Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Order just came in from Verve Coffee Roasters in Santa Barbara. Got a pound of their Holiday Blend. Also picked up a Hario glass dripper, Buono kettle and a pack of filters. Interested in comparing pour over to my press.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

dema posted:

Got the girding and my pouring technique all dialed in and the result is fantastic.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I like this place. They ship.

http://www.vervecoffeeroasters.com/

dema
Aug 13, 2006

You should see how many k-cup containers we go through at work. It's really stupid.

I ought to look into getting a refillable one for myself.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've had one of these pressed for a couple of years:
http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Polished-Stainless-French-33-ounce/dp/B00009ADDS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1323371486&sr=8-5

Very high quality product.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I drain it. Scoop the grounds out with a paper towel, toss them in the trash. Then, rinse with hot water. Assuming you use it every day or two and don't do anything stupid like put milk in there, you will be fine.

I went a good year without using soap or anything on mine.

/shrug

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

(both subjectively and objectively on the sperg-o-meter)

Well, drat. Interesting.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Verve is really good and now has free shipping. EDIT; have a pound of their Guatemala El Pintado coming. It's supposed to be amazing. And, for the price, it better be!

dema fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 30, 2011

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, neither have I. Not cheap but good stuff.

What are people using to measure water temp if you don't have an electric kettle?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Thermopen. It's essential in every kitchen.

Perfect, thanks. Ordered. I was looking for a more specific recommendation then "thermometer"!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

IME; with a cheap grinder, you get a lot of fine stuff, even in the coarsest setting. With a french press, that means more crap at the bottom of your cup.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Now, just need my Thermopen to come in and I'll be in Total Control.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

what kind of filter is that in the Hario?

Hario branded filters. Got them from Verve Coffee a month ago but they don't seem to carry them anymore.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Hot.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Thermometer is nice to have. With my Hario Buono kettle, it can over a minute to cool down to 200f from a boil or seconds if you take the top off.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Awesome photos. I should unbookmark this thread. Desire for an espresso machine rising.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah.

I ran out of good beans this morning. Had to break into some super burnt and oily Starbucks holiday blend beans that someone left at my house. Awful. Going to have to take apart and totally clean out my grinder before I put good beans in there tomorrow.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

I only know enough about coffee to be dangerous, but I think that starbucks' christmas blend is actually a pretty good one. Its mostly Sumatran beans, which are pretty much the only type that can withstand being roasted way-too-thoroughly by starbucks roasters.

It's for sure better then any the kcups at work.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

This was waiting for me on my door step when I came home from my ride yesterday:

It's everything I'd hoped it would be.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I know this is the equivalent of asking "where should I get pizza in New York," but do you guys have any favorite coffee places in SF near Moscone?

Bit of a walk unless you're coming from the CalTrain station but, Philz. They do pour over by the cup. I haven't tried Blue Bottle yet.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/philz-coffee-san-francisco-3

edit; this one is probably closer:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/philz-coffee-san-francisco-4

dema fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 15, 2012

dema
Aug 13, 2006

"because an accountant said so"

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Guy at the coffee shop down the street conviced me to get a pound of this stuff:

Ethiopia Worka

Good Lord. I'm totally getting strawberry in the aftertaste. Fantastic stuff.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Has anyone tried out this kettle for using with pour overs? http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV3825B-1-Liter-Electric-Kettle/dp/B005YR0GDA/ref=pd_sbs_k_1 it seems to have the same spout style that makes the buono so great, but you're not paying $50 for a non-electric, thin-sided kettle.

Amazon reviews look good. Get one and let us know how it is!

I've got a Buono at home but one of these would be nice to have in the office.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've gotten cups at their ball park location, by caltrain, a few times. Excellent.

Seems like a dumb place to buy beans though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Ordered a Baratza Encore for pour over duty. Will replace my poor warn out KitchenAid.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Super happy with my Baratza Encore. Night and day compared to my worn out KitchenAid. Way more consistent.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I use this one for weighing my grounds:
Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale
http://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115C-Digital-Multifunctional-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS/ref=sr_1_17?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1334847654&sr=1-17

Very fast and consistent. Doesn't drift like my previous kitchen scale.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

:aaa:

gorgeous.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I have a hard on for one of these:
Quickmill Silvano - http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/silvano

Don't currently have an espresso machine. Want straight espresso plus both awesome looking and tasting cappuccinos.

What other machines should I look at in the same price range? Thinking 1k is the top end. Crossland Coffee CC1 also comes up, and I like the price, but dislike the aesthetics. Willing to pay a few hundred for the Silvano on that basis alone. Hopefully this is going to be sitting in my kitchen for years.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Still, at $1.1k, think it might still be worth while over the Silvano? edit; was thinking having a PID would be nice?

As for the grinder, I'm planning on getting a Vario. Been happy with my Encore. Will relegate that to pour over duty.

dema fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 20, 2012

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Verve Ethiopian Worka is still my absolute favorite coffee ever. I keep trying other stuff then coming back to it.

In other news, I couldn't get 16oz cups to come out right from my Hario V60. Tried for over a month. Tweaked the grind, amount, technique, pre-infusion, and overall time. Either coming out weak or acidic.

Have since gone back to 8oz cups and every single one has been amazing. It's a mystery.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Ordering my espresso machine, grinder and junk on Tuesday. What size steaming pitcher should I get for 8oz double lattes? 12oz?

Currently planning on getting one of these:
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/steamingpitchersandknockboxes/newsteampitchers

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Cool, thanks Astronaut, I'll go with the 20. Had been thinking the 12 would be better since I'll be going for 6oz of steamed milk.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Having a hard time getting excited about the Baratza Vario. Think maybe I'll just scrounge up some extra change get a Super Jolly.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I've been reading about HX units for the last few day. Also watched a few videos. Having to flush them scared me at first, but I've gotten over that.

Think I'm going to call Chris Coffee on Tuesday and chat with a sales person. See if we can't figure out something that makes sense.

edit; also sounds like the HX machines are the way to go if you use a power timer?

dema fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 28, 2012

dema
Aug 13, 2006

dema posted:

Think I'm going to call Chris Coffee on Tuesday and chat with a sales person. See if we can't figure out something that makes sense.

Talked to George @ Chris Coffee this morning, we figured out something that made sense. I may have gone a little overboard. Beyond excited.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I was just going to take photos when I got here, but that's too far away.

+ E61 thermometer.

Mini E now has a digital display for setting the dose time, rather then having to use a screwdriver. Bit over priced but I couldn't get excited about anything else sub 1k.

Also got a bottomless portafilter and all that other cool junk.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I just got one of these and it's fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RF3XJ2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02

Very consistent results. Percision is 0.1 gram up to 2,000g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I use a whole lot more then 7g for an 8oz cup of coffee w/ my Hario V60.