Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Another Eastsider here. Now I'm sure there are many different ways of going about this and let me suggest probably the shittiest one.

I started drinking coffee at lovely diners back when I lived in Wisconsin. There's only one way to go from there.... up! I'd probably just go to a breakfast place like the Brown Bag Cafe (hell, even Denny's) or something else around here and getting standard drip coffee. The way I look at it is this:

If you've never had beer before, don't start with something like Sint Bernardus Abt 12. You'll only spoil yourself and might have a difficult time learning to appreciate the better things. Start with Miller Lite. Cheap, not much flavor (but better than Bud), easy to drink (in mass quantities). Coffee, as well as beer is generally considered to be an acquired taste. As you begin to develop a taste for it, you might discover that you want to try something better. Then you can start exploring better options.

All of this being said, I'm not a huge coffee drinker and would like to explore more of it myself. I drink at least a cup or two a day but it is usually just drip. Luckily, I now live in a great part of the country to see what the world of coffee has to offer. I'm not a snobby dick when it comes to coffee, but since I started with standard lovely diner stuff I can now aspire to be a snobby dick and hopefully will be someday. :colbert:

Basically, start small and work your way up.
I disagree. A good cup of a high-quality city roast Ethiopian will do someone not used to coffee much better than the combination of burnt and over extracted diner coffee. lovely coffee will just make someone think they don't like coffee. Lighter roasted ethopians give a wide variety of fairly easily determined tastes that make coffee snobbery fun. It tastes great and is notably different to even the untrained palate from the typical poo poo.
I say the same thing with beer. No, you shouldn't start with a belgian, but you don't need to start with swill. Miller tasted like piss when I started drink and still does. Something simple, affordable with more mass market tastes but of reasonable quality like a Sam Adams makes more sense.
(I am not comparing Sam Adams with Ethiopian coffee)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

nm posted:

lovely coffee will just make someone think they don't like coffee.

Very true, and I wanted to mention this but didn't because I'm retarded. Don't drink BAD coffee/beer at first because then you may be turned off by it and never bother trying it again.

However, this is where we differ. I don't find diner coffee to be bad. I don't consider Miller to be bad. If someone offers me either, I won't turn it down because it isn't good enough for me. They are just fine, but maybe not good or great.

My point was to establish a baseline. If you go straight to the top then you are missing out on everything along the way and will probably put you on the fast track to being an offensive douche. If you start at the very bottom then you may end it right then and there and not even bother to try it again. Perhaps somewhere in the middle is a good place, although I'd suggest a little further down. It's the journey that makes it fun. :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

However, this is where we differ. I don't find diner coffee to be bad. I don't consider Miller to be bad. If someone offers me either, I won't turn it down because it isn't good enough for me. They are just fine, but maybe not good or great.
I actually like bad diner coffee, but I don't think that it is good. It is hot and goes great with grease and it keep coming!
However, it is the kind of coffee that makes people think they don't like coffee.
(I also never turn down free beer, even pabst)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

My point was to establish a baseline.

IMO the best baseline to establish is: Drip coffee with fresh ground beans.

It's usually within anyone's means- they'll typically already have a drip machine and buying a cheap blade grinder isn't a waste even if you still dislike coffee because then you have a spice grinder.

There are issues still which could create bad coffee with this though- if your drip machine just sucks or is malfunctioning to begin with then it could be making bad coffee no matter what. Maybe you bought your beans from the supermarket- they've been sitting there for maybe years unbought. Stale. Maybe you bought FLAVORED bean - gross.

But for most people, having coffee that isn't Starbucks and is made from freshly ground beans could make a huge difference. You can start learning how strong you like your coffee, if you really do actually need any sugar or cream in it, and how much if you do. From there you can start moving upwards in quality. Better beans, better grinder, better machine or moving into a french press or espresso machine. At that point is when you'd start worrying about roasters and freshness of the roast I think, unless you happen to have someone local/cheap in which case you could worry about that much earlier.

Myself? I can appreciate coffee, but haven't moved up to actually having good equipment. What I do have is okay at best, but when I first got it? I was amazed. My wallet just can't catch up with the advancement of my tastes. As such I don't really bother on paying a premium on super fresh coffee as the difference would likely be wasted in the machine.

Comic fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 1, 2011

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party
A nice cup of hot light to medium roast Ethiopian coffee is so good. I'm about to run out of my Idido, and that makes me sad since I no longer can get it locally.

Has anyone tried Civet coffee? It's pretty expensive, which I guess is understandable if I understand how it's obtained. Is it worth it, or is it just a gimmick?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Comic posted:

Myself? I can appreciate coffee, but haven't moved up to actually having good equipment. What I do have is okay at best, but when I first got it? I was amazed. My wallet just can't catch up with the advancement of my tastes. As such I don't really bother on paying a premium on super fresh coffee as the difference would likely be wasted in the machine.
A hario hand grinder and a clever dripper isn't that expensive.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

nm posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys. When I started drinking beer, I began with the poor-quality stuff. I don't feel that was the best method, so I'm going to try the opposite approach with coffee. I'll start with some high-quality drip coffee, and then move onto the cheaper stuff for more experience.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

Has anyone tried Civet coffee? It's pretty expensive, which I guess is understandable if I understand how it's obtained. Is it worth it, or is it just a gimmick?

I have had it and I really do enjoy it a lot. The problem is, it has to be roasted extremely dark and it often loses a lot of it's "varietal" flavor. It's still there, but the roast covers it up quite a bit.

Panamanian Esmerelda, however, is totally not worth the money. It's probably some of the best coffee I've ever had but gently caress paying $150/lb.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Meroin posted:

Can I get a sense of peoples' opinions of different decaf coffee? I'd love to know what varieties (especially ones I can get a hold of in the US Northwest) could be mistaken for full caff coffee. Unfortunately, my girlfriend can't handle the caffeine at all, though she loves to drink it and is in fact a bit of a coffee snob! It seems like she's written off drinking it at all, but I'd love to defy her expectations.

The thing with decaf is that it isn't a cheap process, so if you see a bag of decaf beans sitting next to non-decaf for about the same price then you know that that the decaf stuff was made starting with much cheaper beans.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

nm posted:

A hario hand grinder and a clever dripper isn't that expensive.

I have a burr grinder and a clever dripper, it's just that the burr grinder isn't very good. My espresso machine however was okay at best but now it's starting to break down because it was cheap and not all that great to begin with. Using nice beans in that is a waste since it either pulls shots way too slow or waaaay too fast these days, with very little inbetween.

But it's true, they are definitely not that expensive- but at the same time maybe more than someone who is simply curious and may not like coffee regardless would be willing to invest in. ... well the hand grinder at least. Clever drippers are super cheap.

Comic fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 2, 2011

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm a long way from my goal of owning one example of every different coffee preparation apparatus and knowing how to use it, but I've got a pretty good collection going. I have a cheap Mr. Coffee drip machine with a mesh basket for family visits, an Aeropress, a beautiful Frieling stainless French press that I use daily, a moka pot, a LaPavoni Europiccola, and a Handpresso Wild (uses ESE pods) that I keep at work. I've also had a few "steam toy" espresso machines, one of which broke and the other went to my sister. They're a cheap novelty but an Aeropress and a battery-powered milk frother would produce better results for a little less money.

I have an Ascaso I-Mini grinder for espresso and a Capresso Infinity grinder for everything else. I'm not that happy with the I-Mini but I love the Capresso, which I bought from Costco brand new for $90.

I'm planning to get one of those Hario drippers next, then a Turkish ibrik and one of those vacuum pots someday. Then I'll have to figure out what's left.

My wife even got one of those loving Keurig machines for her birthday--from someone who knows about all the other coffee stuff we have--and refused to return it for cash like I suggested. So now she uses that when I don't have time for the French press that we usually share in the morning. It tastes fine to her, she says, so I keep my mouth shut about it.

The Aeropress makes the best coffee of any device I've tried, hands down, and it was wonderfully cheap. It's easy to use and easy to clean. The only thing I don't like about it is how inefficient it is with beans--I have to load it way up to make a good Americano, like half as many beans as I'd use for a 10-cup pot in the Mr. Coffee. So it's a rare treat for me. Also the recommended brewing temperature is a little on the low side so unless you brew over a double walled, pre-heated stainless mug, it will cool off fast.

The worst is the Keurig. Nuff said.

The second worst cup for me, though, comes out of my moka pot. I am pretty sure that I'm doing something wrong but I haven't figured out what yet. I grind on the coarse side of what you'd call "fine" (does that make sense?) and dose properly, I think, and use a medium-hot setting on my stovetop, but it always takes a really long time to brew and invariably comes out way too bitter and harsh. I use an all-stainless pot I found at IKEA, if it matters.

I've heard it takes time to season the gasket, and this can affect flavor--is that true? What else can I do differently?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I have a Hario Slim Mill, and while it's a pretty decent grinder for the price, the grind is fairly inconsistent. The conical portion of the burr isn't held steadily in the center, so I invariably get some bigger chunks of beans along with some finer dust at the end of a grind. Is there some sort of modification I can make in order to get a more consistent grind (for a french press), or should I just be looking for a better, electric model?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

jooky posted:

I have a Hario Slim Mill, and while it's a pretty decent grinder for the price, the grind is fairly inconsistent. The conical portion of the burr isn't held steadily in the center, so I invariably get some bigger chunks of beans along with some finer dust at the end of a grind. Is there some sort of modification I can make in order to get a more consistent grind (for a french press), or should I just be looking for a better, electric model?

A little spring and paair of washers will fix that. Take it to a good hardware store, explain your need, pay less than $2, and walk out with a fixed grinder.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

pork never goes bad posted:

A little spring and paair of washers will fix that. Take it to a good hardware store, explain your need, pay less than $2, and walk out with a fixed grinder.

I just did this as well. It's very effective.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I am seriously amazed and impressed that you guys are willing to make DIY improvements to the Hario hand grinders. The inconsistent coarse grind caused by burr wobble is the main reason I've stopped recommending them as a base entry-level grinder. I tried getting a couple people I know who bought them on my advice to make a similar modification, but they weren't willing to do it, and eventually ditched them.

Then again, most people consider even pre-ground in an automatic drip machine :effort:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

strangemusic posted:

I just did this as well. It's very effective.

I had this hacked on my Skerton, but I didn't use a washer on one side and had a spring that was wound opposite whatever direction you turn the handle, so the spring unwound over time. So use two washers if you at all can! I need to take mine to a hardware store again and re-do this.

Bob - the hand grinders with this simple hack are SO GOOD. The grind is way better than anything under a few hundred bucks (like, Rocky quality ish)

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Trip report!

I got my first cup of coffee at Milstead & Co. today. The owner was there and recommended I start with a cappuccino, which I did. It was really good. He mentioned it was made with Guatemalan beans from Stumptown. His other recommendation would have been brew coffee made from some African beans, but he didn't have any on stock.

I also stopped by Cafe Ladro because it was on the way back, and I got a straight espresso. The taste was too strong for me to enjoy, so I think I'll stick with cappuccinos for a while, unless I can find a place that uses African beans.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Actually, the slim mill, unlike the Skerton, already has a spring. It certain holds a lot better than the Skerton, but isn't perfect.

I have the slim mill and have the same issue. What I find helps is to clean the poo poo out oif it on a regular basis, but you'll still have some issues.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
The other day, I got lazy and hooked a power drill up to my slim mill. That produced quite possibly the most uneven grind I have ever seen.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

nm posted:

Actually, the slim mill, unlike the Skerton, already has a spring. It certain holds a lot better than the Skerton, but isn't perfect.

I have the slim mill and have the same issue. What I find helps is to clean the poo poo out oif it on a regular basis, but you'll still have some issues.

Perhaps a stronger spring? I don't mean to say something obvious, but go to a hardware store, take your spring, and say you want a stiffer one?

ALMIGHTYSTRIKE
Nov 3, 2011

I mean, I'm no, I can't.. I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas... I mean
what is the strongest coffee on the planet ? is there actually one or are the top brands kinda all the same ?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

ALMIGHTYSTRIKE posted:

what is the strongest coffee on the planet ? is there actually one or are the top brands kinda all the same ?

Strongest as in...?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

ALMIGHTYSTRIKE posted:

Pweh! Fetid! The humans still hide their finest bean!

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Alceste posted:

The Aeropress makes the best coffee of any device I've tried, hands down, and it was wonderfully cheap. It's easy to use and easy to clean. The only thing I don't like about it is how inefficient it is with beans--I have to load it way up to make a good Americano, like half as many beans as I'd use for a 10-cup pot in the Mr. Coffee. So it's a rare treat for me. Also the recommended brewing temperature is a little on the low side so unless you brew over a double walled, pre-heated stainless mug, it will cool off fast.

Pretty sure you're using too coarse grind. The AP makers recommend one step finer than for drip.

The temperature isn't a problem, you just need cooler water for the brewing :

- boil water
- let it cool down
- pour enough for water for as many cups you want into the press
- put the rest of the water back on the stove / turn kettle back on / whatever
- stir for 15 seconds and press the concentrate
- fill cup with hot water

If you're filling the whole press with water for one cup, you're doing it wrong. It seriously ruins the whole process. I know because inspired by some dumb youtube video I did this for awhile. :downs:

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
What is the best generic brand of coffee, like folgers or maxwell house? Normally I wouldn't ever buy these but I'm getting deployed soon and all I'll have access too is the basic brands I fear. So I just want to get the most bang for my lovely buck.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Lazaruise posted:

What is the best generic brand of coffee, like folgers or maxwell house? Normally I wouldn't ever buy these but I'm getting deployed soon and all I'll have access too is the basic brands I fear. So I just want to get the most bang for my lovely buck.

Buy a case of Starbucks VIA. It's surprisingly good instant coffee, and I'd say it's better than the coffee they actually serve IN Starbucks.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party

Lazaruise posted:

I'm partial to Community Coffee and Mello Joy, but these are regional "generics" so I guess they really wouldn't count for what you're looking for. Still good for what they are.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Metanaut posted:

Pretty sure you're using too coarse grind. The AP makers recommend one step finer than for drip.

I have a lot of trouble pushing the plunger down if I go any finer than the grind I use. I'm usually brewing a large size Americano that requires two scoops. The issue I have with efficiency is that the Aeropress scoop is pretty drat big, so you end up using a lot more beans, relative to the output, than you might with other coffee processes. The AP produces such high quality that it doesn't bother me--but that's mainly because I don't use it all the time.

Metanaut posted:

If you're filling the whole press with water for one cup, you're doing it wrong.

I'm not, but good advice. Here are the instructions in case anyone's curious: http://www.sweetmarias.com/aeropress/AeroPressInstructions.pdf

Metanaut posted:

The temperature isn't a problem, you just need cooler water for the brewing :

- boil water
- let it cool down
- pour enough for water for as many cups you want into the press
- put the rest of the water back on the stove / turn kettle back on / whatever
- stir for 15 seconds and press the concentrate
- fill cup with hot water

This is what I should be doing for Americanos, you're right. I guess I never think to turn the kettle back on during the brewing because it's such a short process and it's kind of busy.

Alceste fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 8, 2011

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

Pweh! Fetid! The humans still hide their finest bean!

This is perfect.

Wsobchak
Mar 28, 2011

by elpintogrande
So what is the opinion on instant coffee? I live in a college dorm, and there is no room to accommodate a coffee maker. What is the best instant coffee out there?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Do you have a water boiler? You need a water boiler to make instant black sludge, so I'll reckon you have access to one (don't get me wrong, I thrive on that poo poo when I'm in the military, but then again, I'll also happily eat field rations in the same setting. Those things taste horribly horrible. There's just something about how your body and mind follow suit with the setting.)

If you have a water boiler, you can make good coffee. You won't need a grinder, or a roaster, or a $1000 coffee maker. You can buy good ground coffee, and a Bodum or similar, and use that. It'll be way better than anything before.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone have any home roaster recommendations? I've done a couple batches via the hot air popcorn popper method, but my popper got knocked off of the counter and broke and I was thinking about going to an actual roaster. From a quick skim of the few affordable options (sub $200) it seems like the FreshRoast SR500 is the best viewed option. Does anyone have any experience with it or anything else in that price range?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
As someone who works at the Enterprise Help Desk at Starbucks, this thread has been an interesting read.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

IronSaber posted:

As someone who works at the Enterprise Help Desk at Starbucks, this thread has been an interesting read.

I'm curious to know what the Enterprise Help Desk is.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Wsobchak posted:

So what is the opinion on instant coffee? I live in a college dorm, and there is no room to accommodate a coffee maker. What is the best instant coffee out there?

I actually really enjoy Mount Hagen Organic Freeze-Dried Instant. My parents sent me a crate of this when I started college, along with an electric water kettle. I progressed to french press quickly after, but this stuff actually tastes great.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

strangemusic posted:

I'm curious to know what the Enterprise Help Desk is.

I imagine it has nothing to do with Star Trek: The Next Generation or Battlestar Galactica sadly.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Astronaut Jones posted:

I imagine it has nothing to do with Star Trek: The Next Generation or Battlestar Galactica sadly.

Unfortunately not. All we do here at the EHD is troubleshoot when the store registers or wifi go south, or when something breaks at the roasting plants.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

rockcity posted:

Does anyone have any home roaster recommendations? I've done a couple batches via the hot air popcorn popper method, but my popper got knocked off of the counter and broke and I was thinking about going to an actual roaster. From a quick skim of the few affordable options (sub $200) it seems like the FreshRoast SR500 is the best viewed option. Does anyone have any experience with it or anything else in that price range?

I have an i-Roast 2 and love it. It has a higher capacity than the SR500 and has very good profile storage capabilities. It also reportedly moves air better than the SR500 and is not prone to scorched beans / uneven roasts at all. As a sub-$200 roaster, I can't recommend this one enough.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
A friend of mine, publicly known as the "Macgyver of Coffee", uses a bread maker and a heat gun. You can usually find bread makers at goodwill, and heat guns cost about 50 bucks. The news in the metroplex did a story on him if your interest is piqued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Corla Plankun posted:

A friend of mine, publicly known as the "Macgyver of Coffee", uses a bread maker and a heat gun. You can usually find bread makers at goodwill, and heat guns cost about 50 bucks. The news in the metroplex did a story on him if your interest is piqued.

You can also do it in Poppery hot air popcorn poppers. There's a lot of home roasters who use them on coffeegeek and home-barista.