Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party
If you live in or close to Louisville, KY, then I highly recommend Sunergos Coffee for your bean needs. They also will ship to other locations in case you aren't local.

Has anyone done business with Coffee Shop of Horrors? They look interesting, but I wasn't sure if it was good coffee or just a gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

lags posted:

If you're not making espresso, you don't really have to.

If you're currently using pre-ground coffee, the best thing you can do is buy whole beans and grind them yourself. If that's with a whirly-blade, then so be it, you're still making a huge step. But yes, this will make a very inconsistent grind that's best used with a paper filter lest you get sludge.

"Better" coffee is not a $70 grinder entry-barrier away. A $9 whirly blade and pourover setup with fresh beans will still put you on the right track, head and shoulders above where you were. And when you have the bug and upgrade to a burr grinder, you now have what every kitchen needs anyway - a weedspice grinder.

Heck, even the whirly-blade grinder in a cheap drip pot is a vast improvement taste-wise over most pre-ground coffee. I highly recommend it to anyone that is wondering if it's worth the investment.

You can start inexpensive, avoid Starbucks beans, and start finding a type of coffee you really enjoy.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Jubala Village Coffee in north Raleigh, NC is a great little shop. They specialize in pour over and French press made to order coffees, and the guys can discuss the characteristics of the beans they use and where they came from. Oh, they also serve waffles all day long. :3:

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

that Vai sound posted:

I've never drank coffee before, but I'd like to give it a try. I'm not looking to make it a daily habit because of the cost and because I don't like too much caffeine. However, I'm interested in expanding my palette and trying something new.

That said, how should I get started? I live near Seattle, so there's plenty of options. Getting something from Tully's or Starbucks would be easiest, but I don't know if that would help me come to appreciate coffee's flavor. Should I start with drip coffee or go with something like a cafe mocha?

I would honestly avoid Starbucks, though some stores might be different than others. The last time I had drip coffee from them it tasted charred. :smith:

I would start out with a light to medium roast since the taste is smoother. Finding a shop that roasts their own beans might be a plus because hopefully then they can discuss the coffees they have and offer you any suggestions on what to try.

I like a good black & white too. :3:

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nobody? Anybody?

Now you've got me curious about the coffee! Which one of them was it? I'd love to give it a try.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

A nice cup of hot light to medium roast Ethiopian coffee is so good. I'm about to run out of my Idido, and that makes me sad since I no longer can get it locally.

Has anyone tried Civet coffee? It's pretty expensive, which I guess is understandable if I understand how it's obtained. Is it worth it, or is it just a gimmick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Lazaruise posted:

What is the best generic brand of coffee, like folgers or maxwell house? Normally I wouldn't ever buy these but I'm getting deployed soon and all I'll have access too is the basic brands I fear. So I just want to get the most bang for my lovely buck.

I'm partial to Community Coffee and Mello Joy, but these are regional "generics" so I guess they really wouldn't count for what you're looking for. Still good for what they are.