Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've been reading up on the Sweet Maria's website about roasting my own beans. Before I invest in an expensive electric roaster, I wanted to try to stove-top methods in one of those popcorn poppers.

I currently live in a small studio apartment in New York City, so I don't really have access to the outdoors. Would it be dangerous to do so in my situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

lags posted:

You need ventilation... your hood fan MAY be enough (assuming it's not just blowing back into the apartment through a filter).

Roasting produces smoke that you can't always see - if you're not ventilated you WILL set off alarms. You should keep a fire extinguisher near by just in case - you should have one of these in your kitchen ANYway.

That said, go nuts - you've probably burnt toast that produced more noxious smoke than you'll get trying out a few roasting batches.

I believe my hood fan just sucks up the air and spits it out higher up. What I tend to do if I'm cooking something that's bound to get smoky is put one of my high powered fans near the stove top/oven, and have it on high blowing towards the window (maybe 5 feet away). That way, I've never had an issue with smoke in my apartment.

In terms of storing the beans, would an airtight ziplock bag be sufficient, or should I go buy one of those glass canisters with the tightened clasp tops?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

PainBreak posted:

Do you not have a deck / patio thing at all? With a Whirley Pop, a heavy gauge extension cord, and a $10 hot plate from Walgreens, you're set to roast outside.

I do not have any outdoor space at all. I think if I start off with smaller batches and, with a good amount of air movement with my fans, I should be alright. (unless you guys believe otherwise)

Also, I read I need to get the pan/whirley pop to ~450 degrees Fahrenheit. Would you guys suggest I buy one of those electronic cooling thermometers that I could stick into the pot? Or just guestimate it?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

lags posted:

Unless you want an excuse to buy a toy, just guess. Listen for the cracks & watch the colour closely, and constantly agitate. Save your money for the roaster you're inevitably going to buy now that you've started down the road.

I like this advice, thanks :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Anyone else pair coffees with cigars? We used to have a great cigar thread in GBS, but it died out a while back. A lot of the regulars always posted that cigars go great with a good cup of coffee, but I never followed through with it (usually Scotch took precedence).

Your mentioning of odd flavor nuances reminded me of cigars, I promise this isn't a derail.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nm posted:

And you're calling him a sperger?

Haha, being probated 3 times in a row for being a "jerk". I think we see a trend here?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Got a roaster for Christmas (old Popcorn popper). First batch came out a little too dark, I think! Next one will be less time, I'm thinking 45 seconds less.

Do I really have to wait a day to try it out?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Starks posted:

I bought a french press and I'm not really looking to drop 100 bucks on a good grinder yet, but I have a cheap electric blade one that gives a pretty inconsistent grind. Is it better to still buy whole beans and grind them using the lovely grinder, or am I better off getting my beans ground when I buy them?

I had a blade grinder for about half of a year until I got my burr grinder. I definitely tasted improved flavor with the grinder over store bought, pre-ground coffee. Yeah it was sometimes inconsistent, but once you get the hang of it, it'll still be miles better.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Question! Is it illegal for my little studio apartment in NYC to not have a smoke detector? Because I definitely don't have one which I discovered after smoking up my kitchen the other night with roasting coffee.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I finally had free time this weekend and decided to try out roasting in my tiny apartment. Here's the setup that I got going:

This ended up working really well. None of the smoke was in the kitchen for that long. The fan on the left blew right over the Poppery into the window fan that was sucking the air out. I guess building a computer taught me something about airflow :)

Here's what I got:

I don't know what to classify the roast as. Goons? :shobon:

*edit* They're terrible phone pictures, so the lighting is really wonky in the roast picture.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 30, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rockcity posted:

How long these take with your method is sort of trial and error. If you want to really get a good idea. Roast a batch all the way through second crack and get an idea of when each stage is in terms of time. This will really help you gauge what roast you're at when you're in the harder to discern stages between the two cracks.

Yeah, I'd read up a lot on it before hand. I'd say the moment I started hearing the second crack I pulled them out. It's been tough though because my Poppery's times change alot when it's the first/second/third roast of the session and it's really warmed up. I kept a log of all the details, so I may be drinking lovely coffee for a while until I get it right.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Is this infrared thermometer worth getting in regards to coffee roasting?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896268001&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-96-268-001-_-Product

I have a Newegg giftcard burning in my pocket I feel like getting the temperature instead of just eyeballing would allow me to be much more systematic when roasting coffee. I would of course still learn what the right color is, but this could help, right?

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 30, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Steve Yun posted:

It might, but just be aware that if you're gonna try to take the temperature through the window in the oven door, you'll be getting the temp of the glass on the outside of the oven door, not the beans behind it.

If you're using another roasting device and have line of sight with your beans then youre good.

I would say get it anyways because it's handy for so many other cooking applications

Nope, using a Poppery which has a top I can take off.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Here's what I got:

I don't know what to classify the roast as. Goons? :shobon:

I made a pot of this, this morning! I was surprised to find that I think I actually over-roasted these beans. I'm always scared that I'm going to underroast them and end up getting thin dirt water. It still tasted pretty drat good, but it could be better!

These were Columbian Supremo beans which I take should be lighter roasted. I have my log back at home. I think I'll try roasting the next batch and pulling them 30-45 seconds earlier. Last time, I pulled them about 15 seconds into the start of the second crack.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

flacoman954 posted:

What I do with new beans is to pull a bean or two and chew on it with a sip of water,so I can taste it on-the-fly.

Will that give an accurate representation of what it'll taste like when brewed?

Also, do I need to learn how to "cup" my beans? It seems overly complicated :saddowns:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
What's the process of taking fresh roasted coffee (less than 1 day) and making it drinkable? There will be a bunch of bloom, but are there extra steps?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nm posted:

Get something white. Make sure you pre-wet.

I use the filteropia ones.

Wait, you want the "bleached" (that's what they're labeled as) filters and you want to moisten them before you put the grinds into them? Is this the same for a regular drip machine as well?

Also, holy poo poo was the $30 infrared thermometer the best purchase I've made recently. Roasted a batch of Brazil Santos and some Nicaraguan this past weekend and brought a thermos of one each day to work. The coffee tastes incredible, isn't burnt and doesn't taste like dirt water. I got the temperature to 445-446f.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 15, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rockcity posted:

You'd get more of a kick from a lighter roasted coffee. The most caffeine you're going to get out of coffee is a city roast done in a french press.

I'm having the hardest time convincing my family that longer roasted beans is not what coffee should taste like, but they've been completely brainwashed by Starbucks :(

That said, their new Blonde roast is tolerable when I'm in a hurry to get to work.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nm posted:

You know I agree with this, but god, do we ever seem like elitist audiophile nerds. I think I need a shower and some diner coffee.

That said, I don't think expermentation is bad and I applaud his desire to hack and do more with less, paritcularly with his current setup. I don't think he should claim it is as easy as he says.
Also, the bean selection was terrible. If you don't know when it was roasted, I wouldn't bother. Except diner coffee, I love me some diner coffee.

lovely diner coffee is the best. It's never ending and always seems to hit the right spot.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

withak posted:

This kind of looks like an egg yolk in a shot glass.

My thoughts exactly.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

dhrusis posted:

I just jumped in head first to the world of coffee roasting. Bought an air popper after watching tons of youtube videos on it and reading about it on sweetmarias forums. Looking very forward to it.. Thanks thread!

I think I want to roast some ethiopian beans.. does anyone have any recommendations? Since this is my first roasting experience, I really don't know what to expect. Are there any "starter" beans that may be a good idea?

These will be going into a clever dripper after being chopped up (sigh) by a blade grinder. No burr grinder yet.

I bought this infrared thermometer as I've just started roasting in my Poppery. It's helped me get a much more consistent roast because I didn't have the whole timing/color of the roast down yet. I've been pulling my beans at ~444f and they come out awesomely.

Also, I found my Columbian beans to be super tasty to start out. I feel like Columbian is the standard for coffee for a lot of us in the US (not sure if you're from the US) and it gave me a good base to go from.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

what is this posted:

Resurrecting this post to inquire about Starbucks Blonde roast.

We have a Starbucks right next to where I work, so it's not uncommon to walk down there for a break. We also have a reasonable espresso machine, but some people want one of Starbucks' "fancy" drinks. In any case I've had the blonde roast now a few times.

Every time I order blonde roast, they make it right there, in a pour over. Filter goes in the plastic case (two holes at the base), ground beans go in the filter, hot water slowly poured over the beans.

Is this the case for every Starbucks? I'm certainly pleased with the results, but this takes quite a long time and the process seems too expensive to be replicated nationwide.

I wish they did that! I'm in the same boat as Gravity Pike.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Lots of weird hostility in the coffee thread.

Sounds like some people should switch to decaf.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 28, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

dhrusis posted:

Trip report on dhrusis's first foray into roasting.

The Beans
I went to Phoenicia Foods in downtown Houston for some Green Beans of unknown freshness or origin. Probably not the best idea, but its a local source, walkable for me and they are cheap. Oh, and I like the store because I'm a food nerd and the place.is.fantastic. The guy behind the counter weighed my beans out to 4 digits... 1.010lbs.

The Equipment
Purchased a West Bend Air Crazy 4 Quart Popper from Amazon. The comments in there had it on good authority that this thing works well for roasting. Sweetmaria's also vouches. It was cheap, under 30$ with Amazon Prime. It arrived today.. Fairly cheap build quality, and for some reason, doesn't look like it would pop corn real well. Good thing I didn't buy it for that.

On Doh004's recommendation, I also picked up a digital thermometer from Amazon to track the roast temp. Thing is surprisingly solid for the price I paid. Seems to work well also. This budget roasting thing seems to be coming along...

The Roast
Went outside with the beans, a stirring spoon, bowl w/water for the chaff, metal collander, 2 small towels for handling hot things, timer, digital scale, and thermometer.

My attempts all kind of varied in the time it took to get to first crack, and the general things I observed. I tried to take some good notes so that I can duplicate this going forward if I like the results. The roasting time seems to be very dependent on how many beans you put in the popper to start. Too many and they won't spin on their own, actually seeming to accelerate the roast, despite the fact that I was actively stirring.

First attempt w/cold popper: 1.85oz of beans, 1st crack seemed to happen at around 2:00, and I stopped when the thermometer said 445 or so, or right around second crack. It's hard for me to tell the exact temperature. The readings jump around since the beans are moving, and results are obviously dependent on where you are aiming, so its not an exact science. If this turns out to be not the best tool going forward, I'll probably replace with a drop in thermocouple.

2nd attempt with warm popper: 1.5oz of beans, 1st crack seemed to happen at around 3:00, despite a warm machine. I checked the temp to see if I could verify when 1st crack should be happening and the thermo was jumping around. I wrote two numbers, approx 350, and potentially even 300. This can't be right, can it?

The Results
Welp, take a looksee at my fancy cellphone picture. If anyone can tell if this is in fact a Full City+ roast (as I intended), please let me know.

I'll update with my experiences with the CCD as soon as I grind and drink this stuff.

Its been fun so far.

Hurray! You definitely do see some temperature jumping around with the infrared thermometer. I guess I'm not an overly technical person when it comes to coffee/cooking, so I'm okay with the guestimating the temperature. I can say though that I've gotten a consistent City+ with my setup, which is indoors so your mileage may vary, with almost half a dozen different beans.

I've also started drinking my coffee black! The fresh roasted stuff really doesn't need much and it's great to actually taste the differences in the beans. Let us know how it tastes (I always wait ~24 hours, I know people say you can just let em bloom a bit before hand but the wait is fine with me).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mystes posted:

Can anyone who's used a Freshroast or similar machine indoors report on the levels of smoke produced? I've previously roasted coffee using an air popper and was able to manage the smoke by sticking the popper next to a fan by a window but I don't think this will work in my current apartment.

This is my setup. As long as you have good circulation, you'll be fine:

*edit* I've found I don't need the smaller fan blowing the air above the popper. Getting a good flow of air is all you need.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How do they compare to the Plus?

I feel like my current burr grinder is on its way out.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Finally got to the point where my first round of green beans was running out. Just ordered a 4lb sampler from Sweet Marias. We'll see how their coffee compares to what I had to begin with.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How long does Sweet Maria's take to ship? My order is still processing from last Wednesday. Maybe I'm just used to Amazon's ridiculous shipping.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yeah, an hour after I posted that I got the email saying it was shipped. I must have just gotten unlucky with the timing and missed the Friday cutoff. No worries, I still have coffee to drink while I wait for more supplies.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I went to high school with a bunch of the Bunn's (the actual family). Nicest people you'd ever meet :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Nullity posted:

I feel somewhat bad now that I use a liquid milk coffee mix and instant coffee rather than all this fancy grinding. I even have the grinder in a cupboard somewhere, permanently unused.

Only somewhat bad?

:frogout:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

gwrtheyrn posted:

Whirely pop roasting

I tried asking the same thing by posting a picture of my roasted beans, but it's near impossible to judge. While I don't have a whirely pop, I do roast my beans in a 1970's popcorn popper (The Poppery 1).

The only way you're really going to be able to tell from the start is to brew some the next day and see what you taste. If you found that you're tasting too much char or burnt than you know when into the French/Vienna roast. Also, this probably depends on the bean, but if you start seeing the oils from the bean right after you roasted it, it normally means you roasted it too long (at least that's how I've had it).

I also haven't had any luck dealing with "timing" my roast with my popper. Different ambient temperatures, how long the popper's had to heat up previously all come into play. The $25 infrared thermometer allows me to accurately see where my beans are, and once I read a 444 F reading, I pull the beans out. This has given me a consistent FC+ roast on everything :) . I do hope to get familiar with it enough that I can eye/ear it, but that takes lots of practice.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

For the roasters: interesting article on roast profiling the first crack http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/node/2945

Interesting. How would one slow down the roast process in say an air popper? Get a handheld fan and have it blow in cooler air? Not sure how effective that would be.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
My Breville grinder finally crapped out after 2 and a half years of good use.

code:
You have ordered the following:

Qty  Description                             Unit                Amount
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1     (385R) Maestro Plus Refurb             $95.00              $95.00
      * Weight: 7.00 lbs. each
Welp!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Shapiro posted:

Well, I'm with this guy, just now:

code:
You have ordered the following:

Qty  Description                             Unit                Amount
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1     (385R) Maestro Plus Refurb             $95.00              $95.00
      * Weight: 7.00 lbs. each
:)

Pretty excited!

Sup :respek:

It came in today. Can't wait to make some coffee tomorrow morning :woop:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Ouroborus posted:

I don't see much talk on roasters. I bought myself a Behmor 1600 a couple months ago. Kind of expensive (you can get a refurb one cheaper from these guys http://shop.chocolatealchemy.com/products/behmor-1600-roaster) but it works great, also doubles as a chocolate roaster. It'll do a full pound of coffee, which was the reason I got it.

This badboy is the poo poo:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rockcity posted:

The only downside is that the sort of burnt toast smell that it makes lingers a bit if you roast inside. After several complaints from my girlfriend I've relegated it to outside use only now.

I love the smell. Normally my apartment is fine, but with the AC running I don't have the windows open.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Steve Yun posted:

Did they have a monopoly in the early 80's? Because I have literally never seen any other brand of popper from that era.

I wouldn't doubt it. It would explain why they're so common in garage sales or on Ebay. I won't question it as it roasts some tasty coffee for pretty cheap.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Do it on your balcony.

What's a balcony?

(Lives in NYC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Just got my first French Press. Can't wait to use it.

Question for the thread:

What types of coffee benefit from a french press? It really does produce a different tasting coffee. One that tastes pretty drat good in a drip could have a non-similar taste and mouth feel.