Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
First brew post infection disaster. Dunkelweizen. Did a double decoction. Next time I do it I'm definitely going to make each decoction larger. Way off temps. Had to remove some liquid from the tun and heat/reinfuse. Other than that it seems to have gone well. Got around 76% efficiency (I say about because I don't have an accurate way of measuring volume in the kettle yet). Obvious activity in the fermenter a few hours after pitching. A quick whiff of the gases coming out of the blowoff smells right (no vinegar or other funkiness, just malty wheat).

2 lbs 7.9 oz Wheat Malt, Dark
1 lbs 11.7 oz Pale Malt
8.4 oz Caramel Wheat Malt
2.1 oz Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann)
4.0 oz Rice Hulls
0.327 oz Hallertau [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 14.0 IBUs

Wyeast 3068 of course.

2.5 gallon batch. 65% wheat. No I'm not that anal about the grain weights, that's just what BeerSmith spit out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
You guys are always talking about spray bottles for star san, but how does that work with a carboy? You can't exactly put a spray bottle inside of the carboy to reach all the surfaces...

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

tesilential posted:

I don't use my carboys anymore, they suck.

Better bottle, and I've already had an infection using that. I'm not touching plastic buckets. No way.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
I would have all stainless steel equipment if I could afford it. Everything was cleaned and sanitized. Pretty sure my problem was a scratch in a... plastic hose. I had to dump 10 gallons. The risk may be minimal, but the less chance of scratched equipment loving me over, the better. Plus I don't have room in my lager fridge for a typical fermenting bucket. 2.5 gallon batches. My racking cane is stainless now. Transfer hoses are silicone. I can heat sterilize them. Overkill? Of course. Peace of mind? Definitely.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Fill up the tube with starsan, cap it with your thumb, put the cane into the carboy, remove thumb with the end over a spare bowl until it's all beer flowing out, the put the tip into the bottom of the bottling bucket.

I have found that you have to fill the racking cane up as well, but this definitely works...

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Hefeweizen is stupid easy.

Extract (60 minute boil):
6lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat DME (65% wheat, others are lower)
14 IBUS of Hallertauer or Tettnang Hops (amount varies by AA) for 60 minutes
Wyeast 3068
Throw in some Malto-Dextrine if you want extra foam (3-4oz)

All-Grain (90 minute boil):
6.5lbs Wheat Malt
3.5lbs Pilsner
Yeast and hops the same

The ferment is fast and furious. Use a blowoff tube unless you have a ton of headspace. Try to keep around 68. Lower for more clove, higher for more banana.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

j3rkstore posted:

I would advise you not skip the protein rest, or the beta-glucanase rest. You might also want to add rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge. I personally haven't had a stuck sparge when using up to 7lbs of wheat in a Hef, but the sperglords at the LHBS try to mock me every time.

Here's what I got from il serpente:

:words:

Good luck, I'll be using this decoction schedule this weekend :cheers:

Whoa. Thanks for posting this. BeerSmith profile created. I couldn't find this post when it was mentioned earlier. I've watched some videos on decoction mashing and none of them mentioned topping off the water during the boil. Probably why my temps were low the two times I've tried it. I'm still waiting for the results of one attempt (Marzen). The other was massively infected. I can confirm your entire day will be shot. 7 hours is optimistic.

beetlo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 3, 2012

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
So yeah this decoction mashing... Saving it for REALLY special beers on rare occasions. 8 and a half hour brew day. gently caress that noise. Infusion mash FTW.

The beer in question is a Weizenbock modeled after Vitus. Kinda big. Kinda special I guess...

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

j3rkstore posted:

Just wait until till you taste it to make that call :swoon: I don't use it every brewday, maybe once every month or two.

Here's the problem. I REALLY like wheat beers. If this turns out :swoon: good, I'll be doing crazy long brew days very often. Oh and my other big like? Lagers. Yeah... German ancestry I guess. Keep your hop bombs away from me! My current lineup is this:

In bottles: Dunkelweizen and Hefeweizen
Secondary: Marzen
Primary: Weizenbock and Apple Cider (fermenting with 3068 aka best yeast ever)

On deck: Fruit beer. Probably blackberry wheat. I was going to do blueberry, but what I've read indicates real blueberry flavor mostly ferments out...

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Just pulled a hydrometer sample of my Marzen (double decoction even). 1.013 final gravity from 1.056 OG. Perfect. 5.7% ABV. Also... it already tastes pretty good. One month left of secondary/lagering before bottling!

Clearing quite nicely.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

Hypnolobster posted:

If you're going to bail on that company and just try for a return and not a replacement, these guys make badass chillers.
http://www.nybrewsupply.com/wort-chillers.html

The 50' stainless chiller is absolutely awesome.

I have the 25' stainless and it is indeed very nice.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

Zakath posted:

I tapped my Weizenbock yesterday night, and unforunately it seems I have a little bit of off-flavor in it. I'm having a little bit of a problem nailing down what the cause might be. I'm thinking (hoping) that it's Acetaldehyde, and the beer just needs to condition longer. It's not quite 3 weeks old at this point, so maybe I got to hasty.

Here's the recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1092699/weizenbock-recipes/weizenbock

I'm hit my target mash temp of 150 pretty much right on, and didn't oversparge or use water that was too hot. I didn't check the PH of the mash, though. This was also the first time I did a full boil. I stir the wort pretty vigorously while cooling it with an immersion chiller, cooling it outside.

I've had this flavor in some of my other beers, but I'm having a hard time trying to describe it. Where did I go wrong?

Weihenstephaner says this about Vitus (their Weizenbock): "long and cold storage in our monastery cellars makes this single-bock a really special beer..."

I have no idea how long or how cold, but I plan on putting mine in secondary for a month at around 50. (I'm on day 5 of primary now, so this is gonna be a while). I plan on tasting a hydrometer sample before secondary to see if there is a noticeable difference. Brewing science! :drugnerd:

My recipe (2.5 gallon):
3 lbs 6.0 oz Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann)
1 lbs 3.0 oz Munich II (Weyermann)
10.0 oz Vienna Malt (Weyermann)
7.6 oz Table Sugar (Vitus has ridiculous attenuation.)
.5 oz Hallertau (17 IBU)
Wyeast 3068

OG: 1.068 FG: 1.009 (See what I mean about the attenuation?)
7.7% ABV
Vitus is much lighter than a typical Weizenbock (outside of the style range).

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Weizenbock is an ale, but the point stands about high gravity.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, I had the beer bottled, and it looks like there is some more settling that is going as I bottled asap. Is this okay? It's really not that much, is it going to affect it?

That's probably just yeast. It's fine.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

RiggenBlaque posted:

Here's a neat little paper on the oxygen permeability of different airlocks from the Better Bottle people, if anyone is interested:

http://t.co/qC9ikmb2

What I gather from the paper is "Buy our ridiculously overpriced piece of plastic right now." Seriously... why the hell does their airlock cost $15 or more?

That being said... I want one. :)

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

Super Rad posted:

Was it worth the effort? Definitely - and I'm not even much of a fan of weissens! I just wish it were a more authentically handled style here in the states - I don't think I've had the chance to compare this to an authentic german example.

Hefeweizen supremacy! No doubt they don't handle it correctly here. Way too hoppy and too much emphasis on citrus flavors. There shouldn't be any hop flavor or aroma. Go get a Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. Doesn't get any more authentic than that.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Ok it's getting close to bottling time for my very first lager, so I have a few important questions.

1) What temperature should I base the priming sugar on? This stuff has seen a wide range. 60 at pitching, 50 for primary (3 weeks), 60 again for a diacetyl rest (2 days), 40 for secondary (3 weeks), and low 30s for lagering (3 weeks). I've read "temperature at bottling time". I would think temperature during primary makes the most sense myself. After all, that's when the vast majority of the CO2 is being produced...

2) After sitting that long, will it need extra yeast and/or time to carb? If extra yeast is needed, how much and how should I add it? I was thinking dry yeast pitched into the priming sugar water so it can mix in.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

Angry Grimace posted:

I suppose I'm new enough to homebrew that I'm not jaded yet by the amount of time it takes to go from grain to fermenter yet, though.

My last brew took 5 hours from setup to in fermenter. Strike and two infusions. Batch sparge with two equal batches.

The one before was TEN hours. Strike, one infusion, and two decoctions. Batch sparge with two equal batches.

So yeah... no "oh hey I want to brew and it's 11pm" for me. :)

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Party Pig came today! 10 days until bottling/pigging day for Oktoberfest! This should make things much easier. Since I do 2.5 gallon batches, almost the whole thing will go in the pig. I figure a sixer of bottles (to give people as samples) and the rest in the pig. Good stopgap until I can actually afford a proper kegging setup.

Also, to solve my priming sugar temperature dilemma I'm just going to let the beer come up to 60 a couple days before bottling and use that temperature. And sprinkle in a small amount of US-05 to ensure carbonation. Carbing at room temp.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
The thing that keeps me going back to Brewmaster's Warehouse is that they let you order grains in ounces. Not just down to 6 ounce increments. Yes they are slow to process, but I just plan ahead and take that into account.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Trying my Oktoberfest for the first time today. Not what I was hoping for, but not bad for my first lager. Color and clarity is spot on. No weird off flavors. It just isn't quite Ayinger good. Ingredients are on the way for a slightly different recipe. More emphasis on Vienna malt (80% of the grain bill) and Munich Lager yeast instead of Oktoberfest blend. Still gonna do a double decoction, cause I'm crazy like that.

2.5 gallon (OG: 1.056 FG: 1.014 ABV: 5.6%)

4 lbs Vienna Malt
8.0 oz Munich II
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
4.0 oz Caramunich I
0.5 oz Hallertau [5.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
.25 oz Hallertau [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.0 pkg Munich Lager

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Maple Syrup is already in Beersmith 2 under grains (They need a better name for this category. Fermentables perhaps?). 1.030 SG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Firestone Walker Union Jack and regular ole Stone IPA are my gotos. West coast style baby!