Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I've been using an Aeropress for a while now when making coffee in the office. It's a really good combination of good coffee + simple cleanup for an office situation.

Now I've been working at home for a while with my partner, I'm interested to try a pourover-type method. Primarily just to try a new technique, but also because it seems like a better solution for making 2 cups in the morning.

I already have a grinder and scales so it should be a cheap investment, but do I need a fancy pourover kettle? Or can I just get away with using a normal electric kettle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Thanks - yeah, the question was more "do I need a gooseneck for pourover technique"

It seems from a bit of reading that the v60 can be a bit finnicky technique-wise, but can be outstanding when you nail it. Kalita Wave sounds like it could be a bit more forgiving? And the Chemex is just a great-looking thing but has some quirks. Does that about summarise the main options?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Got my v60 this week and had a few days trying it out. Been using Hoffman’s technique, had a few non-great cups but this morning was my first “good” one (I’m sure I can do better but it was a significant improvement on before).

My Porlex grinder is frustratingly inconsistent, and it’s making it hard to dial in. Sometimes I end up with a really muddy/silty bed, but still with big chunks of bean on the top. Is that just a cheap grinder thing?

I’ll look into getting something better. How much am I going to regret a higher-end (£100-200) hand grinder over an electric? I only usually brew maximum 2 cups at a time (so about 30g) and I don’t like taking up space with single use kitchen stuff, so I’m leaning towards a new hand grinder at the moment.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Can someone explain why my scales show decreasing weight as the coffee goes from v60 into the decanter? 500g eventually turns into 480-490 once it has dripped through. Surely there’s not that much evaporation going on, so what’s happening?

It’s not a super cheap scale but it’s only gram-accurate. I’m thinking it might be heat knocking the measurement off as the carafe warms up?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I did my brew this morning with a couple of coasters between the scales and the carafe and the weight didn’t drop. Looks like temperature definitely was the culprit!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

This is probably going to be one of those questions with a really obvious answer but I’m drawing a blank right now.

I could do with a carafe to make 2-cup v60 brews in, but everything I’ve found is glass. I want to be able to keep it in my van and I think glass will break pretty easy when I’m driving around.

My immediate thought was a plastic measuring jug, but most of them don’t seem to deal well with hot liquid. Any ideas?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Looking for a better hand grinder for pour over and Aeropress. Under £150, seems like my best options are the 1zpresso JX or the Timemore?

Anyone here got either of those?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

Look up James Hoffman's video on high end hand grinders. Commandante mk3 / Helor/ lido is what I'd recommend.

Unfortunately the Comandante is over budget (~£200 on a quick look). The Lido works out at similar (over 200 inc shipping to the UK), similar with Helor.

Looks like Knock might be an option to look at, I’ll continue looking.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I use the rinse water to prewarm my mugs!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

bizwank posted:

severely triggered rn

This was actually one of the more interesting ones he’s done really (to me). I had no idea what those machines were doing inside!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I’ve been using v60 at home for brewing for the last year and a half, but now I’m back to the office a couple of days a week I could do with something for there too. Been looking at the clever coffee dripper as it looks like it’ll be easier to use with a static hot water boiler, compared to a v60.

It looks like there are two sizes, does it make a significant difference which one I pick? I’ll probably be doing single cup brews most of the time but may need to do 2-cups occasionally, but I’m not averse to just brewing 2x 1 cup, if the single cup is a better option for me most of the time.

Any recipe/brewing guides recommended?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

seravid posted:

Is a manual espresso maker usable if you're short on time? While I'm happy with my current setup, sometimes I only have time to enjoy 30ml of coffee before work, not 300ml. In order to finally stop buying capsules for days like that, I'm now considering going full coffee nerd and acquire a Flair Pro 2 (or equivalent in the 300€ range?). Watching workflow videos, though, with preheating the chamber and the portafilter and zen gardening the grounds before tamping and finally assembling the stack to pull the shot... makes it seem much more time-consuming than the clever dripper and french press I use, even if the actual brewing of the shot ends up being much faster.

I realize a machine would better fit my needs, but 1) probably not my budget, 2) I'd rather not have yet another plugged-in monolith on the kitchen top and 3) pulling a lever is more fun than pressing a button.

I'm now regretting buying the non-pro version of the 1zpresso JX, though...

If you want a small coffee that can be done quickly, have you ruled out a Moka pot? It’s not espresso but it might fill that niche?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I finally got around to cleaning the scale out of my regular kettle, and now it pours too fast to do a v60 easily! So now I’m looking around for other options for pouring kettles.

I’d love a temp controlled one, but I already have an electric kettle that we use a lot for other things. I’m not sure my partner is up for having 2 electric kettles.

For the non-electric ones, do people heat them on the stove? Or boil water elsewhere and pour it into the kettle first? Option 1 seems silly if I already have an electric kettle, but option 2 seems like it would drop the water temp a lot before pouring.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Let the scale build back up :v:

I think it was mostly the mesh filter being scaled up that was helping! It let me pour at an angle that the spout worked without dribbling, but with a slow flow. Makes me wonder if I can fashion some kind of flow restriction to do the same thing!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I went to a great coffee shop yesterday and they were selling the Peak Water jugs (I think the shop owner is the guy who created Peak Water). It got me thinking about my water and what I can do to improve it.

Local water seems very hard, my water company says it’s 246mg/l of CACO3. 87mg/l of calcium and 7.2 of magnesium.

I don’t really want to get into buying distilled water and remineralising. From what I’ve read that’s the best option but it’s also…a lot.

What are my options without going down that route? Is a Brita going to do anything?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

I'm afraid there's no freezer. Since my part of the office is empty, I have room for a mini-fridge, that's about it. It's not a huge company so I can't go nuts, but if I could find a quiet grinder, I might just buy it for myself.

The auto is for later when people who drink coffee that are not me work there regularly. For now I'm sticking with kettle, scale, and CCD.

As for the hand-grinder: I have one. I don't mind it, but not every morning. I just wasn't sure if there's a benefit to buying good coffee (even relatively fresh-roasted) if it comes pre-ground.

Can you not have a grinder at home and just grind every morning and bring it to the office? That’s what I do.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

For speedy decent coffee I’ll always recommend the clever dripper. It’s almost foolproof and pretty quick, has a benefit over a v60 or chemex that you don’t have to be there physically pouring during the brew time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

~£500 espresso/milk drink setup, are my best options hand grinder (1zpresso or something) and a used Gaggia Classic that I can mod in the future?