Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I haven't timed it, but this was 18g on around mark 17. This machine operates by time, which is configurable, but I've never changed it. I think it was around 36g out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

MetaJew posted:

I had planned to buy one using proceeds from an employee referral bonus when I got a friend a job.

This is exactly how I justified my Niche.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

MetaJew posted:

And that's why I'm so mad. I had already spent this theoretical money in my head.

Yes, my friend has yet to pass their probation (end of next month) :ssh:

The mental gymnastics we undertake to buy the things that we want...

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone have one of the grinders with an ioniser on the output and does it make a difference?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BlackMK4 posted:

Yearly reminder to check yo beans before grinding

Tasting notes: Sharp with a slightly metallic finish.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Where is my money best spent next?

I have:
- Sage/Breville Bambino Plus, using IMS 16-18g basket
- Niche Zero
- Timemore Black Mirror Basic Pro scale
- Normcore sprung tamper
- Needle distribution tool and one of those wedge things
- Fellow vacuum jar

I've not yet reached the pinnacle of technique with what I have here, but I like spending money on this. What should I look to for the next thing to get? Not for now, but it's nice to have something in mind to work towards.

Is it worth looking into second hand machines that'd otherwise be £1k+ new? If so, what are the things to look out for in terms of quality or the state that they're in? Or is it worth paying more to get something in that range which is brand new?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Gunder posted:

What sort of coffee are you making with your setup, and where would you like to see improvements?

I'm making espresso mostly to have on its own at the moment, especially as I attempt to learn how to dial it in better. I want to see improvements in consistency and workflow. The reason for considering another machine is that I figure consistency beyond this point will rely on something where I can see or amend the pressure and temperature. Tell me if that's barking up the wrong tree.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Corb3t posted:

Best advice as as Bambino user: Pre-heat by pulling two shots with a pressurized portafilter into your milk pitcher with an IMS basket or two in it. Steaming the two pulled shots will also heat up the heat block, baskets, and porta filter.

To be honest this is the sort of fuckery I'd want to be able to put behind me by changing machine. It's what I mean by saying I want workflow improvements.

Corb3t posted:

I got a lot of sour shots when I first started, don't be afraid to run the Bambino 20g in with up to 50g out.

This is what I'm experiencing now so that is useful to hear. I've been going off some 'espresso compass' image that I think someone shared here a while back, but didn't realise I could be going that far.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Corb3t posted:

If you have money to blow, you could certainly pick up a Breville Dual Boiler and never have to buy another espresso machine again.

I did consider this, but the other thing driving what I'd want out of my next machine is something that'll last forever and be maintainable. One of the criticisms I see of Breville/Sage stuff is that it's not serviceable and it sacrifices interior quality for exterior polish. Also I like the simplicity of the things like the Lelit Mara mentioned before - that you're not gonna press a button, have it make an odd noise, then have to figure out error code is being shown by various flashing lights. Maybe it's not true, maybe it's just a feeling I've got.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I want to buy a Profitec Pro 400.

The difficulty is convincing my wife it is worth it. She doesn't drink coffee.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mu Zeta posted:

How important is having a knock box for an espresso setup at home.

This was discussed recently and opinions vary wildly. I've never used one, I just use a spoon to dislodge it into the food recycling.

Sweeper posted:

If you drink one coffee a day from a cafe it’s like $5, it practically pays for itself!!

I don't now I'm WFH full time and I already used that argument for my Bambino anyway! And for my home gym. I think the key will be to get her something.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's another thing to clean.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sour espressochat: I'm putting in 18g, getting out 45g in 30s, but it's still sour. This is having started out getting out 36g but at that point I want timing it. I know it's under extracted, but what's the next direction I need to go in? Finer grind so it can only get 36g through in 30s?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you both, I will try a bit finer and longer. I am using a Bambino Plus and I preheat, and I don't think it's a light roast but will check, it's an 'espresso blend' from a local roaster.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's not fair of you to be messing this fine person around when it's clear what they need next is a bripe.

https://youtu.be/tltBHjmIUJ0

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ScamWhaleHolyGrail posted:

I liked the idea of the oleato drinks from the promotions photos, like a plant based drink but creamy. I, now, cannot look away from social media because people are posting drinks with an entire layer of oil sitting on top of the ice instead of being part of the foam.

This is why I didn't like Hoffman reviewing them at the place he did. It's like reviewing McDonald's burgers in their test kitchen.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My lack of willpower is getting closer to getting the better of me and I'm likely to buy another espresso machine soon. I would be willing to spend something like up to £1300 and for that I want:

- Standard E61 group to be able to add flow control and a pressure gauge
- Some sort of temperature control - doesn't have to be to 1°
- Some sort of pressure control
- Those cool touch steam and water pipes
- Something I can learn to maintain and service myself
- Has to be available from a UK source - e.g. the Diletta Bello is not

I am not really bothered about dual boiler - I'm only ever making one drink at a time really and for the extra money it costs I don't think I'd make use of the benefit it gets me.

These are the things I've considered:

Lelit Mara X
+ Cheaper
+ Smaller
- Not standard E61
- No easy pressure adjustment

Rocket Appartamento
+ Standard E61
+ Looks nice
- No easy pressure control?
- All comparisons I see always seem to put its competitors above it, either due to same features for less money, or more features for same money
- Expensive

Profitec Pro 400 - this is what I'm most interested in
+ Standard E61
+ Reviews speak of high build quality
+ Pressure control
+ 3 selectable temperature levels
- Apparently annoying drip tray

Sage/Breville dual boiler
+ Features for price, had to consider based on that
- Plastic
- Not E61

Bellezza machines
- I know gently caress all about these but see them for sale and they're pretty cheap

Is there anything I've not thought of? Anyone care to share any more opinions?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 10, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

hypnophant posted:

I am not sure what you mean about the mara being “not a standard e61” much less why that’s a con.

Maybe I'm not understanding but their site refers to it as an "L58E" group - not knowing much about it I wasn't going to assume it'd be compatible with E61 additions (edit: Just seen that it's an E61 but without the lower drain valve and a much harder spring on what would ordinarily be the pre-infusion valve). Also doesn't have automatic pre-infusion, only manual by operating the lever such that the valve is opened but the pump doesn't engage.

Does the Lelit allow adjustment of pressure without swapping a spring or similar? To compare to the screw on top of the Profitec.

I get that these two and others are all pretty similar, but not having used one before it's stuff like the above that makes me wonder if I'd end up wanting it in the future.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 10, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Gunder posted:

What sort of espressos do you intend on making? Do you like lighter roasts? As I've stated before, I think the Lelit Mara X would be my choice.

I don't have a lot of experience, however I am not particularly into lighter roasts.

I watched the Lance Hedrick video on the Mara X and it appears to confirm what I'd already taken away from this - that there's little between that and the Profitec, there are videos strongly recommending each, and it seems it would come down to preference. One thing I don't think anyone's said is if there's a specific reason to pick the Lelit over the Profitec? I'd put it down as cheaper but that was a mistake - from what I can see they're priced the same here.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

bergeoisie posted:

Is the ECM Mechanika Slim available?

They seem to go for about £300-500 more than the Profitec/Lelit.

Bandire posted:

I haven't seen anyone directly compare them.

I had googled this but had not seen any proper comparisons. Those I found all read like they were written by someone who had chosen one and was justifying it, having not actually had proper experience with the other.

Separate question - when timing shots, am I meant to begin once it starts coming out, or once I hear the pump start running? My current Bambino Plus does a pre-infusion and I'm running it manually - by holding down the button for pre-infusion until I see the coffee start to come out, then releasing it for full pressure.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Think of me not as the guy who came into the thread asking for advice then ignored it, rather than the guy who came into the thread with an idea of what he wanted, heard and appreciated opinions, but they didn't convince him to change his mind.

I do love it, though it feels like I'm back to square one with achieving decent results - it's so, so different to what I was using before. I look forward to the process.

The most useful thing so far? The cup warmer. The Bambino purports to have one, but since it doesn't have a constantly-hot boiler it does gently caress all. It's really nice to not have to pre-warm my cups with hot water.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

So much for the amazing Profitec build quality, because one of the fittings on the boiler is leaking, tightening it didn't fix it, and it's now going back to the vendor for repair.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BrianBoitano posted:

fall in love with free glass cups you get from buying tiramisu from Costco

I thought I was the only one!

Also used to drink sherry from them. In the bath, of course.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have one of these Hario things.

It's not that good because it has to pretty much be overfilled with water to get the coffee submerged.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tortilla Maker posted:

Currently have a Delonghi Dedica and am considering moving up to a Rancilio Silvia.

At retail price, the machines are probably $400-$500 in difference. Is it that big of a step up?

Thoughts on $500 for a brand new, unboxed Silvia v5?

It's what I would have done, had I known more when I was in your position. Whilst I haven't used the Silvia, it was what I wished I'd got instead of the Sage/Breville Bambino when my Dedica broke. It is a big step up because the Dedica can't use normal filters and baskets, has that weird steam wand and ... well ... mine broke within a year so I'm guessing it's not so well made.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Steam tips - what's the difference between 2/3/4 hole ones for a given heat exchanger machine? And are the threads a standard size or does one have to get manufacturer-specific?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Steam tips - what's the difference between 2/3/4 hole ones for a given heat exchanger machine? And are the threads a standard size or does one have to get manufacturer-specific?

I found a 4-hole for my manufacturer and fitted it. loving hell it made steaming quick. Quick enough that I didn't get time to texture properly.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

sellouts posted:

I'm going to sell my black Niche Zero w/ the optional portafilter stand from Decent.

Is the stand good? I have considered one for mine but worried it might be more messy than the cup, especially if there's static.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Profitec lever started squeaking, I took the assembly apart, applied food safe silicone grease to the cam surfaces, then put it back together. And I understood what I was doing. Feeling glad I got this machine, this is why I wanted something of this ilk rather than more complicated.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The Bambino Plus has a thermoblock, does that make it a heat-exchanger?

I went from a Bambino to a Profitec Pro 400. The Bambino has some sort of coil the water passes through I believe, where the water is heated on demand for either espresso or steaming. This means there's ~3s of heat up time from the thing being powered off, but more variation in temperature if you do espresso after steaming.

Contrast with the Profitec heat exchanger where there's a [1.8L?] boiler that sits inside it which must heat to steam pressure before it can be used, taking 10-15 mins from powered off. Then there's a pipe that runs through the steam boiler through which the espresso water flows to be heated.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I couldn't be happier, though I've not had it professionally serviced yet. When I got it one of the sensors in the boiler was loose and leaking slightly and I had to send it back to get tightened - I'd have done it myself but because it's a hex shape with a wire coming out of it you need a socket that can accommodate that wire. I'll just buy those next time something like that is needed. I looked up the videos on how to service the group head yourself and I'll probably do that rather than take it to anyone, it doesn't look harder than what I already did to lubricate the cam.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Shipping it was a massive loving pain - when I first contacted the vendor they said I'd have to arrange shipping and it would have been an obscene cost. It was only when I'd persisted and spoken to several people that they ended up arranging it because it was within 10 days of purchase. It was also fortunate I'd kept all the packaging.

Prior to this I had investigated and found that I could get it serviced locally if I wanted to but I wanted the vendor to fix it on principle. That's another reason why I'm pleased with this sort of machine - that I'm not entirely bound to a vendor warranty process since they're simple things, fixable by almost anyone.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What product do folks use for cleaning/polishing the chrome on their coffee machines?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I use that to get burnt-on crud off my stainless pans but I'd worry it'd be too aggressive for this. I only want something for the regular water marks that build up. So far I've just been wiping firmly with a cloth but I don't know how long that'll remain effective.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you for the chrome cleaning suggestions, I will try vinegar.

Next up, can anyone recommend a tamping stand? I've been having the filter slide off the edge of the counter top. I'm looking for one that doesn't have all sorts of additional spaces for storage of tampers and so on, just something to hold the filter. I've had a look on Amazon and whilst there seems to be examples they are all pretty high priced, very similar to one another, with long lead times and no reviews so I am suspicious. It feels like maybe some suppliers are testing the market or just making a ridiculous mark up on things drop shipped from China.

The main requirement that I've got, which has disqualified some, is that my current filter spout goes off to the side, like so:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BrianBoitano posted:

I think this type is the smallest you can get. If I had to guess, you can't cut off the tamp storage bit since it needs the mass & surface area to not slide around.

This should accommodate the spout no problem.

For the sake of £6 on Amazon, this was what I got first but it's no good if the edge of the counter top is rounded as mine is - it just slips off.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BrianBoitano posted:

There's no tamp mat for a rounded edge counter, sorry. What about a tamp stand?

There are some good looking wooden ones, and it looks like the smallest I can find is this

E: there are wooden of that style too, thank goodness

A tamp stand was what I'd asked about above - that sort of thing looks good but I'd also want to be able to accomodate a bottomless portafilter when I get one. I was mainly asking in case anyone here has one they recommend.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That looks good, I'll find a UK one and go with that I think. I'd seen them but hearing someone's experience with it being good is what I was after.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Apparently I'm poo poo at tamping because now I've changed to a calibrated tamper my shots have become consistent in extraction time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The self levelling and alignment was why I got it, and what I think is responsible for the improvement.