Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Siri says: Would you like me to search the web for "how do I make beer?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

RagingBoner posted:

HowToBasic just posted a very informative video on a quick, easy way to make homemade beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP50g1KGoTo

His techniques are a little crude, but are basically sound, and it has given me some ideas for my next batch!

He doesn't even mention temperature control

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm thinking of buying a used chest freezer, a power tail SSR and using an arduino with a temperature sensor to control it. Anything really dumb with this plan? Should I just buy a $100 temperature controller?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

mewse: that's a valid option, although I strongly recommend considering the ever-popular-with-homebrewers ranco 111000. You can get it on ebay from Patriot Supply for $45 with free shipping and it's a GREAT device. Yes, you can set it up as you were planning (that's effectively what I did the first time around with my kegerator, except replace the arduino with a PID controller with all sorts of fancy features) but frankly, the hassle of doing that was too much in the end and eventually, in a fit of it not quite working the way I wanted, I ordered the ranco and have never looked back, at all. In short, no, you shouldn't buy a $100 controller, but you SHOULD buy a $45 controller and save yourself a world of headache. :) That device right there is by far the most popular kegerator controller among home brewers.

Ugh, I'm in canada :(

The only temperature controllers I know online for me, aside from the hong kong ones, are the johnson analog or digital

mewse
May 2, 2006

Are there really different 110/220V versions of the STC1000. I searched ebay for 110V versions and all the item descriptions have instructions for 220V

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Where in Canada? I mean, if you're in, say, Toronto or something, you know I'm just across the lake from you, I could make a border run and deliver it by jet ski :v:

Winnipeg, unfortunately. There are parcel services across the border but it's like $40 in gas to pick up a $20 item.

Jo3sh posted:

Do you mean the Ranco ETC111000? That can be set up to run on either 120 or 240V.

The ranco has $35 in shipping charges to canadar :(

Galler posted:

Yes there are two different models. They're now on Amazon with Prime shipping so that's clearly the way to go.

Amazon.ca isn't as cool as amazon.com.

I've ordered a 110v stc1000 from this ebay seller, shipping from hong kong is cheaper than from the USA (lol). I'll wait for it to arrive and electrocute myself before I go hunting for a used chest freezer

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

e: Although it gives me an idea for a series of "Extreme Weather" brews, where the beer is not only named after but more importantly actually brewed in various forms of overtly inclement weather. Lightning Lager and Blizzard Brown and Avalanche Amber and Tsunami Saison and so on. :v:

My friends dad was making a stout when it started raining and I suggested rain storm stout as the name

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just wired my STC-1000 and it overshoots temperatures dramatically with an empty freezer.

Is this something that just takes care of itself once there's a fermenter involved?

I suppose I'm going to scavenge some foam packing at work, and use that to insulate the probe against the side of the fermenter.

e: pics

mewse fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Does anyone here have experince when it comes to brinning home made beer and wine across the US/Canadian border? The Canadian border site only talks about commercial products (as far as I can tell) and any other forum of brewers just gives anecdotal evidence and other unhelpful advice. Can anyone point me to an authoratative source so I can declare my stuff at a reasonable rate or even duty free (as it had no commercial value) and not get denied entry or have my stuff dumped out infront of me for not declaring it?

If it's finished, bottled, and fermented then I'm pretty sure it's in the alcohol category, regardless of being homebrew.

"Alcoholic beverages are products that exceed 0.5% alcohol by volume."

You'd have a tough time arguing that it's not a "product" just because it's homemade.

e: You'd probably be best off phoning this service for an authoritative answer

mewse fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 23, 2013