Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The paper filter on the bottom makes it flow a lot faster. If you’re not using one of those your shot will flow much more slowly.

Edit: Also, different beans, different flow rate.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Gunder posted:

Those are the same burrs I have in my P64. If you haven't tried it already, I highly recommend the Extractamundo Dos! profile. It's basically designed for fast extracting burrs like ours and produces really beautiful shots. Just make sure you read the description for instructions on how to dial it.

What is this "profile" and is it something I can do on my Cafelat Robot?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

MetaJew posted:

What is this "profile" and is it something I can do on my Cafelat Robot?

Nah, they're flow/pressure profiles that the Decent can do. You pick one from the menu and it does its thing according to whatever the profile says.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Gunder posted:

Nah, they're flow/pressure profiles that the Decent can do. You pick one from the menu and it does its thing according to whatever the profile says.

I mean in theory they could try to do it on a robot

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, technically my new DE1Pro can't do anything that my old Bianca couldn't, it's just that the Decent is waaaay more consistent.

Edit: Although, doing the temperature profiling that the Decent does would be real difficult on a machine not designed for it.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 13, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024
I bought some junk swedish beans that are such a dark roast they look like bakelite.
Americano tastes like rear end but lattes seem to get better the worse my bean is.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I had some super dark roast that I managed to pull an amazing shot on exactly once. Still don't know what I did that time. I think I had to grind pretty coarsely, high pressure pull (9 bar in the robot gauge), and I don't recall the dose. Maybe 18-20g, and I pulled maybe a 40-50g shot.

It was downright sweet. A very strange experience since all other times the dark roast tasted terrible to me. Milk drinks mask a lot of bad stuff.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024
Milk masks all the good stuff as well.
Maybe I should get a dedicated garbage bean for milk duty. But my gf loves the good bean for her milk drink

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

MetaJew posted:

I had some super dark roast that I managed to pull an amazing shot on exactly once. Still don't know what I did that time. I think I had to grind pretty coarsely, high pressure pull (9 bar in the robot gauge), and I don't recall the dose. Maybe 18-20g, and I pulled maybe a 40-50g shot.

It was downright sweet. A very strange experience since all other times the dark roast tasted terrible to me. Milk drinks mask a lot of bad stuff.

When I have a surprise it's normally temperature related, since I don't always measure that one and it can make a big difference for very sensitive beans

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024
What's a good rule of thumb for temperature? I haven't really played around eith it since my grinder is so inconsistent there's no way to get good data

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

When I have a surprise it's normally temperature related, since I don't always measure that one and it can make a big difference for very sensitive beans

Oh good point. I think I dropped the temp on my kettle down to 85° C.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

haddedam posted:

What's a good rule of thumb for temperature? I haven't really played around eith it since my grinder is so inconsistent there's no way to get good data

Higher temperature extracts more. Lower temperature extracts less. So if you can't seem to get on the sweet side of bitter, no matter your grind and ratio, try dropping temp a bit.

I usually start at 200°F for light roast, 195°F for medium, 190°F for dark or decaf. Just checked my notes and those are pretty consistent but every now and then a medium will taste better at 200 or a decaf will have 185 as the sweet spot.

This is all measured after the water temp has stabilized in the brew chamber. I always use freshly boiled water which stabilizes at 200°F and to go lower I just stir with the thermapen while blowing on it - about 1-2 degree drop per second of stirring / blowing.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024
That's simple to understand and follow. Will keep in mind and start tweaking it to see where it takes me

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yesterday I went to the local shop that carries Nordic roasts and had a pretty cool experience. I was a little miffed at first that they didn't keep the beans in the lobby, but then the barista gave me the sommelier experience. He asked the notes I like, then pulled a few boxes from the back and told me what he did/didn't like about ones he brought out. I ended up with a box of Dak Rainbow since I'll jump on anything with citrus on the label.

I proceeded to go home and pulled the worst looking shot I've made since I made my first espresso- just way too coarse even for a high-flow, low pressure profile. It didn't taste terrible though still on the sour side. This morning was a hundred times better with a strong lavender forward flavor and a bright fruit finish. I know it's pretentious to wax poetic about coffee, but that was one of the best drinks I've had since my first proper pour over at a specialty shop.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sounds great! I’m jealous!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Looks like you're on the right....

Nordi-Track

:v:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If I end up with grounds on the outside of the puck at then end of my espresso puck prep, is that a bad thing? I am brushing them away just before I pull a shot, but I wonder if perhaps I am doing my puck prep wrong because I never see anyone else do this.

E: ... the puck is clean before the prep, so I think the needle gizmo is pushing grounds through the basket.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 23, 2024

Gunder
May 22, 2003

theHUNGERian posted:

If I end up with grounds on the outside of the puck at then end of my espresso puck prep, is that a bad thing? I am brushing them away just before I pull a shot, but I wonder if perhaps I am doing my puck prep wrong because I never see anyone else do this.

E: ... the puck is clean before the prep, so I think the needle gizmo is pushing grounds through the basket.

I don't really understand what any of this means. If you're trying to do a basic WDT needle routine, copy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3FWEQaJVk

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Gunder posted:

I don't really understand what any of this means. If you're trying to do a basic WDT needle routine, copy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3FWEQaJVk

To my eyes I am doing exactly that. The only difference is that at the end of the prep I see some grounds on the surface the basket was resting on during the prep so I must have pushed some grounds through the basket during my puck prep. In addition, some grounds are still attached to the bottom of the basket, so if any fluid runs though it those grounds will end up in the cup.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If you don’t have a paper filter on the bottom of your basket then it’s normal to get some fines falling through the holes in the basket. Just wipe off the underside of the basket if you’re finding escaped coarse grounds clinging to the bottom after WDT.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Coolio, thanks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I love Colombian Bourbon/Gesha season. And now I wait.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Mail me that left bag thanks in advance.

After making espresso 99% of the time I tried making the gesha I got in a v60 a couple of times and I cannot dial in a pour over to save my life. I might start experimenting with Americanos since I've been craving some longer drinks lately.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I buy 1KG bags of beans, split into 250g portions, vacuum seal, then freeze. My problem is that of each batch I always seem to find that one of the four frozen bags has had its seal fail and gets wasted. I've tried arranging them in larger, flatter packages and in smaller, thicker package but neither seems to affect this. I'm also making sure that I double seal each end using my Anova sealer which already does two seals. I'm careful to make sure nothing gets placed on top of them. Is there a better way to be doing this?

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024
I just pour my coffee out from the bag into a small container that holds 100g and freeze the rest in the original bag.
It keeps plenty fresh and I consume my bag in around 20 days.

Just get a vacuum packager if you're keeping your coffee so long it gets spoiled if seal is broken while frozen. That should provide you with a surefire seal.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I buy 1KG bags of beans, split into 250g portions, vacuum seal, then freeze. My problem is that of each batch I always seem to find that one of the four frozen bags has had its seal fail and gets wasted. I've tried arranging them in larger, flatter packages and in smaller, thicker package but neither seems to affect this. I'm also making sure that I double seal each end using my Anova sealer which already does two seals. I'm careful to make sure nothing gets placed on top of them. Is there a better way to be doing this?

what bags are you using? i've never had seals fail with the anova roll with air channels on both sides, but with a cheap roll from amazon I got 100% failures after a few weeks

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Maybe that's it then. I've always used what I found on amazon - I think the brand is 'sous vide tools'. I've used it for years but this is the only application where I've had failures - but it's also the thing I store longest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You know how cupping is great, not as an everyday technique but as a consistent baseline that can preview some of the difficult flavors to aim for? Like a delicate fruit can appear in cupping that takes a lot of dialing in to get clear in your shot.

Is the same true for cold pressed espresso? I just had a 12g in / 20g out in 2:10 that reminds me of the best I've gotten from these beans.