Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm excited, sunday was my first brew day and this morning it started bubbling happily away. One thing i'm still unclear on, how do I tell when it's time to bottle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bottled my first brew last night, i'm excited. Seeing all those bottles lined up nicely is very exciting.

My take away lesson from bottling is "don't drop your hydrometer on the tile/hardwood, because you will be left hearing the skittering noises of tiny ball bearings probably forever"

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm still new to this homebrew thing, trying to get a handle on proper sparging techniques. It seems as though we're losing a lot of our expected yield somewhere. From what we did get though my chili pepper/basil black IPA turned out delicious.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
How does foam work? We've brewed and bottled about six beers now, and for some reason my Black IPA in capped bottles foams up like a grade school volcano when I open them. What makes it so different from the other stuff we made, is this a semi-random thing depending on the brew? We added the same amount of sugar to that one as the others we bottled, and they don't do it.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want to start growing hops this spring, since January is now over it's starting to warm up in California. When do rhyzomes and/or young plants start showing up in stock? Is there a good place to purchase from?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
My daily check of my little rooftop hopyard was exciting this morning - all four of my rhizomes are pushing shoots out of the ground! :toot:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Our stoppered bottles don't seem to be holding carbonation, is there a trick to these things?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Are you talking about swing tops? What exactly is going on?

Yeah, swing tops. We put about half our last batch in them, and the ones we capped normally are carbonated nicely, whereas the swing tops are flat as hell. Any ideas?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well, one of the hop plants has done well, but the other three all seem to have given up on life - dunno if I didn't water them enough or what, but they haven't budged in like a month. Is it too late in the season to get more rhizomes and replant?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
So uh... I've only ever brewed with pelletized hops, what's the conversion for moving to whole cone? My cascade is looking/smelling might tasty these days.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Products Ordered:
------------------------------------------------------
Item Description: Brew Bucket 7 gal Stainless Fermenter

:homebrew:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Conical?

yeah, one of these things.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Waaaaaaant.

Does it have a dump valve for the yeast?

I believe the full on product page will probably answer your questions: http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/fermenters/products/brewbucket

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

ChiTownEddie posted:

Super jealous. I will never have such things. Yay for city condo living!

they're stackable during fermentation, so technically they save space!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I am super jealous of that thing. It beats the hell out of my closet full of random carboys.

I justified it by saying "now I can put some of my glass ones on craigslist". This may or may not happen.

Anyone in the SF bay area need 7 gal glass carboys? :v:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
holy crap dude, that's amazing. You're an inspiration to us all.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't have a yeast starter because I want to collect enough vials to get a white labs sweatshirt

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

Is this the new camel cash?

Only if you can plant cigarettes to grow more

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here have a large investment in stainless brewing hardware? I've been brewing with my dad and some friends for a few years now, and we have some commercial kitchen space and we could conceivably license to start making money off making beer. Has anyone taken the plunge on something like a half bbl system? Recommendations? Lessons learned? I'm apprehensive but curious.

We were looking at something of this sort: http://spikebrewing.com/collections/spike-systems

oh, and of course: :homebrew:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jo3sh posted:

You'd want to talk to a local lawyer, but making beer for profit is subject to all kinds of licensure. The BATFE will not be amused if you just start making beer for sale, even in a proper commercial kitchen. And if you want to make money at it, I don't think I'd start any smaller than ten or fifteen barrels - larger being better.

Yeah, we're well aware of the legal work we'll have to do in order to square things up with the BATFE and the city. Thanks for the word on scale, we've been debating how big we would go to start.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

I have heard that the general rule of thumb is to not start with anything less than a 3 barrel system.

Dang, that'd be a lot of beer! I'm not sure if we'd even have room for that many fermenters. This wouldn't be a 'lets all quit our jobs and open a brewery' situation (maybe some day), we're going into this more with the attitude of 'if we're going to spend that much on a turn-key system, we want to make some money back on it". Dunno if that's even feasible, but a guy can dream.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
We're scaling up to brewing 10gal batches this weekend after spending an ungodly amount of money on equipment. Any lessons learned or tips/differences from 5gal?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Made a basic rear end double IPA that tastes real dang good. Did just bittering hops and tossed all the flavor hops in at flame out, then dry hopped with nectaron and a couple others. Makes for some really good flavor and aroma.

Also my dad and I bought the local home brew store, in sure diving into retail in the age of amazon won't bite us. :shepface:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Once the nearest store disappeared on short notice I sort of lost my desire to brew for a bit. So I'm not sure it's the best investment in the world, but there will certainly be some people who appreciate that you're still there.

We're the only store in a large metro area, I think there's a real chance we can make it work. Can't be worse than getting laid off by tech companies every six months.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

I’m pulling for you. The nearest stores to me in a large city are now 25-30 min away. I think if you can make it a place for people to come for small events you can get people in the door and happy to come around more often. Especially if you can host small shares in the space. Nothing homebrewers enjoy more than sharing their beer with others.

The permits for serving or having open beer at the business are kinda weird, but yeah, stuff like that is the goal. We're also hoping to move it to a much larger facility, that has enough room to start a taproom as well. Could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
re: backsweetening fruit wine

killing the yeast with sulfite then using wine conditioner is a common way, but if you're not interested in chemical additions then yeah, the pasteurization stuff mentioned is your best shot but by god be careful and go slow so the bottles don't crack

I did have a guy come into the shop saying he was going to try sweetening a mead with stevia and just ignore the yeast, but I haven't heard back from him how well it worked :shrug: