Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The closest thing for a replacement of Simcoe is Citra, and for Citra is Simcoe. Which is to say there is no replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

wafflesnsegways posted:

Sorry - to clarify, what would a recipe for an imperial red ale look like? Like a less hoppy IPA, maybe, or a strong malty beer that still has some hops?

Pretty much the same as an Imperial IPA but there is going to be some dark crystal and/or tiny amounts of some kind of black malt.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

I have a Belgian beer, a dubbel I suppose, that began life at 1.072 OG. it's 75% pils, 15% dark candy syrup, 5% Munich II, 5% crystal 40. I used wyeast 3787, Westmalle's strain with a 2L starter pitched at 68*.

Fermentation began quickly and was vigorous. Wanting strong esters and interesting flavors, I opted to due a mild version of Westvleteren's schedule which is to pitch at 68* and let it rise on it's own, stopping it as it approaches 82-84*. Having had bad experiences with high fermentation temperatures, I decided to keep it at 68* for 30 hours of vigorous fermentation (huge Krausen), then set the temp to 70 for another 30 hours. After that I raised it to 72* fermentation for 3 days. The gravity during this time was 1.035, halfway done. I raised the temp 2 degrees every 2-3 days then left it at room temp, 78*.

Now, after 2 weeks, my gravity is 1.017 (waaay too high) and my main flavor is fusel alcohol! It's not undrinkable like my first batches, but it definitely has an unpleasant twang to it and the initial taste is rather green. The yeast has flocculated into a huge trub and the beer is crystal clear at room temp in the hydro jar. The beer became cloudy when I chilled the sample for tasting.

What in the hell is going on? After reading brew like a monk a couple times, I expected completely different results from this yeast and method. I know several of you have uses this yeast. What fermentation schedule did you use and what were the results.

What did you mash at? Any nutrients? The westmalle strain is a big beast and needs nutrients to get a good healthy ferment, but hold on adding any oxygen or it gets too clean. 1.017 is definitely a lot higher than what I would expect from a grist like that unless you mashed at 154 or so.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Josh Wow posted:

Hey Rage-Saq where do you get your D1 candi syrup? I'm doing a quad soon and my lhbs is out of the syrup they carry, and the syrup at northern brewer has 2 bad reviews saying it's not very flavorful.

Also I just looked through Brew Like A Monk and they say Westvletern secondaries the beer at 50*, do you do that? I'll be brewing this for a competition that's in December so I'll have 6-7 weeks before I need to bottle the beer. I was thinking do 2-3 weeks at the upper temperature range then drop it down to 50* for the remaining weeks. Since I want it drinkable in 2 months though I wasn't sure if I should do that or just leave it at fermentation temps the entire time.

http://www.candisyrup.com/ I'm using 2lbs of D90 and 1lbs of D180 the next time I brew (and the reverse, 2lbs of D180 and 1lbs of D90 the time after that). Their stuff is top notch quality.

I do 3 weeks in the conical, letting it get up to at least 80f. I also crash cool it and get a pretty clean rack to keg. They don't get a very clean rack which is why the "lagering" (maturation) is at 50f for so long is so it gets the yeast to drop out as the Westmalle yeast is not a particularly good floccuator.
In a purged keg I usually pressurize it and let it mature at fermenting fridge temp (58f-60f) for at least 4 weeks.

Check https://www.thesaq.net/beer/recipes (not fancy looking yet, I'm working on an index page and other stuff) it has my quad recipe that I'm brewing in a week or two and its called The Pious.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Josh Wow posted:

Thanks for the info. I was planning on just doing 50/50 pale/pils based on Brew Like A Monk and some old posts of yours I dug up. Do you like the version with more specialty grains significantly better?

Edit: Just dropped $40 on candi syrup :woop: I got 2 lbs of D180 and 1 lb of D90 for this quad, and then a pound each of D90 and D45 for some future batches.

I've done it a ton of different ways, this is my current recipe for the pursuit of quad perfection.
I've done it with the 50/50 pale/pils based on BLAM with and without decoction, I've done it according to some clone beer book that was all specialty grains and some simple sugar but both of them lack something and I've done some other crazy poo poo.
The best one I've ever done was my very first batch of it which was the specialty grains version, in a blind quad "competition" (9 entrants, check HBT for some details) it beat a Westvleteren 12 by a hair but I've never been able to really recreate it. Not sure what I did about it that was so awesome but it really captured all of the flavors the real deal had but it was a touch more lively than the real thing.
Now I take the grainbill from the "New World" batch 1 winner, modify the hop schedule a little, use the good candi syrups and do a separate boildown and it is REALLY good.
The last one I did with this technique I accidentally mashed too high at 152f and used the Dark Candi Syrup Inc stuff and ended up with a 1.019 FG, it tasted all kinds of awesome and amazing but was just way too sweet so I threw brett at it.
The next one I'm doing will basically be the same thing but mashing at 149 and with the new Candy Syrup.

I renamed the recipes, added my original New World batch to my recipes folder and added more notes to the Hybrid v5 with some things that I just know to do but don't put in the notes. So hit https://www.thesaq.net/beer/recipes for the new stuff.

mattdev posted:

Funny, I actually pulled this recipe from HBT and I'm brewing it on Sunday. Didn't realize that it was you!

Thanks! You should read my other threads about the recipe deconstruction we went through and the competition etc, some interesting blabbering about westy style quads in there.
I'm a bit obsessed with quads (obviously) but luckily my wife is so awesome that one of her favorite honeymoon pictures is one of the two of us in front of In De Vrede across the street from St Sixtus.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

indigi posted:

Could you talk about why the ProAm version is so different from the others? Specifically, why the drastic reduction in CaraMunich and the loss of Aromatic, Biscuit, and Chocolate altogether, and the alteration of the base malt/syrup %ages/addition of flaked adjuncts? I've always wondered about why there are (have to be?) differences when scaling up a homebrew/1bbl pilot brew batch to a full capacity brew.

The proam recipe was based an older version of the recipe, and when I worked with the brewer on modifying it we had some meetings on going over his efficiency/procedures/etc that his system has and adapting my recipe.
I brought over a few different batches of my beer that we had at the meeting and this version was the one that we picked as the best, which was was only a minor difference from the one that won the BJCP competition.
We added some flaked barley and wheat so we'd have big fat head retention. I still do that on some beers but not on this one lately.

In reality you can scale a homebrew recipe up however big you want with the only adjustments being mash efficiency and kettle hop utilization.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jo3sh posted:

Mash efficiency is easy, but since no one has any real idea what the actual IBU content of their homebrew is, how do you adjust for kettle hop utilization as volume scales? Or is that just a variable in the Tinseth (and other) formulae?

Does that mean that hop additions are reduced by 35 - 45% from the size we would expect from a linear scaling at a 20BBL batch size? That is, I am using 2 ounces of Citra at 60 minutes in 1/3 BBL as a homebrew batch. A linear scaling would imply that I would use 60 times as much, or 120 ounces in a 20 BBL batch, but if I were to go to Full Sail and try it, I would use 35% less, or 78 ounces?

Edit to add: A little Googling and reading shows the utilization varies from rig to rig and process to process. Basically, the brewer just has to have experience with the rig and derive his own utilization number.

Edit again: There's a little brewery near me that is run by some former homebrewers. Maybe on Sunday I will go over there and ask them about it.

Utilization rates do vary from rig to rig and process to process and from brew to brew. Those efficiency numbers are for certain calculations.
While its true I don't really know the exact IBUs of my batches I know what variations in IBUs I've done on this recipe in particular (anywhere from 28 to 35 IBU, 30-31 seems to be "right") we worked on lining up our numbers and adjusting formula's until we came to something that looked like it was agreeable.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

Just in case anyone is on a budget out there, you can make 5 pounds of candy syrup for $3 if you already have a thermometer, which you all surely do.

Thats not how the candi syrup makers mentioned in this thread make candi syrup, in fact pretty much not possible to make candi syrup like those guys do at home.
Email the https://www.candisyrup.com guys if you want some details, here is an excerpt from HBT where I first started chatting with the guy.

quote:

Just as an insight from our tests, Randy Mosher's recipe is not an authentic, (nor a close approximation), Candi Syrup. Early on, we tried his and other permutations on the web and in print. All fail to match "authentic" Candi Syrup based on our use of gas chromatography throughout our due diligence to baseline the recipe(s). If you read the entire thread on this subject you'll note my partner is a Food Chemist. We've been trialing methods and materials for just over a year and have duplicated, (and in the opinion of some more than exceeded), the quality of the import syrups. Refined or unrefined sugars from Jaggary to Turbinado to Demerara, Beet, Cane, make no difference whatsoever. The complexity does not originate in the level of refined sucrose or lack of it or the origin of the sucrose, (Beet or Cane). If you are after a "rummy" affect then just use Sorghum. It's cheaper. If you're after something a little more complex then you'll need to use a more complex syrup. I think brewers, (including me), want the very best result from a Belgian Ale recipe. If you're interested in quality syrups and the science behind them you may look at the following volumes to give you a more empirical perspective on food flavor, especially the sections on sugars:

- Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients, Sixth Edition by George A. Burdock
- Flavor Chemistry and Technology, Second Edition by Gary Reineccius

The recipes, concepts, and materials you mention above sum up what we have affectionately come to know as the "Candi Syrup Myths". It has accumulated over many years and is propagated in many publications and is mostly wrong. I have always suspected the syrup makers and dealers of seeding the myths but there is no way of knowing the single point of origin. It does make for interesting and humorous reading. My favorite is that Candi Syrup is the "byproduct of the candy making process" and there is still one manufacturer in Holland still plunking this on their web site in Dutch. The funniest thing about this is that the manufacturer doesn't make candy or precursors! LOL! I think the discussion based on "there is no definition" is yet another in a long list of deflections and myth and is a diversion from a more studied approach. Out of curiosity what methods are you using to measure "authentic" v. "inauthentic" in modern Candi Syrups?

Candi syrup is serious business

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Josh Wow posted:

This is the conclusion I came to as well. I wanted to make my own but everything I read said it wouldn't be close to what actual belgian breweries use. Ditto for other professional manufacturers, like the northern brewer syrup with the bad reviews.

I've tried making my own several times but I don't even bother now. The difference in flavor quality between what DSI/CSI makes and what I've come up with like orders of magnitude, they aren't even like the same idea.
I think some of the secrets that makes these guys stuff so good is probably related to pressure cooking and other things to control the water levels and other stuff. The CSI guy told me that they underwent over 200 trial batch productions before they thought they were getting very good and each trial batch used like 100lbs of sugar. He's a pretty cool guy, I bet he would respond to some non-proprietary related questions if you were to email him.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

Hey rage saq and other brewers of Belgian styles, how do you carbonate your brews?

I have a dubbel (1.072 --> 1.015) that I need to carbonate. I had planned on bottling this batch but now I've found I don't have enough proper Belgian bottles and I'm worried about bottle bombs if I use regular Sam Adams type bottles.

I'd like to carbonate to at least 3.5 volumes as per style guidelines.

Should I keg and put it under 17 psi or so and then bottle from the keg in a few weeks? I'm not in a hurry to drink it but I need the fermenting space. I'd also rather not buy empty bottles.

How do you all carb your Belgians?

3.5 is pretty high unless its a saison. I normally do all my Belgian beers (including most saisons) at 3.2vol/co2. Which is about 17psi at 38f. More time under co2 isn't going to hurt.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Huge_Midget posted:

I had heard both good and bad things about them. I just said gently caress it and bought this Micromatic. Lets me run two separate serving pressures and if needed you can daisy chain more regulators onto it.

Micromatic supremacy++

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

Thought taprite was the pimpin

Taprite is ok, but I could literally beat someone to death with a Micromatic premium regulator and then put it back on and serve some beer.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

beetlo posted:

Ok I need some quick translations from the Clone Brews ingredients/terminology to that of Brewmaster's Warehouse.

Belgian Cara-Munich = Weyermann Cara Munich I?
German dark Munich = Gambrinus Dark Munich?
German dark crystal = Briess Caramel 60? (The recipe calls for 65, 60 is close)

Also... it is an extract recipe, but it calls for sparging after the steeping. Is sparging doable with just some pots and a grain bag?

Good enough.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
So I'm making a starter for a brewday this weekend and I pull out my smallest flask that will fit 3.5L worth.
I set it on the stove and kind of just take in the size of this thing and think I might have some kind of problem....

my stove is too small...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hypnolobster posted:

So, you're saying that you don't have a stirring hotplate?
-1 Jamilpoints

:smug:

I do, but it takes forever to cool down I wouldn't be able to put it on before I went to bed tonight.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Docjowles posted:

I have a giant 20lb tank and it owns. Probably done about 10 kegged batches and the pressure dial hasn't even moved. The only part that sucks is when I want to bring a keg to a party, hauling around this enormous tank is painful.

Get a 2.5lbs, its always good to have a backup co2 tank.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm reading this most recent BYO magazine, and I guess in last months Jamil Zainasheff posted a recipe for a maibock with an OG of 1.070 and recommended a 4 gallon starter. Someone thought it was a mistake and BYO said it wasn't:

"It takes a lot of yeast to brew a high-gravity lager.....a 4 gallon yeast starter for a 5 gallon batch of Maibock"

This is just Jamil being crazy with yeast again, right? Come on, a 4 gallon starter?

More specifically, he said "5 packages of yeast into a 15 liter starter"

Jamil isn't pulling these numbers out of his rear end with no basis, there is a lot of science from PhD's and others on pitching rates for ales/lagers.

In George Fix's publication "Principles of Brewing Science" he stated that an optimal pitching rate for healthy beers without defects you are looking at 0.75 million cells per milliliter per degree plato ales, and 1.50 million cells per milliliter per degree plato for lagers.

This is for most yeasts that you would want clean fermentations with little-to-no yeast stress related flavors, and a strong vigorous ferment that behaves predictably and finishes reliably.

Using this information you can figure out how much yeast you will need to pitch and then you can use the known science on yeast propogation to find out how you get that much yeast.
For a 1.070 OG lager you need about 530 billion cells. Without a stir plate that amounts to an ~18 liter starter, or with a stir plate a ~8 liter starter. I didn't read the article but I am guessing he made the assumption that people with stir plates would know how to do the numbers and convert appropriately.

I am doing a ~1.085 OG imperial porter this weekend and I'll need about 3L worth of yeast from a stir plate and I want to replenish my yeast bank a little so I made a 3.5L starter.

Read this article from MB Raines, Ph.D on yeast propagation techniques and the effect they have on population density. You are basically screwed if you don't have a stir plate.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 21, 2011

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RiggenBlaque posted:

To be clear I don't actually plan on making that recipe, I just saw the reader comments about it and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think I'm bothered by the whole thing because, yes, I'm sure there is a lot of science behind it, but there is a difference between things that are achievable on a homebrew scale and things required on a commercial level.

With a 4 gallon starter, you're never going to be able to use a stir plate with something like that unless you have multiple stir plates. I feel like if he was just simplifying it for people who don't have stir plates / haven't gotten into yeast starters yet, why didn't he just say something like "you should brew a 1.048 lager with this yeast first, then pitch directly on top it's yeast cake."

Who said its not feasible on a homebrew scale? I'm pretty sure any homebrewer who really wanted to brew a 1.070 OG lager would be able to handle all of the requirements above, and if not this would be a good reason to learn.

The purpose of his statement worked, people are looking at and thinking about yeast starters more than you were previously, which could have been "not at all".

For a big lager you need a shitload of yeast, and so it is more viable to do what you said and brew a small beer first and use all of that yeast. His "4 gallon starter" aka 18 liters was what you would need if you DIDN'T have a stir plate. If you do have a stir plate it would come in at about 6.7 liters, significantly less.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

indigi posted:

Nope! Go for it.

One weird thing from that White/Jamil Yeast book was a section saying that if you're direct pitching from a fresh order (or vial/pack for homebrewers) of commercial yeast, you only need about half of the cell density usually quoted in recipes cause of the 90%+ viability and something else I forget. That whole bit, I think it was a paragraph at most, seemed contrary to everything Jamil's ever said on the subject, cause you'd think he would have mentioned it somewhere or have an option for that on his yeast calculator.

I can't tell if it's in there cause it's true or if it's in there as a concession to White for marketing his product as direct-pitchable while then going on to claim you normally (read: if repitching) need pitching rates way higher than a vial of White Labs contains.

I usually go with the sorts of numbers Jamil recommends unless I have a specific reason not to. That said, gently caress a 4 gallon starter, that seems absolutely ridiculous. Again, from that Yeast book, they explicitly state that you start to get rapidly diminishing returns (in terms of yeast growth and propagation) once your starter size increases past 1.8L. There's got to be an easier, more efficient, or cheaper way of growing up that much yeast.

Jamil's yeast pitching calculator has a viability calculator on it. Fresh pitching from a direct order is what most pitching rate estimates are based on.

As far as the vials being direct-pitchable that makes the assumption that the beer is a 1.040-1.050 OG 5g batch, which may cover a good portion of the casual homebrewer population.

Once again on the 4 gallon starter thats only if you don't have a stir plate. Jamil's website doesn't seem to scale the yield of stir plated starters very well, quickly dropping down to 50 mil/cell per ml, as opposed to the 120-150 mil/cell per ml that isn't difficult to achieve by homebrewers.

As far as the "diminishing returns" goes its not a factor of the size of the starter as it is the size of the step, but I'll have to read what the yeast book said to confirm. You need a lag phase (finish fermentation, hibernate, repitch) in the yeast reproduction process when growing to certain scales to allow them to continue to do so healthily.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Finally got around to brewing a repeat of my really awesome porter I did about a year back. It takes a big page from a baltic porter grist (which is what it originally was supposed to be last time) but uses an awesome british yeast. The only thing I changed on this from the first brew was a different bittering hop as I can't get that anymore.

The Profound
code:
Style: Imperial Porter
Batch Information
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.20 gal
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Estimations
Estimated OG: 1.084 SG
Estimated FG: 1.022 SG
Estimated ABV: 8.2 %
Estimated Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.064 SG
Bitterness: 42.9 IBUs (Rager)
Estimated Color: 30.1 SRM

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU 
7 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1 41.7 % 
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 41.7 % 
1 lbs Aromatic Malt BYOB (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.6 % 
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.2 % 
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5 2.8 % 
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.8 % 
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.4 % 
1.00 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 31.4 IBUs 
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 11.5 IBUs 
1.00 Items Servomyces (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 11 - 
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 10 - 
1.0 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [3.5l starter] Yeast 12 - 

154f mash temp for 60 minutes
66f ferment temp

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

mewse posted:

sorry. it's one of my favourite lines from the movie idiocracy. it's set in the future where drinking water has been replaced with a type of gatorade

And watering crops too. Fun movie.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Darth Goku Jr posted:

not really even coming close to an answer since i'm brewing my first ever stout of any kind next week, but to mutilate the phrase: if 1.084 to 1.022 is smaller i don't want to be big. otohI know B.O.R.I.S., a well received oatmeal RIS, (the B is bodacious) has a FG of 1.036 (holy poo poo) so I guess there is room for growth

what's your end game in adding sugar? is it just alcohol you want or the warmness or the hotnesss or really i think at ~8.1% abv doesn't beg for a bunch of extra opportunities to introduce something unwanted for the sake of those qualities.

lastly, what is rahr two row and does 'crisp' actually mean anything?

Rahr and Crisp are malsters.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

Edit: paging Rage Sac-

What's your timeline for brewing Belgians? What temperature and duration are your primary and sexondary fermentations? How long (if at all) do you age the bottle or kegs before drinking?

With Belgians the time, temperature and maturation (aging) cycles largely depends on the yeast, but to a lesser but still significant degree the style.

Two examples.

My Belgian Pale ale is about 6-6.5% and done with either the Duvel (WLP570), Allagash (bottle culture) or De Konick (WLP515) yeast.
I go from brewday to having it on draft in about 2 weeks. Its not a complex style or particularly strong, and the yeast pretty much knock it out in a few days, add a few days for the yeast to do a little cleanup, cold crash and then its kegged and on tap.
Most of these yeasts work out pretty good at 74f until it finishes which is what I usually stick to for this style.

My quad is ~10% and done with the Westmalle yeast. This is a totally different animal. I go for 78-80f for a week or two (forced heat if necessary) until it hits final gravity, then I let it cool down to about 65f for another week or two, before a 2 day cold crash and going to a co2 purged keg.
Top it up with co2 and then stick it in the fermentation fridge where its going to sit in the 60s for about 2 months or until I deem it done.
This beer is a different animal partly because its a much bigger beer (alcohol and gravity wise) and the yeast flavors are much more complex and require some time and patience for it to mature.

As far as what you should do for your beers I'd recommend picking Brew Like A Monk as there are also many ways to get the yeast flavor that you want. They have numerous sections in the book that outline different strategies different brewers have towards getting what they want out of the yeast, and how those can mix in with the grain and hop flavors.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
78f fermentation temp isn't really a problem for the Westmalle yeast. 78f ambient temp is probably somewhere int he 86-88f range which is definitely outside of its comfort zone. How were you measuring fermentation temperature?
What kind of "unpleasantness" would you say it has?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

Measured via thermometer strip on bucket. I allow for 1-2*f higher in the center, so my strip read 77*.

My non geek gf said "apples" immediately upon smelling. I noticed something was off, kind of a cider twang. Haven't smelled/tasted anything like it since my first few batches with no temp control (80's fermentation, under the can yeast and s04 and us05 yeasts). A buddy who drinks craft beer regularly says it tasted like a woodchuck cider. He actually liked it.

Could be acetaldehyde which is just a flavor of a young beer. Give it some time and it will go away.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

On the one hand I'm glad my beer may turn out fine, on the other I'm concerned about what process error caused this.

Is it simply not possible to have a 9%+ ABV yeast dominant beer that i ready young? I seem to remember in BLAM that westvleteren had a short primary and then a secondary at ~60* just to clarify the beer

Has anyone fermented Westmalle's yeast at lower temperatures? What was the result?

How young are we talking? Its definitely going to take some time for a big complex beer mature properly.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jo3sh posted:

Any opinions on this plate chiller?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frankenstein-Beer-Wort-Chiller-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-/350483430435?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item905bfa573e

According to a Q&A at the bottom of that page, you can choose 20,30, or 40 plates. Is this a case of more plates is better?

More plates is always better, it increases the surface area for cooling.
In the case of this specific plate heat exchanger I wouldn't get it. The 40 plate one is about the same price as one without goofy garden hose fittings so its not really saving you any money.
Like this one that uses 1/2" NPT-F is more or less what I have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-SS304-Cu-Brazed-1-2-FPT-B3-12-/230566338993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aed321b1

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Super Rad posted:

2 questions:

1) Anyone have any experience using fenugreek to add "maply" flavors as per Mosher? I'm going to be adding a kilo of jaggery to a barleywine and would like to further accentuate the maple flavor it imparts. I'm thinking 2-3 teaspoons crushed - roasted and then added to secondary. How long should I toast for and at what temp? I may get some maple extract as a backup.

2) I'm planning on using the White Labs Dry English yeast - anyone with barleywine experience care to recommend something else? I can't really get Wyeast locally so I'd be limited to White Labs and Saffale.

WLP007 is a pretty good English Barleywine yeast. Its ester character isn't particularly pronounced and it ferments out pretty well, its reliable and it floccs like a brick.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
There are a number of things out there that can calculate AA loss, both webapps and something like beersmith.
Vacuum bagging and freezing (-2 to -3 degrees F) makes a HUGE difference when it comes to alpha acid stability. For example 15.4% AA Warrior is about 13.6% AA after 36 months if it was vacuum bagged and stored at -3f.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

Wlp023=Burton ale=Thames valley=wyeast1275=poor flocculator

Yeah, I just kegged my imperial porter the other day and after 3 weeks in conical and then a 1 day cold crash it wasn't totally flocced out yet. So I gave it 2 more days cold crashing and it ran off crystal clear.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Drinking my first glass of my Imperial Porter batch2 that I made about a month ago and has been in keg for almost a week. Its pretty drat awesome, pretty much what I remember from batch1, didn't change a thing other than hops. Needs a little bit more age but its already super smooth and creamy, and I probably should have bumped up the English chocolate a tiny bit to give it a little more body and chocolate but I might feel differently about it in
Here is the recipe The Profound Porter

I'm brewing tomorrow and couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. I had been thinking about brewing a session IPA lately but I've also been into hoppy saisons a lot so why not combine both?
5.5% abv saison with a lot of American hops, inspired by Boulevard Tank 7 but scaled down.

Here's what I've got.
code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 6.99 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6 lbs                 Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)            Grain         1        68.6 %        
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                   Grain         2        17.1 %        
1 lbs                 White Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM)               Grain         3        11.4 %        
0.50 oz               Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 90.0 min         Hop           5        27.3 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           6        4.9 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 1.0 mi Hop           7        7.8 IBUs      
1.50 oz               Zythos [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days     Hop           9        0.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 Yeast         8        -             
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days     Hop           10       0.0 IBUs      
4.0 oz                Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                  Grain         4        2.9 %         

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 10.94 qt of water at 163.7 F        152.0 F       75 min        

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jacobey000 posted:

Went to keg today and I'm pretty sure my Cranberry Wheat is infected.

So my question is, will the fridge slow things down so it doesn't turn into vinegar? Can I just play it off like I meant to sour it with wild yeast, etc?

Taste it and see. That doesn't really look like an infection but probably just some of the particles from the fruit floating to the surface. An infection is bubbling and has all kinds of weird white ropy things on them.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

crazyfish posted:

Batch #4 (belgian wit) is getting bottled this week, and I'm already starting to plan ahead for my next couple batches. I want to do one session-type batch, and one big, heavy batch to give me an excuse to buy some new equipment (like flasks for making yeast starters). Earlier in this thread I had the desire to do a Belgian dubbel, but I decided to go crazy and I'll now be doing a quad, in particular, a Westy 12 clone(ish). Since I can't do all-grain yet, I've decided to go partial mash. This guy has a lot of specialty-type grains which I think a partial mash will help a lot with.

Based on this recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/pious-westvleteren-12-style-quad-multiple-147815/

Aimed high on the OG in case I'm not very good at partial mashing.

Couple questions:

- I was thinking about trying an open fermentation at least for the first couple days while it's still at high krausen. I'm hoping to get a little bit more of a fruity, raisiny, cherry-type character out of it, plus it (mostly) avoids the need to rig up a blowoff hose. Does this seem like a good idea? I'm probably going to pitch a pretty reasonable starter, and I might loosely cover the fermenter until it starts.

- Anyone ever used a bottling bucket as a lauter tun? I've got some paint strainer bags that fill up the bucket, so I can pour the mash into the strainer bag and batch sparge using the strainer bag as sort of a false bottom.

- Anyone have a favorite recipe for dark candi syrup? I'm not going to buy the brown rocks at my LHBS, I'd rather save some scratch and make my own.

Couple of tips.

I think doing a partial mash quad is pretty difficult (I tell somebody that later in that thread of mine) but liquid pilsner extract is the best bet. I think you'll want to up your % sugar to 17% to account for the unfermentables that are intentionally put into malt extract.

I think your hopping rate is a little low but not being able to do a full boil really fucks with your hop utilization and IBUs.

You need dark candi syrup (from either http://www.candisyrup.com or http://www.darkcandi.com) to make a good dubbel or quad. It really is the most important ingredient in making a good dubbel or quad.

You can cook sugar on the stove with a candy sugar thermometer but it doesn't come out like either of the good commercial brewing candi syrups. I've tried it a bunch of times and its not even close to what either of the two companies above do. Avoid the rocks though, they are crap.

Don't pitch too much yeast, some of the key date/cocoa flavors come from a slightly longer reproductive cycle on the Westmalle yeast. 200-240 billion cells for 5 gallons seems to be a sweet spot for this recipe. If you have some kind of o2 stone I'd skip it for this beer as that will also hold off some of the good Belgian yeast esters that you want.
Make sure the yeast ferments at least up at 78f fermentation temp and be able to hold it steady there. A generous application of fermcap when its really starting to get going keeps everything in check. I know a few people who have done that beer with some kind of open fermentation (low head pressure) and have had interesting results but its not really for me.

Reading my old thread kind of reminds me I haven't updated the OP in a long time with some of continued experiments trying to get the perfect quad. I'll have to clean it up some.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 22, 2011

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I have a 6.25g bourbon barrel that I've had for a while. After the 2nd batch the bourbon character was gone but the oak character still comes in with enough time.
I use it for sours, its pretty hard to use a barrel for beer for more than one batch and not have it get an infection.
As far as getting a barrel and keeping it from getting infected, make sure that the barrel is emptied, bunged, packaged and shipped to you and filled with beer in as short a time as possible. Even then getting an infection is a risk.
We had a club project where we were careful with a 55g brandy barrel and filled it up with an 11% wee heavy pretty quickly and it still got infected. Fast forward a year or two and its a pretty incredible sour wee heavy with a nice brandy character.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

CaptBubba posted:

Looks like I got my first infection, likely due to accidentally leaving the airlock off for nearly an hour while I was doing things around the kitchen and racking other batches. It looks like a small mold island (it is a bit green in the center but it doesn't show well in a photo) along with a film over the top of everything. I threw it into the fridge at 38 degrees and it has stopped growing so I hope I can rack from under it, force carbonate, and then drink.

The film:

The floating island of not-supposed-to-be-there:

That doesn't look like an infection, could just be some residue of something.

This is a pellicle, the sign of lots of bugs and wild yeast.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RiggenBlaque posted:

Hey Saq, I was using your yeast spreadsheet and it looks like your entry for WY3068 is slightly off. Yours says the temperature range is 68-72 and the WY website says 64-72. I hope it's actually lower than that, because I'm fermenting this weizenbock at 62*.

Not a big deal, but I figured I'd mention it.

I'm not sure who did the data entry for that one but iirc all the wyeast stuff was taken off their website. There is a page for form responses where you can send updates/corrections built in, look in the top left cell.
I'll change the temp range.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jo3sh posted:

There is nothing harmful that can live in beer that does not smell and taste bloody loving awful, so if it seems beerlike and you are interested in drinking it, it's just fine.
Fixed for you.
Stuff CAN live in beer that smells bad (some gross wild yeasts and bacterias, some of which ARE intentionally used in sour beers) but none of it is going to poison you, just taste pretty bad.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Somehow, only today did I realize that there should be a goon beer/brewing related channel, so I created one.
#beer on irc.synirc.org

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Midorka posted:

I posted a while back about getting this kit and no one had a bad thing to say about it.

That more or less is the standard homebrewer basic starter kit that has a lot of the bits and pieces that make brewing easier. You still need a pot, a wort chiller and possibly a propane burner depending upon how you were planning on heating stuff up.
The best thing to do before you buy a kit is get involved in the local homebrewing community and help some guys brew, you'll get a good idea of what kind of parts you need and a little practical experience for doing your first brew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Midorka posted:

I'm so glad I joined a local homebrewers group. There's a guy who is a manager at a homebrew store and has been brewing for a while who lives near me. He contacted me and we've been talking and I think we have the same goals in the long run. We're going to brew together sometime in the near future and see where things go!

A budding brewmance, how cute!