Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Crazyeyes posted:

Got a jar of them jalapenos in the fridge now. Hopefully didn't gently caress it up.

Same, I just made my first batch of it a few days ago. I had a lot of the syrup left over so I tried to make some pepper jelly out of it and ended up with a very thick syrup instead. Now it's being used to marinate some chicken w/ some soy sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Literally A Person posted:

So this is the recipe I used:
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/

The only bit of extra advice I can offer is this; It is really hard to get ringed jalapeņos to pack tightly into a jar. Godspeed, goon.

I've made these before too and they turned out really well. The goo they're packed in is great to brush on grilled chicken after you've eaten all the peppers too.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sometimes I like to put pineapple and peppers in a bottle of tequila and drink it after it sits a few days. It's really good

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Not sure of any herbs/spices you should absolutely avoid but I may be able to help with your store bought problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U059Y5PZGRI
Not necessarily the brand recommendation but they explain why the store ones are usually bland

I get claussen ones because I can't find boars head but they're an order of magnitude better than the shelf stable ones. I've never had much luck making my own shelf stable pickles that are comparable in taste to refrigerated ones.

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 12, 2020

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What do you guys eat your home made kraut with

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yes but only after a shot of whiskey

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah the peel is the only part I use and it's great. I put it on pizza a lot

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yes and yes.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think it's for bacterial reasons yeah. The wax from the store might be a concern too, unless you're picking your own. You could try to give them a quick dip in boiling water whole to sanitize them and melt off the wax if you really want the peels but I'm not a food scientist :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ran out of ideas for what to do with all my peppers and just ended up refrigerator picking the stuff I couldn't figure out. They're all pretty spicy varieties though so idk how useful they'll be as pickles. I can always just blend the jar into a hot sauce I guess