Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

betterinsodapop posted:

The Baratza Virtuoso sucks. I had it for maybe a year, during which it wasn't heavily used or abused, and it has already crapped otu. I've been dealing with Baratza support, doing their troubleshooting, and now they want me to take the thing completely apart to diagnose it. I sort of just expected them to say "Just ship it to us, we'll fix it." Nope, they want me to completely disassemble the burr assembly, open the case, do this, that, and the other thing. I'm not a tech. I just want to drink coffee.

So fed up. I might as well buy a Hario manual grinder.

Wow, this type of attitude (from the company) is what prevents them from going from good to great. Shame as they seem to make a good product. If they continue insisting that customers transform themselves into burr grinder techs when their warranted product fails, they will never breakthrough to a world class organization.

Then again, their website design and flow indicates they are just fine being a small local company. Confusing as the Starbucks branding and payday must have injected a ton of money into their organization.

I'll probably buy the refurb Starbucks one as it seems to be a good grinder, but if they give me the "take it apart" line if something goes wrong, I will never purchase from them ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So Baratza has three refurbs in stock right now:

Maestro -$70
Maestro Plus - $95
Starbuck version - $69

Which one should I pull the trigger on?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

PainBreak posted:

You're best off using a toddy maker, and cold brewing. I use this one, which is essentially a giant french press:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-French-Press-Coffeemaker-51-Ounce/dp/B003NG922U

By the way, if you are in the US, you may be able to find this model in the clearance section at Home Goods. I think it's $8.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

mattdev posted:

Also, people are hyping the new Breville Dual Boiler since it is quite a steal for the price.

http://www.brevilleusa.com/beverages/espresso/dual-boiler-espresso.html
Any other suggestions?
Wow, that Breville looks great. Will it really be up to par or will it just be yet another Made in China kitchen appliance?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

AriTheDog posted:

I'd bet there's a great local coffee shop or two in the Seattle area. Maybe someone from this thread is in Seattle?

I'm not from Seattle (live in Utah) but I travel there every couple of weeks for work. Typically stay in Pioneer Square and I MUST recommend Trabant at 602 S. 2nd Ave. They also have a location in the University District.

I will say, without hesitation, that the espresso shots that place pulls are simply incredible. So creamy and rich with massively complex flavors. Beats anything I've ever put in my mouth.

They also use the Clover machine for coffee (you know, the machine that Howard Shultz bought - the company - because it was the "best cup of coffee he'd ever tasted").

Highly recommend that place. It's a religious experience when I'm staying in Seattle. Go there. Tomorrow morning.

http://www.trabantcoffee.com/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Basically, start small and work your way up.

This. I used to be okay with Mr. Coffee and Folgers. Gradually I acquired a greater appreciation for coffee and now have all kinds of gadgets for coffee (french press, drip, aeropress, burr grinder) and am looking at buying a $1,000 espresso machine in the future.

It can get expensive chasing that perfect home brewed cup/shot, but it's cheaper than drugs.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
What "number" should I put my Baratza (starbucks version) grinder on for an Aeropress?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

depends on how it's calibrated. That is actually pretty popular mod to do in order to use a maestro for espresso grinding, you can change the baseline closeness of the burrs by sacrificing the coarse end.

Anyway, what "number" you should put a grinder on for anything is kind of a loaded question. It depends on the coffee, it depends on the calibration of the machine as mentioned, it depends on your personal preference within the "proper" extraction range. I would start around the medium range of whatever you would consider "fine" and work around that. Under extracted? go finer, and vice versa.

Thanks. I know there isn't a "use this number and this number only" rule, but I am new to the grinder and have only used on the coarsest setting (for a French Press). I just wasn't sure if it was more towards espresso or coarse for the Aeropress.

I'll monkey with it in the AM. Thanks.

Edit: engrish

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 2, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Quick! Someone talk me out of this so my wife doesn't divorce me:

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES900XL-Automatic-Espresso-Machine/dp/B005I722YC/

Reviews seem to be glowing. Would this machine be a wise top-end investment for a drat good shot of espresso?

Is it overkill for a morning coffee ritual for a one-person household? (wife doesn't like coffee)

Yes, it's expensive and yes I have Amazon gift cards to burn, so,

Edit: or would the kickstart link be a much more logical option for a great fraction of the cost?

Edit2: Uh-oh. There's an open box sold my warehousedeals for $1000. I may be in...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 15, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

The Breville dual boiler machine is certainly an interesting development. I am not sure how I feel about buying an espresso machine that's designed as a consumer appliance. I like that most traditional espresso machines in that price range are designed with off-the-shelf components, so you can pretty much use and service them indefinitely. If my current machine is maintained, I will happily be pulling shots with it in 30 years, unless I am a dumbass and upgrade more. Not so sure about the Breville.

There are lots of excellent machines at the $1200 level, so you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to the Breville. Do you want to be able to make a lot of milk drinks, or even a couple milk drinks in a row? Not being able to steam and pull shots at the same time is a serious limitation of cheaper machines (including the Kickstarter project).

Have you budgeted several hundred more for at least a Baratza Vario?
I have the Baratza Starbucks version grinder that I will need to hack for espresso.

I also have the Breville machine in my cart and the price is down to $298 shipped overnight after my credits.

I may not have a choice in the matter...about to buy it now...

Edit: just bought it. I could not reason myself away at this price-point.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 15, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

No, you'll need to get a better grinder, or you just wasted a bunch of money. Once you are beyond the steam toy level, the grinder is by far the most important piece of equipment, not the espresso machine itself. You should be looking at at least a Baratza Vario.

Hmm. I'm looking at spending an additional $360 for a refurb (when they are back in stock).

Maybe I should have thought this through more. I just couldn't resist at the price...

Thinking...

Edit: I canceled it. Going to think more about if it's really something I want...at that price, it's hard to resist though.

Is the Breville grinder worth a drat? Or is the Vario the only real choice?

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BCG800XL-Smart-Grinder/dp/B0043EWFAM/

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 15, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Where will you be getting your coffee?

Open to suggestions. Although I did cancel this order, I will eventually step up to a quality machine. Suggestions on a machine are also welcome.

I just want to be able to pull a high-quality shot at home. I'm tired of lovely espresso (have had cheaper machines in the past and hated them).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

I know it might seem backwards to you, but you should be considering the grinder before the machine. The Vario is probably the best choice on the market for home espresso use, and you will not see any significant improvement in shot quality until you get to the $1000+ level (where the grinders are also significantly less practical at home).

I am not sure how serious you are about espresso. With a semi-automatic machine you will have to put some time into learning how to pull shots and steam milk properly. It's not just a matter of pushing a button and getting a drink. However, mid-level machines like the Breville or this new $995 E61 HX machine tend to be significantly more forgiving than cheaper machines. Do you want to make espresso, or are you going to be making girly lattes exclusively?

95% Espresso and the occasional latte.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The wife approved.

I'm going to re-order and get the Breville Smart Grinder to go along with it.

$468 for both. Cannot resist. If the Breville grinder turns out to suck, I'll just get the Baratza.

This review (vs. the Vario) suggests the Breville will be fine:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1M9LZAJUBH65N/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

:eng99:

Why? Is the Breville grinder really junk?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks rockcity. Amazon ended up loving with the open box price and delivery dates so I didn't buy either.

I'll sit on the sidelines until I find a better machine for my needs. Thanks for the recommendation.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I was getting average to bitter taste from my aeropress. Decided to dial my Baratza (Starbucks version) to the highest (just under drip setting) "espresso" setting and ground away.

Boiled water, measured with thermopen fo 203 degrees, poured into aeropress. Stirred, waited 4 minutes then pressed into cup. Re-boiled water to 203, made an americano.

Tasted great. I think my issue was my grind was too coarse.

For anyone with bitter aeropress coffee, try a smaller grind. Worked here although I may try even finer tomorrow.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So after passing on the Breville machine, I'm back on the hunt for a good combo for daily high-quality espresso.

Would this be a good bet? Under a grand, no tax free shipping. Brand new also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Espresso-Maker-Rancilio-Silvia-Rocky-doser-Grinder-/370387820909

Edit: Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder combo. $978 shipped.

I could even use the "make offer" and see what happens. :v: Any suggested realistic offers I should send the seller's way?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 26, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

The Vario is a better espresso grinder.

Oh, you again.... :crossarms:

All kidding aside, I really appreciate your advice. I'll search around for a Vario.

Hey, I'm a cheapskate and am looking to do this with a "wife approved" budget, which I'm currently over.....

Edit: Any difference between the Vario and the Vario W?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 26, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

A refurb Vario is $360 here. The difference between the Vario and Vario-W is that the W grinds by weight into a bin (which you then transfer to the portafilter basket), while the Vario grinds by time directly into the basket. The W is a bit more expensive. Read the descriptions on Baratza's site.

Thanks. They are currently out of stock on the refurbs, so I'll keep checking.

So it's safe to say the regular Vario is probably the best bet?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Alright. I think I've found what will work for me.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Rancilio-Silvia-and-Grinder-Package-p/scg14032-06.htm

Seems to be a good package deal with some goodies.

Worth $1,078 for a superb shot of morning espresso?

Also, at checkout, there is a coupon code field. Naturally this kicks in my google coupon code search instinct, which I have found none.

Anyone have one that works? I'm a cheapskate.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is this a ridiculous idea for a home setup?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=18586864&cat=&lpid=&search=espresso

Edit: It probably is as it looks like it needs to be connected to a water source. Oh well.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 29, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Please just order the Silvia and Vario from SCG. Budget for a few extra accessories like a knock box, towels, $5 eBay digital scale, and preferably a bottomless portafilter if you want to save yourself some frustration.

Thanks. I know my posts and quandaries are becoming annoying*. I just want to get the best possible setup for my money since I plan on using it for many, many years.

* Once I receive whatever I decide on, I can guarantee I will have more questions but will try to keep them non-annoying.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just ordered the Rancilio and Vario combo from Seattlecoffeegear.

I'll shut up for a while, at least until it arrives...

Ok, edit with a question. What's the general consensus on the best roaster that ships? I'm looking for less-oily beans that have that smooth chocolaty taste that great espresso consists of.

Any online shops you guys recommend? I've seen several suggestions, but none have been mentioned as the top roaster.

Thanks.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 30, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dema posted:

Verve is really good and now has free shipping. EDIT; have a pound of their Guatemala El Pintado coming. It's supposed to be amazing. And, for the price, it better be!

Giving this a try as well. Thanks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dema posted:

Yeah, neither have I. Not cheap but good stuff.

What are people using to measure water temp if you don't have an electric kettle?

Thermopen. It's essential in every kitchen.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I think they officially update on Fridays?

Usually Fridays yes. For anyone interested I will be selling my Starbucks branded Maestro soon as my Vario will arrive today. I got the Maestro from Baratza's refurbished store 2 months ago and it's perfect. If interested PM although it's heavy and may be easier to sell locally.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
New setup from Seattlecoffeegear.com is here!

I've dialed in my Vario to pull a pretty drat good shot. Had a few now, hope I can sleep...looking forward to the AM though!

Edit: The Vario is made in Taiwan...thought these things were made in Germany?? Cheap labor FTW I suppose....

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 6, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

mattdev posted:

Sup, tamper, espresso machine, grinder and scale (not pictured) buddy?

Niiiice. You just reminded me I need a knock box. Just curious what are your Vario settings for espresso? I've been using about 4 notches up from the bottom on the left and one down from the top on the right. Timing is about 11 seconds for a double shot grind. Pulls in about 30 seconds but is pretty blonde the whole time. I'm sure I'll get better but as it is now the shots are decent just not great.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wait are you saying that the shot is pulled in 11 seconds or 30 seconds?

Grind time 11 shot time 30. My bad.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So my Rancillo Silvia (brand new from Seattle Coffee Gear) only registers 182 degrees at its hottest point when dispensing water. I've tried steam and hot water delivery ... same thing. If I "temp surf" by waiting 30 seconds after the book light goes out the water comes out at 164 degrees.

Does this sound right? I'm measuring with a thermapen and its dead on accurate.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Measuring with a Thermapen how?
By placing it in the water as its dripping from the machine into a glass (no handle attached). I can't get it to go any hotter at all. All the certifications on the sheet said passed. Strange. Maybe I'll ring Seattle Coffee Gear as I'm certain I should be at least at 200 degrees at some point, no? Hence the purpose of "temp surfing, etc."

Fake edit: for Sylvia owners, will you please test the water temp one second after the light goes off as it drips into a glass with no portafilter attached and let me know how hot it is? I'm wondering if this is why my espresso is sour after playing with all settings on my Vario, etc. Thanks.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 17, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

El Disco posted:

Wait, so the steam wand only dispenses water at 182 degrees? That sounds like a big problem.

Spoke with SCG and they said the machine really needs a good 30 minutes to completely heat up. I was measuring the temp after the boiler light went off (which goes away after really about 2-3 minutes). When I get back West this week I'll try it out...

She said it's normal for those temps. I'll give it a go when I get back from the NE.

Thanks

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Are there any Utah goons ITT? I need a recommendation for a good local roaster (Salt Lake City) as my timing with mail order is terrible.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Can anyone post some guidelines on cold brewing coffee? I looked it up a while back found some wildly varying water-coffee ratios, 4:1, 1:1, etc.

I was told by some coffee geek who owns a shop in SLC the best ratio (for pourover anyway) is 17:1 (water:coffee). I use 23 grams of coffee to 340 grams of water - not exact math but it tastes fine to me (Hario pourover).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just picked this up from Office Max ($60 on clearance). Before I tear into it, are the "consumer-commercial" Bunns any good? Just looking for a basic maker to brew traditional coffee (have a Hario I use mostly). Reviews say this is a pretty good machine, but some say the temps aren't the stated "200 degrees" that Bunn claims. Edit: My house is at 4,600 feed above sea level. The manual says if you live above 4,500 feet, you need a different model (with a "D" designation). Since water boils at a lower temp at high altitudes, does this mean I may actually get 200 degrees out of this machine? I would think the "low altitude" machine at a higher altitude will have hotter water, no?

Edit2: Just decided to try it out. I know this may be sacrilege to the resident coffee elitists, but it makes a drat good cup of coffee. Like diner good (you know what I mean). Nothing fancy, just a good cup. I'm thrilled for what I paid for it. After my wife finished rolling her eyes at (yet) another coffee gadget, she agrees it's a really good cup o'joe. So, it isn't fancy but it works very well in my experience.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 6, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

PainBreak posted:

So... My wife made me aware of this commercial yesterday. What in the gently caress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpC39-yITdA

So now Maxwell House drinkers are now all arrogant assholes.

Outstanding message you got there CEO. Grandma will love this angle!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

that Vai sound posted:

Hey, Seattle folks. Does Trabant automatically put milk in the coffee?
I go to the one on 2nd a lot and have never had milk added. I think it's just so creamy and tasty it seems like they do. It's good stuff.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is it this model?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yattay/6247097181/

Cause it looks like people use it on electric coil stoves all the time...?

FWIW, I have one of these exact models and use it on gas all the time (for iced tea). Had an old family hand-me-down that my wife dropped, so we got another on eBay.

The glass is very strong and I can't imagine using it on coils being a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I just saw an infomercial for an aeropress knockoff that...wait for it...uses K-Cups as the coffee source. Thankfully, the website on the commercial doesn't load. Maybe this will dissuade people from buying.

In all seriousness, why the hell was this thing even invented? Jesus.
:ughh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!