Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."

icehewk posted:

What temp does cold crashing entail? Refrigerator temperatures? I got a few yeast rafts (loogie looking chunks floating on top) but I smacked it while the pack was still frozen so that might have something to do with lack of moisture exposure.

edit: Would a half pack of Munton's work for this?

Yea, its usually fridge temps. Basically as close to freezing as you can get without actually freezing. The Munton's would work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."
My understanding for less esters is a lower temperature. I believe 62-64 is the hive mind recommended range for Hefe yeasts to not produce much banana runt bubble gum esters. I know its not what either White Labs or Wyeast recommend. I generally shoot for that range when making hefes myself and get great results.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
I've heard Galaxy is a good substitute for Simcoe. It's Australian.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

My dad and I brewed a 10% Belgian and it sat in secondary for 4 months (we were lazy...), so we decided it would be best to add yeast at bottling. It was our first time doing this. My dad actually did the bottling himself and was worried things went wrong.

Here's what he did:
- boiled the dextrose in water
- rehydrated the yeast in the dextrose water, per instructions on the packet, after letting it cool
- Put the dextrose/yeast water in the bottling bucket and siphoned the beer from the carboy into the bucket.
- Gave a light stir before bottling.

We thought this would be the best way to ensure it was mixed evenly, however he noticed a lot of yeast particles towards the end of bottling. Did we screw up? Should he have dumped the yeast into the carboy the night before? If we did screw up, are we going to have flat beer or will it just take 6 months or more to carbonate? If the former, what can we do?

I think you're fine. This is one case where rehydrating dried yeast is indeed very beneficial. You have to rehydrate it into a slurry as per the directions (it will look like regular liquid yeast when you're through) You can then add this slurry to your bottling bucket just as you did to effectively re yeast your beer. That's exactly what I would have done. The yeast floating up was probably some of the old yeast from primary that you may have stirred up when you racked the beer over to the bottling bucket. I bet it will carbonate great.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

Jacobey000 posted:

Hahahah, I had the program open and the webpage pulled up and still somehow missed that. Oy Vay.

I dunno if my Secret Santa wanted tasting notes, but I did them anyway. Mostly because I want to know more about the sour.

One Year Aged Belgian Abbey
Strong dark cherries, not overly sweet, no noticeable hop at all, STRONG tasting but not boozy. Really nice winter-time brew.

Pale Belgian Sour Ale
Strong 'sour' nose, even smelled it when pouring. Palate changes fast, 1st - Sweettart sweet/acid, 2nd - A splash of barn/farm funk, 3rd - a mellow residual sweetness that lingers. VERY tart. Oh so good. I'd love to brew this one myself - recipe/notes?

Munich Dunkel
Pretty much nothing but smooth roast in the head/nose. Very clean. Chocolaty thick mouthfeel but somehow not so "dense" (if that makes any sense at all). Quite drinkable.

Overall a really great three beers, thanks Santa.
It's me. Glad you enjoyed them.

The sour is my interpretation of Jolly Pumpkin Bam Bier. The grist is based on RageSaq's The Muse. The grist was about 51% Belgian 2 row, 22% Marris Otter, 7% flaked oats, 7% Vienna, 7% wheat malt, 3% Caravienna, and 2% acid malt to balance the ph. Hops were 28 IBU of Styrian Golding at 60. I fermented first with WLP 550 in the low 70s and then pitched a 1L starter built up from the dregs of a relatively fresh bottle of Bam Bier. This set in secondary for 2 months before I added a small amount of medium toast French oak (only 3-5 cubes). It's important to boil the oak for about 5 min in some water in the microwave to reduce the oak flavor. The water is discarded and the oak added to secondary. This sat for another 2 months until the oak is barely perceptible. I then added some more of the original yeast and some priming sugar and bottled. FG was 1.005 at bottling. It took another 4 months in bottles before the Brett character became evident though. Sourness is present within weeks of adding the bugs though. I really think the large starter is important to get the sourness. I started with only a cup of wort and the dregs. This fermented for a few days before I added 1L of fresh wort. This sat for a few weeks until the starter dropped clear. I decanted before pitching it.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

Ice concentrating my Imperial Oktoberfest (basically a doppelbock), calling it "Icetoberfest."

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

he1ixx posted:

I did a ton more research after the feedback here and ran across this one, which I ended up buying. I'm going for the fig/raisin/plum flavors I so cherish in St Bernardus Abt 12. I'm under no illusion that what I make will be anywhere near that good but hey, its a target right?

White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale

I'm planning on brewing today but I've never brewed outside in weather this code (19' F).

I have a small area under my front porch which is where I do most of my brews. During the summer I set up the kettle and burner on a brick patio in front of the awning with the awning providing shade. The awning actually traps the heat during the summer so the kettle is about 10' away. Today I'm hoping that heat trapping will be to my advantage but I honestly have no idea how this is going to go. Any advice? I'm looking forward to a unique experience but am I going to have issues with difficulty keeping the boil going? Any things I should do, pay attention to, or avoid?

If you're going for a St Bernardus taste, I would use either the WY3787 or its sister White Labs strain, WLP530, as that is the Westmalle strain. Westvleteren uses the Westmalle strain, and St Bernardus used to brew Westvleteren's beers. I'm pretty sure St Bernardus still uses basically this same strain today. Also, use a blowoff tube.
Cheers!

EDIT: Well, I just saw you chose WLP500 already. That's Chimay's strain. Its a bit more fruity and less phenolic than the character you get with the westmalle strain.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

St. Bernardus uses the "original" Westvleteren Strain, I believe.

Yup, just checked Brew Like a Monk. That is what is believed, although its still not 100% clear.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
So, just out of curiosity, am I the only one that didn't receive their secret santa gift this year?

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

So I finally dragged out my Beer Gun to try and bottle up a few bottles and I have to say, this thing is a real pain in the rear end. I couldn't tell you if it works or not because it needs not one, but two separate accessory packs to even work with a typical kegging setup and even assuming you have all of the necessary parts, it takes a good 20 minutes or assembly and loving around with parts and kegs to get it to work. A plastic racking cane with a stopper seems like a better solution merely because it takes 3 minutes to pull the cane out, sanitize it and then stick it in the tap.

So far it seems like a huge pain; maybe I'm just doing it wrong or it will go faster once I know what I'm doing?

It just kind of depends on how you have your system setup. I have an extra C02 line on the outside of my kegerator that I hook up to. Besides that one C02 line, the connections are the same as with a racking cane bottler. My problem with racking cane bottlers was I could never get it to shut off. I don't have that problem with the Blichmann. Bottling from a keg will never be as easy as priming sugar and bottling bucket mind you, because you're dealing with carbonated liquids.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

Xiuhteuctli posted:

I recently brewed a Belgian Tripel from a Brewer's Best kit. It has been in the Primary for 2 weeks, and I just put it into the Secondary yesterday.

2 problems:
1) The FG is really high--like 1.030 when it should be down to like...1.020. I'm going to let it sit, but is this normal?
2) There is a brownish layer on top of the Tripel. I'm worried it might be infection. My primary is a bucket, so I don't know if this brown layer is normal.

Here is a picture of it.

You need to pitch more yeast and see it that will help finish it, because 1.030 is really high for a tripel (ideally around 1.008-1.014 according to the BJCP). But make sure you pitch active yeast, not dormant yeast. To do this you need to make a small (~.5L or so) starter and pitch the whole thing into the beer. If you just pitch a pack of dried yeast or a vial/pouch of yeast straight its just going to hit that wort and go to sleep on you, but if its actively working, it will continue to do so if it can.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

Jacobey000 posted:

First lager, no idea about temperatures during fermentation - who has the best advice? Palmer?

Here is more info than you ever wanted to know about fermenting lagers at home and also commercially. http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers . There is also a good article on decoction mashing if that's your bag on that site as well. The guy really knows his German beers (he is German after all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

Jacobey000 posted:

Someone mentioned it in response to another post but it's http://www.bargainfittings.com/

I also really like https://www.brewhardware.com