Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
I actually was in home depot the other day eyeing a large chest freezer for multiple kegs and the estimated electricity usage a year was like $30 so i think you're about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Sent out my SS today. Without being specific. The distance might mean it will get there on monday or tuesday, but I added a little extra thing to compensate.

EDIT: I'll give a hint: It's NOT a Therminator, or a Ranco Dual-Stage. Or tissue paper. Somewhere in between.

Darth Goku Jr fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 22, 2011

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Got my SS today, not going to lie when I felt how light the package was I was a bit disappointed, but when I opened it up it was more than worth it. Four ounces each of Mt Hood, Willamette, Magnum, and Simcoe leaf hops for a freaking pound of delicious! My secret santa kept it really secret even afterwards. So, secret goon, thank you. Seriously.

For the record, their handwriting did not suck. Pic of the swag tomorrow.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Does anyone use nitro when they carb? if it wasn't too much of an additional investment over co2, It would be awesome to do the occasional stout or esb with it. Show all those assholes that Guinness isn't all that special.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

about to tackle a raspberry mead I MEAN MELOMEL next week, and it'll be my first. I've made a cyser before but that was just this process:

sanitize everything that'll touch anything? sure I guess.
cool, now put everything (including yeast nutrient) in the carboy and shake. did you do that? uhhh yeah
wait five or six weeks and bottle like it's ale

will it really be any different save maybe 5 or six months longer? i'm pretty sure i want it to be sparkling, though not champagne levels or anything. will i need new yeast then or is wine yeast still viable much longer? because if i need new yeast i have a shitton of other questions

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

I'm just saying, someone in Houston, Texas is receiving something awesome tomorrow.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Pretty sure I'm missing a batch or two, this is all from the top of my head pretty much.

Batch #1 English Brown ale i guess. Popped my homebrew cherry. Didn't gently caress up. Addicted.
#2 Marzen without lagering process. Hey I was just reading Complete Joy give me a break! Ok
#3 Dunkelweizen/weizenbock. By and large my favorite extract recipe, thanks Char6lie P!
#4 Kolsch v1. eh. Extract
#5 Steam v1, better than eh, not much though

#6 Raspberry wit. Nice level of acidity, want to try modifying recipe in future though.
#7 ESB v1, was very eh, tried the recipe from Radical Brewing.
#8 Summer Ale with ginger and coriander from Radical brewing. Used same yeast as 'eh' esb to much better effect (WLP013)
#9 Saison, straight up, no spices. Can you tell it's summertime yet?
#10 Pliny the Elder clone. Noticed I hadn't made any real hoppy beers yet and decided the obvious thing to do was use a recipe with a calculated IBU of over 250. Did not disappoint.
#11 Cyser. FG came in at a cackling 0.994, still awesomely drinkable.
#12 ESB v2. First partial mash. Used MO and WLP002 and a big improvement.
#13 Steam v2 Much better, still didn't get the NB hops i wanted for a cleaner profile, still solid. Extract
#14 Kolsch v2. The proudest I had been with a beer. Most technically proficient beer I had made up til that point. Partial Mash.
#15 Smoked IPA with chipotle pepper. Just wanted to get goofy. Went British style to downplay hop character. Pretty solid all told.
#16 Dusseldorf Alt. Extract, decent but really want to try it partial mash or all grain. First completely temp controlled fermentation.
#17 All-Citra IPA v1, for a friend, really happy with it and convinced a friend to homebrew. win-win
#18 pumpkin ale. kept the spices restrained, and caramelized some pumpkin for secondary. pretty happy with it.
#19 Oatmeal stout. VERY solid beer, can't wait to make again.
#20 Oatmeal cookie brown. Kinda screwed up mash, bad efficiency.
#21 Dunkelweizen. So good I kept it as an extract recipe.
#22 Oatmeal cookie brown 2: Redemption. A marked improvement.
#23 Mostly citra IPA. Took the all-citra, and incorporated some Simcoe in it to give it a piney backbone at the request of friend. Brewed it Yesterday.

Next up though not necessarily in order: Belgian golden strong ale, alt v2, and steam v3 (first all-grain)

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Never. Stop. Brewing.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Though i do want to upgrade to a 5# tank, my 20oz gets me through force-carbing and serving 3 kegs before needing a refill.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Yea, I'm pretty sure I have some magic hat bottles in my stash. If I remember correctly, the labels come off pretty easy too.

Maybe the 12oz labels, but the label that came on a bomber of #9 has been pissing my off in how the adhesive stays on the bottle. Even Oops! has been unsuccessful.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Bleston Humenthal posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but why not just push through the uncarbed beer through the picnic tap/bottling wand into bottles with carb tabs, and let the beer condition in the bottle, and forcecarb the balance? Why bottle after the forced carbonation?

It's a bit more precise, reduces oxygen exposure, and who knows: maybe you want to send this beer into a competition, maybe you want to give some to a friend and you don't want to give your friend a growler they would have to drink within the next week and all at once. Maybe you only have a gallon or two left and you want to get it out of the keg for your next batch. etc.

If you were kegging just to bottle that would be weird and too much effort

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

I ordered a raspberry melomel kit from more beer and everything seems to be going well so far. I think it would be awesome to make it sparkling, but I have a pair of questions.

1 I know it says champagne style bottles if i want it heavily carbonated, but if i did the standard 4oz of corn sugar would that not be adequate carbonation?

2 Would throwing campden tablets into the secondary kill the yeast? I'm a ways out still but the directions don't seem to take sparkling mead into consideration so I can't tell if the process is the same no matter what.

Definitely ordering compleat meadmaking either way.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

What I'm trying to say is, GWS could probably really use a winemaking/mead making thread, but I'm not the one to do it.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Given how the icing process amplifies flavor I'd say just pretend when you serve it to friends or family that you meant to make an Ordinary or Special Bitter all along but hey I definitely don't think it's a terrible idea.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Plastic Jesus posted:

Thinking of brewing an Imperial Blackberry Wit. I don't really like fruit beers, would someone who does be able to weigh in on the following?

code:
4 lbs. Dry Wheat extract
3 lbs. Liquid Pilsner extract
1 lb. malted wheat

1.5 oz. Halleurtaur @60
0.5 oz. Irish Moss @35
0.5 oz. Saaz @5

Wyeast 3944

4 lbs frozen blackberries added to cooled wort
It'll be on the dark side, but it's hard to get 4SRM with exctract. Plus, blackberries.

What size batch is this? AlsoI'm curious on how the malted wheat would behave as a steeping grain, which is what I'm assuming you're using it for.

But the idea itself is solid as hell. Hate to admit it but I love me some Sam Adams Blackberry witbeer.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Plastic Jesus posted:

Why wouldn't I want them to ferment with everything else?

Because if they were present during primary fermentation, the much more vigorous stage of fermentation will drive away most of the fruity goodness right out of your airlock. There will be enough yeast in suspension to ferment the blackberries in the secondary.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Maybe it's because I don't have my contacts in, but did anyone else really not pay attention to the perspective and think the dude had like a ten gallon flask?

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Just whatever you do, don't watch Alton Brown's episode about homebrewing. It made me question if he knows anything about anything cooking related and is just a scam artist.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Not to mention it's stainless steel and those prices have shot up.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Living in the Cleveland area I named my steam beer "Cleveland Steamer" for about five minutes before I realized every other homebrewer in the metropolitan area named theirs the same.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Ok straight up plug time! (sorry in advance)

To any northeast ohio homebrewing Goons: There is a homebrewing club you should join! The Little Mountain HomeBrewers Association (LMHBA) meets the third Monday of every month at Willoughby Brewing Company. Take it as a good thing or bad thing, but I was just elected Vice President of the club. Normally this means nothing, but I'm going to do every thing I can to push us to do some goofy poo poo. Order a used bourbon barrel to age something? You bet your rear end I'm already bothering the other officers to sign off on it! I also want to push for other things that single brewers can't do like have the club subsidize identical kits of grist/hops, but different yeasts to see the differences, and I'm very welcome to ideas. And if you think my ideas are a bunch of lame bullshit? It's fine, your dues still get you a 10% discount at a couple of LHBS stores and permanent happy hour prices at WBC! Win-win!

I'm so sorry for all of the exclamation points.

PM me if you want details first.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

That's the beauty of pilsner, it's not the recipe you're going to screw up.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Wooo, my first all-grain batch is looking to be a success. Chose to do a California Common since it seemed to be a style with a bit of forgiveness and nothing mushy.I collected a bit too much wort during sparging but I adjusted my boil time and seem to have hit my marks perfectly. I used a stainless steel braid, but I definitely think I Want to upgrade to a false bottom, just to give the ability to fly sparge.

But maybe I should just wait it out until I get a stainless brew kettle for the false bottom, but that could be a while. Thoughts?

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Unsure how?

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Prefect Six posted:

100g of DME per liter for starters right?

Yes. Plus some yeast nutrient if you have it, but you're right on the money.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

withak posted:

I heard oxygenating it while it is still hot is bad.

Mosher put it well. Hot-side aeration is technically bad for the beer, and it has become a boogeyman for a lot of brewers lately, but it was only even discovered it was a thing like ten years ago and beer was still pretty good in those dark ages.

Edit:Then again, you try telling an engineer about a technical problem and then try not to have them obsess about it.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Dukket posted:

I could use a little advise - So, we racked our cider to a secondary (it's been in the primary since Oct).  We had a bunch of issues with seals on our siphon and a fair amount of air bubbles ended up traveling into the cider.  Is there anything we can do to save it? Could we add some fermentables to encourage yeast growth (and therefor O2 use) or is my logic off here? I feel like a bit of an rear end asking the question but I don't want to lose it to oxidization.

When you say cider do you mean some version of apfelwein or another? I don't see why you don't already have this awesome poo poo in your stomach. But the second half of the question I've been wondering about too so there you go.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Speaking of alt, I just lost half of my alt to a loose beer hose fitting on my keg and them me not checking on it for a couple of hours.

NOTE to anyone buying keg setups from Keg Connection: Just because they say fully assembled doesn't mean fully tightened. Not saying it's their fault, just saying don't do what I did.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

So I need to know if I'm screwed here.

First off I brewed a batch of oatmeal stout with WLP023, and after a full day of active fermentation, it was only a 2 inch krausen so I figured I could switch from blowoff hose to 3-piece airlock. bad idea, as the next day it apparently gushed out of airlock to the point it SHOT off the cap and hood over three feet away. Any chance this one got infected? BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

so when i discovered this mess, I wanted to get a clear airlock on it ASAP, and my raspberry melomel had been sitting right next to the stout in a carbouy, it had been sitting in the fermenter a solid six weeks, and has shown like no activity for two weeks. I figured it was full on in the conditioning phase, so I took the airlock off that to use for the stout, and replaced it with a solid plug. Now, I'm gone for two days and come back to the plug apparently having been popped off. I have no idea when it happened in that two day period. Basically with this is there any chance there was enough outward co2 pressure to prevent infection or oxidation?

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Jacobey000 posted:

You are fine - for future reference, don't use a solid plug even when conditioning - there is almost always some left over co2 etc that will want to get out.

Believe me I won't.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

:bravo:post 3000!:bravo::synpa::taco:

So, I have a unique opportunity afforded to me by living in NE ohio: my neighbor makes his own maple syrup. We talked, and he wants to do a maple beer (and as payment let me have at it with maple syrup for my own creation). the thing is... I really don't know how to approach this. He's more the kind of guy that considers Yuengling an adventurous beer, so i know i need to keep his lighter, but I'll probably for myself do a CBS clone and something else TBD. He brought up the idea of using the semi-concetrated sap as the mash water (he can control sugar percentages pretty precisely).

Basically, what i'm trying to say is I have an awesome opportunity and no idea how to take advantage/exploit it. And also sorry for the smilies

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

What's the purpose of doing a partial mash? I thought it was so that you could add specialty grains that need conversion to fermentable sugar. It seems like the recipe above has nothing but caramel malts and 2-row in the partial mash portion so can't he just steep those to get the sugar out of the grain and then just do a full extract? Or is it just because he wants keep the color really light?

The purpose of partial mash is to... mash, but not a full mash that could be unwieldy for a lot of homebrewers. To me at least, it allows more of a full ownership of how a beer comes out. I don't think a partial mash needs any more explanation than that.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

ugh I'm beginning to think Alts are my white whale. Some goofy poo poo always happens to it. Last time my keg connections god screwy, this time apparently my temp control probe fell out of the freezer, causing the whole drat thing to freeze. Thank god I just bought a Better Bottle and used it at least. I doubt anything will be salvageable

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

Honestly, I think the returnable keg is on the way out anyway, being replaced with one-way kegs, because the current model just isn't supportable. The same thing happened with Cornies (perhaps for different reasons) - they got too expensive for the soda distributors to run, so bag-in-a-box became the standard.

What would it be then? Have you seen these one way kegs

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Jesus christ no one cares at this point: if you have an excellent counterargument, take it to PM or irc or whatever, I'm getting LF flashbacks in level of moral discourse.

On a completely different note: so as i said earlier, I froze my latest batch of Alt. The beer might be drinkable I guess (but it's probably another two days away from being thawed) is there any hope for the yeast? It's just annoying since my LHBS has to special order WLP036 because I guess it isn't a style everyone is clamoring to do??

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

]

Also, more generally, can I bottle wort after the boil for future use? I assume there's some risk of wild yeast with that, although I'd think it'd be minimized by standard refrigeration and proper sanitization. Or, to go to the land where nothing grows: are there any bad/interesting side effects of freezing wort?

I don't know what you have in mind specifically, but yes you can. If you want to use unfermented wort instead of corn sugar to bottle condition that same batch, it's called Krausening (not to be confused with Krausen) Noonan in New Brewing Lager Beer advocates this for bottle conditioning lagers.

As far as freezing wort: I'll let you know in a couple of days.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I have to assume he means like a small volume for yeast starters or something, right? I can't fathom the logistics involved in freezing 5 gallons of anything.

Here are the logistics to freezing 5 gallons of anything: Step 1: Have a chest freezer and temperature control unit Step 2: Brew a beer. Step 3 Don't notice as you're cold conditioning the beer that the probe fell out of the freezer and is constantly thinking it's 60 degrees meaning it's going full blast at 20 degrees. Step 4 hate yourself as you open the freezer. Step 5 it's been two drat days already and I'm still thawing this mess holy hell. Step 6: don't use warm water running over it to thaw it it'll just make it build up pressure super-quick under your cap. Step whatever-I'm-currently-in: become grateful that you used a better bottle with some headspace instead of glass. Step after-that-last-step learn English grammar and syntax better

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

This isn't an issue in Virginia, the homebrewing limit is 200 gallons/year/person; the precedent is that each person involved can take credit for up to 200 gallons, so two people working together can produce 400 gallons/year and so on scaling upward.

This isn't part of a catering business (and won't be done for money). However, I worked catering from about age 12 to age 24, so it's often the lens I'm seeing the world through. I have no loving idea how to cook for two. :3:

I get that it's not for profit and for personal use, but I'd bet that if you're using commercial equipment for the freezing or whatever it would still be seen as unkosher by anyone that could make your life more difficult about it.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

You'd have to be a bit more precise on starting boil volume and your boiloff rate I guess for that longer period of time, especially to time up right your first hop addition. It'll darken the beer a bit, and reduce DMS, but there wouldn't be anything bad that would happen as long as you adjust your hop schedule appropriately. Mosher advocates a longer boil to approximate decoctions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I have a question about the recipes I'm seeing here. For the hops, are the amounts in the recipe for pellets, plugs, or leaf? Is there a difference in "strength" between 1 oz. of each?

The CORRECT answer is due to the nature of concetrating the hops into pellet form, they will contribute about 10% more bitterness than leaf hops with the same AA in the same boil times (at least according to when i fiddle with my recipes in BeerSmith). I wouldn't call that negligible, at least if you want to be able to reproduce results. For myself in the once in a blue moon I post a recipe I would say assume I'm talking pellets.