Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Glottis posted:

I rinse until it looks clean, then run some sanitizer through it. On occasion I have done nothing and just put fresh beer in there without issues.

Yeah I would have no problem racking an IPA into a freshly kicked APA or blonde ale keg. I've done it with porters after an ESB as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LaserWash posted:

This doesn't require a response, but if you have something that keeps you grounded and works for you without getting too crazy about the wacky experimenting everywhere that you want to do all the time :homebrew: then I'd be interested to hear how you decide to keep yourself from going over the deep end.

I've been there brother, lol. For the IPA, brew a clone of Pliny the Elder, but cut the bittering hops by 60% so you end up around 50 IBUs.

Also try a clone of London Porter by Fullers. Simple 4 malt grain bill and tastes better than ANY other porter on earth. Guaranteed. This is the beer you can drink when you have heartburn.

Maybe do a brown ale like CCB's Maduro.

Those are three super drinkable beers that I'm planning to keep on tap year round.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

An excellent suggestion. Here's the recipe from BYO:

Stellar. OP, I prefer EKG over Fuggles, but both make a phenomal example of a porter. Best in class IMO.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I've been looking for a porter recipe to use for an event coming up next month. Does this one have a dominant chocolate flavor? I'm looking for something with less chocolate and more coffee, maybe even to the point of adding some cold brewed coffee.

It's extremely well balanced and has crazy nice mouthfeel. Ironically if you want a more roasty flavor, use a little more chocolate malt and a little less brown malt. I live 5 minutes from Cigar City where they experiment with all sorts of porters and haven't found one that bests Fuller's LP.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

more falafel please posted:

I wouldn't be worried about scratches in a mash tun. You're boiling anything that comes out of it for an hour+ within minutes of it coming out. The grain going into the mash tun is also full of bugs.

Yeah.

You can also full it with near boiling water to sterilize it. This also works for buckets, even contaminated ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nerd Grenade posted:

But there's no way they can still be good right?

I have several pounds of hops I bought during the simcoe and Amarillo shortage a couple years ago in vacuum sealed bags in my freezer. They are still great.