Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I had my favourite flavoured coffee preparation a couple of days ago - affogato with Frangelico. I love drinking what's left at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got a bottomless portafilter and it has validated my puck prep. It's also so satisfying to watch.

Pucks are always soupy though - even though the product is consistent and balanced.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

VelociBacon posted:

Puck shouldn't be any different with a bottomless should it? I found using a puck screen made my pucks a thousand times more compacted and easy to knock out btw.

Poorly worded on my part - they've always been soupy before/after the change.

Bandire posted:

lol its just one of those things that seems like a problem, but it really isn't on its own.

This was what my googling turned up, that it's only an annoyance for knocking it out, which I don't do. I've always used a spoon and I know some here consider my backwards for that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mu Zeta posted:

There's already an invention better than a cold latte and it's called affogato.

If calories weren't a thing it'd be my sole consumption method.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

A while back I posted how I'd noticed the lever on my E61 machine had started squeaking, then how I'd lubricated it with silicone grease. After backflushing the machine just now using Caffiza, I've realised that that seems to be stripping off the grease since it immediately started squeaking again during the process.

Is this what you'd expect to happen? I'm backflushing once a month, am I just meant to be re-lubricating once a month too or am I meant to somehow be handling this differently?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sweeper posted:

The oils in the coffee generally lubricate it after using cafiza, just give it a couple of shots and it’s back to normal

I don't think that happened last time, it was squeaking more than a week or two before I used the silicone grease. It's still relatively new, maybe 3 months, don't know if that makes a difference.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I had one for a few years and liked it, it was convenient. Most accessories are available in 54mm. The price seems to have gone up recently though.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

bergeoisie posted:

I've tried a few things to unscrew the steam arm nut while not destroying the chrome finish. 1. wrapping the nut in duct tape but the wrench just shredded it 2. surrounding the wrench arms in a towel but I couldn't get a good enough grip. I can't tell if my adjustable wrench just isn't up to the task or if there's some other technique I should try before just bringing it in for service.

The best thing I found was a few layers of folded paper towel. I managed to ruin a good t-shirt trying to use that, the wrench just made holes in it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I had my first squirter this morning.

Since getting a bottomless portafilter.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This is really good, and exactly the sort of stuff I'd want to know about something where I once thought "if I had the money...". Especially the stuff regarding the tablet, which is where I'd have assumed it'd fall down.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify what something is.

I was having issues with my Profitec Pro 400 whereby the steam wand was tempremental about the angle it was at. At some angles I could open the valve and nothing would come out at all, but if I left the valve open and moved the wand around, the steam would flow as normal in some places, restricted in others, and not at all in some.

I figured something may be blocking it like some scale or something so I took off the nut downstream of the valve so I could look at the joint. The joint looked fine, it was totally clean with no scale, but there was this little piece of black plastic or hard rubber in there - I included a ring for scale since it what I had to hand:

On the side that's facing up it is rounded, flat on the other side. It is just big enough to block the hole where steam flows into the wand's ball joint but there was nothing inside the assembly that would suggest it was meant to be there. It's too small to interact with the spring that holds the ball against the nut to form a seal.

Is this just some bit of detritus that was loose elsewhere in the system and made its way down there? Or does it have a function I haven't figured out? I put it all back together without this thing and it seems to be working perfectly, full steam at all angles, no leaks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I honestly don't know - I had it so little time with it before I had to do that initial return, less than a week. I think I could have gone that long without noticing. I also think that it's unlikely this got introduced during that return, all I think they did was tighten a single joint which I'd been unable to do with a regular spanner due to access.

This thing is far smaller than any adhesive foot pad I've seen. Nevertheless, the fact that it doesn't stand out as a necessary component is what I was wanting to hear.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

bizwank posted:

Most likely a piece of the valve seat gasket (you could measure it to confirm this): https://www.cafeparts.com/Gasket-Blind-%C3%98-9x6.5-mm-Silicone/Product_Manu/18369/ECM-Manufacturer/P6000.2. You can see it on page 12 here, part of the valve assembly labeled #18: https://support.wholelattelove.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/11562258755987

This is so helpful! I'd been wondering if such a document existed since the manual that comes with it is pretty light. A large part of why I got something like this was the desire to be able to fix it myself.

It's smaller than described - 5mm diameter and 1.5mm across, also a domed shape - smooth on the flat side and smooth around most of the domed side. Looking at it I'm pretty confident it could not have been broken off a cylindrical part. I used the wand this morning for the first time and it was perfect - flow and sealing.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Maybe it's the number of cupping spoons.

My 3-cup moka pot did like 1 demitasse.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

And Frangelico or amaretto.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I saw this and now want one:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It's nifty. I like the sensation of using it, but it picks up grounds and those ends up in the gears which put me off.

From what I can tell, the $200 thing I shared doesn't have any gears. It looks well made, it comes with plenty of spare needles, but gently caress spending $200 on a WDT.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

George Wright posted:

Same. Huge mess without any perceptible differences.

Also same. Total waste of money.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I clicked that, it said £9. Went to add to cart, saw I wasn't logged in, logged in and it jumped to £13.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I want to know if I'm doing something wrong with backflushing my Profitec Pro 400. I feel like I do everything as normal - put a spoon of cafiza in the blind basket, put the filter in, run and release it a few times and then rinse it out. My problem is that every time I do this it seems to result in the lever squeaking until I disassemble and re-lubricate the cam with silicone grease. Is it expected that I'd have to re-lubricate every time I backflush?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bandire posted:

I've never really given cold brew a shot. What's a good starter rig?

I started with a bowl, a sieve, and a cloth.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I use the Hario cold brew jug now and honestly it's not much better.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I buy 1KG bags of beans, split into 250g portions, vacuum seal, then freeze. My problem is that of each batch I always seem to find that one of the four frozen bags has had its seal fail and gets wasted. I've tried arranging them in larger, flatter packages and in smaller, thicker package but neither seems to affect this. I'm also making sure that I double seal each end using my Anova sealer which already does two seals. I'm careful to make sure nothing gets placed on top of them. Is there a better way to be doing this?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Maybe that's it then. I've always used what I found on amazon - I think the brand is 'sous vide tools'. I've used it for years but this is the only application where I've had failures - but it's also the thing I store longest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have the same problem after backflushing, it's meant to lubricate with the oil in the coffee but it hasn't after a shot a day for 2 weeks. So when I backflush I take the lever off and lubricate the cam with food safe silicone grease.