Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl

Docjowles posted:

There's a "west coast red" that is basically Pliny the Elder with some more crystal malt and color, and the traditional Irish red that is way more malt focused. I've never had Rogue's but just based on the brewery I'd shoot for like 80 IBU's and multiple big late hop additions. She's your fiance, how bitter does she typically like her beers?

The OBC listserve had a pretty good discussion about Reds yesterday. Here's 2 of the really good posts, keep in mind some of the info refers to previous posts:
This one is from Bill Schneller and it responsed to someone asking for a good Red Recipe:

quote:

BJCP Category 10B (American Amber) includes reds.

As for recipes, it really depends. Most of the newer NW style reds (Ninkasi Believer, Hopworks Rise UP Red, etc.) are higher gravity and more IBU's than what the BJCP would say.

Here's a jumping off point, but you also might want input from Abe Goldman-Armstrong who won the NW Fed at the Timbers competition or Josh Huerta who also had a great NW Red at the Cascade Barrel house meeting.

US two row 85-90%
Munich Malt 5-10%
Dark Crystal (like 80L or 120L, or a mix) not more than 5%

Mash it around 150, maybe 152 if you like it sweeter. The Munich and crystal will still give you good malt character even if you mash it at 150. Some people use a lot more crystal, but I'd argue that many homebrewers use way too much crystal. Most commercial reds in the NW are actually fairly dry. 5% crystal is about 8 ounces in a five gallon batch of 1.055-1.060 beer. If you're one of those who thinks lots of crystal malt gives you lots of complexity, try scaling it back to 5% and then use a mix of good quality base malts. There's a lot of variety in pale malt. Try a bunch and mix them. Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Thos. Fawcett floor malted Maris Otter, Optic, Gambrinus ESB malt, Great Western NW pale (more like a UK malt). Experiment. You'll get lots of complex flavors without adding a lot of residual sugar that you get from crystal.

For hops, choose 'em. I'm fond of Magnum for bittering because they're super clean but give really good bitterness. Most of the hop character comes from the late additions or at knock out, plus dry hopping. These all work well depending what you like: Centennial, Columbus, Ahtanum, Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra (but they're really distinctive). I use about an ounce of Magnum for 60 minutes for bittering, which should give you 40-55 IBU's depending on your system and how strong they are, but easily enough for a red. I normally just throw a boat load of aroma hops in at the knock out. Generally a minimum of 4 oz of mixed varieties. Sometimes as much as 8 oz. Wasteful? Maybe, but I like hop aroma and there's nothing like tons of hops at flame out for hop aroma (as Rob Widmer said,no one ever complained that a beer had too much hop aroma).

Use any neutral ale yeast and then dry hop it with another 1-2 oz of hops.

Hope that gets you started

This second one is from Vasilios Gletsos who is the head brewer for Laurelwood, responding to Bill's post:

quote:

That is some great advice Bill, I always appreciate the good, indepth, well thought out advice you give.

I was going to offer a bit of a different take or varitey of takes on the malt bill.

When I was at BJ's we made a strong red, almost old ale, which used a big dose of Special B and crystal 50-60 (I think), both Dinagmann's. The hopping was mostly balance in that beer, with low cohumulone charges like Magnum, and the balance was deffinitely towards the sweet malt, like a prune infused marshmellow.

At Pyramid/macs, we made reds that had carared/crystal and touch of Black malt to get the color. Our Imperial version had a huge dry hop charge, around 1.8#/bbl, of Falconer's Flight, which was a nice addition. at the begining the dry hops were so bright it was like chewing on a light bulb, but it mellowed in filtration and transfer to where it was really aromatic and lovely.

At Laurelwood, our Red does rely on lower color crystal malts @ ~15% to drive the warm color it gets, and lots of late addition hops. I was at a MBAA meeting last fall I think, here in Portland, when the Briess rep was talking about beer color and showed some worts that had achieved the same color values with different malts. one was using less of a darker crystal and the other used more of a lighter crystal and the difference was pretty striking. The lighter crystal malt was such a warmer glow while the darker crystal came across a lot more rutty. I don't know if that can be taken as conclusive, but I have generally followed that philosophy with good results.

anyway, happy brewing.

Hope that helps anyone reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
Happy Freedom to Home Brew Day everyone!
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d095:HR01337:@@@L&summ2=m&

Signed 33 years ago today by Jimmy Carter

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
How many people have sour mashed before? If so could you describe your technique? Did you do a whole mash sour or did you add a percentage of grain in after? What style of beer did you try souring? How long did you let it sour and at what temperature?

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

beetlo posted:

More on the giant batch ruining infection I seem to have going. Took a whiff of the Oktoberfest I have going. Same smell. I brewed that stuff a month ago, too. Now I'm pretty certain it's the blowoff/siphon hose that is ruined. That bitch is hard to clean and probably got scratched in the process. Plus it has that same awful smell even after soaking in Oxiclean for a few hours. Still going through with the scorched earth mega bleach on everything. New hose ordered. New ingredients ordered. 3 ruined batches. At least my batches are 2.5 gallon instead of 5 or *gasp* 10.

First try PBW. That just does a better job then Oxiclean. If that doesn't work then try beer line cleaner instead.

Finally there's always the nuclear option of beer line cleaner and Baking Soda. I've had to use that in the past with kegs that have been filled with Root Beer. It's pretty much the only option on getting that smell out.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Jo3sh posted:

Well, my summer trip to Oregon went great and I got to meet a couple goons. Surprisingly enough, beer was involved. Any goons live in Las Vegas and want to get together for a glass? Or will I run into J. Random Brewgoon somewhere? I'll be in town the weekend of the 28th - 30th of this month. I'll be staying on the Strip, but should be able to get mobile.

Let me know here or send me a PM if you're down.
I'm one of the Oregoons he meet and I can verify he won't rape/knife you and leave you in a ditch. (Though if you're into that I'm sure you could ask)

Oh and let me know if you got the Triple 7 brewery or whatever it is downtown. When I went there it sucked but I had a friend go back and he said the beer was better

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
Anyone done a IPL? (India Pale Lager) How do they taste? I've got some experimental yeast from Wyeast that I need to get through 6 generations worth of data and I'm having a hard time keeping the variety in my fridge with it.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Jo3sh posted:

Or maybe lager for a while and then add dry hops.

That's a good idea. The more I think about this the more I might do it. I'll add the dry hops when I transfer after lagering.

I think Baltic Porter will be the next one on the to brew list after the IPL

Noghri_ViR fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 18, 2012

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
Just reaching out here, but does anyone know how to get a hold of Steve Wall from the Wisconsin Home Brewers Alliance? I was reading that they were getting some pushback from the tavern/bar industry on their bill to allow the transport of homebrew outside of the home and I wanted to see if I could help him out. It's the exact same issue we tackled in Oregon last year

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
Is there anyone else out there that checks out blogs about hops and hop industry news? There's only one that I check out but I'm looking for more. If you can feel free to share your list I would appreciate it. Here's the one I check out:
http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.com/

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Jacobey000 posted:

This, a thousand times this. I think the areas of the US that make lovely wine (I'm looking at you Michigan) should grow hops instead, as I believe they grown in the parallel. There should be some kind of farm campaign or some-such thing. Honestly, a nice big hop patch in the rear end end of a U-Pick farm could draw in the bearded folk if the info was out there.

Funny enough, the chef at the place I work at was talking to a large farmer about growing something on his hilly land and I piped in Hops. From what I understand the guy was pretty interested.
keep in mind that it takes about three years to get a decent yield from a new hop bine

Also I believe that Michigan had too many sub 40 degree days for decent hop yields. Hop plants need 20-30 days of sub 40 degree days for optimum yields to occur

Noghri_ViR fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 29, 2012

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Jo3sh posted:

Hm, maybe I should become a farmer. Too bad water is such a bitch here in SoCal. But still, we have excellent citrus, strawberries, onions, and other crops. I have a couple people coming over for dinner on Saturday that might assist with such a thing.

Hmmmmmmmm... I do have some friends in Oregon. Perhaps I should go up to visit a hop farm this summer.
Hopmadness is the last week in August at the Rouge Hop Farm. We bring hops straight from the field so you can pick and then brew right there. Along with overnight camping, and all of the clubs and independent guys showing up to share beer it's a pretty good event

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Jo3sh posted:

I don't mean to slam it too harshly, it's a heck of a product for what it is, but I don't really have concrete suggestions like put this button there, eliminate this, add that. But yeah, he needs to read up on UI design for version 3.

And honestly, I am happy with Hopville for the moment (but that reminds me that I need to go look at Hopville v.2 also, since that was supposed to get rolled out over the holiday).

I took a look at the iphone app he is developing at the NHC a couple of weeks ago and how it synced via the beercloud (or whatever he's calling it) to your desktop and I was instantly sold. I hate lugging out the laptop on brewday but if I could just record what I need via my phone I'm going to be in heaven.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
I forgot to mention Hop Madness here this year and we had a few people from here come to it. Here's the info sorry about the short notice.......

Announcing:

Hop Madness 2012 is Coming!

We are 4 days away from Hopmadness. The largest gathering of home brewers and home brewing clubs in the Pacific Northwest.

To stay in touch with the latest information, please visit our Website or Facebook page

What is Hopmadness?

Hopmadness 2012 is a celebration of hops and their role in beer. We’ve had homebrewers from all over, as far away as New York to just down the road. From brewing hop harvest ales, picking fresh hops, to touring hop farms in active harvest, homebrewers can revel in all of the madness that are hops!

We also have a video from a few years ago showing what Hop Madness is like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKfNLO36B1A

When, Where, and How?

The festival/get-together/campout is August 25-26, 2012 from noon to noon at the Rogue Farms Micro Hopyard in Independence, Oregon. Camping will be in the shady, grassy, fenced in area next to the Hop n’ Bed which is right across from the tasting room.

Tickets

Prepaid online registration: $10/person or $18/family
    Onsite/day of fest: $13/person or $20/family

The family rate applies only to those who permanently live at the same address.

Judged Competitions
This year there are two competitions. They are:

Best drat Hoppy Beer - This one is as simple as it sounds. Make a beer, make it hoppy and make it the best drat beer there and you'll win. There's no style guidelines so your imagination is the limit.
    Peoples Choice - This beer is chosen by the people. Each Hop Madness participant is given a ticket upon registration and you want them to give you their ticket. The person with the most tickets at the end of the day wins. So set up a table near your campsite with your beer and a bucket for tickets and try to persuade people that you have the best beer there.

There will be prizes for the winners of both competitions. For more information check out our

competition page.

What to bring

Bring your food, chairs, tables, tents, sleeping bags, shade (canopies) and anything else you wish to make your stay enjoyable (homebrew, sodas, etc.).

Its always nice to bring some snacks to share around the camp.

It’s tradition… If you are planning to go on the hop tour please bring a homebrew or commercial beer for the hop farmers.

Events

Hop harvest brewing: Fresh hops and water provided, bring your own brewing equipment.
    Hop tour: A tour of the active hop harvest (2pm on Sat)
    Best drat Hoppy Beer Contest: Bring your hoppiest drat beer and enter it into the contest.
    Overnight camping: Bring a tent and cover just in case it rains (it is Oregon afterall).
    Hop Olympics: Organize a team of your fellow club members to compete for homebrewer bragging rights.

Tentative Agenda
Saturday August 25th
12:00 - Hopmadness Starts, Check-in Open
1:00 - Hop Bines arrive for picking
2:00 - Hop Farm Tour
4:00 - Judging for the Best drat Hoppy Beer Competition
5:00 - Best drat Hoppy Beer and Peoples choice winners announced. Raffle follows
6:30 - Hop Olympics

Sunday August 26th
12:00 - Hopmadness Ends, Check-out and Cleanup

Sponsorships
We are still looking for shops/websites to help sponsor and donate prizes for our competitions. If you can help outwith that please email Chris Hummert at chummert@gmail.com

Questions?
If you have any questions about the event, please either:

Respond to this Post

We hope to see all of you there and want to make this the best event there is!

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
Has anyone used El Dorado or Mosaic Hops yet? I have a pound of each and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

hellfaucet posted:

Do people ever have rhizomes of rarer hops like Citra and Amarillo? I usually just see Cascade, Centennial, and other popular varieties.

Your best bet is to find someone that lives in Yakima and have them snip something you can make a rhizome out of.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Sionak posted:

Okay, homebrewing thread: looking for advice again.

One of my friends is getting married in the fall (most likely October) and has requested something like a sour IPA, if possible. I'd like to give it a shot, but I have some questions - I've never done a sour before. I was thinking maybe something like the Petrus Aged Pale.

My first question is - is there any way I can get this done in time? I know a lot of sour beers are aged for a long time - a clone recipe for Petrus called for 18 months aging. Obviously, thay wouldn't be an option given the time frame.

Has anyone tried a beer like this? Do you think it would work better to blend a sour beer and a hoppy one or to dry-hop a sour?

You could do a sour mash, but if you're looking to sour it up with brett or something then you don't really have enough time.

I've had a Sour Mash Pale Ale that was part of my clubs project with Widmer that was actually quite good. If I were you I would test it out a couple of times before making a batch for the wedding.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Sionak posted:

Thanks for the advice on the hoppy sour, everyone. I did warn him that a) it might not be possible to really do and b) it might not be a hit with everyone. I think I will have a much more approachable back-up beer (maybe a saison or something similar), because the sour seems like a gamble.

On wedding beer chat, my wife's cousin made up a pale ale and a more malty Scottish style ale, and I had some hard cider, all of which were a hit in May. At least, all the kegs were pretty well empty at the end of the reception..

I did wedding beers for my sister 2 years ago. I was actually surprised because out of the 6 that I brewed, the saison was the first to blow.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
Greetings, The AHA governing committee elections are going to end on March 31st and I’m looking for every vote I can get. If you are an AHA member please visit the following site and vote in the election

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/membership/aha-governing-committee/election

I’ve attached my bio and the reason why I’m running to the bottom of this message. I was (and I’m sure you are) upset with the way the NHC competition was handled this year. My single focus for next year if I’m elected to the Governing Committee is to actually listen to membership feedback about the event and implement the changes necessary to avoid the embarrassment of what happened this year. The current Governing Committee should feel ashamed of what happened and should be working their every free moment to avoid having it happen again. Sadly based upon feedback on the AHA forum I don’t believe this is happening.

Please, I’m asking you to give me your vote so I can be in a position to help improve the NHC competition and the AHA. Please goons, help me out!!!!!

Thanks
-Chris Hummert

My name is Chris Hummert and I’ve been a homebrewer for approximately 8 years. I’ve served in various positions for the Oregon Brew Crew which is one of the oldest and largest homebrewing clubs in the United States. I will be serving as their President in 2013. I’ve also served as the Vice President in 2012 and 2011 and as the Competition Chair in 2010, 07 and 06. I was also part of the group that formed the Oregon Homebrewers Alliance and helped pass SB 444 which allowed Oregon Homebrewers the right to transport their homebrew outside of their homes. (For more information visit: http://oregonhomebrewersalliance.org ). I’m also the organizer of an event called Hop Madness. In addition to this, I’ve ran the NHC competition in the Oregon/Northwest area for 2 years.

I’m running for the AHA Governing Board because I’ve been unhappy with the way things have been run. In 2012 there were lots of things that caught my attention and fixing them is the reason why I’m running.

NHC competition – The NHC competition in the northwest has become a joke. For the 2013 competition three clubs in the northwest have been asked to host the event and all three have said they are not interested. This comes down to a few reasons. First is that the northwest region is overcrowded. We have one of the highest concentrations of homebrewers which causes our region to sell out faster than any other. There have been calls to split the region up and all we’ve heard is nothing from the AHA. Second number of entries and the entry fees have increased, yet the money we’ve received to put on these competitions has decreased. Local clubs have had to take money out of their own budgets to cover the extra cost of the competition and not getting reimbursed for it. Finally, the support and direction we’ve received from putting on this competition has been lacking and there needs to be a better guide to help clubs put this event on. If I’m elected to the AHA governing committee I will work on implementing the following measures

1. This was a new piece of software and the AHA should have stressed tested it ahead of time to figure out if it was going to be able to handle the load. It’s obvious that this wasn’t done. I will push for this to be done 3 months ahead of time so that those types of issues can be identified ahead of time.

2. We will have a meeting with all of the organizers of the regional competitions to find out what worked, what didn’t work and what the AHA needs to change to improve the experience

3. Work on finding a better time to start registration. There have been a lot of complaints about registration happening in the middle of the traditional workday. I will work on finding out if moving it to a different time would work better

4. I will push for mailing a survey out to all AHA members to find out what they thought of the NHC competition and find out from them what we should do to improve it. This survey will be public and I will push to have the results tabulated and published at the AHA website for discussion

5. Explore the option of having a “member’s only day” for the NHC competition where only AHA members have the opportunity to enter their beer, then the next day registration opens up to everyone who is not an AHA member

Once we have the data from the membership back I’ll push to make sure that these changes are made. Many suggestions have been made on the AHA forums and other related forums and the current Governing Committee has not listened to membership input. It’s time to get people in there who can act on membership suggestions and get changes implemented before next year’s competition faster than the current snail’s pace that the current Governing Committee is moving at.

AHA national convention – While the number of attendees for this event has increased, the organizational level needed to handle that growth has not. Combine that with some archaic rules on hosting the event, the potential to change this event for the better become apparent.

I look at the current board and I see a lot of faces that have been on there for years. The AHA has grown in size and most of the local members I’ve talked to are just as unhappy about the way things are going as I am. It’s time for new blood on the board and some fresh ideas. If you vote for me, I promise to work on the things listed above and make this a better organization.

Thanks
Chris Hummert
President
Oregon Brew Crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Docjowles posted:

Haha I voted a week or two ago and, in all seriousness, voted for you. I need to go back and re-listen to your Brewing Network interview now that I know you're a goon.

Thanks for the vote, I appreciate it. I've heard a few people mention that they voted for me because of my message. I'm hoping its going to be enough