Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

the42ndtourist posted:

I recently acquired one of these:
http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/product_info.php/info/p2_Braumeister-20-litres.html

How did you find the cleaning? Is it an effort to wash clean all the bits/pump etc?
(is there an enclosed element in there?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Does anyone here know much about using fruit (specifically frozen blueberries) in beer? I have a few questions:

Do I need to worry about yeast/bacteria on the blueberries? (does freezing kill them?)
Should I mush them up before I add them?
How do people normally add them, I havent bothered with a secondary for years so was thinking I would mush them up and dump them in once fermentation is finished or almost finished, might end up blocking the tap when I try and get it out though.
Am I going to get any noticable flavour/colour from only 450g of frozen blueberries?
Last but not least how does this sound:

Recipe: BluebAler
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.80 l
Post Boil Volume: 29.12 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 1 95.2 %
0.25 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 4.8 %
25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 10.8 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 6 -
25.00 g Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 11.9 IBUs
450.00 g Frozen Blueberries (Primary 7.0 days) Other 7 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 36.00 l of water at 69.9 C 66.7 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

450 mushed up thawed blueberries into primary once fermentation slows/ends, leave for 3 days or so then into the keg?
Havent decided wether to use a lager or us-05 yeast..

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

indigi posted:

If you're using fresh fruit, it's best to think in terms of pounds per gallon. I'd start with at least 1:1 and see how it goes. Also why use a lager yeast when you're going to be fruiting and tannining it up anyway?

Because of the small ammount of blueberries I figured the flavour may be pretty subtle and better suited to a lager (may get a slight color from the blueberries also). But having said that I think I will go with us-05 as thats fairly neutral anyway.

Have already done the boil so too late to add them to that, I could just boil them on the stove in some water but wanted to avoid this as im not sure what this will do to the flavour of the berries or how the pectin will effect the beer.

I basically just wanted to get a slightly blueberry flavour and maybe slight ammount of colour from them.

But if the small ammount isnt going to do anything except risk infection maybe I will just skip it this time.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

I would remove the keg posts / dip tubes etc and soak everything in a cleaner as suggested above.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

I thought I read someplace honey will stop things growing in it, but once you water it down dormant bacteria can start growing? Is this correct?

Wikipedia says

quote:

Most microorganisms do not grow in honey because of its low water activity of 0.6.[3] However, honey sometimes contains dormant endospores of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, which can be dangerous to infants, as the endospores can transform into toxin-producing bacteria in the infant's immature intestinal tract, leading to illness and even death[4] (see Health hazards below).

Not that many infants are drinking beer, but can other bacteria etc also lie dormant in honey?

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

BIAB setup

Only registered members can see post attachments!

deebo fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 14, 2012

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

I don't get you BIAB guys that take it that far. I get people that do it because throwing a mesh bag in your existing brew kettle is easier/cheaper than buying and modifying a cooler but what you've made definitely looks like more work than taking 20 minutes to modify a cooler and it's messier and harder to clean.

It's just an urn, a ladder and pulley? (I didnt have a brew kettle). I dont think rinsing out a bag is any harder than rinsing out a mash tun really?

The price to buy a pot + element + cooler + bits for cooler would have been far more, this way I can use the urn as HLT if I decide to go 3V later.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Basically just a stainless steel container with an element and tap (usually heats water for coffee/tea in catering places). It's handy as I can use a temp controller and electrical timer to preheat my strike water before I wake up, also use it to heat for mashout and then pull bag and boil.

I wrapped a cheap camping mat around it to see how it insulates but have since pulled it off as bits of wort would drip in between it and the urn and get sticky.

Edit: This looks like a small 10L one, the one I use is 40l

deebo fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 14, 2012

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I think he's just saying that it looks more expensive and complicated than just making a mash tun.

It is a boiler and a mash tun in one.
I dont see how buying a mash tun and boiler/heat source would be cheaper or less complicated?

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

duck monster posted:

Dump a bottle of cordial (I think its called squash in the US?) into your keg, fill it up with water (you might need to work out your percentages here. I used an indonesian Sala cordial, and worked out that I can fill the keg about 2/3 for best flavor), gas it, and cool it down to about 2c and blammo, all the loving soda drink your goony asses can handle.

Soda stream syrups also work well.

Maybe try a small bit first to see if you like it.. I have made up the cream soda one previous and liked that but wife wanted the ice tea one, had one sip and said she doesnt like it so now I have a keg of soft drink wasting space in the beer fridge.. will have to just dump it I think.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

For 5 gallons, the strainer won't be able to hold all the grains, but my grain bag will. Do you guys think it's worth trying this method on a 5 gallon batch (again), or should I just do some steeping + extract brews until I get and modify a Gott cooler?

I would try it again, I normally get about 75-80% efficiency in the mash with BIAB.

Some things to try (without knowing what you actually did already):
Crush grain finer, or ask whoever is crushing it to run it through the mill twice.
Squeeze your bag.
If you want you can fill a bucket with some mash temp water and dunk sparge the bag in that to get a bit more efficiency, then add to boil.
Make sure you bag is loose in the mash tun (it should basically just line the tun not be a tight bag)
Try and make sure your thermometer is accurate.
Stir while heating to make sure heat is distributed evenly.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Stainless steel nuts or bolts work ok for sinking hop bags also.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Out of curiosity, how much is a pint there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

I just tried a witbier. I know nothing much about them and this was my first. Didn't have any oranges so went with zest of 2 lemons, 3 chamomile teabags and about 11g coriander seed 5 mins from end of boil. Smelt pretty good but think might benefit from more zest or coriander seeds. Will see once fermentation ends