Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Darth Goku Jr posted:

When you say dual-stage, do you mean it can heat and cool if needed? IMO I don't see how you'd need both for a single brew- you either know it'll be warmed or cooled from whatever base temp you're dealing with - and the johnson digital only takes about 30 seconds to change cool/heat cut-in/cut-out.

But I don't know your needs.

I live in southwest Missouri so we can have pretty large swings in temperature. That said, my garage stays somewhat warmer than ambient in the winter and probably cooler than ambient in the summer.

I was also hoping with a dual stage I could keep the beer as close as possible to my target temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

stizu posted:

I didn't realize that HBT is a dirty word.

Go back a few pages and find the discussion of the HBT thread about adding human remains to beer.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So I'm looking at picking up a blichmann boilermaker kettle, but wanted to see if anyone had used them and could comment. They seem to be rock solid (and should be fore the price) and I really like the rotatable dip tube, the sight glass and the ball valve that come with it.

My other question is it's not too much more money to go from 15 gallon to 20 gallon. I'm wanting to upgrade to 10 gallons, but was wondering if there's any problem with doing 10 gallon batches in a pot that's twice the volume?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

That's good to hear. It sounds like even if I wanted to do 5 gallon batches I'd be ok in a 20, I'd just have to use a glass floating thermometer to watch my steep temp.

I'm still doing extract batches, but whatever I buy I want to be able to expand to all-grain at some point in the future.

Although right now anything would be better than trying to boil 6 gallons in a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Carbonation affects hydrometer readings right?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Definitely yes. A friend who lurks this thread got his four-tap setup through them, and swapped out for a different regulator, perlick faucets, and all stainless shanks.

Definitely call them to swap out stainless shanks. I didn't realize it didn't come with them and am kicking myself due to the problems I've had with perlick faucets connecting to the chrome shanks.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

What problems? When I built my bar, I parted it from a bunch of different places and at the time, I ended up with chrome shanks (when I move, I intend to rebuild and replace with stainless just because I don't want to eat any more chrome) but I haven't had any problems with the connections, so I'm curious what you're seeing.

The teeth on the chrome shank and perlick faucets don't match up well. It seems a copious amount of keg lube and tightening the ever-loving poo poo out of the faucet sealed it up well enough.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

Yes, pour your sample between two pint glasses about 10 times if you're taking a reading after fermentation has begun. Also make sure to adjust for temperature.

By "after fermentation" you mean "after kegging because I'm lazy", right?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Zakath posted:

I think I might have screwed washing yeast yesterday when I took it from my porter and put it into the barley wine I just brewed. I followed this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/; after about 20 minutes in my carboy, I siphoned the creamy looking middle part of the liquid into the sanitized growler I had on hand, filling it about 7/8 of the way. I then covered it with a piece of sanitized foil, and it sat there. For about two hours while I was finishing the barley mash, boiling/chilling it and siphoning it into my fermenter. The slurry I poured seemed pretty thin, so I plugged the lowest concentration into MrMalty and got about 200ml of slurry (for 2.5 gallons of 1.091 OG barley wine), which I pitched into the wort.

24 hours later, there's really no activity that I can tell, and a bunch of sediment on the bottom of my fermenter. Did I screw up by letting the yeast sit for 2 hours in the growler? Is there any problem with using a 6 gallon carboy to ferment 2.5 gallons of beer? Should I buy some more yeast and pitch it as well? I looked at the two 16 oz mason jars I filled with the slurry to save, and there is a lot less sediment on the bottom than I would have expected. Or, am I just being impatient with this beer? I've never brewed something with this high of a gravity before.

If there's no activity after 3 or so days, then panic. Until then it's probably just fine.

Josh Wow posted:

No, fermentation puts some amount of CO2 into your beer. If you're taking a reading after it's already kegged and carbed I'd be more strenuous about getting the carbonation out. Pour between two pint glasses 10 times, wait 10 minutes, pour another 10 times, wait a few minutes then take your reading.

Yeah, I realize. I was just insinuating that I am terribly lazy. But I'll try out your method for sure! My pale ale tastes a little sweet on the end but still tastes good and is very drinkable.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Looks like morebeer is taking pre-orders for rhizomes. Tempted to order a cascade to try my hand at it. I even bought a book that was supposed to be about growing hops and it had like ten pages. Anyone know of any good guides out there? Really needing some ideas for a trellis and how to cope with growing in the midwest.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Nvm, found it.

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 19, 2012

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Planning on brewing an Amarillo IIPA. My last Pale Ale I made turned out pretty good, although not much hop flavor. I didn't have hardly any middle hops, everything was 60 or <15 min. and while it had a good nose just not hoppy enough flavor for an American Pale Ale. I've got a 30 minuted addition on this, but please comment if you think things should get moved around.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1107001/imperial-ipa-recipes/500kv-iipa

Beer Calculus is giving me way lower IBU's than Beer Smith (beer smith says 116), although in beer smith I moved 6 pounds of the LME to a 15 minute addition, so maybe that's it? The AA is the same both places, and I'm actually using less hops (.5 oz at 30 and 15) in Beer Smith just to stay to style.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

Did my first yeast starter last night.

Is 20 hours too short for a starter even if you used a stir plate? I made a 1 liter starter off a tube of WLP001 around 10pm last night and pulled it off to pitch into 5 gallons at around 5:00 tonight.

I did not see any activity in the starter, but it certainly did seem to have a different color to it than last night. Could the lack of krausen be due to the stirring keeping it from accumulating?

The OG on this particular beer is about 1.059 so I guess it is still going to be OK, but I want to get into the habit of doing a starter every batch. Should prep further in advance next time?

Mine only goes for about 24 hours and then I put it in the fridge for another day and decant. Always have had a very vigorous fermentation.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

poo poo, I am planning on dry hopping two ounces of amarillo. Forgot that, sorry. This beer will use half of my amarillo for the year though :(

But I wanted to do a big all-amarillo beer and this should do it.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

indigi posted:

I think the optimal time for a yeast starter is 40 hours to reach maximum growth

I always wondered, if I put the yeast starter in a sealed, temperature controlled fridge/freezer where there is a finite amount of oxygen is this a bad thing? I imagine the answer is "the yeast will never use up the amount of oxygen in 15+ cf of air".

Also how long is LME typically good for? I'm looking at buying $30 worth of Northern Brewer's Gold LME, but it'd be another $50 minus future shipping for triple the amount (which I guess is only a $10 plus shipping a time or two's savings). If I store it in a fridge or freeze it would it last for 3-4 months?

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 23, 2012

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

100g of DME per liter for starters right?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

Anybody that uses an immersion chiller leaves the lid off their wort when they're cooling it

Wait, they do? I've always slid the lid over most way to keep dust or other particles out. Obviously you can't cover 100% since the tubes stick out of the pot, but.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So I picked up a KAB4 burner and got to use it this weekend.

HOLY poo poo is that thing amazing. Brings 5 gallons up to a boil in no time and is easy to maintain a vigorous boil with the flow turned down to minimum. Definitely worth the money and I'll be able to use the burner it if I ever build a proper brew stand.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

rage-saq posted:

Yes buy a KAB6 if you have the budget. The SP10 is also a good lower budget item. I used one of those for a long time but wish I had some KAB6 heads on my brewstand.
6 minute time to boil might be a little fast but you are probably looking at 10 minutes or so and then turning it down a lot to maintain a healthy boil.

I believe the KAB6 has the same burner as the KAB4, just a bigger stand. Both are 30 PSI jet burners that have the same diameter, but the KAB4 lists it's BTU output whereas the KAB6 doesn't. Pretty sure they're the same burner, which is why I went with the KAB4 since it's cheaper and by the time I can't fit my pot onto the stand that comes with it I hope to have a stand built.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

RiggenBlaque posted:

Here's a neat little paper on the oxygen permeability of different airlocks from the Better Bottle people, if anyone is interested:

http://t.co/qC9ikmb2

Well poo poo I just switched to the plastisol topper with a thermowell to use with my temperature controller. Oh well, hopefully the positive pressure will keep most of the oxygen out.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

TenjouUtena posted:

I was more trying to reassure icehewk that he didn't _need_ to go drop another $70 in order to make good beer.

Like all hobbies, there's always another $70 to spend, to make better beer if not just because ~*~gadgets~*~.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Union Jack is so freaking good, anyone have a clone recipe they really like?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

gently caress you Josh Wow, now I want to go buy a pin even though I'd be able to use it maybe twice a year and it still probably all wouldn't get drank. You are seriously the worst addition to this thread.

By this thread I mean my bank account.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Jo3sh posted:

This is one of the areas where kegging shines. It's easy to transfer beer off the sediment into a fresh keg for a road trip. If you don't need a full keg, growlers are easy to fill and carry along in a cooler.

EDIT: Plus it's cool as hell to be able to say, "Sure, I'll bring a keg of homebrew to the party."

Do you up the pressure on the gas the night before you fill growlers? I filled one once and brought it to a club meeting and it seemed pretty flat. Of course the beer foamed up quite a bit while I was pouring it from the tap into the growler.

How do you dispense and gas at a party? Do you have a 20oz party set up like Kegconnection is selling?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Trane posted:

Keg shell: $55 (deposit my friend paid, if you do this only use large brewery shells, not craft - think Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.)

This is still a pretty lovely thing to do, no matter what brewery.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Why is that lovely? If $55 wasn't a reasonable price for a used keg, the deposit would be higher; since you get it back when you bring back the keg, they could make it $100 or $300 or whatever if they needed to without causing you any greater loss in the end. For example, tool deposits are usually the retail price of the tool.

Not trying to pick a fight; genuinely confused. I thought deposits were always an assumption of loss.

Because it's basically stealing. Putting a deposit down for a keg knowing you're just going to keep it is stealing. Doing this not only gives home brewers a bad name but it increases costs for breweries which you, the consumer, will get to see down the road.

If you buy it off Craigslist or whatever, ok, but just be aware of what you are doing and try to be somewhat ethical in your actions. If people keep doing this we'll just wind up with $200 deposits on kegs which I don't think anyone wants.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Trane posted:

:shrug: What do you think LeeMajors meant when he said "cheap"?

Fine way to welcome me back to the thread. I mentioned this only because it's the sole guideline for many homebrew shops that do keg conversions in town, not to start a discussion on morality.

That's a pretty poor attitude. Maybe poo poo places like HBT will encourage this sort of thing, but new or not, I don't think you'll find anyone here telling you what you are doing isn't stealing and isn't a crappy thing to do, both ethically and for the hobby. If that makes you upset then I don't know what to tell you.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

digitalhifi posted:

On the topic of paying the deposit and keeping the keg:
Yes, it is a pretty lovely thing to do, but what about places that won't accept the keg without a receipt? Some states/places do not allow people to get the refund back if they lose the receipt. Also scrap yards are not supposed to accept kegs in many places. So what does a person who loses that little slip of paper supposed to do with a keg that they cannot return? It can be kind of a catch 22 at times.

Also, HBT will ream anyone out who brings up the keg deposit thing. Its not something you can really discuss without getting flamed.

Good for HBT. I think the case we're talking about is specifically putting a deposit down with the absolute intent of not returning it. My wife's brother-in-law had a renter who skipped out on him and had left behind an empty keg. I told him he could try to return it to the brewery or if he wanted to try to recoup some of his loses (the renter tore up the back yard among other things) he could scrap it. Not the most ethical thing to do, but give the situation I can understand him wanting to get some money back (of course now he's thinking about keeping it and starting to brew :v:)

Basically there's always gray areas. If you can't return it like in the case above or your case, then yeah I think it's better to use it for a hobby than scrap it, but getting one through a deposit not in good faith is lovely. As is suggesting other people do it.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Trane posted:

Already posters have disagreed with you, so I'm not the only one. You don't like my attitude, yet you jump on me for stealing without any other content in your post. I don't support HBT or read their forums, this is what I've been told from multiple local homebrew stores in Seattle. I didn't get a keg for the sole purpose of keeping the shell, this came from my friend who had it for almost a year and it was obvious he wasn't going to return it.

Uh no one has disagreed with me and just because I called you out for suggesting to someone that they "steal from big breweries, not craft breweries!" doesn't mean my post didn't have any content.

I also don't see how your local shops suggesting you steal makes it any more ok.

If that's how you came by it, then ok. I don't care how you got your shell. I care that you suggest to another person and others who may read this thread that it's totally cool to rip off breweries by entering into an agreement not in good faith, but only if it's one of the big boys.

I'm saying it's not and you're getting red in the face about it.

E: oh Ajaarg :allears:

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 5, 2012

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Trane posted:

Great, glad you feel better about yourself after getting on that soapbox. Again, I've been away from the thread for a long time, offer up some feedback regarding multiple ways someone can get a keggle and rather than start a discussion about the pros and cons of getting a keg shell your first response is "You're a thief." Pardon me for being a little bothered by that.

Ugh, nevermind, this isn't worth it as you've contradicted yourself several times just in this post.

Welcome back goon buddy! :frogout:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Bleston Humenthal posted:

Wrong. Take advantage of poor contracting practices. They'd do the same for you!

This is a pretty lovely thing to do.

:psylon:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Has anyone here started a homebrew club or run a homebrew club? I've checked around locally, and it seems like any clubs I can find listed near me are pretty much defunct.

My city has a surprisingly decent beer culture with regards to bars (Irish and English pubs, a biergarten, a belgian pub, a "beer tour" bar with 300+ beers, etc). Not surprisingly, after I started home brewing and talking about it, I've been meeting a shocking number of other home brewers, my kickball league alone has at least 8 brewers.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on starting and running a successful home brewing club, I'd love to hear about it. Everything from finding a bar or other meeting place to picking member dues or examples of meeting agendas, etc.

Our club started out as me and another dude getting together to talk about homebrewing a couple times and then added another guy. It stayed pretty small for a while and then we had an explosion this fall. We decided to organize the club and pass bylaws. We looked at several different club's bylaws and created a document that worked for us.

I'd start slow, just advertise and see who show's up. We've actually had a dropoff in participation it seems since we finalized the bylaws and started taking dues. I wasn't able to go to the meeting last week due because I was sick, so I'm not sure if more people were able to attend this month. We also had to do a sudden change in venue since the place we were meeting closed down.

Just get people together and try to talk about what they want out of it and go from there. If you want to ask specific questions feel free to e-mail me - username@gmail.com.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

http://www.sandiegobeerblog.com/2012/03/23/white-labs-tasting-room-now-open/

White Labs (the yeast company) now has a tasting room in San Diego.

Looks interesting from the homebrewer perspective, at least.

That would actually be really neat and educational.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Any britgoons in this thread that can recommend a good place to get equipment/ingredients? I've got a buddy in the USAF that is stationed over in your neck of the woods and is wanting to get into the hobby, but I have no clue where to tell him to look for stuff.

If there's a decent sized place that does a lot of online business similar to Northern Brewer that'd be the best so I can go through their catalog and send him a shopping list.

They live in Bury St. Edmonds I think? Any input would be appreciated.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Kaiho posted:

I buy from Brewuk.co.uk. Not the level of selection of northern brewer but pretty much anything I've needed.

Thanks! It looks like morebeer ships to APO addresses but not sure how well that would for ingredients.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Has anyone read "A Brewer's Guide to Opening a Nano Brewery" or "Cellarmanship"?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

I've read Cellarmanship, it's a great book about learning all things cask-related.

Is it only about casks or does it talk about storing bottled beer, etc.?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Check kegconnection.com, they sell a hole saw that's appropriate, but I think 15/16" is right.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

WaterIsPoison posted:

I'm looking to do a starter for the Northern Brewer Black IPA extract kit. It has an OG of 1.075 and I'll be using US-05. The problem is that I don't have a stir plate. Will I need to adjust my starter to account for the fact that I'll only be doing manual stirring periodically?

You're in for a treat, that kit is :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So I've had a smack pack sitting in my fridge for a while with a manufacture date of 03/12. I'm thinking of doing a 2L starter tonight and then a 4L starter on Thursday.

According to Mr. Malty I'd have to have 2 packs in order to get enough yeast, but I should be able to use the slurry portion of the calculator to judge if I've grown enough, right?

If after the 4L starter I don't have enough slurry do I just make another 4L or 5L and pitch again?

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 21, 2012