Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Hello brewers!

I just got my first taste of this, and I love it. I got a Mr. Beer kit from my mother in law for my birthday, and I've been powering through that. I've got my 3rd batch fermenting (blackberry wheat) and my 2nd is carbonating. I'm really looking forward to having a LOT more fun with my new hobby.

Where should I go from here? I know this has to be the ultra newb kit, so I'm trying to plan this so it's afordable and I upgrade properly. I'm thinking I'll look at getting some proper carboys and associated gear and still use the malt extracts for a while? Making my own seems to be way too advanced for me right now.

I guess my question is, has anyone started here, and how did you move up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Okay, so I just cracked a bottle of my accidental hefeweizen, and it was like a goddamn volcano. I didn't shake it, it just erupted from the carbonation.

I put 2 tsp priming sugar per liter bottle, is this too much or did I bottle too early while it was still in primary?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

deebo posted:

Does anyone here know much about using fruit (specifically frozen blueberries) in beer? I have a few questions:

Do I need to worry about yeast/bacteria on the blueberries? (does freezing kill them?)
Should I mush them up before I add them?
How do people normally add them, I havent bothered with a secondary for years so was thinking I would mush them up and dump them in once fermentation is finished or almost finished, might end up blocking the tap when I try and get it out though.
Am I going to get any noticable flavour/colour from only 450g of frozen blueberries?
Last but not least how does this sound:

Recipe: BluebAler
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.80 l
Post Boil Volume: 29.12 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 1 95.2 %
0.25 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 4.8 %
25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 10.8 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 6 -
25.00 g Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 11.9 IBUs
450.00 g Frozen Blueberries (Primary 7.0 days) Other 7 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 36.00 l of water at 69.9 C 66.7 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

450 mushed up thawed blueberries into primary once fermentation slows/ends, leave for 3 days or so then into the keg?
Havent decided wether to use a lager or us-05 yeast..

Freezing does not kill bacteria, it merely puts them in stasis.

I did a blackberry wheat a few weeks ago. First, I thawed the blackberries. After the boil was finished, I let the wort get down to about 180, then added the blackberries and let them sit for about 20 minutes in the pot (covered). The heat should be enough to kill any bacteria or wild yeasts, but not enough to make the berries go all pectin crazy.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

deebo posted:

Because of the small ammount of blueberries I figured the flavour may be pretty subtle and better suited to a lager (may get a slight color from the blueberries also). But having said that I think I will go with us-05 as thats fairly neutral anyway.

Have already done the boil so too late to add them to that, I could just boil them on the stove in some water but wanted to avoid this as im not sure what this will do to the flavour of the berries or how the pectin will effect the beer.

I basically just wanted to get a slightly blueberry flavour and maybe slight ammount of colour from them.

But if the small ammount isnt going to do anything except risk infection maybe I will just skip it this time.

Two gallons, one pound of blackberries (potent dye), my wheat beer was peach/pink. Slight color from blueberries would be non existent at 1lb/5g

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Anyone else notice the bill was House Resolution 1337?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Well I'm probably in between boozebag and aspiring artist ;)

My strategy now is to keep making the 6-7 kits I've done already but change things each time so I can learn what makes what happen, so there's plenty of room for changes. Right now is the ingredient tinkering, process changes are next.

Judging by avatar, boozebag. Speaking of avatars, Noghri's just makes me sad.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Where does everybody get their malt extracts?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Tedronai66 posted:

It's just in their email flyer from today: EMCJKHC75

How long are these valid? I don't get paid for another week.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

TheCIASentMe posted:

It can be if you let go for too long. Generally speaking you've got about 3-4 months before your beer will go bad. Longer if you refrigerate it. It won't spoil but it will taste worse the longer it goes.

There are a lot of factors in how much time you have. Namely where is it stored? At what temperature? Is the container it is stored in glass? If so is there light getting to it often?

You should store your beer in cool, dark places and if you must use a glass container use a dark brown glass if possible as sunlight will make beers go stale quite quickly. I don't actually like using glass carboys for this very reason.

Does anyone make dark brown glass carboys?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Take a sip, it tastes quite good, but has an aftertaste of sorts when breathing out after that sip that is almost but not quite like rubbing alcohol.

Name that off flavor and how does one get rid of it?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Hey, anyone interested in a Goon Homebrew secret santa this year? I'd be willing to administer.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Okay, here's the SA Homebrewer Secret Santa reg form. Registration is open until 11/30/11 and I will send assignments no later than 12/3/11.

Please be aware of restrictions and packing requirements for shipping beer. Do your homework!

Signup Form

We should make a sticky or something.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

crazyfish posted:

Signed up! I would also like to know guidelines on how much stuff is customary to send, though I've got plenty.

That's a really good question. The GWS SS has a limit of $20, but it's hard to put a value on homemade goods. I say send what you want to and be happy with what you get! It's random goonerosity in celebration of... winter ale season?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Repost for those too busy to dig to past pages:

Okay, here's the SA Homebrewer Secret Santa reg form. Registration is open until 11/30/11 and I will send assignments no later than 12/3/11.

Please be aware of restrictions and packing requirements for shipping beer. Do your homework!

Signup Form

We should make a sticky or something.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Reposting reminder:

Signup Form

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Hypnolobster posted:

No!
They are mine!
I think I'm actually going to convert them and throw together another simple 3 burner brewstand and sell them all together.

I finally think I'm running out of excuses and it's time to make a pot still with the remaining one, though. :banjo:
On that note, has anybody ever really talked about distilling in here? Legality issues aside, I know I've seen some pretty horrifying setups posted in the bachelor thread in A/T.

What an amazing art project let's discuss this thoroughly.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Doing my first brew this month that's not a mr. beer with some borrowed equipment. Also, I have fucktons of pumpkin left.

Anyone have any good recepies for pumpkin spice ale?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Okay, the Homebrew secret santees have been sent out! If you did not receive a santee and signed up for one, please let me know via post.

First person to receive, start a discussion thread for the results!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

digitalhifi posted:

Untitled by digitalhifi, on Flickr

I'm not sure if I brewed a beer or brownies...

This is my KBS clone. Recipe http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/kbs-clone-recipe-zymurgy-185487 . Its been in primary for almost a week and a half. I think this is just yeast that is chilling on top, maybe due to all the coffee grounds and chocolate and hops in the recipe. I'm planning on taking a gravity sample and probably racking to secondary this weekend where I will add the cold brewed coffee and oak beans.

:wth:

What's the result of the sample? Is it just a heavy sheet on top or what?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Godspeed, box of goodness -

- Santa

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Got my SS today, not going to lie when I felt how light the package was I was a bit disappointed, but when I opened it up it was more than worth it. Four ounces each of Mt Hood, Willamette, Magnum, and Simcoe leaf hops for a freaking pound of delicious! My secret santa kept it really secret even afterwards. So, secret goon, thank you. Seriously.

For the record, their handwriting did not suck. Pic of the swag tomorrow.

Holy poo poo that only took two days to get there?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

For the secret santa thing, do we need to provide proof of shipping to anyone? I can't even remember who's organizing it at this point, but my stuff is shipped. :)

It's good to know they're going out. I'm keeping track of who gets, most people have em by now.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

There was a post a while back of having a goonbrew contest/show. I'm curious as to what the interest in this would be. The homebrew secret santa was a pretty big success, so i'm not too worried about participation numbers.

How would you all feel about this? I can handle the arrangements and organize this a few months out so people can have a chance to get some beers ready.

How would brewers like to see things arranged? What kind of categories would you like to see? What judging criteria would you like to have placed on beers? How about prizes?

Started a new thread for this, it's here.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Secret Saudit!

I have not heard from the following people as to whether they have received their gifts:

Acceptableloss
Nesbit37
Crazyfish
PaladinePSoT
Magua
Imasalmon

If I missed a post saying you got it, let me know! If you received it, post some pictures (or reviews) and let us know! If you have yet to receive something, let us know too, I'm not too worried because there's been a great turnout sofar with some late "it's been shipped"s that are unaccounted for.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Mine should have arrived to one of the people on that list today or tomorrow.

Well I'll be damned. The mail carrier showed up today with a large box of yeast samples!

A 14 IBU 4.6% Weizenbier and an 18 IBU 5% Stout! Took a horifically low quality picture of them in my kitchen window overlooking the Willamette Valley. Tasting notes to follow!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Daedalus Esquire

On your weizenbier:

Good all around flavor. Malty and slightly sweet with a hint of banana overtones. Paired well with pork chops, cheddar, and pepper potatos. Initial impression was that it was a bit sharp with a yeasty aroma, but that subsided after sitting a minute or so.

All in all, a good beer, would drink again! Stout tomorrow.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

ScaerCroe posted:

I have previously used Lemon and Orange zest in beers. Has anyone tried grapefruit, tangerine, or blood orange zest before?

Grapefruit should be handled with padded gloves. I had a Grapefruit IPA once. Once.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I like Deschutes bottles. Labels remove cleanly and they don't have any branding outside of a lovely wreath of hops around the base of the neck.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Anyone know any good beers that come in swingtop brown bottles? I'd love to have a few of these lying around for transport to parties.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Or I could have googled it...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I cool my wort by putting the kettle in my bathtub with cold water (ice if necessary) up to just above the wort line.

The sheer volume of the bathtub allows it to cool the wort without the cooling water getting too hot like it would in the sink.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

hbf posted:

I really do not want wild yeasts in my beer this time (see my post about cherries a few posts up). While I see the potential there, I don't really want to waste a batch + 8 lbs of cherries right now. Plus, I already have a sour project going taking up one of my carboys for the next few months.

I am curious how to handle these fresh cherries to just get some cherry flavor and not introduce any wild bugs.

I would think you could simmer them at around 140 or so for 10-15 minutes without too much problem, then mash them w/ a sterile bowl and masher and dump into primary.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

U.S. Barryl posted:

I use bottled spring water for all my brews, and yet they have all come out tasting a bit chemically. I just realized that I've been diluting my priming solution with plain tap water. Usually about 2 pints or so for 5oz of corn sugar. Our water is certainly treated with chloramines. Would that be enough for me to notice this weird flavor? I bottled a pumpkin spiced ale about a week ago, which I was sure would be the best I have made since I used temp control for it. It still has this off flavor though. The sample tasted good before bottling, so I'm guessing the small amount of tap water at bottling time is doing something. This trial and error process is driving me nuts. I'm wasting tons of money on ingredients and I have 15 gallons of beer that tastes like rear end.

Sounds like you need more friends who don't know the difference between good beer and swill.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Pitching a starter of wyeast 029 tonight (first time with a starter). Should I temperature control that like I would with the fermentation or let it go nuts at ambient (80ish)?

edit: unintentional quote

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 3, 2012

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

Not sure if you meant White Labs 029 but no don't let it ferment ambient. NB.com says temp range for that yeast is 65-69*

er.. yes. White labs 029 German Kolsch. I'm not going to ferment at ambient, I just wanted to know if the starter should be ambient or in the 65-69 range

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I've been doing half batches for a while now, and decided what the hell, I'll make a full 5 gallons for octoberfest, should be good.

Except...

I realized when pouring the 3rd pound of DME in, that I forgot to get a larger brew kettle. Welp, gently caress...

6 pounds of DME in a 6 quart stockpot made for a REALLY tenuous hour. It spent most of that time at a rolling boil less than half an inch from the edge :ohdear:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Get some Fermcap?

I wish. It was an hour of letting it get to the top, then lifting it off the burner for a second and vigorously whisking the foam out, lather rinse repeat.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I use a spray bottle of plain water to knock down the foam and break up the protein cap.

Good tip, I'll remember this one next time.

When it was all said and done, it was SOOOOOOO thick. I had to rinse the pot a few times to get what essentially amounted to syrup out of the pot. I thought about just pitching yeast directly into it and hooking it up to a soda stream.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Galler posted:

Definitely don't need one for home brewing unless you want to make an immersion chiller out of 1.5" copper pipe and cool your wort in 15 seconds.

This sounds like a challenge.

And now for something completely different... My primary is going just fine in temperature control (64 with WL029 Kolsh Ale), but maintaining it is a bit cumbersome (bathtub w/ water and ice blocks. It does make me feel like a rum runner though...)

My local brewstore is big on secondary and says once the first wave of fermentation is done I can rack it to secondary and stop worring so much about the temp control (ambient will go up to 78 or so). Can anyone speak to this? If primary stops after 3 days can I just rack it there and put it in the closet thats generally standard temp for a few weeks or will this add hot ferment off flavors? I'd think not because even more active due to the temp rise the yeast wouldn't have much to eat anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Unsure on a global scale, but it makes sense for me. I have a spot perfect for secondary that's too small for the wider bucket but the carboy fits perfectly. Additionally, I can use the single "primary" bucket for bottling, as well instead of having to have a second to take the beer off the trub beforehand. As long as I need two containers, I'll keep my bucket for primary and bottling, and keep the glass carboy so I can see my work in progress.

Eventually I want to use a 6.5g carboy for primary and just use the bucket for bottling/storage.