Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
Does anyone have any experience with using sanitized bags of ice to cool down wort as described here? I would imagine the bag would melt or affect the taste of the beer, but maybe it doesn't?

I'm anxious to get my first brew started but I'm concerned about getting the wort down to pitch temperature. I don't really have the money to invest in an immersion chiller so I'm looking for the most efficient and cheap way to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
That milk jug deal sounds pretty good.

I'm trying to not sound so clueless, but if one person has a question someone else out there probably has the same question, right? It didn't occur to me that I won't be dealing with 5 gallons of wort off the stove and that I'll need to top it off with water anyway. This is becoming slightly less intimidating the more I go through the steps in my head.

Thanks, dudes.

edit: I guess I still do have a question about the boiling water and plastics logistics. If I boil the water, how long can I wait to put it in the container, whether it's a plastic bag or jug? At what point does the boiled water lose it's sterility after sitting out? I'm doing the Google thing but haven't figured out the right word phrase yet.

Globochem fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 23, 2011

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
My batch has been fermenting for about five days now and I'm very concerned about keeping the temperature down. I'm in Texas where we're still getting regular 100+ days and for the most part all I've been able to do is keep a fan on the fermenter.

I just realized I had a container that the bucket could fit into, would it be a bad idea to put the fermenter in the container with a little bit of water and an ice pack? Is it too late? Would a drastic temperature swing do more harm than good?

I can't wait until this is all over and I can learn from my experiences.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003

Cointelprofessional posted:

I saw this in the coupon and deals forum.

6 Gallon carboys on sale too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002VFXW5W

Is this always $30 or is that the sale price?

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
I can't tell if this is an absurd question or not but maybe someone has dealt with a similar experience. I finally got a little wine refrigerator for fermenting my beer. When seeking it out I made sure to take careful measurements of my 5 gallon carboy to make sure it'd fit. I found a cooler that fit the measurements, brought it home, carboy fits snug but nicely.

I quickly realized my primary bucket is a little bit wider than my carboy and doesn't allow the door to close, there's a good inch or so at the largest point of the gap between the frame and the door.

I don't think I'm going to be able to find a bucket that's going to fit and it seems like a waste to do my primary in the steamy Texas heat only to move it in the fridge for secondary. I'm wondering if it's possible to get some weatherstripping to fill the gap for a couple weeks. Will too much cold air escape? Will I warp the door? Is it a lost cause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003

RiggenBlaque posted:

I can't speak to the weatherstripping, but when I found out the buckets I used to ferment in wouldn't fit in my fridge, I propped them up with a doorstop so the door could close.

This is pretty much what I plan on doing. I've got some foam weatherstripping used for air conditioners that I'd use to plug the gaps then sit a heavy object against the door to keep it as close to closed as possible. My biggest concern here is that I'm going to do permanent damage to either the hinges or the existing seal.

I'd take a hatchet to the innards and the door if I could, but the door is glass and I think the compressor is behind the back panel so I think I'd be creating more problems.