Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
I'm taking inventory on all of my hops and it really makes me feel like a drug dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Harvest time is the best time.

That's Daniel Del Grande (of Bison Brewing) in front of a fuckton of Tettnanger. It took every inch of willpower not to jump into this.

mattdev fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 17, 2011

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Docjowles posted:

You don't need a refractometer, but they are a nice time saver.

I dunno, I would highly recommend a refractometer over a hydrometer. I ended up breaking about 5 hydrometers before I finally dropped the cash on a refractometer. I'd consider it an investment that would save careless people like myself A LOT of money!

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Cointelprofessional posted:

How do people clean their blow off tubes? I used my siphoning tube, because I didn't have anything better at the time and now it's got a lot of gunk in it.

Soak that poo poo in PBW overnight and you'll come back to a clean blowoff tube.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

rage-saq posted:

Check https://www.thesaq.net/beer/recipes (not fancy looking yet, I'm working on an index page and other stuff) it has my quad recipe that I'm brewing in a week or two and its called The Pious.

Funny, I actually pulled this recipe from HBT and I'm brewing it on Sunday. Didn't realize that it was you!

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

All citra hopped beer :barf:

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Sorry dude, Zombie Dust and Wet are both loving delicious.

I didn't know zombie dust was all citra. I had some of that the other day at a tasting (we don't get 3F out here at all) and I really didn't like it because it just reeked of cat piss to me. It all makes sense now.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

So I think I might try my first double brew day this weekend. I ended up with a poo poo LOAD of pumpkins from my CSA box and I figured I'd make the pumpkin beer from BCS again since it seemed to go over pretty well.

Anyways, I'm planning on brewing it along side a Baltic porter. The BP will be a 10 gallon batch (Christmas presents, y'all) and the pumpkin beer will be 5 gallons. Any tips on the best way to get this done in the least amount of time? Which should I do first? How should I time things?

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

If you're really paranoid like I am, I'll usually sanitize one of those hop bags and stick it over the racking cane. That usually prevents any hop particles from getting into the keg/bottling bucket.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

For those brewing lagers, how many of you use Narziss lagering over the traditional diacetyl rest? I've tried the Narziss one a couple times but I've always found it to be slightly more buttery than the traditional style, which is clean and crisp. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

digitalhifi posted:

^^I saw "Nazi Lager" instead of "Narziss Lager". "How many of you use Nazi lagering?"

Sorry, anyway I haven't tried this method, but it looks like a very good method. What way were you using before? Were you pitching cold or warm?

I've always pitched cold. Pitch at 45, let it naturally rise to 50 and hold it there for the remainder of fermentation.