Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Wow this thread (and its predecessors) have an awesome amount of information!

Me and two of my friends just bought starter kits on a Groupon, and we're all pretty excited to do our first brew (recipe kit that came with starter kit) this weekend.

We've agreed to compete on our second batch though, that we'll be assembling the ingredients for ourselves.

I'd like to try to do a GumballHead (Three Floyds Brewing american wheat) clone, but change it up a little and maybe add some pumpkin flavor to it. What's the best way to pumpkin it up a little? Is there any good way to flavor it during bottling, so I can maybe do have the batch plain, and half pumpkin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

Pumpkin itself doesn't really have a very distinct flavor, and I assume you're working from extract, so I suggest you leave actual pumpkin out of the beer for now. What you can do, though, is make a spice tincture by putting pumpkin pie type spices in some decent vodka for a few weeks, then add the tincture at bottling time to some or all of the batch.

I never thought of doing a vodka 'tincture' like that - that's a really cool idea.
Anyone here done something similar before? I'm curious about how strong I should try to make it and how much of it I should add when bottling?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I'm getting ready to start gathering ingredients for my 3rd brew; I'm just starting to drink my first (Irish Red kit that came with my starter kit from Midwest Brewing), getting ready to bottle my second brew this weekend (Amarillo-hopped wheat, loosely based off of 3 Floyd's Gumball Head, half the batch is going to get a pumpkin tincture addition at bottling), and I'm thinking of trying out a stout for my next batch.

So does anyone have a good (extract-based - don't have the equipment for all-grain yet) stout recipe I can get my feet wet with?

Also, has anyone tried making a tincture by doing a pressure infusion with a cream whipper yet? I'm going to start playing around with it myself soon, and just wanted to see if anyone has any tips or tricks.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

tesilential posted:

IMO buckets > carboys (glass or plastic).

Top cropping is ridiculously easy in buckets as is cleaning. My glass carboy is only getting used for secondaries from now on. Getting all the Krausen scum out has proven to be difficult. Also the stopper and airlock isn't as secure as the bucket lid. When the stopper is wet with star San it is slippery and has popped out and fallen on the floor.

Have you tried using oxyclean ("free" - the non fragrance stuff) and hot water, just filling up the loosely rinsed carboy and letting it sit a few hours/overnight? I did that with my carboy that was caked like crazy with krausen and tons of hop residue, and the oxyclean ate that stuff up and made the inside of my carboy look like new with little to no scrubbing or effort.

I also really enjoyed watching the fermentation going on in the carboy - fermenting in the bucket makes me paranoid that I can't see what is/isn't going on.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Okay, here's the SA Homebrewer Secret Santa reg form. Registration is open until 11/30/11 and I will send assignments no later than 12/3/11.

Please be aware of restrictions and packing requirements for shipping beer. Do your homework!

Signup Form

We should make a sticky or something.

Just signed up!

Out of curiosity, what's the customary amount of beer to send out for these things? A couple bottles?

And for the restrictions/packing requirements, it's basically just to pack it really well and don't send via USPS, right?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Good deal on one of those FoodSaver vacuum sealers if anyone's interested:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3564994

This is what you guys use for your bulk hops, yeah?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

My secret santa 6-pack is officially on it's way to one of you goons. I'm excited to see(taste) what I get!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Anyone every play around with adding a green tea flavor to a beer? I'd like to play around with doing a honey steam beer for my next batch and infusing it with some green tea flavor somehow. My initial thought is to make a green tea tincture to add at bottling, maybe by pressure infusing some vodka with green tea using my cream whipper. Thoughts?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Docjowles posted:

My Goonbrew Secret Santa package came too! :woop: Thanks, poster Johnnysmitch! Nothing broke or even got scratched. I got 2 each of an amarillo-hopped wheat, Irish Red and Black Cherry Stout. I haven't had time to crack any yet, but I had to post photos of his labels because they are baller as hell. Look at this right here.

I'm glad my beers got to you unscathed! It was my first time shipping beer, so I was totally paranoid that you'd get a dripping box full of broken glass.
Lemme know what you think when you get around to trying them - the Shawk and Awe was pretty well liked by a lot of my friends, and the None More Black stout has been getting some praise from those who I've shared it with lately too.

Happy Goonsmas.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

^
We've got laser printers at work, so I just printed them on that, and used spray mount to stick 'em on the bottles.
I think I had almost as much fun drawing + designing the labels as I did brewing the beers. Drinking the beers is still the most fun though.

EDIT: Actually, I'll share the labels I've done so far:

The "Pumpkinhead" label was both the longest to draw/design and my favorite so far.

JohnnySmitch fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 19, 2011

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

mewse posted:

so they're just office/laser printer paper with spray-on adhesive?

Yepper. It seems to hold up great unless you throw them in a cooler with ice, in which case the label gets soaked and ruined.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Got my Secret Santa Package! Ominous!

Got two big bottles of mead and some mulling spices! Along with some sweet biohazard labels! I can't wait to try some - I'm gonna hold off until a couple of my homebrewing friends from work are available to share.

Thanks again!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Where'd you get the sweet bottle cases from?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I'm trying to build myself a stir plate with some parts I have laying around. I'm pretty retarded with electronics though, so it's not working right. I can get the fan spinning fine, with the speed controlled by the potentiometer, but my switch is getting super hot pretty quickly, and the light in the switch seems to also be controlled by the pot (turns dim/off when I ramp down the fan speed). What am I doing wrong?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Zakath posted:

Disconnect ground from the pot.

Thanks - that fixed it! Now I just need to monkey around with the magnet positions to get it to not kick the stir bar, and maybe add a resistor to get the fan speed down more.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

^ I'd like to know this one too.

So I've got a bunch of ingredients that I've put together without a real recipe in mind, and I'm not sure what to brew specifically yet... Anyone have any ideas for some combo of these ingredients?:

3lbs extra light DME
3lbs wheat DME
1lb clover honey
2oz Zythos blend pellet hops
2oz Amarillo pellet hops
1oz Citra pellet hops
1oz Warrior pellet hops
1oz Sirachi pellet hops
White Labs WLP060 American Ale Blend liquid yeast

I guess I'm looking at some kind of American pale or IPA... not really sure.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

icehewk posted:

I bought a packet of liquid yeast, Wyeast brand. Do I want to use the entire thing for 5 gallons? Seems like quite a bit of yeast.

You actually probably want to make a starter with it to make more before pitching - liquid yeast has a way lower cell count than the dry yeast packets.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Just brewed some kind of American Pale Ale today with ingredients I've been accumulating. Here's what my recipe ended up:

3 lbs Extra Light DME @60 minutes
1/2oz Warrior pellet hops @60 minutes
2 lbs Wheat DME @30minutes
1 lb honey @30 minutes
1oz Zythos pellet hops @10 minutes
1oz Citra pellet hops @5 minutes

The gravity sample tastes pretty good - I'm excited to see what it's like in a few weeks!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I don't have the room or budget to keg, so I just bottle right now. We have a kegerator at work though, and I would love to brew up a batch to throw in there. Would it be feasible to lug an empty home, clean/sanitize it, throw a batch straight in there from my fermentor, and force carb it back at the office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Would anyone here be interested in buying my Catalyst conical fermentor? I’ve used it a couple of times and it works great, but I’m downsizing my stuff and just don’t have the spare room to justify keeping it when buckets take up so much less space.