Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

haddedam posted:

I wdt in my dosing cup cause there I can vigurously whisk it rather than having to be ultra careful and slow with the portafilter wdt.

Yeah makes sense - I'm on a Flair Pro2 so the basket is already deep and the doing funnel is like the same height again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lance hedrick's latest video on "seasoning" is a big steaming pile. massaged axes to make any change, whatever it's showing, seem larger than it is, most of the graphs don't show any significant change at all, and then he's doubling down on reddit and in the comments to deflect from the very obvious elephant in the room of sustainability and pointless food waste from such a dogshit recommendation "please grind through 5-20kg of coffee that you won't drink because it makes the grinder so much better, but oh no I didn't say you had to, is little baby mad at data?" :jerkbag:

ulvir fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 3, 2024

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ulvir posted:

lance hedrick's latest video on "seasoning" is a big steaming pile. massaged axes to make any change, whatever it's showing, seem larger than it is, most of the graphs don't show any significant change at all, and then he's doubling down on reddit and in the comments to deflect from the very obvious elephant in the room of sustainability and pointless food waste from such a dogshit recommendation "please grind through 5-20kg of coffee that you won't drink because it makes the grinder so much better, but oh no I didn't say you had to, is little baby mad at data?" :jerkbag:

You can't season metal without heat anyway. You're just putting oils on it if you're running coffee through it and not even that much oil. You might get the grinder warmed up, but you could do the same by running the motor for 10 seconds before adding your beans. As long as the burrs don't touch it should do anything. Thing is though that these motors in the good grinders don't have hardly any start up time. And for manual grinders it's not going to do anything mechanically different.

If you're only aiming for consistency of grind, then that partial second as the motor gets to speed will be slightly different, but it's not going to make enough of a difference to move the needle when you make the coffee.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

haddedam posted:

I wdt in my dosing cup cause there I can vigurously whisk it rather than having to be ultra careful and slow with the portafilter wdt.

But when you dump that into the basket don't you get clumping from the stuff all falling unevenly into the basket? I would assume the mechanical action of dumping grounds from the dosing cup into the basket is more than significant enough to cause variations in density that wdc seeks to address?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

ulvir posted:

Yeah I really wasn't a fan of it and if, as it seems, it's about blunting the burrs then surely just run a file across them a couple of times?

In cooler coffee science news Chris Hendon of the turbo shot paper has started a podcast. It's him and a post doc with an invited coffee professional doing a review of an interesting paper. I've enjoyed the first two episodes

https://podcastaddict.com/coffee-lit-rev/episode/173845898

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ulvir posted:

Hedrick is an especially uptight, pseudo-scientific little poo poo but I think most coffee YouTubers struggle to grapple with the unsustainability of coffee. Even Hoffmann’s videos are like “Coffee is pretty bad for the environment; here are some things you can do [to make it negligibly better].”

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Hedrick is an especially uptight, pseudo-scientific little poo poo but I think most coffee YouTubers struggle to grapple with the unsustainability of coffee. Even Hoffmann’s videos are like “Coffee is pretty bad for the environment; here are some things you can do [to make it negligibly better].”

yeah, plus the whole ecosystem of constant reviews of new stuff is also a can of worms on its own in that regard, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not going to read the paper or watch the video but even the basic idea of seasoning a grinding burr is laughable, because as noted you need heat do do that properly, and the basic seasoning method used for steel and cast iron pans actually goes above metallurgic temperatures that will change the characteristics of steel (tempering), so either it does nothing, or it ruins the burr's steel by softening it.

The exception is polymerizing oils such as get used in woodworking, and those will harden without heat if left for a long time, but they don't get hard enough to make a difference in this context (more like a wax): if you put a softer coating on top of a harder coating for a tool piece that functions via its hardness, that softer coating just flakes off.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Vigorous WDT then dump should be fine for density evenness, though you'll need to level the top since it will be lumpy.

ulvir posted:

dogshit recommendation "please grind through 5-20kg of coffee that you won't drink

Yeah I'm not ever going to season my burrs unless the beans are a waste anyhow - like asking a café for their weeks old decaf beans.

Jhet posted:

You can't season metal without heat anyway.

I mean oil does polymerize at lower temperatures in the presence of oxygen, if the layers are thin enough. I assume the grinding action does a good job of wiping off excess oil. The idea that a burr set can be seasoned is fine, but to what extent this actually matters is a whole different level. If you need to dial in every single bag you buy anyway, then the small variation in the first few months of owning a grinder is probably moot.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Vegetable posted:

Cannot stand the guy and this is ammunition for me to continue to not watching his videos. Thanks, OP

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah I really wasn't a fan of it and if, as it seems, it's about blunting the burrs then surely just run a file across them a couple of times?

Better yet:

https://youtu.be/nluhbnVxtmk?si=Ux0FQ0x71Wiie970

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Is there an actual claim that 'seasoning' in grinder terms is the same idea as a cast iron pan? I was under the impression it's more or less just a way of saying 'breaking in,' and is more or less the coffee equivalent of playing a bunch of pink noise on your new headphones before actually using them.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah I'm not ever going to season my burrs unless the beans are a waste anyhow - like asking a café for their weeks old decaf beans.

Any true youtube advertorial guy connoisseur will tell you that seasoning your grinder with inferior beans will impart an inferior flavor. Only waste the finest quality beans :lofty:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is there an actual claim that 'seasoning' in grinder terms is the same idea as a cast iron pan? I was under the impression it's more or less just a way of saying 'breaking in,' and is more or less the coffee equivalent of playing a bunch of pink noise on your new headphones before actually using them.

Yeah, this was my understanding. Like perhaps taking the sharpest edge off the burr/changing the blade geometry slightly.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that's what he's on about in the video as well, and what his graphs are supposedly showing, but, well, when his Y and X axes are truncrated, and the little peak graphs overlap almost perfectly, what kind of real, meaningful information can you gain from that, except "this is me trying to look scientific while peddling some snake-oil at you gullible viewers"?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 3, 2024

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ulvir posted:

that's what he's on about in the video as well, and what his graphs are supposedly showing, but, well, when his Y and X axes are truncrated, and the little peak graphs overlap almost perfectly, what kind of real, meaningful information can you gain from that, except "this is me trying to look scientific while peddling some snake-oil at you gullible viewers"?

I would never watch one of his videos, his voice/mannerisms are intolerable for me. But yeah, agreed on what you're saying. It is absolutely a "breaking in speakers" level of bullshit regardless of what they mean about seasoning.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

wtf

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The one coffee Youtuber snake oil thing that in my experience hasn't turned out to be snake oil has been the "slow feeding your beans into the grinder" thing everyone was doing for a minute. It's had a huge effect on the grind consistency from my Encore, but I also assume the motor is going to burn out that much quicker from me running it for a hundred years slow feeding coffee beans to it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Check upload date

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

RichterIX posted:

The one coffee Youtuber snake oil thing that in my experience hasn't turned out to be snake oil has been the "slow feeding your beans into the grinder" thing everyone was doing for a minute. It's had a huge effect on the grind consistency from my Encore, but I also assume the motor is going to burn out that much quicker from me running it for a hundred years slow feeding coffee beans to it.

Does your grinder have any "popcorning" when grinding normally? Apparently that's a real thing that causes inconsistency; when not slow fed (or not in a grinder that prevents the popcorning) you get some beans forced into the burrs by the beans above them, and then some that bounce around having chips taken off of them before getting fully ground.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The slow feed thing feels like a problem grinders should solve. Standing over your grinder and slow-pouring your beans is so goofy. Not to mention it keeps you closest to the noisy thing at a time you want to be farthest from it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Niche has a great little anti-popcorning disc. Unfortunately the slope of the hopper sides is just shallow enough to ensure 2-5 beans remain perched there. I just can't with engineers not having to use the product.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Make a coffee bean magazine to single fire beans and have the grinder shaped like a gun while you’re at it

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

I've watched some Lance's stuff, and while his sculptor honest opinions video is decent as it is a 20 minute ramble to say : "no hyped product is ever worth the hype, it's just a grinder."
But his video titled "why your espresso sucks" is an hour or so of "look me 'n some redditors have deduced that all espresso machines extract 5% less from edge than they could so your espresso is sucks thanks to that. Since the thread about it went live on reddit yesterday so it's not implemented by the industry yet." Seems like he is a big pusher for turning the espresso hobby into some snake oil bs like audiophilia where everything goes, no matter the price. As long as it's not a blind test.

quote:

But when you dump that into the basket don't you get clumping from the stuff all falling unevenly into the basket? I would assume the mechanical action of dumping grounds from the dosing cup into the basket is more than significant enough to cause variations in density that wdc seeks to address?

At this level pushing grounds into one another with wdt in basket is enough to introduce the same issue. You will never get perfectly uniform grounds distribution. Vibrating them or grinding them onto a flat surface and sliding them into portafilter layer by layer would be more uniform by a few % but it's not worht it since end of the day we want the best coffee with least effort possible and whisking works good for me.

Vegetable posted:

The slow feed thing feels like a problem grinders should solve. Standing over your grinder and slow-pouring your beans is so goofy. Not to mention it keeps you closest to the noisy thing at a time you want to be farthest from it.
Isn't auger the solution to that?

haddedam fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 4, 2024

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Vegetable posted:

Augers do this and from what i understand you can't replicated the single bean finding on grinders that have them

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s super-exhausting when a hobby that’s basically just “make hot drink - drink it” gets turned into a pseudoscientific endeavour of chasing the rapidly diminishing returns to the point of placebo and confirmation bias, and that’s the only proper way to do it

interesting or novel finds presented as such is all good, but gently caress it all when it gets wrapped in the message of “and therefore we’re all doing it wrong so we must do this instead”

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s also pretty weird to consider making and drinking a hot drink a hobby, but on the internet everything and anything is a community and a hobby so I’m not going to fight that bit

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

I wonder how much social media plays a role in that, some must be doing just for the upvotes, right?

I'm here with my lovely sage grinder happy when that turd manages to make two drinks in a row drinkable.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ulvir posted:

it’s also pretty weird to consider making and drinking a hot drink a hobby, but on the internet everything and anything is a community and a hobby so I’m not going to fight that bit

As someone who feels very drawn to espresso and coffee in general as a hobby (limited by the cash I can spend on it), I can explain why it works for me.

It’s super, never ending tinker-y, and it results in something tangible you can enjoy at the end. You spend a ton of time perfecting your setup, tools, and methods, then you get to spend mini-moments tinkering each time you get a new bag of beans.

You also have the option to just autopilot with nearly no tinkering and get a decent tangible item to enjoy, and dive in deeper whenever you want. You can even upgrade your kit or switch to a different brew method to restart the deep tinker process.

It works well for my brain because if I want to dedicate time to it, I can gently caress with all my ratios and grind size and bean type and chase flavor profiles and whatever. FWIW as much as I hate lance’s delivery style, I also have ADHD and I get why he’s chasing new tinker methods.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

While we're dumping on him I found the "Well other pourover recipes are designed by world professionals using hyperfancy beans that you will never get so here is my poo poo" and like tf you talking about, his recipe is no better and its completely unbased that other youtubers or whatever (e.g, Hoffman, who he was clearly sniping) are pulling out Archangel Gabriel's Yirgacheffe or whatever.

Pee pee poo poo he is a bad youtuber.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ulvir posted:

Reminds me of

https://youtu.be/4ZK8Z8hulFg?si=dfaQPOyQs4jwDFzL

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Been keeping an eye on Bambino Plus price drops or refurbs but it’s been around $500 since the pre holiday sales. My girlfriend’s birthday is later this month and I’m losing hope. She wouldn’t mind if I just waited a month (she’s both chill and frugal) but I do see the Breville Barista Touch as the only thing in stock their refurb site and I’m considering it. It has a built in grinder and wouldn’t be THAT much more than the bambino plus and a grinder at their current prices… we’d want a separate grinder for the espresso machine right? Daily coffee as of now is brewed in a chemex with a Mr Coffee grinder.

Thoughts? Any secret coffee nerd sites with deals? I’m cool with used/refurb stuff if it has a warranty of some sort

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kalsco posted:

While we're dumping on him I found the "Well other pourover recipes are designed by world professionals using hyperfancy beans that you will never get so here is my poo poo" and like tf you talking about, his recipe is no better and its completely unbased that other youtubers or whatever (e.g, Hoffman, who he was clearly sniping) are pulling out Archangel Gabriel's Yirgacheffe or whatever.

Pee pee poo poo he is a bad youtuber.

His specific recipe for pour over actually has some basis behind it. It wasn’t about hyperfancy beans, but hyperfancy grinders. His claim is that most pour over recipes by big YouTubers are conceived on $2k grinders that you’re unlikely to have access to.

In short, the shittier your grinder the more fines. With more fines you increase inconsistency and stalling with a V60.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m not sure how much I trust lance based on his breville/sage reviews. His flavor profile also doesn’t work for me, so I’m not sure how much I should go off his reviews.

He hates the niche and dark roasts. I love the niche and dark roasts. We’ll never find a common ground, it seems.

He’s always been super annoying. I used to think the same as Hoffman, but Hoffman grew on me over time, whereas lance just aggravates me more over time.

Second is his push for breville products. Yes he buys a lot of stuff himself, but I’ve used some of the products he waxes over and they just aren’t good.

Case in point : breville impress touch. He lauded this as a great machine with a good grinder so I bought it. The problem is it dispenses hot water to the tune of 150 degrees Fahrenheit which immediately cools down an americano if you use the machine for hot water.

Additionally, the grinder doesn’t learn over time. You’re consistently dosing and redosing and retamping as nauseum, and one shot is nothing like the next.

It was returned shortly after.

He bashes a lot of machines (londinium vectis, which seems to be a good one according to other people).

The only thing I like about lance is he’s at least starting to say that after reviewing a grinder that it’s probably not worth upgrading from another grinder in a lot of cases.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

amenenema posted:

Does your grinder have any "popcorning" when grinding normally? Apparently that's a real thing that causes inconsistency; when not slow fed (or not in a grinder that prevents the popcorning) you get some beans forced into the burrs by the beans above them, and then some that bounce around having chips taken off of them before getting fully ground.

It does but just the last one or two beans so I don't think it's meaningfully affecting my grind consistency.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

His specific recipe for pour over actually has some basis behind it. It wasn’t about hyperfancy beans, but hyperfancy grinders. His claim is that most pour over recipes by big YouTubers are conceived on $2k grinders that you’re unlikely to have access to.

In short, the shittier your grinder the more fines. With more fines you increase inconsistency and stalling with a V60.

Switching between Hoffmann's method and Hedrick's method was actually how I discovered that slow feeding my grinder made a huge difference and what made me go back to Hoffmann's. If I don't slow feed I get way more fines and basically can't use Hoffmann's method without being in danger of stalling unless I grind pretty coarsely. If I slow feed I can go way finer on my grind without the extra agitation from having more pours causing it to stall.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In summary, YouTubers are a land of contrasts

Carillon
May 9, 2014

nwin posted:

He’s always been super annoying. I used to think the same as Hoffman, but Hoffman grew on me over time, whereas lance just aggravates me more over time.

My first introduction to Hoffman was his cute Bripe video, so I never was able to find him annoying.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

didn’t hoffmann do his first v60 recipe way before he started diving into enormously expensive grinders though? it was specifically made for regular folks as well, the only fussy part of it was for single cups

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

James Hoffmann has the knowledge and credentials to be a stuffy snob about coffee, but he infuses every video with enough self-aware humor that he's easy and entertaining to watch even as he's blasting you with coffee facts. The aforementioned Bripe video was great, but I also really appreciated how his Aeropress series tackled some of the dogma surrounding its use and came up with his own recipe that's relatively simple to follow and adapt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The whole fines discourse is ridiculous. The majority of YouTubers go on about less fines being good but the majority of your surface area of your coffee (and therefore the actual coffee) comes from fines.

Watch a video of someone who sifts out the fines from.coffee and brews it, they universally say it's awful.