Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bob_McBob posted:

Shop around for better shipping deals. Order in larger amounts, tape over the bag valves and freeze most of them, then remove from the freezer a bag at a time as required.

What? No.

Buying MORE and sitting on it is the exact opposite of what he should do.

Freezing coffee is not magic. It'll still be stale.

If you're not a big quantity drinker, try buying from a local roaster. You can get smaller quantities and it'll be fresher than having something shipped.

The only academic research that has ever demonstrated any benefit of freezing involved -40F temperatures and vacuum-sealing. And still, it's a perishable product that has a 10-15 day shelf life. It's also not particularly expensive. Freezing is a waste.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

nwin posted:

I just saw on the news that apparently Starbucks has acquired some of this and is charging $7/cup. Any idea how much they burn it though? :iiam:

All the way, I'm sure.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

geetee posted:

Do I want to get a coffee roaster for Christmas? I'm getting tired of being raped on shipping every time I buy a bag of beans. I can't drink enough to double up on orders before going stale.

If you want to start homeroasting, realize that it is as much a hobby, as it is a chore, as it is a method of creating delicious coffee.

I roast 1/3 cup each time, which gives me enough coffee for two mornings of my household consumption. That means I'd have to roast every other day to keep myself set. If you drink even less, you can get away with less often.

What I end up doing is bulk roasting on the weekend, giving myself enough for the next week+, depending on how lazy I am that day.

For you, that'd probably be good: Roast a few times in a row on any given day, and you can roast yourself the exact amount you'll drink before they get stale.

I saw you mentioned concerns about smoke: I don't know how smoky popcorn poppers are, but I run a FreshRoast SR500 and it's not "smoky" so to say, there's not a grey cloud through my house, but there's a strong aroma and it will set off my kitchen fire alarm.

Good luck!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

inferis posted:

Journalist compares Nespresso with local coffee and espresso and uses beans that were ground four days before. http://www.aeonmagazine.com/being-human/julian-baggini-coffee-artisans/

People are desperate to prove that poo poo instant machines are superior to us sperglords who care about freshness and taste.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Does it include an actual geisha? :catstare:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Anything you buy in a K-Cup is already stale. It also costs $50/lb.

But hey, you can obviously afford it since you should be shortly out $30 in forums accounts.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 27, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Or like 90% of the population he fills it with enough flavored non-dairy creamer that it becomes mostly not coffee.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Doh004 posted:

To move the subject off that tangent, am I the only one who sometimes gets a hankering for a sweet creamy "coffee"? That's how I started drinking coffee, and have since moved on to drinking it all black, but sometimes it'd be great to say gently caress it and drink a liquid dessert.

I drink Starbucks sugarmilk poo poo all the time. It's just different.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Have they invented a way for pods to contain not-stale pre-ground coffee yet?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Not really, unless you happen upon a poorly-made one for some reason. Most of the difference between a 'good' one and a 'really good' will be marginal or placebo.

Bonavita's kettles come highly regarded -- I'd definitely pick one up.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Archer2338 posted:

For those of you roasting with a Popper, how bad is the smoke? I live in an apartment/dorm (depending on time of the year) and so while I would love to roast my own coffee, the smoke is probably a problem. Back home, I have a kitchen hood, but no real place outside to roast.

I may have posted this in the last thread, but it's less "smoke" and more "smell". Not visible grey clouds, just a haze in the air and a vague scent of burning. It'll set off your smoke alarms, probably, but I just open my kitchen window and it's fine after a few minutes.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Technivorm Moccamaster is the Cadillac of drip brewers. Enjoy it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Saint Darwin posted:

A friend of my girlfriend is buying a $180 grinder. I'm trying to find out what the hell he's doing but is there any reason to buy one that costs more than $70?

Yes. Read the thread. Try the OP.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Seconding, thirding, fourthing the Thermapen. $90 well spent.

For cheaper, ThermoWorks has a cheaper version at $19: RT600C Super-fast Water-resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer.

I wouldn't buy anything not from ThermoWorks.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

OP is still very accurate.

The only 'new contender' in drip is the Bonavita at about $150. Technivorm still wins.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I haven't heard of the BraZen. I'm interested, though. Are there any technical reviews available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I live near where they make Kopi Luwak and I just managed to pick up a bag super cheap. It's pre-ground. Any tips on preparing it? I don't have an espresso machine or anything unfortunately (just a pour over), but I want to do my super-classy cat poo poo hipster coffee justice.

It's already stale, sorry.