Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

The Polish Pirate posted:

We've had a Clover machine at work, and drat that thing is a beautiful piece of machinery. It also makes a really nice cup of coffee.

However, I've now been led astray from the Clover with the most recent toy that we obtained, The Bunn Trifecta: http://coffeegeek.com/resources/noteworthy/trifecta
Dear god that thing makes an amazing cup of coffee. I've been away from work for nearly a week and I can't wait to get back to that sweet sweet coffee.

Your workplace has a Clover machine and a Trifecta? :drat: Must be either a drat fancy coffeeshop or an office with a coffee-mad CEO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Friend wants me to reccomend him a good burr grinder under $100. Trying to remember which refurbished one is the best. Last page had some gripes about the Baratza, and the Rancillo Rocky is pricier than I remember. What else is there? Capresso Infinity? That Starbucks one? Something else that isnt a Hario hand mill?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

bizwank posted:

Got to play with the Decent Coffee prototype at Portland's Coffee Fest this weekend and I have to say, those guys know what they're doing and I'm pretty excited to see the finished product. Got me thinking about upgrading our shop machine...

Wow. Had no idea what the Decent Coffee machine was, looked it up. Tech startup that uses computer control to regulate temperature/pressure without needing a boiler? Sounds like the second iteration of that PID-Espresso Machine Kickstarter that fizzled away two-three years ago. I go to check that KS page for laughs, and lo and behold!

e: Ahahaha The $300-$400 pledged to that KS now gives you a $200 off coupon for Decent Coffee's machine, which is $1,000 at the cheapest. 10/10

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 28, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I'm sitting in a coffee shop, drinking a cup of pour over, and all I can hear in my head is the stoner pour talking.

That loving video

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Subways Jared posted:

I have some questions about the french press tool I've been using.

I put in 4 tablespoons of folgers. I boil my water, and pour it on top of the grounds. I let the full french press cylinder "steep" for about 1 min. before I put the top on and push the plunger down to the bottom. After that I pour my coffee. The whole process after I pour the boiling water into the cylinder lasts about 2 min.

Is that long enough for the french press to do its job and properly brew the coffee?

I maybe getting a tolerance, or I maybe just doing this wrong. But it feels like the coffee isn't really doing its job, like it might not have had long enough to brew before I drink it to activate?

Do I need to let the water/grounds steep longer before I plunge? Do I need to let the coffee brew longer post-plunging? Thank you for any help in making my morning perkier!

Normal French Press coffee steeps for around five minutes, but is also a coarser grind than usual. Assuming your Folgers is normal drip coffee grind, try 4 minutes but be prepared to adjust by 30 seconds either way to taste. Once you press it, you're done and free to pour it all. Also, how big is your coffee mug? Four tablespoons is a LOT of coffee. Usually people suggest 1-1.5 tbsp per 8oz cup

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

What are some of the higher quality coffee pods? I realize that's an oxymoron for the most part, but which would make a better gift?

I remember hearing good things about San Francisco Bay coffee pods, particularly their Fog Chaser dark roast. It may just have been about their gimmick (No plastic undercups, so they'll need a resealable airtight storage solution when opened)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

porktree posted:

Barista's hate it

That's just the stoner pour talking.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

My brother just got an electric gooseneck kettle and a chemex brewer. I sent him a link to that stumptown stoner pour video.

He has not responded back yet :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I want to make cappuccinos at home- normally I’m using my stainless steel French press. I buy my coffee from the store in whole bean form and grind it with a blade grinder. I normally get the fair trade stuff because I think it tastes better, but I’ve been considering looking for a local roaster.

From what I’ve read in this thread I feel like an absolute coffee layperson, so I’m wondering if one of the lovely espresso machines at Target would be enough for me. I definitely don’t have $2000 for a new grinder, double boiler, etc.

If I’ve never tasted the really good stuff, should it matter I don’t have more than bottom-tier gear? I mean, I don’t want to get into a situation where I’m having to re-but cheap poo poo because it keeps breaking, but the whole espresso machine market is intimidating as gently caress so I don’t even know where to start.

Help me coffee gods

I mean by buying/grinding your own beans and using a french press, you're already a step up. Skip the espresso machine, and save up for a Good (Burr) Coffee Grinder, be it either a hand-grinder or an electric. The benefit is twofold: blade grinders are harsher on beans (more friction/heat to get them down to size) which can have a minor effect on taste, but more importantly, consistency. A blade grinder gets you a hodgepodge of varying bean pieces and dust, a burr grinder keeps things much more uniform and less dusty.

For a french press, this has two nice benefits: Less dust means a little less sludge and bite, but again and more importantly: Consistency means easier adjustment to taste. Brew a little too strong or weak? Grind everything a little finer/coarser next time and see how it is.

In general, this will be a decent step up for your current coffee setup/quality with room to grow further in the future.

In terms of home cappuccino, which was your actual/original question, you can get an electric or stovetop milk steamer/frother for 80-100 bucks to get you that hot dense milkfoam you crave. That, combined with some strong french press brew (or dropping another 20-40 on a Moka Pot for stovetop "espresso") will get you some decent quality caffeinated goodness without going full home hobby barista. But I strongly suggest a nicer grinder first.