Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I made some seltzer just to try it. Just boiled some distilled water for 10 min and added sugar and yeast nutrient, then chilled it and mixed in raspberry extract and some kviek yeast. It was fine, I don't really get the point of hard seltzer but I had 7 or 8 people try it and they all liked it.

My only caveat would be any off flavors will be very apparent so use yeast nutrient, a lot of healthy yeast and keep it at an appropriate temperature. I've seen some recommendations to do staggered yeast nutrient additions. I didn't do that I just did double my normal nutrient addition and oxygenated longer than usual. No idea about bottling it since I keg, I'd probably add fresh yeast at bottling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Copper reacts with sulphur and makes the smell dissipate so you can get a piece of copper pipe and stir the cider with it for a few minutes.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

boba fetacheese posted:

Anyone have experience harvesting yeast from conical fermenters?

I treated myself to a SS Brewtech this summer with the intention of harvesting; now that its fall and I've switched from kveik, I'm wrapping up a mild fermented with 1099 Whitbread. I did a trub dump on day 2, and today (day 12) I went to harvest. It started off with more gnarly looking trub, then transitioned to beer without seeing a nice creamy plug like I've seen in videos (eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCIjR1dipWc), and what came out was really low in volume compared to what I know is at the bottom of the fermenter after a brew. And 1099 should be a good flocculator!

I've never done it on a homebrew scale, but have on a brewery scale. In the video you posted he was pulling the yeast after having transferred the beer out, is that what you are doing as well? You want to make sure your head pressure is really low so that you don't shoot a channel straight through your yeast cake, especially if you're harvesting with beer still in the fermentor. Also make sure to open the valve really slowly for similar reasons.

Really flocculant yeasts can be a double edged sword cause they stick to the walls of the tank more than less flocculant strains, so all that yeast might still be in your fermentor. If thats the case try to harvest your yeast sooner, on day 4 or 5.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Very unlikely, there's not really anywhere for the sulphur to off-gas to when it's under pressure. Get a small piece of copper and put it on some fishing line and put that in the bottom of your glass when you pour. By the end of the pour the sulphur should be gone. In the future if you still have sulphur when you go to keg put a piece of copper in-line for the transfer.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

The beer lines are looking a little discolored. Replace or just soak them, rinse, and starsan?

If they're stained just get new ones. I replace my lines once a year no matter what, even with a four tap kegerator it's cheap and easy enough to do.

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure what goes wrong with my extract kit beers but all my attempts turned out more of an Belgian Abbey style beer than the style it said on the kit. I think it was 2 blondes, 1 amber and 1 special IPA, but all of them were really dark and tasted like doubles or triples. Not sure if this is an extract kit thing or if I'm doing something wrong (not unlikely although I do try to follow the instructions to a tee). An extract kit porter did come out absolutely amazing.

I'm really not a fan of that style and can't say I looked forward to drinking 4 gallons of it. Luckily my dad is a big fan of abbey beers so I just dumped 3 gallons on him. Would've probably be the first homebrew I'd have flushed otherwise. Moving on to all grain (kit) next. Need to plan my next brew day quickly so I can have a nice refreshing saison when spring comes around.

Usually when people complain about their beers tasting Belgian no matter the style it has to do with poor handling of yeast, generally cell count and temperature control.

If you're using liquid yeast making a starter can help if you happen to be getting old yeast or are making beers above 1.044. Make sure you pitch your yeast at the temperature you want to ferment at, not pitching warm and letting it cool to fermentation temps.

The other big thing is temperature control, you need to make sure your beer is fermenting within the temperature tolerance of your yeast strain. A lot of people see a yeast likes a range of 68-72*F and throw it in a 70-72* room and call it a day, but the activity of fermentation can heat your beer 2-6*F above ambient. Get one of those stick on thermometers for your bucket or carboy and keep an eye on it. If you have trouble keeping your beer below 70* most american and english ale strains will throw a lot of esters and phenols you aren't looking for. If thats the case you can either build some kind of temperature controlled fermentation chamber or start using yeasts that have a higher temperature range. Theres a lot of interesting kviek yeasts out now that will ferment clean even very warm and can put out good american style beers at very high temperatures.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Get the biggest CO2 tank you can, the cost of a refill is almost entirely labor. I think my 20# tank costs $36 for a refill while a 5# tank was $30.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

That is going to taste like rear end at least throw yeast into some apple juice or something with flavor.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

How do you add the strawberry flavor? Could you have strawberry seeds getting clogged in parts of the keg or line and causing nucleation points?

If you have problems in the future like that try swapping the beer lines between the two kegs. If it follows the line you know it's something with that line or faucet. If it doesn't follow the line you know it's something with the beer or keg.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Anybody know of a good recipe app for Android? All I need is to be able to enter my malt and hops and it give me IBU, SRM, etc. I don't care about actually storing recipes, I use a physical notebook for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I really need the motivation to clean all of my brewing poo poo real good.. I've had 2 batches with bandaid taste.. so I need to clean my kettle, my stainless brew bucket.. and probably toss my bottling bucket and hoses.

I had a friend with a persistent band aid flavor he couldn't figure out for a long time and it turned out he was using an in line water filter and hadn't changed it in a long time. Apparently when they are end of life they can start releasing what they've absorbed out into water running through them.

robotsinmyhead posted:

This is DBJ (Dumb Bitch Juice)

Oh look my least favorite homebrew thing. " I call this one my stupid loving whore blond ale get it lol"