Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hello beer thread

I decided to brew last night, and realized (as I unboxed my gear) that I had not brewed since I bought a house and moved ~3 years ago.

so loving shameful.

brewed a simple wheat beer, 6lbs 2 row, 2lbs wheat, 1lb 20l caramel, some hallertau and tett hops, salt, black pepper, coriander, and a last minute decision to add a nonsubstantial amount of honey and rice syrup. sorta ended up doing a semi-decoction mash due to some issues with not planning far enough in advance with my mash schedule. (read : ohgod, my mash is stuck at 135 and I don't have enough hot water to heat this poo poo, gently caress it, let's pull some runoff and boil it)

1.47 OG, probably a 18-20 SRM, darker than I wanted - and pitched some wyeast belgian wit.

feels good to be back in the game - will clean out my mold-filled kegerator, and pressure wash my mold-covered kegs this week. hurray. one keg has a gose a friend of mine talked me in to kegging about 2 years ago, super excited to taste it. it was sour as gently caress 2 years ago, and we basically forgot about it, so gonna be a fun one. pretty likely all my poo poo is contaminated with brett or something, but I love sour beers so I guess gonna zen out and embrace it.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mah ghetto-fab fermentation fridge.

just slapped a $20 network enabled temp/humidity sensor in it, it's working actually really well. started off a lil cool, adjusting up my temps

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BrianBoitano posted:

Give a goon a link?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081UR76...la-313100824740

this. I debated buying it for a while because ALL GOONS DEBATE BUYING poo poo ON THE INTERNET AND READ A MILLION REVIEWS but

I'm pretty convinced anyone who gave it a bad review either had a defective unit, or were not technically savvy. The setup honestly was a little weird, you have to connect the sensor unit via hardwire ethernet, read a little quickstart thing to understand why your dumb chinabox is just sitting there flashing red lights, wire and pair up your sensors to the main "basestation" or whatever you wanna call it, download an app, create an account, register/license(??) your sensors with the company, press buttons with correct timing, etc. Not really plug and play, but it was 20 bux and once set up seems to be rock solid.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
when I was last regularly brewing, I pretty much decided I should add a tab of whirlfloc to every batch I ever made from that point forward. and I guess I have. y'all have any thoughts on it? I've been even adding it to my hefes

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
anyone got tips for troubleshooting pressure loss with a kegging setup? my lines were buried in a deep dark mess of 2 year old mold and nastiness - I got everything out, PBW'd it, hooked it up to a 10lb co2 tank and regulator overnight, with all gas lines open, and I lost maybe 200psi. one of my regs had a check valve that was acting a little weird but I think I cleared that up - I replaced a pressure gauge on my poo poo that had gotten banged up, but other than that no reason to think anything needed to be fixed.

not really sure where to start, my instinct is to throw everything in a bathtub and look for bubbles, but

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thanks everyone, that's actually some really encouraging poo poo. I feel like I can tackle this now, was sort of second guessing myself due to all the other poo poo I was trying to accomplish/fix at the same time. breaking it down bit by bit is definitely how to proceed.

Jo3sh posted:

Also, this is bugging me:

You lost 200# on the high-pressure gauge? Did you have this setup in the fridge, cooling? The cooling itself might be what caused the pressure drop. CO2 is liquid in the bottle, so the pressure will be basically constant until you're 99% empty, at which time the pressure drops like a stone. Leaks generally don't cause the high pressure gauge to move unless you've lost the whole bottle, in other words. It's not like nitrogen, which is gaseous in the bottle. The high-pressure gauge on a nitrogen bottle drops basically linearly as you draw off gas, so if that's what you're used to, you may be misled by the way CO2 acts.

it's bugging me too. no fridge action involved, it was sitting out on the counter, ~78deg. I had done like 6 hours of cleaning, gassed it up and gave it a hail mary "hey, I got 1200 psi on my main reg right now, if I drop by a sliver I'll know something is wrong". it was just above 900 when I checked it the next morning.

I'll check the lines and regs themselves with a soapy water solution, and then check each keg once I've ruled out the physical parts between my gas and my kegs. sooooooo much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my understanding of 'flaked' means it's been run through a press (aka, the additive version of milling'), and possibly also steam cooked or gelatinized - so more or less good to go.