Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I had 25,000 unread posts on this thread, so I just skipped to the end. Apologies if I repeat something that was recently covered.

I've been out of the game for almost two years and I'm looking to get back in. I'd been saving for a new kettle and never turned off the automatic withdrawals, so I have a pretty sizable budget I'm willing to spend on equipment. I'd like to get some sort of brewstand (preferably with wheels if it's a big motherfucker) and a RIMS setup - basically I want to streamline the process to make setting up and breaking down as efficient as possible. (I love long, double-batch brewdays, but it's the beginning and end that piss me off most.) I'm imagining a two-burner setup with one pump to move poo poo around. I have a keg I can use as my mash tun that's already drilled, so it'll be easy to hook up to a RIMS tube, though I might get a second dedicated pump for it just for convenience. Depending on how much things cost.

I did some really basic research on Amazon before I realized I should just come here and ask, because this thread was always such a baller resource for poo poo like this that you'd only know if you were following developments in hobby pretty closely. I liked this stand because it has really great reviews from a lot of homebrewers, it's reasonably priced, and can hold two 30 gallon pots. But I'm totally happy to be talked out of it if there's something better (I'm not wild about the jet burner and would probably modify it to a regular banjo if possible).

I have very little technical ability to DIY any of the electronics poo poo or TIG weld a Brutus stand myself, so the less I'm required to do, the less chance I have of loving something up.

Anyway, hello again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I saw the Grainfather; that looked close to what I want initially, but I don't want to be married to the one setup, batch size, etc. after shelling out nearly a grand. I'd like to be able to scale and customize as I go along. A couple of the Ruby Rod (or whatever) stands looks pretty good, but they're all three-burner, and most of their setups come with three kettles/two pumps/etc. all included, which I don't want or need.

Also I said I have a pretty decent budget, but $1900 for just the frame and burners seems really overpriced and removes a lot of my flexibility for the rest of what I want to do.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

If you want to start with just the stand, Morebeer has the BrewBuilt Afterburner, which is a pretty slick-looking stainless single burner. They also sell a kit to gang them together, plus a wheel kit and a handle you can bolt on the other end. I was looking at those myself, but Morebeer says they can't be converted to natural gas, which is one of my current goals. I think they are wrong, but I'm not willing to drop hundreds of dollars on that particular experiment right now.

drat, and you can add handles/wheels to it? And they sell a bracket to connect a pump? That's awesome, basically exactly what I'm looking for as far as the basic setup goes. Thanks!

e: whoa and the BrewBuilt kettles have internal volume markers. That poo poo is genius and would be insanely useful. Might have to get a new boiler

indigi fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 6, 2016

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oh wow, they're making stainless steel fermenters now. That's crazy. When I drifted away the only SS fermenters were those 15 gallon conical jawns.

I saw on one of the sites that you can get a plastic 7.9 gal conical for a reasonable price; anyone have a trip report for that? Seems really convenient to harvest/reuse yeast and get rid of trub.

e: are March pumps still the only good pumps, or did the Chuggers improve their quality/consistency?

indigi fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 6, 2016

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Speaking of hot dogs, I have some mason jars with 2-3 year old harvested yeast sitting in the back of my brewing/beer fridge. I am anxious about emptying them cause of autolysis :ohdear:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is the first time I'm trying to come up with my own recipe so I'm out of my element for sure.

It looks fine (definitely add some base malt like Marsh suggested), although with only 4lbs of honey as the fermentables it's gonna be a table braggot, something like 2.5-3% abv.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, that reminds me - honey doesn't have nutrients for yeast the way grain does, so you'll want to add some nutrient and/or pitch a bit more than you would for a comparable beer. Stressed yeast can lead to some rocket fuel flavors. A couple pounds of two-row might have all the nutrients you need, but I don't think overpitching would negatively impact the flavor.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rockcity posted:

Those fast ferments you're talking about get bad reviews. Apparently the threads on everything strip/get cross threaded very easily and once it does, the unit is ruined. I'd look at the SS Brewtech Brew Bucket or the Chapman ferementers if you want stainless. Both are made very well and people in here have them.

Thanks! That's a $100+ mistake I won't be making then

Anyone know where to buy a RIMS tube/tube kit OR an insanely detailed, idiot-proof guide to assembling one for dumbshits who know very little about electronics?

e: I can find just the enclosure in a few places, but they all come with apocalyptic warnings about how if a professional electrician doesn't install the heating element you will electrocute yourself and die, definitely. Just sell the whole thing as a unit, then!!

indigi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 7, 2016

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Word.

It looks like the easiest way to go about setting up a plug and play RIMS system is:
1 x Blichmann RIMS Rocket 120V - $145
1 x Temperature sensor adapter - ~$35 (although even I plan to knock this together at a local hardware store for $10-15 bucks, it's very basic)
1 x PID Temperature Controller, Sous Vide temperature controller, or similar. (I've linked two Auber models because that's the most recommended brand) - $30-150, depending on how crazy you feel like getting.

Should be able to get it done for under $300 bucks, which is great. I'm lightweight considering getting the 240V model so I can do step mashes and mash out without having to add any water - I've seen some people say the 120V is great for maintaining temperature but can take quite a while to raise the temperature by any significant amount - but that isn't really a big problem because I usually prefer a thicker mash anyway.

If anyone ees anything I'm missing or glaring flaws with my planned setup, please let me know! Like I've said - I suck at this sort of thing.

And Der Penguingott - what was the starting gravity, what mash temp/yeast did you use? Vienna has a high diastatic power, so I don't think that impacted your fermentability at all. I don't see a problem with that grain bill. In the end, if it tastes good, gently caress it - don't worry too much.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

Just to point out, that's the conversion kit, which assumes you already have a Hop Rocket. If you don't, it's $265.
Well, gently caress me running. Oh well, I guess I'll have a Hop Rocket now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Has anyone used/tried a beer brewed with Yeast Bay's Sigmund's Voss Kveik? I've been browsing around looking at new (to me) yeast strains, and this one caught my eye because it claims "Sigmund's Voss Kveik also exhibits the ability to ferment wort over a large temperature range, 70 - 100º F, without major changes to the flavor profile or production of any harsh phenolics or fusel alchohols ... We highly recommend taking this into the high end of temperature range, 90-100 ºF."

Fermenting at 90-100º F? That sounds like absolute madness. I wouldn't even take Wyeast 3711 into that range to finish a beer, let alone ferment entirely within that bracket. On the other hand, if at all true, it sounds like a godsend for people in warmer climates with no temperature control. I might have to brew something with this over the summer just to see what the gently caress happens.