Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Jo3sh posted:

Q: Brewing must need a whole bunch of really weird equipment that costs an arm and a leg, right?

A: Not really. There are a few things like a bottle capper that you just won't see outside a homebrew shop, but even the specialty stuff is pretty drat cheap. Starter kits can be had for under $100,

Been thinking about trying out brewing for a long time and I'm ready to get started. One question: would I be better off getting the deluxe kit to start, or is the basic one just fine for now? The cost isn't really an issue, but if I'm going to have an easier time and will be better off in the future just getting better things right now, I'd rather do that.

Back to reading. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to go ahead and take clutchpuck's suggestion and get the glass carboy as well. I am going to start simple, but just wasn't sure if there were things in the deluxe that you guys saw that would make life easier regardless.

Appreciate the quick responses!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Dumb newbie question: a recipe I'm looking to make this weekend calls for "1.75# Caramel/Crystal #20 for steeping"

Is this the correct grain to buy?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

cryospam posted:

I'm guessing that if you find strawberries they're going to be greenhouse ones grown off season as its pretty late for strawberries.

Peaches are in for picking right now in New England, not sure what there is further south or west though.

I'm waiting patiently for peaches here in Colorado. Not quite time yet. I really want to do a peach ale and redeem myself. My last attempt with fruit was kind of disappointing in terms of flavor.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

cryospam posted:

Most of the brew recipes call for a pitiful amount of fruit, and the flavor you are left with represent that. When brewing with fruit, I always start with at least 2-3 pounds of fruit per gallon of beer/mead/wine. It leaves a strong fruit flavor my my Fiancee loves and makes your homebrew really stand out. The fruit jacks the sugar content a bit so you're often left with a bit stronger brew. I made a blueberry ale last year with 3 pounds of blueberries per gallon (run through a juicer, both juice and pulp added to mix) in primary and another 2 pounds per gallon in secondary (also juiced, but this time only liquid was added). I filtered it twice, then bottled & force carbonated it at my buddy's house whose got way more cool brewing stuff than I do. Definitely the best beer I've made to date.

I also have a peach mead in secondary right now that was brewed with 3 pounds per gallon, and another 3 pounds per gallon in secondary. I can't wait for that stuff to be ready, it's going to finish strong, at least 14% but should be a touch sweet, but not cloyingly so based upon the initial specific gravity and the yeast I picked.

This is really helpful, thanks. Last time I used about 1.6lbs / gallon, so 8lbs for a 5 gallon batch with none in secondary. It seemed like a lot at the time. Definitely going to try this next.