The wax + charms is seriously slick. Wanna drink that beer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody ever put their beer into a minikeg? Like the ones Bell's puts out:

I've got a bunch that I've been keeping for...who knows why (they look cool), but I'm getting kind of sick of them, especially one I have duplicates of. I'm wondering if there is a way I could reuse one with homebrew. Has anyone ever done this?

Or if you have any other bright ideas for the minikegs, I'd love to hear it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Josh Wow posted:

I've only made one sour beer before but it turned out really well and was easy. It was a Flanders red and I just used a recipe out of Wild Brews. I made an oak aged ale a month before I brewed the Flanders since I didn't want it to really have any oakey flavor but wanted the oak chips since I read the porousness of the wood helps with bacterial growth and I was planning to reuse the oak chips to make more sour beers in the future.

I just used a premixed yeast/bacteria blend from Wyeast called the roselare blend, I believe it's still available seasonally. I did a two week primary in a bucket then transferred to a carboy for secondary and added the oak chips. Let it sit in the back of the closet covered up for a year, then bottled it with some fresh US-05. It turned out really amazing and cost like $30 for two cases. I never got around to doing more since I unexpectedly moved and am gonna move again in a few months and moving full carboys of beer sucks. Maybe I'll do one on the day I move into my new place since I'll be there for at least a year.

This sounds kind of rad, I just moved two days ago and have a year long lease. Might have to think about doing a sour......

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cointelprofessional posted:

FYI Northern Brewer is having a 15% off sale on all their beer kits right now until the 20th. Use the code: MakeGreatBeer

Thanks for this, but I guess everyone else knows about it too, because their site is totally down. :(

Edit: Welp, now I can get to it. Time to shop!

Edit 2: FYI for anyone interested, the promo code doesn't include the yeast or priming sugar, etc that you can add on with a kit.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 13, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Splizwarf posted:

Well, dang; I sort of expected as much. Better get on that tub of water, then! I figured on trying to drop it casually over several hours, looks like I should go more slowly.

Good luck with that, I had a hell of a time keeping a constant temp on a hefeweizen I was making, and I was only trying to keep it around 62. I just opened my first one the other day, and while it was good, it didn't taste quite like I had expected. I need to drink another one to know for sure if there are "off" flavors, but my temps were fluctuating all over the place so I probably hosed it up a little.

I bought two kits from the NB sale and both are ok for fermentation up to 72, I don't think I'll be able to make anything that ideally ferments at a lower-than-room temperature until I get a minifridge and convert it into a fermentation cooler/kegerator.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I do 3 gallon BIAB batches (with sparge) in a 5.5 gallon kettle on my stove. I start with 3-4 gallons in the kettle. My grist usually removes around a gallon which brings me down to 2-3 after the mash. When I'm done with the mash I put it in a strainer over the kettle and sparge with the amount I need to bring me back up to 4 gallons before the boil. My boils usually remove a gallon of water in 60 minutes. I brewed this way last Friday and hit 3 gallons on the nose with exactly the efficiency I was planning for, 70%. I love BIAB, it's so freakin simple and easy.

edit: fixed some numbers

Sorry if this seems like a really basic question, since my mind always goes to the acting of mash(ing) potatoes when I think of mash in terms of beer(I'm confusing myself and mixing up the words mash and sparge). But in this case, sparging just means pouring water over the grain (slowly?) to get the volume of water you want, right?

Edited cuz I need to study my brewing terminology more.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 15, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Er sorry yeah, I got my terms mixed up there. I did mean sparge. But thanks for answering my question!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is there some reason a 'bazooka screen' wouldn't work as well as a false bottom in a cooler? I'm starting to reconsider my idea of doing BIAB and converting a cooler instead. I even have one now (rectangular) that maybe I could convert and still use as a food/drink cooler when I'm not making beer?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

How do I know how much priming sugar I should be using when I bottle? My first two batches I used whatever amount my homebrew store gave me, and that seemed to work great. Then my third kit I got from Northern Brewer came with 5oz of priming sugar, and after a month in bottles its disappointingly flat (among other issues). I just bought two more NB kits that also came with 5oz of priming sugar, how can I calculate whether this is enough?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

5oz is enough to get good carbonation on batches up to 5 gallons. I actually severely overcarbed my first batch because I used all 5oz even though I only had around 4 gallons at bottling. What temperature are you storing the bottles at?

Up until about a week ago I had my heat on, set for 65-70F. And they've been in bottles for 4, maybe 5 weeks at this point.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TenjouUtena posted:

What sort of bottles / capper are you using? Could it be there's not a great seal? Do you get that 'psst' when you open the bottle?

I just used the standard 12oz longnecks that I either bought or cleaned the labels off, with your run of the mill caps and a standard kit capper. I don't think it's my equipment since my first two batches using all of the above turned out great as far as carb level goes.

There is definitely some pressure in there, I can hear it release when I open the bottles. But when I go to pour there is very minimal/zero head, and just nothing in the way of bubbling going on and it really affects the taste/feel of the beer. I'm not sure how I hosed it up, its got a really great banana nose to it, but its a bit sweeter than I'd like it to be and, of course, is also flat. I had it in primary for a bit longer than I intended, about 3 weeks, and I know I had issues during fermentation with keeping my temps constant, but I don't know enough to be able to say if any of the above contributed to the lack of carbonation.

I might get some of the carb tabs and try it on a few bottles and see if it helps.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Splizwarf posted:

What did you clean them with? Could a little cleaner residue in the bottle have killed most of your yeast?

I actually just ran them through my dishwasher without any kind of cleaner (twice, actually, since the first night I got too tired to do it so I repeated the process the next day).