Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Josh Wow posted:

I'm doing a 10 gallon batch of a dunkelweissen type beer that has 30% wheat and 20% rye and I just noticed I didn't grab any rice hulls. I'm just gonna do a beta glucan rest and pray.

Much to the chagrin of the assholes at the LHBS, I have yet to have a stuck sparge with my 70% wheat hef recipe. I use a beta glucan rest but also a double-decoction mash. Let us know how it turns out :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I've gone a couple months before using crushed grain; it was stored in a ziploc bag inside the 5gal cooler I no longer use.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
It sounds like you're brewing an ale, which means racking to secondary is a lot of :effort: and unnecessary.

Just dryhop in the primary.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Yes its best to wait until after fermentation has settled down. I usually wait 7-10 days before dryhoping.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Splizwarf posted:

Also, don't leave it sitting in the sun or in your car in the summer, the flash point is only 121F.

Ok now I really want to test this. :science:

krushgroove posted:

this probably explains the suds, I guess.

StarSan will always create suds if its still viable, this is not a bad thing but a great thing.

Home Brewing Thread III: Five Star sponsorship pending

j3rkstore fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 11, 2012

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Guess who left the kegerator door open a crack :v:

I'm currently defrosting it in the garage on a pile of towels. I keep telling myself I needed to take it apart and clean it anyways.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Jo3sh posted:

Thermostats? I use the cheapo Johnson Controls one (http://morebeer.com/view_product/16663/102282/Analog_Temperature_Controller) and it works fine with setup just as easy as you describe.

I have two of these and they work great.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Stopped by the LHBS and picked up supplies to brew a Hef and Pale Ale this weekend. They were out of my preferred yeasts (who doesn't have wy1272?) so I picked up wy1450 - Denny's and wy3056 - Bavarian Wheat Blend. Anyone have experience/tips/feedback on these two strains? Its my first time using both.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
also make sure you cut vent holes in the ring around the bottom of the keg, they've been known to explode when heated if they arn't vented.

while i see notches on both kegs in the pictures you provided you want to make sure there's no place for air/gas to get trapped and seek to expand.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I buy the local supermarket's (non-distilled) bottled water before every brew day. The city water in my town isn't terrible to drink, but I feel that its not worth the risk.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

withak posted:

That stuff is probably also tap water, just from somewhere else.

Probably, but on the plus side it doesn't intermittently smell like a frog died in it.

Angry Grimace posted:

That's going to get more expensive than just buying an undercounter filter very quickly. Campden tablets will remove chloramines in like 5 minutes at a rate of 1 tablet for 20 gallons and cost something like 5 cents per tablet.

It definitely tacks on an additional $10 to the brewing cost, but i can live with it. I'm not about to install an inline filter as I currently rent and have a Brita filter for my drinking water filtration needs.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Speaking of Denny, my first yeast-harvesting experiment is Wyeast 1450. I need to pick up some mason jars from Walmart tomorrow :haw:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Any problems with oxidation?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Jo3sh posted:

I'm pretty sure the pros don't get to drink at all while brewing.

So much for my dreams of becoming a pro brewer.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Just store it at 50*F and pretend every poorly-carbed bottle is "Real Ale"

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
So I've been thinking lately that I want more constructive feedback than my friends provide ("its good"). Does anyone know of a good place to find competitions that I can enter? I've been entering Sam Adams' homebrew stuff for the past couple of years but the 6 month lag time on results is a little annoying.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Josh Wow posted:

Stick it in your fermentation chamber til you get to pitching temps. If you sanitize well it won't be an issue, I've gone 24 hours before and the beer turned out fine.

I also do this all the time and haven't had a problem.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
You'll find out pretty quickly that a 5 gallon mash tun is undersized, but if you aren't yet doing full boils I think that is more important right now.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
From the product description it comes with Sanke-style connectors so you need to make sure you get that additional Sanke => Ball Lock connector (maybe two of them?) otherwise the ball lock kegs wont connect up to the taps.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I would also invest in an external temperature controller as they are much more accurate than the built-in temperature dial.

For example: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=49

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Josh Wow posted:

Anyone have experience with a beer gun? I hate bottling from the keg and my carbonation is never right.

I have a beer gun and love it. I've dispensed into 22s and growlers without issue, and carbonation is great. When bottling I usually put about 8-10psi into the keg and vent the excess. As long as the keg is cold I don't have any foaming issues.

If you get one, buy a few extra of the rubber stoppers on the bottom of the gun. It really sucks to lose one mid-batch and have beer spewing all over the place while you frantically try to bottle the rest.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I've been dumping my whole starter into the wort for the past couple years :smith:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I just kegged this year's Cider which I made with Nottingham. Today is one week shy of 2 months in primary and it was crystal clear. The hygrometer sample is as dry as you might think it would be but it isn't hot at all and there is a decent bitter apple flavor remaining.

The O.G. was 1.088 and I checked it after about a month of 64* and it only had made it down to 1.026. I took it out of the chest freezer to bring it up to 72* or so and finished at 0.997.

I thought about back-sweetening it but :effort: I only have lactose on hand and that would really only go towards mouthfeel right?

Its a pretty simple recipe, just dump, stir and wait:

5 gal non-sorbate pasturized local orchard cider
2 lbs dark brown sugar
2 lbs light brown sugar
1 lb white sugar
2 pkg Danstar Nottingham - direct pitch no rehydration or aeration

The holidays should be pretty happy :v:

j3rkstore fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 3, 2012

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
If you are on the fence about getting a thermapen, do it. Not only is it a fantastic tool, but their customer service is top notch.

I just RMA'd mine which had a strange short somewhere, causing it to error out if you opened the probe too far. I called customer service and not only did they replace my defective one for free, they sent me an RT600 for free to hold me over while I waited for the RMA process.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
That will work if you have it at serving temperature, but it will be undercarbed if its at room temperature.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I forget who ran it last year, but is there interest in doing a Goon Holiday Homebrew Secret Santa (GHHSS) this year?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Home Brewing Thread IV: My God it's Full of Star San

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
My immersion chiller leaks and it takes awhile to cool down the wort to any acceptable temperature so I was thinking about putting together a counterflow for next year. Anybody have experience with the build-your-own variety? Is it worth the time?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Diacetyl rest time for my lager, I'm excited to try it in 4 weeks :frogbon:

code:
7 lbs 	Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
3 lbs 	Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
8.0 oz 	Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)
1.0 oz 	Tettnang [4.5%] - Boil 60 min
1.0 oz 	Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz 	Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.0%] - Boil 3 min
0.5 oz 	Tettnang [4.5%] - Boil 3 min
 	Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) - 1.5L Starter
90min @ 151*
10min @ 168*
90 minute boil
9 days @ 50*
5 days @ 64*
28 days @ 38*

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
:effort:

I just bought a few extra stir bars.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Paladine_PSoT posted:

SA Homebrew Secret Santa!!!

I'm in! Now to figure out what is going to be ready to ship :ohdearsass:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Lastly and furthest away is Strange Brew in Marlboro MA.

This is also the shop currently in a legal battle with Strange Brewing Co. in Colorado.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I have a journal I keep my hand-written recipies and notes in :corsair:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I'm so lazy I'll even lager in the primary (~4wks), and I haven't had any bad batches yet.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I checked in on my ciders last night. I pitched them about a month at 68* and the OG for both 5gal batches was 1.090.

So far, Wyeast Sweet Mead has chomped one down to 1.014 and Nottingham took the other one down to 1.020.

I made a 1L starter with the Sweet Mead and just used 2 packages of Nottingham without rehydration. Based on notes from last year the Nottingham is working at the same rate. I was concerned until I checked so make sure you keep a log book!

I'm going to raise them to 70* in the hopes that the Wyeast batch will be ready for Thanksgiving, and save the Nottingham batch for Christmas.

I'm also thinking about brewing Il Serpente's tripple decoction Vienna Lager this weekend. It should be an all-day :cheers: affair.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I'm finally able to get back to brewing this weekend after a long hiatus :toot: I'll be easing into it with a single step mash pale ale.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Jacobey000 posted:

I'm tempted to finally brew an oktoberfest though I don't have great lagering availability - I'll assume Cal Common is an okay sub for that, yes?

I tried that a few times and was never happy with the results but I might have been expecting too much since I drink Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr by the gallon.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Would WY1056 be a good strain for a Chocolate Stout or am I better off with WY1272 or WY1450?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
That little amount of wheat is most likely to aid head retention.

Edit -

The IBU calculation on the Nugget addition seems pretty low to me.

I might use another oz of dryhops but it should turn out OK regardless.

j3rkstore fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Yeah you do a good job Paladine_PSoT, you should shoot out your address and maybe all the participants would send you a bottle :cheers:

My Secret Santee should get their stuff on Monday.