Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I AM HERE TO CHAT CHAT CHATTTTTT ABOUT COFFEE MAKERS BITCHES <looks around nervously>

Okay so we have one of these guys:

Dual boilers. It's pretty great and what got me drinking coffee in the first place. I am not savvy enough to know if it makes coffee worse than some of these other options but I really like it. And I mean, it grinds and brews the coffee all in about 30 seconds! So worth it.

I'm gonna set the bf up with a roasting kit for Christmas. I hope he doesn't read this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Comic posted:

That sounds interesting, and is a huge step up from my current setup which has started to show me how bad it truly was as I've grown in understanding. About how much did it cost/where can one get one?

I think the only issue for me would be if it just used a blade to grind it. I'd sooner spend money on a Baratza and some other solution.

It uses a low-speed conical burr grinder. There is a used one going for $420 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/n1Bdmr

I don't know what the other Gaggias are like, but it seems like a safe enough brand. I really, really like this one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

If you live in or close to Louisville, KY, then I highly recommend Sunergos Coffee for your bean needs. They also will ship to other locations in case you aren't local.

Has anyone done business with Coffee Shop of Horrors? They look interesting, but I wasn't sure if it was good coffee or just a gimmick.

Semiclose to Louisville is Cincinnati's Coffee Emporium. They just redesigned the site so the shop is currently down, but they'll bring it back. They are a local favorite, and actually keep their roasterie downtown.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

Sorry if this has been asked recently, but what's everyones favorite k-cup?

If you like your machine and don’t want to get something different, buy a reusable cup and better coffee. If you like espresso drinks, the Nespresso is honestly pretty good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Using isolation while sick to get seriousish about roasting. Yesterday did a full city of an espresso blend of beans, and a full city+, maybe a bit over, of some decaf sumatras. The latter came out okay; darker than I wanted and about as flavourful as any standard mass-produced coffee...which means I think it's pretty good for decaf.

The espresso blend is good but slightly astringent on the finish. Obviously it's only been a day since roasting, so we'll try it again tomorrow and see if I need to just use a lesser extraction profile.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

We have the breville kettle since my SO is a tea person and he likes it a lot; I mostly just use the boil feature.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MasterControl posted:

It’s cool reading all the home roasters stocking up. If this gets you more into home roasting and have some questions about stuff I’ve had a bit of time off as we structure the business to minimize my contact with the outside world. :goonsay:

Not that I’m tryna drop in biz talk, just roasting stuff. Sm has had some fun coffees the past year. I loved the Uganda dry process they bought and had in stock like a week. Bought their Sulawesi honey because I’m sick of earth indo coffees and was hoping for something less dirt tasting.

just talk about beans u like pls

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Managed to roast a few decafs now that taste at least as good as a standard grocery store-bought can of coffee. Not exactly a high bar, but honestly still some of the best decafs I’ve had.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

In a desperate coffee moment I accidentally had decaf on Monday.

From a Keurig.

At least the coronavirus wouldn't haunt me like the memory of that coffee will.

I've really been diving into decafs because I like drinking coffee all day, and while caffeine doesn't really affect me too much in either direction I figure I could probably cut back, at least in the afternoon.

Something I've noticed; there seem to be two kinds of decaf when you buy it pre-roasted, even if both are using a water process. Neither will taste exactly right, of course, but one will look and smell mostly like coffee, and the other will be a completely wrong colour. Like if you took coffee and applies a cold photoshop filter to it to remove all the warm tones. Those, in my opinion, tend to be the worst.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tambreet posted:

My wife has been trying a bunch of fancier decafs since she cut out caffeine. The best one she's found so far was this one from Velodrome. Ipsento's was disappointing.

Nice! I do like guatemalan coffees in general; the last decaf I roasted was also guatemalan and was the best decaf we've tried, yet. Works as espresso or drip, but I tend to mostly drip it and then just drink a pot of coffee in the afternoon/evening.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Roasted a bunch of coffee tests today. A blend, some Columbian, some Kenyan, and this lovely Sumatra mandheling swiss water decaf. Bit of an astringent finish, no surprise since I roasted it just this morning. Honestly, a good cup, though. Not even “good for decaf”, just totally drinkable coffee.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Abner Assington posted:

So with shelter-in-place orders and having to work from home, I'm in a place where I want to upgrade my coffee setup significantly. We have a pretty rad La Marzocco machine at work (one of the owners used to own a coffee shop). Suffice to say I was used to making lattes and cortados to my heart's content. Now I have a dog poo poo Hamilton Beach drip with trash grocery coffee. Is Breville considered a solid mid-range home espresso machine?

edit: Now that I'm back on my computer, this is what I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH9QWOU/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A11LD24OPQBDML&psc=1

Im sure some will hate on it, but with some experimentation that machine will make superb and fairly consistent espresso. Decalcify it weekly, run the cleaning cycle at least monthly. I recommend getting a separate grinder at some point, mostly so you can try separate beans without having to empty your grinder. You could alternately, I suppose, buy the breville without the grinder and get a nice grinder separately, but eh.

Anyway I bought that unit at an auction almost brand new as a backup and I’ve enjoyed it.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 29, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bizwank posted:

Get the identical Delonghi model instead if you're committed to that form-factor (semi-auto with attached grinder), you'll actually be able to get parts/service for it and it should last quite a bit longer as well. How frequently you should be descaling depends on the hardness of the water you're putting in it, but nobody should be doing it weekly. 3-4 times a year is usually sufficient, and if you have horribly hard tap water use bottled instead.

If you you want to be able to upgrade components as you go then get a separate grinder (Baratza has many options) and a Gaggia Classic. Or spend a little more and get a Rancilio Silvia which will will give you the option to add a PID down the road for better temp control.

3 times a year is absolutely not often enough if you have at all hard water. It’s ruinous on some of these machines. It also, obviously, depends on just how often you run them. I brought it up because the breville has a finicky solenoid in it. A citric acid rinse is easy and takes five minutes.

Also this is why people get frustrated with advice threads. “No don’t get this one easy-to-use thing, get these two other things that together cost twice as much.”

The person has access to a good machine at work and presumably knows how to use it so they aren’t entirely unawares. Anyway I stand by the idea that the breville is generally a fine machine but every model above it is overpriced.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bizwank posted:

I clearly qualified my advice with "usually sufficient", which it is for the most part based on what I've observed within the machines shipped into my shop over the last decade. I then followed that with advice for what to do if you have very hard water; in the long run, using bottled/treated water instead of hard water and frequent descaling is less expensive and also easier on the machine internals (especially those with aluminum boilers). This covers most use cases in the US; everyone should do a water hardness at home to determine their own descaling regimen. If you're descaling weekly you're wasting your time.

A combo grinder/brewer machine is no easier to use than a separate grinder and machine, they are in fact the same components, just separated. The user still has to go through the same motions and pay attention to the same things in order to produce an adequate shot. A Gaggia Classic is around $450, and Baratza grinders start at $120; even a higher-end grinder can still come in under or at the same price as the linked Breville. The Delonghi I suggested is all of $100 more, and is of much better build quality and easily repairable so it should end up costing less due to increased longevity. Of course if you had bothered to do even a smidgen of research on any of the advice I gave instead of just getting defensive because someone offered advice that was different from yours, you would already know all of that.

I was mostly responding to the suggestion of the rancilio, which is more than a little more, especially considering you need a decent grinder on top of it. But sure, be butt hurt because someone thought your advice was unnecessarily pretentious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bizwank posted:

There's nothing "pretentious" about the Silvia, and it is in fact only "a little more" then the Breville at ~$850 including a grinder, for a machine that can last decades (vs. 3-5 years for the average Breville). My advice is purely factual and based on a decade of experience repairing nearly every home machine that's ever been available for sale in the US. Your advice is based on the one machine you own. I'm sorry you find it necessary to resort to ad hominom attacks, but I'm simply trying to help a stranger navigate the world of home espresso using the knowledge at my disposal.

I’m happy to stand corrected if it’s that cheap in the states. It’s substantially more expensive not even counting a grinder here.

Edit: about the descaling - it causes a big problem in any machine we’ve used if we don’t do it often, and we are far from the hardest water around. I freely acknowledge your experience, but I don’t think 3 times a year is near enough for a lot of people.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 29, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

How does he have a pulitzer and not know how to make coffee

clearly didn't get a pulitzer for his whiny crybaby copypasted replies. snobby enough not to know how to make coffee or know what a mr coffee is, not snobby enough not to get a week of coffee at once from a gas station.

it's a curious collection of quirks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Which end of snobby is the slur?

i can't tell, honestly it's all so absurd i thought it might be viral meme attempts before i realized he's just an overdramatic jackass

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

If someone knows you like coffee and buys you a huge bag of "espresso roast" aka pre-ground crap then that's the time to use the pressurized portafilter.

If I get preground as a gift I use that stuff for cooking :v

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Like baking? Make bad coffee and use that, or do you use the grounds as is in something?

Yeah, it goes awesome in pastry creams, custards, anything chocolate (like cake or brownies). The fat and sugar smooth away all the bad parts.

qutius posted:

A coffee-based rub goes great on beef.

Yes! Rub, grill, slice, serve with mole poblano. Really good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Affogatos are pretty great even with the worst espresso

Ya, sugar and fat make just about any coffee good.

Speaking of coffee, I just roasted some costa rican swp decaf. Smells amazing already, looking forward to brewing it tmw:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh man this decaf is...good? Like I wouldn’t say it makes a remarkable drip but it’s hard to complain about it. Should try this as espresso.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Normally I work in the office 4 days a week. I do an aero press in the morning and one or two k-cups at work, and my wife uses a k-cup as a stay at home mom. We’ll do a French press on the weekends when we wake up at the same time.

Since I’m working from home all the time, I’m thinking of a technivorm moccamaster drip machine. That way I can make a pot in the morning and have 2 or 3 cups and my wife can have some decent coffee in the morning.

So my questions are:

1) will one pot make enough coffee for 4 actual cups of coffee? Like 8 oz pours.

2) how many grams of coffee would that use?

3) any recommendations besides the moccamaster? I drink all 3 cups within about 3 hours so I dunno how long it needs to stay warm for honestly. I also don’t need an auto-on tuner because I’ll grind the coffee in the morning before brewing.

I don’t have a mokkamaster but we use a bonavita bv1900ts for drip and couldn’t be more pleased, for the most part. The water tank holds a little more than 1300mL, so you should be able to get around five 8-ounce cups when full. Whatever you get, make sure you get a thermal carafe, and that you fill it with the hottest tap water before using it (otherwise it sucks the heat from your coffee). It’ll keep coffee pretty hot for a few hours.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Just received the moccamaster KBG.

First thoughts-

1) I’m worried about breaking this glass carafe. It seems pretty thin.

2) can’t use the basket that comes with the KB and KBT, so I can’t select a “half pot” of coffee.

3) it looks really loving nice.

I’m gonna give it a go over the next few weeks and see how I like it, but I could see returning it for a KBT model based on the carafe alone.

This is the other reason I always recommend thermal carafes; I'm a klutz

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

I feel like you would need to really have your kitchen decorated exactly the right way (farmhouse style or 50's style depending on the color scheme) for that

I dunno, I think it would fit in well in a lot of ways. The shape, or colour, or shiny metal.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

DeLonghi Dedica, which is about 5" wide, designed for exactly that. I recommend getting a refurb or open box 680 model off eBay (they're cheap!) and cutting out the bottom of the portafilter. They're versatile, neat and programmable. Get a pretty red one for wife! Check out Gail's youtube review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxUvnKGqWS0.

I was going to recommend this but given how this thread likes to react I figured the pressurized portafilter made it a no-go. ALTHOUGH! It looks like third parties are making compatible filters for it with a little modification. I haven't used one but I have to say I like the design quite a lot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

other people posted:

That wirecutter article briefly poo poos the delonghi as being inconsistent. I think the extra space of the bambino may be worth it and apparently they sell non-pressurized baskets for it. Also the bambino apparently does decent frothing which MY WIFE is very interested in.

Now I just need to find the slimmest grinder. I have a porlex manual grinder which I like but MY WIFE refuses to use it.

assuming they use the same portafilter setups as their other machines (no guarantee but it wouldn't surprise me), breville makes both kinds. their bigger machines come with both types of baskets in the box.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gunder posted:

I will say that if you’re considering the Niche, then you can get a similarly good espresso grinder (Eureka Mignon Specialita) for a good deal less money. They’re also small, really quiet and look pretty nice. Lots of colours to choose from.

Looks like another regional variance; essentially same price in Canada.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Really been getting into bougie premium coffees lately. I got in a bunch of new kinds to test roast, and today I made a drip from some Kenya Murang'a AB Kahuhia beans. Washed. High acid but not unpleasant, lots of plum-y, red fruit skin, dark chocolate flavours.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Don't normally post in here, but I got some Monsooned Malabar in the mail today. Very different looking bean than I am used to, much larger, but not dense, and light in color.

They are definitely distinct! I like them but not for every day.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

That is what I was kinda worried about, I figured they might be a novelty more than anything. Worth a try though :)

Oh I mean I will probably buy them again. I love being able to try all this stuff.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Keeper Garrett posted:

Thanks, a decent all in one seems to be the best bet for me at the moment, and it is affordable.

It’s good. Breville makes good grinders too, for the price. They commonly get pretty good reviews on coffee forums (better for coarser than espresso unsurprisingly). I picked up one of these barista express machines at an auction as a backup and I think it makes great espresso tbh. Don’t use the pressurized basket, descale it often. If you have hard water I recommend no less than twice a month despite what this thread says.

I really appreciate that the hot water has a non pressurized vertical spout separate from the steam wand (which in fairness I never use).

I think a lot of these machines are like audiophile speakers. They get you 90% there for less cost and effort but there’s always more money or time to spend if you want to.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

I know very little about coffee, but my best friend's birthday's coming up and I know two things:

- He knows his poo poo about coffee
- His favorite kind is Ecuadorian

Any recommendations for Ecuadorian beans? I'm aiming for the "nice enough that you really enjoy it, but pricy enough that you don't regularly buy it for yourself" window

Is there a local roastery by you? I would support them if you can.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

I’m thinking of picking up a popcorn popper or something and trying home roasting.

Some questions:

How hard is it? I’m an engineer who can hack poo poo together and a not entirely incompetent home cook. Is there a dialing-in process of some kind like with brewing? How long will it take to get a feel for roast levels? The OP makes it seem like it’s pretty easy.

Why is it so cheap? It seems like it’s hard to pay more than 6 or 7 bucks per pound for really good single origin green coffee and most speciality roasters charge about 20 after its roasted. So where does that money go? I’m not accusing anybody of price gouging or anything, god knows it’s hard to make a living in the food and drink industry. It just seems with specialty roasters everywhere the competition would drive costs down if the actual process of roasting the coffee isn’t that big of a deal.

Given that you have to stand over it anyway, you might get better results with a stainless steel bowl and a heat gun. Being an engineer isn't going to make you a better popcorn popper coffee roaster.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I'm interested to know this, as well.

If you want to do it on the cheap, coffee roasting relies mostly on sound, a bit less on sight. Read about 'first crack' and 'second crack', and then basically heat your coffee beans while moving them around until they get to your preferred roast levels.

Something to keep in mind if you haven't roasted coffee before is that it won't be immediately drinkable. It'll take at minimum several hours to a day before it's drinkable. You can get a good speed up (especially if you aren't making espresso) by grinding your coffee and letting the grounds sit for 30 - 60 minutes and then making your coffee.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

Related question with apologies if this has been hashed out earlier in the thread:

I was told by the roaster who got me into coffee that light roasts have more caffeine because it starts burning off if you go to dark roast, but later when I looked at numbers it seems like roasting is generally done below the melting point for caffeine so I'm not sure how that would work. I have subsequently been told that it is instead because beans expand more if you go to a dark roast and most people are measuring by mass, so that if you instead measure by weight dark and light roasts should have (given identical beans) the same caffeine content. Seems plausible but I have not investigated further.

So what's the deal? Did my grumpy old dude roaster lie to me, or am I overlooking something about what roasting does to caffeine/did the internet just give me incorrect numbers for standard roasting temps?

It's really just about how much coffee you're using. The roast profile doesn't change the amount of caffeine by an appreciable amount, so if someone tells you that one kind of coffee has more caffeine, they're mistaken. Theoretically measuring by weight might get you a smidge more caffeine in a dark roast because the beans should weigh slightly less on a per-bean basis but it's really not going to matter, certainly not enough to make you notice after drinking a cup.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm kind of hearing different things right now so just to clarify, the fact that light roast has more density (weight) than dark roast means that if you measure by scoop (which you shouldn't), light roast will probably end up with more caffeine. But if you measure by weight, it should pretty much even out, because you will end up compensating for the difference in density.

Unless I've heard wrong too.

Essentially. Theoretically measuring by weight will slightly favour dark roasts for more caffeine because you'll get more beans (slightly) for a given weight. If you have pretty uniform bean sizes and roast the same beans some light, some dark, you can guarantee similar caffeine levels by individually counting the beans. I mean. If you want to be sure. :V

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tippecanoe posted:

Then your problem is that the amount of caffeine in coffee can be wildly inconsistent; even a cup of drip decaf can potentially have more caffeine than a can of cola.

When I'm trying to limit the amount of caffeine I ingest daily, I limit myself to one cup of coffee at the beginning of the day, then stick to tea or soda for the afternoon/evening. I also recommend trying your local roaster's decaf offerings; while I've never had a cup of decaf that didn't taste "decaf", I would say that by and large the processing and roasting of decafs has improved a lot and while they won't fool you they can still taste pretty good (and, again, they do have some caffeine in them).

Yeah there’s honestly no point in focussing like that due to sheer variability. You’ll know if you’re drinking too much caffeine if it’s affecting you negatively. If so, back off.

Most decaf does have some caffeine, but it’s honestly pretty trivial most of the time unless you’re drinking several pots. Methylene chloride retains the best flavour by a bit, followed up with a tie of ethyl acetate (‘sugarcane’) and water processing (although the ‘Swiss water’ (Vancouver) people are huge chemophobes with deceptive marketing).

I will say that roasting your own decaf is the way to go if you ever want to explore decaf and have the interest. I’ve roasted several dozen batches now that while aren’t nearly as good or interesting as the caffeinated varieties I roast, I’d be hard pressed to say many of them are decaf if someone handed one to me at their house.

There’s at least one species of coffee found to have no caffeine naturally; they’re still working on developing it into business viability. It’s going to be huge huge when it happens, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

anyone ever try coffea eugenioides?

nope but it's totally on my agenda now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

https://drinkarchetype.com/collections/archetype-coffee/products/competition-series-finca-inmaculada-coffee-eugenioides

You want to give it a little extra time to extract but it's like no other coffee I've ever tried - there's a really nice chocolatey note that goes all the way through from nose to palate and it finishes with something almost like steamed-with-a-hint-of-scald milk. If it wasn't the equivalent of $120 per pound I'd try more stuff with it but for now I'm just kinda trying one cup at a time.

E: the beans are so tiny compared to normal coffee

Nice. Bit rich for my blood to import, but I’d consider if I could roast it myself. Really cool stuff.

Between this and C. charrieriana, interesting times.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

It's recommended to pretty much always roast outdoors, right?

Do most people start out with a whirley pop?

If you don't, you'll set off smoke detectors in the best case and smoke out your house (in a bad way) in the worst case...unless you have a practically commercial vent hood. It's pretty gnarly. Popcorn machines can work, but so will a metal bowl and a heat gun (the latter will let you do slightly larger batches).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Buy more than a pound? Green coffee keeps. Alternately check around in your area.