Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Huge_Midget posted:

So does anyone have any experience with Nelson Sauvin hops? I recently ordered a pound of them because they were just harvested, and I am making Tomme Arthur's Saison Blanc. I've read that they have a very unique, grape-y flavor to them. Our local homebrew club is going to be doing a SMaSH series next month to showcase a bunch of different hop profiles, basically Maris Otter, Safale US-05, and 40 IBUs of hops in a basic American pale. I'm going to try it with the Nelsons.

I had an Elysian beer brewed with only those and it was actually amazing. Definitely a unique fruity flavor, and not at all mango/tropical fruits like a lot of hops. I went out and spent the money on the Mikkeller and was pretty underwhelmed, but it was far far older than the Elysian batch so that could be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
I am about to do my first brew in Seattle, where I just moved, when I realized the water here has a good amount of Chlorine in it just from the smell. In the past I've always mashed with tap and only used bottled for topping off.

Here's the water report: http://www.seattle.gov/util/groups/public/@spu/@water/documents/webcontent/01_013138.pdf

Will just boiling the water once before everything force the chlorine to evaporate out? should I avoid it totally? From looking around it seems like Chlorine is ok and boils out but Chloramine is bad and can't be boiled out but it doesn't look like I have that, at least I think. Searching on google pulls up a lot of homebrewtalk threads of people discussing Seattle water, with about half saying it needs treatment and causes a lot of bad flavors and half saying "it's fine! dwrhahb..."

and a second question. I'm unpacking all my gear from moving and my wort chiller somehow got star san all over it, and it basically stayed on it, full strength. Caused a lot of blue/green oxidation all over the copper pipping. It wipes off mostly, but there's still some very obvious spots even after a lot of cleaning. is it still ok?

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

hbf posted:

and a second question. I'm unpacking all my gear from moving and my wort chiller somehow got star san all over it, and it basically stayed on it, full strength. Caused a lot of blue/green oxidation all over the copper pipping. It wipes off mostly, but there's still some very obvious spots even after a lot of cleaning. is it still ok?

after some googling, it turns out green oxidation on copper is really bad, and toxic. However, it looks like a good scrub with hot distilled white vinegar should take care of it thankfully.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Just did a brew with Safale US-05. Normally, I never worry about things getting too cold because my old apartment was always quite warm. However my new place gets really chilly, I haven't started using the heat yet. Ambient temp is prob around 60F. Is this too cold for proper fermentation?

And I was trying to clone Avery's Ellie's Brown, here's the recipe I went with based on their website and some guesswork:
8# Maris Otter
1# Munich 10L
.5# Crystal 10L
.5# Crystal 120L
.5# Chocolate 450L
.5oz Norther Brewer (60min) - subbed for Bullion which I couldn't find.
.5oz Cascade (30min)
.5oz Fuggles (0min)
OG 1.058
IBU 22

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Is there a list of out there of commercial beers that use non-coniditioning yeast for bottling? I want to star trying to harvest from bottles, specifically De Dolle Dulle Teve. Really digging that one lately. I know Wyeast 3942 is De Dolle Wit yeast and I've used that in the past but I'm guessing Dulle Teve has it's own strain. Supposedly derived from Rodenbach.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Docjowles posted:

Could you link a source on that? Everything I've heard said that a plastic bucket is like an order of magnitude above glass in oxygen permeability.

Fake edit: found the source I was thinking of. Lists a bucket as 220 cc/L per year vs 17 for a glass carboy w/ stopper. 23 is for a wooden barrel. Although I admit I could be reading the chart wrong. http://www2.parc.com/emdl/members/apte/flemishredale.shtml

Real edit: Either way, props on the Gabriel Knight avatar, love those games.

HDPE plastic, aka recycling symbol "2" is 220cc/L/year. PET plastic aka recycling symbol "1" is 20cc/L/year or less. PET is basically equivalent to glass. Also PET water bottles such as those used in a water cooler are totally fine to use and are not different in anyway than a better bottle despite what someone on homebrewtalk will tell you. They are both just pure polyethylene.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Anyone ever made a fruit beer with fresh cherries? I have 4 pounds each of Rainier cherries and an unknown tart cherry in my freezer that I picked last weekend. I also brewed a blonde ale which I plan to rack onto the cherries in 2 different carboys (2.5 gal into each).

I have heard a lot of mixed things about how to handle the cherries. From, do nothing and throw them frozen into the carboy to needing to pit each cherry, puree and pasteurize at 160 for 10 minutes then add pectic enzyme.

At this point I was thinking of just heating the whole cherries to 160 for 10 minutes, mashing them up as best I can in the pot and adding them to the carboy like that, racking the beer over when it cools. Pitting hundreds of cherries by hand sounds like a huge pain.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Docjowles posted:

Someone correct me if I'm off base, but this is more or less why we have lambic. Source: "Wild Brews". Historically, brewers in Brussels just happened to be near some cherry orchards. Wild yeast likes to grow on fruit. Belgian brewers conducted open fermentations--meaning whatever stuff in the air could just get into the wort--and hundreds of years ago people didn't even know yeast/bacteria existed so sanitation wasn't a big thing. They also fermented in wooden barrels because that's what they had. Microorganisms do very well in wood.

Combine all these factors, and "wild yeast from foraged food" is basically why we have one of the most highly regarded beer styles in the world.

TLDR it will produce booze, whether it'll be good is just up to experimentation. You could pitch some normal brewers yeast then add the apples in secondary if you want to hedge against it sucking. Seems like a perfect small batch experiment, though!

I really do not want wild yeasts in my beer this time (see my post about cherries a few posts up). While I see the potential there, I don't really want to waste a batch + 8 lbs of cherries right now. Plus, I already have a sour project going taking up one of my carboys for the next few months.

I am curious how to handle these fresh cherries to just get some cherry flavor and not introduce any wild bugs.