Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
To make sure they get on the first page, here are my recommendations for a good basic starting coffee setup.

First, you need good coffee. You can buy green and roast yourself, or buy from a good roaster that roasts to order. For an excellent list of high quality roasters that almost all do mail order, check out Home-Barista's List of our favorite Roasters. This covers the US, Canada, Europe, and some other countries.

After buying freshly roasted beans, grinding fresh before you brew is the most important factor in making good coffee. Fresh coffee, ground freshly with a decent grinder, and brewed with practically any cheap method will be amazing.

My suggestion for a starter grinder is to hit up the Baratza refurb store. For $69 you can get a Starbucks Barista, or for $70 a Baratza Maestro. These two grinders aren't always in stock, but they update every Friday so it's unlikely you'll have to wait long to get one.

:siren::canada: Canadians :canada::siren: Refurb Baratza grinders can be ordered for the same price from the Canadian service person here.

Once you have a good grinder, you can pair it with any of the brewing methods described in the OP. French Press, pourover, siphon, it's all good. You'll be making the best coffee of your life.z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

nm posted:

Is this A Barazta Maestro with a Starbucks logo?
http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=380R
I'm kind of getting sick of manual grinding every day and honestly the Hario Mini Mill Slim doesn't seem to be that consistent.

They're essentially the same, yes. I've never seen one in person, so I'm not sure if the Starbucks model has a weighted base (the Maestro doesn't). Same price, either way.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

.Z. posted:

Also, from what I've read you need to modify the Barista a bit for espresso as it's default setup is not fine enough to do espresso.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/07/hack-starbucks-grinder/

That is a different grinder entirely (Starbucks calls a lot of their branded coffee equipment "Barista"). Either way, the Baratza Maestro isn't suitable for espresso, modified or not. Maybe a cheap steam toy with pressurized portafilter...

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

betterinsodapop posted:

...and my Baratza Virtuoso seems to be busted for no apparent reason. I tried cleaning, unclogging, disassembling and reassembling the burrs, and nothing gets it to work properly. It grinds, but it just grinds EXTREMELY coarsely (ie: totally unusable) on all settings. It's really frustrating as hell. I JUST got my home roasting operation together, and now don't have a grinder. Gah.

Does anybody have any experience with getting one of these things repaired? Any advice?

How to Troubleshoot A Grind Quality Issue (PDF)

If that doesn't help, their customer service is excellent.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Tell them you aren't comfortable taking it apart?

Baratza grinders are generally pretty reliable. I own three, and my close family members own several more, and I've never had any major issues.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
French presses have a metal mesh filter in them, but it lets through a fair amount of sludge. I dislike sediment in iced coffee, so I always run cold brew through a paper filter, no matter how I brewed it.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The Mypressi Twist is definitely the best option at the cheap end of real espresso. It's a much more serious machine than the Handpresso. See earlier in the thread for more comments from me.

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Yep, they use Arabica, Robusta, Excelsa and Catimor.

I've never been sure why they brag about using robusta and other cheap coffee. Excelsa is very much like robusta, and Catimor is a low-grade Arabica varietal with some robusta in the family tree. A lot of the "off-brand" species and varietals tend to be grown because they're more disease-resistant or tolerate low altitudes better, not because of the cup quality.

Wiggles, what is it about Trung Nguyen you like? Which blend are you talking about?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

yes

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Love Keurig? Nope.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Most high quality roasters carry a few decaf single origins and blends that meet their standards. They are generally an extremely high quality coffee to begin with specially selected for decaffeination. I don't know where you live, but many of the roasters on this list do mail order, so purchasing shouldn't be an issue.

If you are talking about supermarket coffee, well... it's crap to begin with, and the decaf is just crappier.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I am seriously amazed and impressed that you guys are willing to make DIY improvements to the Hario hand grinders. The inconsistent coarse grind caused by burr wobble is the main reason I've stopped recommending them as a base entry-level grinder. I tried getting a couple people I know who bought them on my advice to make a similar modification, but they weren't willing to do it, and eventually ditched them.

Then again, most people consider even pre-ground in an automatic drip machine :effort:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

ALMIGHTYSTRIKE posted:

what is the strongest coffee on the planet ? is there actually one or are the top brands kinda all the same ?

Strongest as in...?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

mattdev posted:

Check out what I scored for $150 :woop:

Wow, sweet deal!

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

that Vai sound posted:

It looks like I'll be buying a Chemex soon, and I have a question about heating water. Should I buy a kettle that can heat to specific temperatures or is it easy enough to judge when water gets to that 200 degree range?

Have you got a grinder?

No, it's not worth buying a kettle like that for coffee.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
If you want to clean your grinder with rice, most people recommend instant rice. And yes, not cooked.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The Maestro and Maestro Plus both have 40 adjustment steps and the same burr set. The Plus has a timer switch instead of an on/off switch, a pulse button on the front, and a weighted base (it weighs 3 lbs more than the Maestro). In terms of grind quality, there is no difference.

The $70 refurb Maestro is a sweet deal, and I don't recommend spending any more unless you want to go for the Virtuoso. I always weigh and grind per dose with the cheaper Baratzas, so the pulse button is not much use. The timer is only useful if you absolutely cannot turn off the grinder when it's finished. The metal base is actually more of a benefit than you would think, since it stops the grinder from moving around on the counter so easily. I still wouldn't spend the extra unless you want to go for the Virtuoso, which has significantly better grind quality than either Maestro.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
If you want to improve your coffee, get a better grinder. It's the single most important piece of equipment you can buy for making coffee. While I frequently recommend the $70 refurb Maestro, you are much better off spending the extra money on upgrading to a Virtuoso ($143 refurb) than buying fancy $50+ brewing tools. A nicer grinder and a $5 press pot is a better use of your money than a cheaper grinder and the latest shiny third-wave FOTM brewing gadget.

So you are rocking a Virtuoso and want to explore other brewing methods? Feel free to indulge in a Hario Buono kettle, Kalita Wave, Coava Kone, butane-fired siphon brewer, Espro Press, etc. There are very real differences between the coffee they produce, and you have your bases covered with grind quality.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

sbux and Solis grinders are all made by baratza

It's actually slightly more complicated than that. This article explains some of the backstory of the Solis/Baratza relationship.

To add to it, for a long time Baratza was selling its own manufactured designs under the Solis name, but a few years after the article was written they ditched Solis. Also, at one point the "Starbucks Barista" grinder could be a Solis/Baratza Maestro, which further confuses discussion about these grinders. Plus, the Maestros and Virtuosos have got some upgrades and feature changes over the years, though the current line-up has been stable for quite some time now.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think cleanup is less messy and even faster with the CCD, believe it or not.

The grounds are held in a filter in the CCD, so you just dump the filter and run a little bit of water in the brewing chamber to rinse. With the AP you have to take it apart to rinse everything. Makes a big difference to me when my only source of water is a Zojirushi dispenser at work. With a sink there isn't really much difference.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

yokken posted:

is there anything i should know before i start taking a crack at halfway-decent espresso/americanos? i've read this whole thread.. but holy poo poo, $500 coffee grinders? i'll pass...

I get the feeling you've read the Aeropress advertising spiel and think you will be making espresso with it. Despite what its nutty inventor might claim, it makes a strong cup of nice coffee (with the right brew ratio and timing), not espresso.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

Looking at the Baratza site, I can't find Maestro (refurb or no) at $75; only Maestro Plus refurb at $95. Do they just not make Maestros anymore, and I'm out of luck if I want a refurb?

They've just done a major site re-design, and it looks like they decided to discontinue the Maestro at the same time. You can find listings for the Maestro and Starbucks Barista here. I can't say whether they will have refurb Maestros available again in the future. The Maestro Plus is essentially the same grinder with a few extra bits and pieces, so perhaps $95 will be the buy-in for a good grinder from now on :(

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

For fakepresso what would you guys consider to be better/closer to the real thing? Aeropress or a Moka pot?

Neither is remotely close to actual espresso. I am sure an Italian would tell you to buy a moka pot, but I think the Aeropress makes a better cup of coffee if you use it properly. Discard the included instructions and go here.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Lord Dekks posted:

I did the same thing, and to be honest I'd probably throw it out and get a new one, mine had some sort of nasty mould which even once scrubed and scoured clean, had slightly eaten away at the metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxide

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

beatle posted:

The downside to the Aeropress is the amount of beans you use compared to drip, but the coffee is much, much better. I use cheap 8'oclock french roast beans to offset the quantity.

You think the coffee it makes is better, but you end up using more beans, so you buy lovely old ones to compensate? :raise:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

AriTheDog posted:

So I just opened up my refurbished Baratza Maestro, and it's pretty filthy. Completely covered with finely ground coffee. Can anyone else who received a refurbished grinder from Baratza tell me anything about the condition yours arrived in?

What do you mean by "completely covered"? Can you post a photo?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

AriTheDog posted:

So it seems that they have a new tech, who can't even pick the correct part for the correct grinder. It's great that I got a metal base as an upgrade, but it leaves me wondering what other parts are in the grinder, where they're from, and what condition they're in. I don't know about you guys, but after this I think I would never consider purchasing a more expensive grinder from Baratza.

So I guess I'll check if the grinder works. I don't really feel like spending a ton of time cleaning something that arrived dirty, and I'm wondering if I should be more of a pain in the rear end to them, or if I'm just wasting my time.

Based on another thread elsewhere, they did recently start training a new tech. I would take some comfort in knowing that they actually disassembled your grinder and replaced parts as needed. I've never heard of the base being accidentally swapped like on yours, but it is a drop-in piece that is exactly the same shape, so I can understand how the error was made with multiple grinders open at the same time on the bench.

Obviously your grinds bin was not cleaned as it should have been. The other photos you posted seem pretty minor to me on a refurb, unless the grinder was literally covered with coffee dust as you suggested (please clarify...). FWIW, it is completely normal to receive a brand new grinder with residual grinds in the hopper, burrs, and grind path, because they are tested with coffee before being shipped out. It looks like they refurbished your grinder and completely skipped the cleaning step afterwards.

Baratza does seem to have the odd hiccup like this, but they have one of the best customer service reputations in the whole coffee industry. I am sure they would replace your grinder if you asked them, but I doubt there is anything wrong with it.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

rockcity posted:

My mom said my aunt is looking for a Christmas gift idea for me and I was thinking about a vac pot. I've wanted one for a while, but never really pursued buying one for some reason. Does anyone out there have one and have any input on what to look for? I'm thinking I might want one that has a stand as I can see using it as a neat theatrical type thing.

What grinder do you have?

Vac pots are a lot of fun. You can get cheap stovetop models, but they don't really have the theatrical aspect of being able to take the brewer to the table and make the coffee right there. If you want a tabletop model, the standard manufacturers are Yama and Hario. You probably also want to get a butane burner instead of the anemic alcohol lamps often come with. This tends to make the overall price creep up towards $100.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

rockcity posted:

I have a Capresso Infinity. If I go tabletop, I definitely do plan to get a butane burner, but I'd probably buy that part on my own. The roaster I like back in MI made me coffee with one of the Yama ones and he used a butane burner too. It was fun to watch which I think made me want one even more.

Sounds like you have your bases covered. Figure out which size you prefer and look for either a Yama or Hario. I am not too familiar with prices down there, but up here Yama tends to be a lot cheaper.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Pod machines (including espresso machine adapters) are kind of poo poo even compared to capsules.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Any experience with it? That's about the ceiling of my budget for a grinder so it's between that and a hario manual.

It appears to be a burr grinder of the crushing knobs fake variety like most cheaper "burr" grinders. I think you would be better off with the Hario.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Friend wants me to reccomend him a good burr grinder under $100. Trying to remember which refurbished one is the best. Last page had some gripes about the Baratza, and the Rancillo Rocky is pricier than I remember. What else is there? Capresso Infinity? That Starbucks one? Something else that isnt a Hario hand mill?

Maestro Plus, $95 refurb. Not in stock at the moment, but they update once a week, so you shouldn't have to wait long. For a bit more, the $140 Virtuoso refurb is about as good as it gets for consumer grinders for regular coffee.

If you want to base your buying decision on anecdotal negative reports, I can find you significantly more for any of the other grinders you mentioned.

The Rocky has never been remotely close to sub-$100, even going back 10 years. It's pretty much a dinosaur these days. The Vario has surpassed it as the grinder of choice for espresso at that price point.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

whereismyshoe posted:

Dunno if this exactly belongs here, but where can i get an amazing cup of coffee in NYC?

Stumptown, Café Grumpy, Gimme!, Blue Bottle, Ninth Street Espresso, RBC NYC, Kava... the list goes on.

Bob_McBob fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 8, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

seravid posted:

Anyone know if this machine is any good?

It's an open boiler gravity-fed lever machine. The most common machine of this design you normally see is probably the La Peppina. Basically, instead of a pressurized boiler, the water is held at brew temperature in the reservoir and simply flows down to the group by gravity. It's an incredibly simple design that works extremely well, but it means you get no steam for milk.

List of gravity-fed lever machines

If you want to fix it up and pull some shots, Orphan Espresso will get you sorted out with replacement parts and any other assistance you might need. You will have to buy a decent grinder, though.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

seravid posted:

If you guys say it's fine

I get the feeling the link was offered without further qualification. Those roasters do look like the sort of place I'd avoid. I will have a look around for roaster recommendations, but I have never heard good things about Portugal.

Five days post-roast is not the end of the world, and is actually preferable for espresso. More important would total cost after shipping and how quickly you can get through a bag. You can always freeze in batches and take out a bag when the previous one runs out.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Glad to hear you are set for fresh coffee.

I use a Kalita Wave dripper all the time, but I prefer the #155 size metal one for individual cups. You emphatically do not need to buy the carafe unless you actually want it. It's basically a pretty container to brew into when you are doing multiple cups at once. I almost always brew a single cup straight into the mug. Remember to order filters!

For pourover, you ideally want one of those fancy (i.e.expensive) pouring kettles like the Hario Buono. I've got by okay with metal steaming pitchers, or anything with a decent enough spout to let you pour slowly with good control.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Just to be clear, the smaller size Wave dripper is great if you like brewing small cups. I use 10oz (~300ml) mugs, and it's a perfect size. If you want to fill a travel mug or brew a couple cups at once, the larger size is probably a better choice. I don't have a problem brewing a smaller cup with it, but I think the overall design works better when matched to an appropriate brew size.

You are in good hands if you are ordering beans from Hasbean. I am not sure what to suggest about the grinder. Baratzas are pretty pricey in Europe, but they are a good choice. There is always the hand grinder option, especially if you are willing to mod a Hario as described earlier in the thread.

One minor thing I would strongly recommend buying (if you are willing to put a minimal amount of effort into consistency) is a cheap digital scale. This one is only $6 shipped.

P.S. Welcome to coffee-fi, sorry about your wallet ;)

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

seravid posted:

Funny you should mention digital scales, I ordered one from ebay yesterday. With practice I'm assuming people can simply eyeball it, but for a beginner it just makes sense to have a scale handy. Maybe I should get a thermometer too, not sure how long I should wait after boiling the water...

Using a scale only takes a moment, and ensures maximum consistency. Some people have a mental anti-sperg hang-up about the extra 10 seconds. Personally I think if you are buying expensive coffee and taking the time to grind and brew properly, you might as well make it as consistent as possible. It's pretty standard in the specialty coffee industry these days.

seravid posted:

What the... :psyduck:

Coffee cupping is kind of like wine tasting. Some people like to just blurt out absolutely anything that comes to mind, and others stick to more defined flavours. The SCAA has a big wheel to describe this stuff, which might give you a better idea of what cuppers are looking for. Sweet Maria's has it online here.

I don't think there's anything directly comparable to the sort of voodoo magic nonsense you get in the audiophile industry.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

You forgot about cat poo poo coffee!

It was the closest thing that came to mind, but I didn't want to make it sound like anyone who actually knows anything about coffee promotes it. In the audiophile world, there are plenty of "experts" who use $10,000 power cables and magic crystals, and cable "upgrades" are a big industry at all levels of the hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Does this seem like a good value for $200? Thermoblocks got poo-poo'd in the OP, but they claim theirs is different?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zpmespresso/pid-controlled-espresso-machine?ref=category

I've been following it since yesterday, but I'm waiting for them to post temperature and pressure curves before passing judgement. It sounds promising. Their productions schedule is extremely ambitious, though they already have a working prototype that's undergone extensive testing.

If they can provide some solid data to back up their claims, I'd seriously consider funding them at the $200 level. An innovative and capable machine at that price point would be great.