Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

EVG posted:

I'm not looking for a plastic or cheap one (he already has one). I'd like a good quality one for a Christmas present. Problem is they all look the same to me.

Weird that the plastic one performed the best... but he's hard to buy for and requested a ceramic pour-over, so that's what he'll get!

The ceramic Hario V60 that they sell for $20 on Amazon is great. Get that. Also get their gooseneck temp controlled kettle if you don't have it. Awesome pour over combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

For any east-coast goons (I'm CT), any roaster recommendations? I don't really like the local roaster in my rather small town, but ordering from CA seems rather expensive and far, considering the time it usually takes for them to get here.

Willoughby's, for the love of god. They have a store in New Haven and supply from Branford. Their serious selects are some of the best coffees available in the US.

Literally the two best coffees I've ever had have been from Willoughby's.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

EVG posted:

I'm not looking for a plastic or cheap one (he already has one). I'd like a good quality one for a Christmas present. Problem is they all look the same to me.

Weird that the plastic one performed the best... but he's hard to buy for and requested a ceramic pour-over, so that's what he'll get!
Perhaps the Kalita Wave. You can select the ceramic version at the bottom.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doh004 posted:

Oh man, this Sumatran Lake Toba 19+ Screen is absolutely delicious. Been using old lovely store bought coffee while waiting for this and the difference is just night and day.

Gonna roast up some Yemen next weekend.

Well, I just jumped into roasting at home. I found a West Bend Poppery (1500 watt model) on ebay so I ended up grabbing it. I also bought a 4 pound sample pack of sweet marias and a pound of that Sumatran Lake Toba above.

So, on to roasting.

I put 1/2 cup of the sumatran in the poppery, turned it on, and roasted for about 5:45. I think I was hearing some very faint cracks around 4:15, but I'm not sure...it wasn't very audible. Around 5:15 I heard some much louder cracks. I didn't want to burn my house down on my first experimentation by letting the roast go too long, so I figured 1/2 cup trial for my first try would be good.

I ended up with the picture below...

I'm going to let it out gas for about 24 hours before I try it out. Any recommendations on hearing the cracks and if this is a decent roast? I'm still completely brand new to this obviously, so advice is appreciated...for the sampler, I ended up with:

Colombia Vereda Pedregal, which it lists as a good SO espresso (no espresso maker...maybe it will still be good as normal coffee?)

Ethiopia Gome Duromina Cooperative

Nicaragua Acopio Suyatl

Sumatra Pak Lintong Joner (another listed as a good SO espresso)

Thanks for any help/insight!

Edit:I also have a infrared thermometer...could I use that to wait until it hits a certain temp and I know to pull it off at that point perhaps?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 11, 2012

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Sumatrans are tricky to roast visually as they usually look mottled. It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but they definitely look textured, so if anything they're probably underroasted. Beans that approach Full City or Vienna are usually smoother looking. Judging by your description it sounds like you may have stopped the roast too soon by cutting off first crack prematurely. It always depends on the crop, but Sumatrans generally need to be roasted on the darker end of the spectrum.

Let it sit for a couple of days at least, then test it out. While it's resting, get some of the other beans roasting and play around a bit. If you're ordering from Sweet Maria's their roasting recommendations are accurate, so thumb through their library (great info) and try to hit the sweet spot.

Worst case scenario with this batch is that you don't like the coffee and you're out $0.02 worth of water... but you'll always learn something about the roasting process when you're starting off, especially if it's bad.

Sound is the most helpful indicator with air roasting. After a while it's very easy to distinguish first and second crack, but you have to jump in and gently caress around until you get a feel for it. First crack sounds like popcorn popping, second crack sounds like rice krispies, and there's a pause in between the two stages. Keep doing it and you'll get the hang of it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nwin posted:

Well, I just jumped into roasting at home. I found a West Bend Poppery (1500 watt model) on ebay so I ended up grabbing it. I also bought a 4 pound sample pack of sweet marias and a pound of that Sumatran Lake Toba above.

So, on to roasting.

I put 1/2 cup of the sumatran in the poppery, turned it on, and roasted for about 5:45. I think I was hearing some very faint cracks around 4:15, but I'm not sure...it wasn't very audible. Around 5:15 I heard some much louder cracks. I didn't want to burn my house down on my first experimentation by letting the roast go too long, so I figured 1/2 cup trial for my first try would be good.

I ended up with the picture below...

I'm going to let it out gas for about 24 hours before I try it out. Any recommendations on hearing the cracks and if this is a decent roast? I'm still completely brand new to this obviously, so advice is appreciated...for the sampler, I ended up with:

Colombia Vereda Pedregal, which it lists as a good SO espresso (no espresso maker...maybe it will still be good as normal coffee?)

Ethiopia Gome Duromina Cooperative

Nicaragua Acopio Suyatl

Sumatra Pak Lintong Joner (another listed as a good SO espresso)

Thanks for any help/insight!

Edit:I also have a infrared thermometer...could I use that to wait until it hits a certain temp and I know to pull it off at that point perhaps?

Going off what Roybot said, sound is definitely a great indicator. You'll get used to distinguishing from first crack and second. It took me a while to realize it's not a crack all at once as the beans reach that point throughout a span of time. I also can't tell from that picture, but don't worry about getting it right the first time. I kept (I should keep doing this but I'm lazy) a log when I started trying to find a sweet spot.

I would definitely suggest you use an infrared thermometer! I use mine and roast to around 440 F to get a good FC+ roast (great for those Sumatran). This is the pic I used for the recent challenge I had with Ricola:

Once it hits 440 I turn of the machine and dump it out into a metal colander and shake it around to remove excess chafe. After about a minute of shaking I then throw it onto a baking sheet that starts absorbing any residual heat.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 11, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doh004 posted:

Going off what Roybot said, sound is definitely a great indicator. You'll get used to distinguishing from first crack and second. It took me a while to realize it's not a crack all at once as the beans reach that point throughout a span of time. I also can't tell from that picture, but don't worry about getting it right the first time. I kept (I should keep doing this but I'm lazy) a log when I started trying to find a sweet spot.

I would definitely suggest you use an infrared thermometer! I use mine and roast to around 440 F to get a good FC+ roast (great for those Sumatran). This is the pic I used for the recent challenge I had with Ricola:

Once it hits 440 I turn of the machine and dump it out into a metal colander and shake it around to remove excess chafe. After about a minute of shaking I then throw it onto a baking sheet that starts absorbing any residual heat.

Awesome. I think I have the same machine as you...any idea how long it takes to get to 440? Also, where are you aiming the laser at? Going off what Roybot said, looking back I honestly think I had just hit the first crack, as I heard something akin to popcorn popping. However...I definitely didn't hear all the beans pop...maybe only 10-15 cracks in a 1/2 cup of beans.

I was mainly worried about it starting a fire as I read somewhere after the second crack it could become a fire concern. Also, it wasn't smoking whatsoever so I'm sure it didn't get hot enough. The beans also aren't as smooth as some other roasted ones I have are from a roaster.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
One thing I've done when learning to roast is just plucking a bean out ,chewing it up and swishing some water in my mouth ; sort of a brew-on -the fly . Sound is the best indicator for me also, smell can trick you after a few batches.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nwin posted:

Awesome. I think I have the same machine as you...any idea how long it takes to get to 440? Also, where are you aiming the laser at? Going off what Roybot said, looking back I honestly think I had just hit the first crack, as I heard something akin to popcorn popping. However...I definitely didn't hear all the beans pop...maybe only 10-15 cracks in a 1/2 cup of beans.

I was mainly worried about it starting a fire as I read somewhere after the second crack it could become a fire concern. Also, it wasn't smoking whatsoever so I'm sure it didn't get hot enough. The beans also aren't as smooth as some other roasted ones I have are from a roaster.

I aim it right down the middle and I rest the gun on the top of the plastic covering (that our poppery's have). I tend to use the "max" temperature read on it as you will get readings all over the place.

The first roast will usually hit FC+ around 5 1/2 to 6 minutes at 1/2 cup. The second roast (I allow for about 15 minutes of cooldown inbetween) will usually take 4 to 4 1/2 minutes. I've found time to be a tough indicator of when the roasting is complete. Sight, sound and the thermometer work the best for me.

Don't worry, you won't start a fire if you're smart. I have my popper right next to an empty kitchen sink, and I make sure to have fan(s) venting out the smoke that's being generated and I live in a tiny 350 sq ft apartment. Once you reach the second crack you will see a fair amount of smoke, that's for sure.

flacoman954 posted:

One thing I've done when learning to roast is just plucking a bean out ,chewing it up and swishing some water in my mouth ; sort of a brew-on -the fly . Sound is the best indicator for me also, smell can trick you after a few batches.

That's interesting, never thought of that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doh004 posted:

I aim it right down the middle and I rest the gun on the top of the plastic covering (that our poppery's have). I tend to use the "max" temperature read on it as you will get readings all over the place.

The first roast will usually hit FC+ around 5 1/2 to 6 minutes at 1/2 cup. The second roast (I allow for about 15 minutes of cooldown inbetween) will usually take 4 to 4 1/2 minutes. I've found time to be a tough indicator of when the roasting is complete. Sight, sound and the thermometer work the best for me.

Don't worry, you won't start a fire if you're smart. I have my popper right next to an empty kitchen sink, and I make sure to have fan(s) venting out the smoke that's being generated and I live in a tiny 350 sq ft apartment. Once you reach the second crack you will see a fair amount of smoke, that's for sure.

Good to know and thanks for the tips...I had no idea you needed to stop roasting in between first/second crack...I figured you would hear the first and just keep it going. Do you take the beans out after the first crack and shake them in the colander and then put them back into the popper after 15 minutes or just leave them in the popper and turn it off for 15 before starting it up again?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nwin posted:

Good to know and thanks for the tips...I had no idea you needed to stop roasting in between first/second crack...I figured you would hear the first and just keep it going. Do you take the beans out after the first crack and shake them in the colander and then put them back into the popper after 15 minutes or just leave them in the popper and turn it off for 15 before starting it up again?

Oh no, I think you misunderstood and I wasn't being clear. I roast 1 cup of coffee total in 1/2 cup batches. The first 1/2 cup takes longer than the second because the poppery is already heated up.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doh004 posted:

Oh no, I think you misunderstood and I wasn't being clear. I roast 1 cup of coffee total in 1/2 cup batches. The first 1/2 cup takes longer than the second because the poppery is already heated up.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up...I thought I was going crazy when I read all the other reviews and no one was talking about stopping mid-roast!

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

rockcity posted:

Where in CT? J. Rene in West Hartford is really good. The owner is really professional, super friendly, and knows his stuff.

i am not so sure posted:

Willoughby's, for the love of god. They have a store in New Haven and supply from Branford. Their serious selects are some of the best coffees available in the US.

Literally the two best coffees I've ever had have been from Willoughby's.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm closer to New Haven, but I'll try both out when I get the chance. Only Willoughby's seems to have a website, though.

Also, since no one has said anything, am I correct to assume that 24-hour period of not being in the freezer (dunno, luggage compartment might be cold, I guess) won't ruin the coffee any more than it already has, for taking some coffee back to Korea for my used-to-pre-ground parents?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I'm thinking of picking up an air roaster myself, and doing it outside. I was reading that line voltage and ambient temperature affect the roasting. Does it only affect the roasting time, or does it also affect roast quality?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
My Dad excelled himself with my birthday present - freshly roasted beans covering Jamaican Blue Mountain, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Monsoon Malabar, and more. Pretty much the only things he didn't include were Hawaiian Kona and Kopi Luwak.

Gonna be a fun run-up to Christmas every morning!

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Hey coffee friends, does anyone have a coffee transport method? We roast decent beans, grind em up, and toss em in the French press but some mornings there isn't time for a leisurely cup. If you put it in the contigo or whatever it gets this old office-coffee taste no matter how thoroughly you clean the cup.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Monsoon Malabar owns.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

My Dad excelled himself with my birthday present - freshly roasted beans covering Jamaican Blue Mountain, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Monsoon Malabar, and more. Pretty much the only things he didn't include were Hawaiian Kona and Kopi Luwak.

Gonna be a fun run-up to Christmas every morning!
Kopi Luwak isn't that good anyway, and Kona has a really similar taste to Blue Mountain.

I've always wanted to try Malabar, so you should report back on how totally dope it is. That's a really awesome gift.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

that Vai sound posted:

I'm thinking of picking up an air roaster myself, and doing it outside. I was reading that line voltage and ambient temperature affect the roasting. Does it only affect the roasting time, or does it also affect roast quality?

I'm using a popcorn popper outside, and ambient temperature seems to affect roasting time if it's cold enough. I just found a corrugated cardboard box a bit larger than the popper, opened both ends, and slid it over top of the popper to provide insulation. It's not exactly elegant or firesafe, but the insulation seems to keep the roast times more consistent even in ~35 degree Fahrenheit temperatures.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I roast outside with a West Bend 82416 plugged straight into the wall, no extension cord. Adding extension cords of various lengths can be used productively to slow down your roasting speed a bit by impeding the thermal coil. Or you can go numerous routes and mod your popper (one of my co-workers has gone mad scientist and has a full temperature-measure-feedback loop going through an Arduino board).

Anyway, there's some quality control variances with this model, but it works good overall. My friend modded his because his was kind of slow on roasts, whereas mine roasts like a rocket. Either way, we and a couple other co-workers use this model successfully.

The random notes on roasting with an air popper:

Don't under-load the chamber. The beans will just spin and spin, much of your heat will escape, roast will lengthen. This can be done on purpose for certain beans when you get more picky about it.

Don't over-load the chamber. There's no fruitful implementation of this. Bottom beans burn because of trapped heat, top beans stay green. Much smoke. Probably some fire. You'll end up pouring it out. Even if you agitate the crap out of it.

So what's the perfect amount? This kind of depends on the air speed (CFM) of the fans in your popper and the height of the fins inside the chamber. You want to fill above the fins so the hot air has to pass your beans, but you don't want to put so many beans in that later in the roast the less-dense beans can't self-agitate. In the popper model I describe above there's a small fill line etched into the side of the chamber.

For most beans if I fill juuuust below that line to juuuust above it, I'll have minimal movement at the beginning and full bubble agitation by mid-end of roast. I also keep a wooden candy spoon with me and use the handle to agitate sometimes depending on the beans and my whim. This does always help me to get a more even roast, but sometimes it's not enough to justify sitting there stirring like mad for 6 mins, and then another 6 mins, and then another 6 mins... as I roll through a pound.

Speaking of time... lots of things can affect this. As I said, my West Bend is quite manic. On the amount of beans I do per batch, on most days on most beans I'm hitting first crack at 60-90 seconds. If I don't agitate it starts earlier and trickles longer. If I agitate like hell it starts latter and stops sooner, with a full-on chaff blizzard. Once that's done the thermostat behavior of the popper takes over. Heat on, temps rise, heat off, they cool a little, rinse, repeat until target temp is hit.

I would like to emphatically support the use of a laser thermometer. I roasted for several months without one, going by sound and color and was quite happy, but my inner geek kept raging for measurments so I could start a log of how things go with each bean, etc... with the thermometer I have been a happy, happy man. I can hit temps consistently with the only real variance being the cycling of the popper's thermostat and the ambient temperature and humidity outside (humid days roast much, much faster).

I feel for you guys who roast in places where there's a real winter, especially if you're going for FC or darker roasts. Second crack can be hard to come by on some of the air poppers and those freezing starting temps can't be helping.

I use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TurboForce-Circulator-Blade-Black/dp/B001R1RXUG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1355345011&sr=8-5&keywords=small+fan) for cooling. When I set up outside to roast I just park the dump collander on the fan from the get-go. Roast, dump, stir a bit, roast, dump, stir a bit, etc...

I realize not everyone can roast because of where they live, etc... and not everyone wants to because of time, etc... but it's really cheap to get into, and you can create some amazing coffee for one half to one third of boutique roaster prices. All you really need is a popper(20-25), collander (5-10) and beans (average of 6-ish bucks a lb at Sweet Maria's) to get going. Adding a wooden spoon, a laser thermometer and a cooling fan is what I consider the super deluxe setup. Even that in whole should only set you back 60-70 bucks if you're buying it all from scratch.

Anywhoo... I'm available to compare notes on roasting if anyone has need. I pulled the trigger on a heat gun that should arrive tomorrow. Going to test drive it on some Brazillian decaf beans I've had sitting for a bit that I don't really care to much about. If it's a decent functional test I'll move on to the last of my coveted Rwandan Nyamasheke Karengera for the Mrs and my Ethiopian Sidama Deri Kochoha for myself. It'll be nice to do half-lb or lb batches if this all works.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You don't even really need a colander. I've taken to cooling and sorting using a half sheet pan. Spreads it out in a thin layer, aluminum is a great thermal conductor, and I can use a fan to blow off all the chaff.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

i am not so sure posted:

Monsoon Malabar owns.

Totally not emptyquoting this. I think it's my second favorite, right behind Guatemalan Jade Crop.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm closer to New Haven, but I'll try both out when I get the chance. Only Willoughby's seems to have a website, though.

J. Rene has a temporary site up now with a slideshow showing their shop. The guy in the photos is their owner. He has everyone wear dress shirts, ties and vests, it's classy as gently caress in there.

http://jrenecoffee.com/

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

GrAviTy84 posted:

You don't even really need a colander. I've taken to cooling and sorting using a half sheet pan. Spreads it out in a thin layer, aluminum is a great thermal conductor, and I can use a fan to blow off all the chaff.

Yep. The colander + fan thing really is the core of the deluxe setup, and I went that route because I had a spare fan and it seemed to suit my will of not letting the roasts roll too much.

As for the chaff, most of mine flies out of the popper, especially under heavy agitation. However, I do find on some beans that the chaff really wants to stick around. For this I wait until the beans are cool enough in the colander that they're not scorching my hand, and I gently grind them against each other. This breaks off the remaining chaff and the fan blowing vertically just takes it away.

shapeshifter.
Feb 27, 2012
Right my kind of thread, coffee coffee coffee.

I will go back and read the whole thread but thought I'd start off saying:

Coffee is FRESH food people, treat it with respect :D

I also roast my own, I have about 30kg of green, I started off with a popper that my OH has converted, I used that for about 12 months, I'm now onto the Behmor due to batch sizes being bigger.

We will be making a roaster based on the popper but larger scale but that will be a little while in coming while OH is flat out with other projects.

People might know me already, depending on where you are in the world and what other websites you are on.

For others this is me http://nic.steve-tek.com/

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Gourd of Taste posted:

Hey coffee friends, does anyone have a coffee transport method? We roast decent beans, grind em up, and toss em in the French press but some mornings there isn't time for a leisurely cup. If you put it in the contigo or whatever it gets this old office-coffee taste no matter how thoroughly you clean the cup.

Have you considered an Aeropress? Something like this would be more than sufficient: http://www.handsomecoffee.com/coffee/hcrx3sixteenhavanabrown.html

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Gourd of Taste posted:

Have you let the brewed coffee cool in another container and tested flavor? It may not be the container at all, but the bean itself not being a fit for you flavor-wise if it's cooled too much. Certain more volatile parts of the flavor equation for you may have muted or simply flown away, certain other parts becoming more prevalent as the coffee cools.

You may simply need to find another bean that you like both at-temperature and slightly less.

Easy test though. Pre-load your Contigo or whatever with brew-temp water and let it pre-heat while you brew, then pour out the vessel and pour in your brewed coffee. Any difference?

I've had numerous beans, mostly flowery africans and sumatrans that rely so much on the really volatile flavor compounds that if you sip them at-temp they're incredible, slightly off temp they're still amazing, but let them drop like 5-10 more degrees and they fall flat. Anything beyond that and it's kinda like cardboard.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Gourd of Taste posted:

Have you ever put anything else in the Contigo aside from coffee? Those things absorb other flavor like nobody's business. It really needs to be relegated to one beverage only.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I assume he's referring to something like the bonavita variable temperature kettles that can hold water within a degree or two of temperature. It comes in gooseneck, so it'd be good for pourovers as well

Hey I decided to go with the Hario v60 single cup pourover, but having trouble picking a kettle. They seem awfully expensive for the stovetop models but I bet he'd like the gooseneck.

Also he's been sperging a little about temperatures with his new aeropress, so maybe one of the ones that has the temp readout would be good.

Can I get something like that for $50 or less? Extra points if it's not huge, we have a tiny kitchen and storage is at a premium.

Should I just suck it up and get this?
(Bonavita 1-Liter Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle)
https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40/

EVG fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 13, 2012

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

rockcity posted:

Have you ever put anything else in the Contigo aside from coffee? Those things absorb other flavor like nobody's business. It really needs to be relegated to one beverage only.

Is there a superior multi-beverage option out there?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Alleric posted:

Anywhoo... I'm available to compare notes on roasting if anyone has need. I pulled the trigger on a heat gun that should arrive tomorrow. Going to test drive it on some Brazillian decaf beans I've had sitting for a bit that I don't really care to much about. If it's a decent functional test I'll move on to the last of my coveted Rwandan Nyamasheke Karengera for the Mrs and my Ethiopian Sidama Deri Kochoha for myself. It'll be nice to do half-lb or lb batches if this all works.

Trip report on the heat gun.

So subtract one air popper from my setup, add one Wagner heat gun and one 6 quart stainless steel bowl.

First run: Decaf Brazillian Cerrado WP @ 1.25 lbs

I pretty much hated these beens for any use when I roasted the first .75 lbs. I tried all the preparations I have available to me. Dead cardboard. I figured if I burned these up trying out the heat gun, I really don't care.

Dump beans in bowl, fire up heat gun, park it at an angle down into the left edge of the bowl to attempt a swirling effect, lower it down half an inch from the beans, start agitating. It took half an hour, but I was able to hit the darkest roast I've ever done, with a mild oil sheen on the beans. The roast was incredibly even, just beautiful.

Now, it'd been months since the previous roast of these, and I did remember that they didn't really do the whole first crack thing... or have chaff... or make any sound at all when I roasted them before. They were quiet this time as well, so to me all I'd demonstrated was that I could hit an honest 450F on a copious amount of beans in 30 mins. I'd prefer my roasts to go faster than that.

By the way I chomped a bean after about 30 mins. It's not burned and definitely has a sweetness to it. Mayhap I hated it because I could never get it to it's optimal roast.

On to round two: my precious Kochoha @ .75 lbs

Holy crap much easier to agitate. Also, hey, they're taking colour much faster. Again, very even roasting and at about the 16 minute mark I began hearing the dainty, brittle snaps of second crack. I gave it about 10 more seconds on the heat and then dumped to the cooling rig.

Things I learned today:

1. My laser thermometer wasn't telling me entirely the truth when roasting with the air popper. Even though I would dump roasts at 440F in the air popper, checking roasts at roughly the same place past first crack and roughly the same colour today told me I was really prolly at 405-410.

2. I think the only way I could solidly hit second crack in my air popper is if I overloaded the bin and just burned the bottom beans on purpose. I'm being facetious a bit, as I know I've hit second crack on some beans, but it's hard to do, depending so much on ambient air temp, humidity, etc.

3. I won't be going back to the air popper anytime soon unless I need to roast up quick test batches. Being able to do .75 lbs of City roast in ~9 minutes and Full City to Full City + in 15-16 kinda rules.

Alleric fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 14, 2012

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Intriguing. Which heat gun are you using?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Irony.or.Death posted:

I've had good luck with my half-quart stanley thermos, don't know what other stainless lined vacuum bottles cost but it's been good to me so far.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Loucks posted:

Intriguing. Which heat gun are you using?

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Power-Products-503008-200-Watt/dp/B00004TUCV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355445858&sr=8-1&keywords=wagner+heat+gun

The Dewalts with the adjustable heat settings had me intrigued, especially with Amazon running a 25 bucks off 100 on Dewalt tools right now (would make the crazy one only 75 bucks... a bit more than the just less than crazy one), but I decided that this was a blind functional test, so went cheap (but not too cheap).

As for a further trip report, I ground and pulled a double of the previously-hated Brazillian decaf. Lord, what a difference. Intensely sweet and sharp. The sharp should back off a bit by the morning. I usually find just-roasted beans to pull very biting espresso. For giggles I poured about half an ounce of cold milk into it and again... massive difference. Sharpness subsided, sweetness did not, and waves of roasted nuts and earth. I don't think it's complex enough to stand on its own (sweet marias even said it was a good base for blends), but in milk drinks at night as a desert after dinner... not bad.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'd avoid anything steel lined personally. Stainless steel absorbs flavors really easily. Stainless steel cocktail shakers have the same issue.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

EVG posted:

Also he's been sperging a little about temperatures with his new aeropress, so maybe one of the ones that has the temp readout would be good.

Assuming he has a hot water source in the 190F range, I think a gram scale would be more helpful than a temperature-sperging kettle.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

EVG posted:

Hey I decided to go with the Hario v60 single cup pourover, but having trouble picking a kettle. They seem awfully expensive for the stovetop models but I bet he'd like the gooseneck.

Can I get something like that for $50 or less? Extra points if it's not huge, we have a tiny kitchen and storage is at a premium.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40/

Love that kettle; it's amazing. You can also do the cheap electric kettle + thermometer option, but I just suggest bucking up and going for that gooseneck. It's badass.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

EVG posted:

Holy poo poo want dat kettle in euro voltage.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

The Polish Pirate posted:

Love that kettle; it's amazing. You can also do the cheap electric kettle + thermometer option, but I just suggest bucking up and going for that gooseneck. It's badass.

Yeah, I guess so. The gooseneck would be nice for pouring and also it's nicer than watching him microwave water and then stick a thermometer in it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

EVG posted:

nicer than watching him microwave water and then stick a thermometer in it. :)

That poor, tortured man.