Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

.Z. posted:

So is there any reason to use a toddy or that bodum above? Can't I just mix up grounds with water, let it sit, then filter out the grounds?

No reason at all. When I used to work in a coffee shop we made iced coffee by dumping a bunch of ground coffee in some butchered pantyhose and tying it off and dumping it in some sort of supersized food container and leaving it in a refrigerator overnight. All you do is pull the grounds out and it's done. If you grind it coarsely enough you don't even really need to put it through a paper filter. Its important not to stretch the panthose around the grounds because it keeps them all packed together, in addition to making the holes larger, so you should leave space in there for the ground to move around and absorb water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

Please post what coffee shop that was so I can avoid it until "food grade pantyhose" has been invented.

No thanks. I actually only worked there for the summer before they opened for business, designing their menus and setup. I was curious so I asked the owner and now he uses the bags they sell at the homebrew store for hops.

So you can use those if you are afraid of potential chemicals in your nylon.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 12, 2011

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

dik-dik posted:

You're not a real coffee lover if you don't buy a work grinder :colbert:

(seriously though just do the cold concentrate thing)

An entire desk in our office is dedicated to the Baratza Encore, electric kettle, multiple Aeropresses, a french press, and a chemex.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Im going to guess. ...small IT firm?

Research lab.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

dik-dik posted:

What happened? It just doesn't close tightly anymore?

Wait these things are supposed to close tightly? Both of them that I bought didn't come close to providing a seal, much less an airtight one. I thought they were just a worthless gimmick.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Anyone know of a good, cheap source for small airtight containers that I can use to store single doses of coffee? (i.e., I weigh out the beans beforehand and store the in small jars so that when I want coffee I can just dump the jar into the grinder and go)

http://www.specialtybottle.com/

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, I tried nitro for the first time this past weekend, and after tasting it I was wondering why people were paying $5 for a procedure that just texturizes your beer and doesn't make it taste any better and makes you feel fat like you're drinking a dark beer. Do I really need a head on my coffee? Nah.

You probably don't want to use CO2 with coffee because it will make your drink even more bitter. CO2 adds bitterness and acidity to drinks, which is fine if you're talking about sugar water like cola but not fine with teas and coffee and wine unless you do another procedure like a milk wash to remove some of the tannins.

I'm going to go carbonate some Clever dripper coffee in the morning and see what happens.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

rockcity posted:

I keep meaning to get a carbonator cap so I can use my CO2 tank to try carbonating random stuff in small amounts.

I just drilled a hole in a bottlecap and stuck a $1.50 stainless automotive tire valve in there and bought a $3 tire chuck to stick on the end of a hose.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

I've got a Hario hand mill; works fine for one person twice a day. Probably adds about 60 seconds to making a cup.

The reason I will eventually replace it with a powered unit is that it gets really tedious to grind coffee for more than one person. I pick up a bag of pre-ground from a local roastery now if I know I'm getting guests.

My boss still grinds coffee twice a day every day with his Hario, almost always while standing 3 feet away from my Encore that I keep telling him to use. I can't explain this but obviously it works fine.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Is there a big difference in taste between paper and metal filters? Sorry for all the questions, but I've only ever used paper filters with the coffee maker at work. I've always used reusable ones at home.

Now that I think about it, I think reusable is better for the environment too, though I can't say that really crossed my mind until just now.

Yes, there is a big difference. You may prefer either one.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Chelb posted:

Does anyone here own both an aeropress and a Clever Coffee Dripper? I'm thinking of getting the latter but a comparison would be nice. The last time i purchased a coffee gadget (bialetti moka pot) I hated it :sweatdrop:

I own multiple of both. They both actually make pretty similar coffee the way I use them (I use the exact same grind and roughly similar steeping time for both, so that's not surprising). They are both easy to clean. Aeropress filters are cheaper.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I picked up a very cheap sale Ode gen 1 to replace my ancient Encore and immediately got something more attractive, quieter, and more convenient to use.

Could I have gone in and dealt with whatever was making the Encore grind inconsistent? Sure, but I am extremely happy with this for my (non-espresso) needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Is the truth that cold foam just doesn't taste as sweet? I'll do some syrup next time. Any advice for what you like?

Good old backup for hot weather is espresso tonic though.

The heat hydrolyzes the one lactose molecule into two sugar molecules with more net sweetness. You can just add more sugar to your desired sweetness, but I suppose you could also add lactase powder to accomplish the same reaction enzymatically for what I guess would be the closest taste to steamed milk.

No idea if that is an actual thing anyone does though. You might get a similar effect with Lactaid milk, it is noticeably a bit sweeter than normal milk for that reason.