Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I've been brewing mead for about a year now and I just found this thread.

Recently bottled a cherry jalapeno melomel and a blueberry cinnamon melomel. Both taste great right now but I imagine in a year they are going to be even better.

Planning on doing something with avocado blossom honey next because man does it taste wild. Kind of like buckwheat but a bit more...vegetal? I feel like some spices and maybe ginger would go great with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

freelop posted:

Got a whole load of rhubarb from the garden in the freeze so decided I'd try making some cider.

Planning on using this recipe, I've never made cider before so are there any glaring issues?

Is this going to bottle carbonate?

If so you probably need to be more precise about gravity readings and remaining sugars.

Based on where it is in the fermentation process when bottling after 9 days it could be completely dry which would mean no carbonation, or there could still be a lot of sugars left meaning you could create bottle bombs.

Typically what I do for bottle carbonation is let fermentation finish (as measured by a hydrometer). Then I’ll dissolve 1 oz of table sugar per gallon into the brew, then immediately bottle. This amount of sugar typically provides a good level of carbonation.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 6, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

Tried my first kveik cider, but I noticed it's pretty dry; how do you all backsweeten? Was thinking about stabilizing the product and then putting some more apple juice back in to make the sweetening less likely to taste artificial, but that may be a stupid idea

Are you planning on carbonating? If so are you carbonating in a keg or bottle carbonating? This will affect how you can backsweeten.