Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers aren’t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!
Quick question. I'm on a strict brewing schedule for an upcoming wedding, and right now my 2 primaries and secondary are all full. Need to brew today, and the Kolsch that was supposed to be done with primary isnt quite done. Yeast/krausen hasn't fully dropped, still bubbling about once every 10 seconds or so. So my options are:

1) Transfer kolsch to secondary

2) Brew new batch into the 5g secondary fermenter with a blowoff (Cream ale, usually fairly vigorous fermentation)

3) Go buy a new fermenter (trying to avoid)

Any input is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers aren’t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!

silver97232 posted:

What I mean is that if you're serious about bottling beer you'll spend $70, if you aren't you'll spend $15

Pardon my ignorance, but why not just push through the uncarbed beer through the picnic tap/bottling wand into bottles with carb tabs, and let the beer condition in the bottle, and forcecarb the balance? Why bottle after the forced carbonation?

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

Darth Goku Jr posted:

It's a bit more precise, reduces oxygen exposure

Oxygen exposure should be the same or less, no? I guess I can understand wanting to bottle beer that's already carbed for the reasons you describe, but I don't know that reduced oxygen exposure is one of the reasons. If I know I want to give away some beer, I usually just do the process I described. I guess it does mean that you don't get a chance to taste it carbed before you give it away, but it works pretty well for me.

As far as having a gallon or two left and needing the keg, I usually just drink it. Take one for the team and all. The wife is usually super impressed with my methodology.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

So, I got an 80 quart pot and banjo burner as a gift recently. It's aluminium and not ported. I'm planning on making the move to 10g all grain now that spring is imminent. I was leaning towards a 48 quart rectangular cooler, with a braided steel hose manifold as a MLT. I had a couple questions I was hoping you could help with.

Should I port the kettle? If yes, what's the best way to do so? The pot is aluminium.

I realize that I'm practically limited to batch sparging, maybe doing a two stage batch sparge if I keep the mash thick. How limiting is this choice in reality? I brew mostly straightforward pale ales currently, because that's what I like to drink. However, I don't want to be unable to do something goofy down the road if I feel like it, because I chose this design up front.

If I have a cooler this size, will I be limited to doing only 10g batches, because the grainbed would be too shallow for a 5g batch? Could I only do big 5g batches?

Is a counterflow chiller necessary for a 10g batch, or can I get away with a bigger immersion chiller? I don't want a plate chiller, because it gives me contamination concerns, and I haven't heard of a straightforward way to clean it. I could get a pressure cooker, I suppose.

Grinder recommendations? Can I really get away with a Corona, or are those just a pita?

Thanks for the help, all. I'm pretty stoked to be making the jump.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

Thanks for the insight, all. My buying finger is getting all itchy. Should be a busy weekend.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

I'd say you're not even guilty of a breach of contract. Most keg agreements I've seen treat the arrangement as a rental, with the deposit used as liquidated damages. I don't return the keg, I don't get my money back. The agreement usually serves to make sure the person buying is old enough, and tries to mitigate the shop's civil liability for alcohol related shenanigans.

Sidebar: I will point out that in Wisconsin, it is a misdemeanor to "Intentionally fail to return any personal property which is in his or her possession or under his or her control by virtue of a written lease or written rental agreement after the lease or rental agreement has expired." The key here would be "intentionally", as well as the term of the agreement being defined as x weeks, with liquidated damages as a time boxed backstop. Never mind the practical difficulty of convincing a DA that a lazy college student is guilty of a misdemeanor for failing to return a keg and forfeiting their deposit.

Wisconsin has a statute that makes it a misdemeanor for scrap dealers to buy an keg unless they have "made a diligent inquiry into whether the person selling the proprietary article has a legal right to do so, and, not later than one business day after purchasing the proprietary article, submits a report to a local law enforcement department describing the proprietary article and submits a copy of the seller's or deliverer's identifying information under subd. 1."

I'm all for trying to stick it to SAB, but in reality they probably aren't feeling the burn. They likely hold the distributor responsible for the actual replacement cost. The distributor will then pass that responsibility on to the shop, as much as possible. The ultimate weight being carried by one of the three will be based largely on the relative market strengths of the players. SAB can make the distro responsible for the whole deal. Your local microbrewer cannot.

So, if you liquidate a keg, do so from one of the big boys, but do so because it is less likely to hurt a small brewer, not because it is going to hurt the big one.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

Fraud is hard to prove, particularly fraud in the inducement, and particularly when you have damages to cover breach built in. DON'T LOOK AT THIS THREAD PROSECUTORS. Arguing that you tricked the other person into entering a contract they wouldn't have entered into but for the fraud, when there is baked in cost to cover loss, is approaching impossible.

It's not a loan, but I appreciate your analogy. The fact that it's a bad contract for them speaks only to the fact that it's a bad contract, but it doesn't impose obligations on your actions. Banks default when it's favorable, so should you. The counterargument is that low keg deposits encourage higher volumes of beer sales. If deposits covered actual loss, it would hurt sales. They're willing to risk a partially secured arrangement to increase volume.

The breweries are concerned with theft and scrap sales, and the deposit cost reflects that. (scrap value of a keg is ~$12, deposits are usually higher than that). They're not concerned with the random homebrewer.

Bleston Humenthal fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 6, 2012

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

Wrong. Take advantage of poor contracting practices. They'd do the same for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

wafflesnsegways posted:

So I'm brewing all the beer for my wedding, and decided to make some of northern brewer's patersbier recipe as the the low-alcohol, yellow fizzy beer of the night.

After two weeks of fermenting, and 10 days in the bottle, I just tried one. (Really early, I know, but I am on a SCHEDULE here, and need to know if I should make more or switch recipes.) It tasted... great, actually, but really, really Belgiany. So I'm worried it may not actually be a good beer for people who just want something light and familiar.

So will that belgian funk die down much? Or is it just going to be a strong-tasting beer? This is the first time I've used a belgian yeast, so I'm not really sure how they age.

It will likely remain fairly flavorful, but it should drop off a bit over time. I ran into the same problem brewing for my wedding. I ended up going with a cream ale for the easy drinker. It worked well.