Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

JohnnySmitch posted:

I'm glad my beers got to you unscathed! It was my first time shipping beer, so I was totally paranoid that you'd get a dripping box full of broken glass.
Lemme know what you think when you get around to trying them - the Shawk and Awe was pretty well liked by a lot of my friends, and the None More Black stout has been getting some praise from those who I've shared it with lately too.

Happy Goonsmas.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make those labels? Were they expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

JohnnySmitch posted:

We've got laser printers at work, so I just printed them on that, and used spray mount to stick 'em on the bottles.

so they're just office/laser printer paper with spray-on adhesive?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Due to life and poo poo the 15 lbs of unpasteurized honey that I bought last year has been sitting around at room temperature for the last year. Is it still good to use?

i asked my honey expert friend about this:

quote:

Depends where he got it. If it has a moisture level of above 17.5% then it's possible it may have started to ferment but that's a bit of a stretch. If it's under 17.5% then it will be good for the next 5000 years or so. It may have hardened or crystallized but will return to its liquid state when reheated. If he wants, he can pasteurize it himself by heating it to 160F, that should kill any yeast cells.

quote:

Any beekeeper will keep their honey below 17.5% though. It's really unlikely that his honey will have fermented.

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 27, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

I know you aren't supposed to be using the dishwasher to clean your bottles

sez who? the steam sanitizes the bottles better than dry heat.

mewse
May 2, 2006

probably want to run them again without soap

how to brew posted:

Dishwashers can be used to sanitize, as opposed to sterilize, most of your brewing equipment, you just need to be careful that you don't warp any plastic items. The steam from the drying cycle will effectively sanitize all surfaces. Bottles and other equipment with narrow openings should be pre-cleaned. Run the equipment through the full wash cycle without using any detergent or rinse agent. Dishwasher Rinse Agents will destroy the head retention on your glassware. If you pour a beer with carbonation and no head, this might be the cause.

mewse
May 2, 2006

he could just brew a soapeweizen :shobon:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Those are the standard 24-bottle cases here in Finland

:aaa: what size bottles are they? 341ml or 500?

mewse
May 2, 2006

e: also whats so amazing about all of this? I honestly don't get it.

here in canada we are standardized on 341ml twist-off bottles and they come in cardboard cases.

it's worse in the united states where bottles aren't really standardized and afaik their average twist-off bottle isn't reusable because of thin glass.

having cheap reusable plastic crates for bottles would be great, and 330ml non-threaded bottles would also be great for homebrewing, because what i'm using right now is threaded bottles with cardboard boxes that are slowly falling apart.

mewse
May 2, 2006

you get 10 cents for every 330ml bottle

same value with canadian system

mewse
May 2, 2006

zedprime posted:

A crimped cap will be entirely load bearing only on that whispy thin bottom coil of the thread as opposed to a crimped cap on the entire beefy lip or a commercial screw cap spreading the load through the whole thread.

I cap canadian twist-offs, I don't understand what you're describing. Do American twist-offs flare towards the bottom or something? Why does the cap only touch the bottom coil of the threading?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks for drawing the pics, I see what you mean now.

In the end I'm fairly sure the distinction is moot because it's the liner on the underside of the cap that forms a seal with the bottle, the crimping is to secure the cap against the bottle.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Toebone posted:

Brewing Classic Styles?

I haven't read Designing Great Beers but I really like my copy of Brewing Classic Styles. The recipes are extract by default and he's got a blurb with each of them sort of explaining the history and characteristics of the style. It's very, very informative for a neophyte like myself.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ratbones posted:

is this opaque-ness normal?

yes. yeast in suspension is cloudy. that, combined with the dark colour, has made your beer opaque.

bottle conditioning, and then chilling the beer, causes the yeast to settle in the bottom of the bottle and can give a pretty transparent liquid, but when it's in the fermenter, no way.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ratbones posted:

Wow, you guys are fast. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. How do you guys go about racking the beer without disturbing the cake if you can't see it? I ended up discarding probably an inch worth of beer above the cake because I couldn't really tell where the lees were. I suppose I'd rather lose some beer than suck up a ton of swamp fuzz, but it was a bit distressing to see otherwise good beer go to waste.

basically every racking cane has a tip on it so that it's not sucking liquid from the surface on the bottom of the chamber.

discarding a bunch of beer because you got cloudy bits is dumb, it's just yeast, it's not gonna hurt anything and it will settle out later. the majority of the cake stays on the bottom even if you tip the bucket to suck up absolutely everything, it's just that the last stuff you suck out looks pretty gross.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i strain the wort when i pour into the primary, that's normal, you're removing the hops and the hot break and cold break.

leaving an inch of beer in your fermenter because the siphon is sucking some yeast isn't a good thing tho

why were you using a funnel when you transferred to the bottling bucket?

mewse
May 2, 2006

chiz posted:

Is there a way or method to ghetto keg? What if I don't want to bottle my beers and just keep them in a carboy or gatorade cooler with a spigot on it after it's carbonated?

carboys or gatorade coolers can't hold pressure.. sooooo...

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jo3sh posted:

Then I told him, that although the startup costs and ingredient costs make it look really attractive, he's not actually going to save any money in the long run.

i've stayed pretty modest and have made 6 extract batches. doing some conservative number crunching including starter kit and the equipment i've bought, i'm looking at like $335 vs $600 if i bought the beer at retail prices

mewse
May 2, 2006

morebeer has 32oz of starsan on sale for like $10 today but shipping it up to canada will add $35 in shipping charges

:negative:

mewse
May 2, 2006

somebody plz smuggle me some starsan the next time they come to canada. i'm desperate

mewse
May 2, 2006

yeah we're dumb, and stupid

mewse
May 2, 2006

wattershed posted:

Assume I have basically nothing already as far as equipment goes...does that seem like a good price for what it comes with?

yes

mewse
May 2, 2006

i use a pretty small sink to chill my brewpot.

if i had a backyard i could throw it in a snow bank, but because heat rises, the bottom liquid would get cold while the rest of the vessel was still steaming hot.

i just use cold water + ice in my small sink and take advantage of the fact that ice floats. i have to change the water and add more ice a few times.

mewse
May 2, 2006

chiz posted:

how long does it take to cool down your batch using the sink and water and ice method?

half hour

mewse
May 2, 2006

i think froot loops is puffed rice and sugar so good loving luck getting that flavour across in any sort of fermented beverage

mewse
May 2, 2006

my LHBS just put together a wheat beer kit. some sort of wheat LME with hershbrucker and tettnang hops. looking forward to seeing how it turns out..

mewse
May 2, 2006

i think the basic recipe for a minimash would be your extract, some base malt + roasted barley + flaked barley, and then goldings as a bittering hop.

i tried to make a recipe when i didn't know how to do a minimash and i subbed 120L crystal malt for the flaked barley, it didn't turn out very well. it didn't have any body and the roasted barley flavour was overpowering.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

The worst part of homebrewing so far: fielding dumb questions from your friends, relatives and coworkers who don't actually care, but persist in asking how you make beer.

The problem isn't the actual act of explaining how to make beer, but rather that people always ask for detail despite the fact that they will immediately tune you out if you provide the level of detail they ask for.

Yeah I've caught myself explaining homebrewing a couple times where I realize the person I'm talking to has glazed over their eyes and can't absorb anymore. It took you and me a while to learn how it works, we can't expect someone else to really understand after a 5 minute talk

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm just asking people to be non-judgmental on the Internet. I don't see why that will never happen, ever

mewse
May 2, 2006

why do you want to boil a bunch of batches of wort on one day and then stagger your bottling days? they're roughly the same amounts of effort

mewse
May 2, 2006

Spergio Leone posted:

I gave the second beer I brewed, a Coopers stout, a bit of a taste last night after the Tripel bottling ordeal.

drat it, I really shouldn't trust these kit instructions. I brewed it with 1kg of brewing sugar and while taste wise it had a bit of the roast 'n hoppy character I expected, it was thin as hell. Not that I was expecting fridge temp porridge, but I guess I now know exactly what homebrew enthusiasts mean when they say "mouthfeel". It was a bit like... lager in consistency I guess. Thin. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I realize having had it condition (in relatively cool temperatures) for only two weeks is very very little but I had to give it a shot. I'll be patient and give it a couple more weeks, but I guess the body of the beer won't change much?

DME next time it is. If I do more kits.

"Brewing sugar" means dextrose right?

Those tinned kits seem pretty horrible. Hopped extract, old dry yeast, bad instructions, and to top it all off they get you to add pure sugar to up the alcohol rather than malt?

My LHBS sells little containers of LME to throw in with those kits.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The page you linked is for 5 gallons, did you get the proper quantities for your mr beer's capacity?

Freshly crushed grains last a week or two so you're fine to brew on Saturday.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Huge_Midget posted:

Just as a piece of info, you can store crushed grains much longer than a week or two. As long as you store them in some kind of air tight container you can store them for months. I stored a bunch of crushed grain for an imperial porter for almost 6 months and they were fine.

Ah, thanks, I don't know where I got that idea

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just realized I haven't sanitized my strainer for the last few batches when pouring into my primary. Surprised I haven't gotten an infection yet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hollis posted:

I figured to clean them I'd just give the berries a wash and that should be enough. I've made plenty of pies etc.. with wild blackberries and that's always turned out fine.

OK but you're planning on boiling and Jo3sh was describing a method to sanitize the berries cold to keep the blackberry flavour.

This is a really good guide to mead making:

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wmead.pdf

mewse
May 2, 2006

My LHBS had star san!!! :woop:

What's an easy way to measure 6 mL to make a 1 gallon batch?

mewse
May 2, 2006

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Pipette: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/pyrex-disposable-glass-pipet-10ml.html

Reusable as long as you don't break it.

I'm not in the states so I have no idea where I could get a pipette cheaply, online or local.

I asked my nurse friend if she could get me a syringe to measure 6mL but she hasn't responded yet.

I'll end up measuring 1 1/4 tsp if I have to, bottling day is friday \o/

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jo3sh posted:

I have a children's medicine dropper that has mL graduations on it - that works nicely. I also have a syringe that I use for small amounts.

Yeah I was figuring I'd swing by the drug store and ask if they carry anything that would work. Thanks guys

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nurse chick txted me back and said she can get me a syringe. My heroin addiction abides..

mewse
May 2, 2006

So it looks like I'm getting golding and fuggle rhizomes from the local hop lady. Anyone have any good links for growing hops? I don't want to murder them but I probably will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks for the advice, Daedalus and wetmouse. I think I might hang some string from a tree in my parents yard as long as they're OK with me digging up their lawn in those spots.