Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GramCracker posted:

Anyway, I usually like to drink one cup during the day at a totally random time (one day it might be at 10am and the next day it might be at 3pm, which is completely irrelevant). My question for you goons is, what should I use to make a single cup of non-poo poo coffee while I'm at work? Just put a few scoops of my favorite grounds into a drip machine?

There's always the option of a reusable, refillable k-cup.

http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000DLB2FI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm really glad I bought a $5 thermometer. I was wondering why my coffee in the aeropress tasted so bitter and it turns out the water was too hot and was burning the grounds. They smelled wonderful when I ground it but after I took a sip it was just foul so I knew I was doing something wrong. Get a $5 thermometer.

What I've always done is bring water to a boil on the stove. After it's boiling, remove it from heat and let it sit for 45 seconds to a minute, then pour over your grounds.

That's for a french press, though, I've heard an Aeropress works better at lower temperatures.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Is one of those cold brew kits (Toddy, Filtron, etc.) really necessary for cold brewing, or is a mason jar, a funnel, and a paper filter once a week perfectly fine? I don't really see a difference except maybe some slight ergonomic improvements, and it saves me from buying yet another gadget I don't need vs. stuff I already own. Similarly, any reason not to grind in store vs. at home if I'm going to cold brew the grounds all at once, immediately?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Eh, I work from home so it's less of an ease of use thing than it is a "I live in Houston and it hits 90+ in the mornings" thing. I'd rather have a cold drink than a hot drink during the summer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Does grinding in the store vs. grinding manually at home really make that much of a difference? Currently I buy whole beans, grind in the store, and generally use them within a week. I only make coffee for myself via a CCD, generally 1-2 batches per day. If it'll make a huge difference I'm happy to buy a grinder, I just don't know.

And if it will, what's the current best buy for a manual grinder? Thanks!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The main issue with a Baratza is that I live in a very old place with few kitchen outlets and a small kitchen to boot. A battery powered grinder would be fine - one that needs to be plugged in, not so much. The only outlet I have that is at a countertop is covered by my toaster oven (which sees very frequent use).

If there's a reasonably priced battery powered burr grinder, I'm all ears.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I would be completely okay with a blade grinder, if there's a recommended battery powered one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Why do I forget that the difference between 3 cups of coffee and 4 is the difference between "awake, alert, and productive" and "uncomfortably wired" ?? I'm an idiot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

This is probably going to be one of those questions with a really obvious answer but I’m drawing a blank right now.

I could do with a carafe to make 2-cup v60 brews in, but everything I’ve found is glass. I want to be able to keep it in my van and I think glass will break pretty easy when I’m driving around.

My immediate thought was a plastic measuring jug, but most of them don’t seem to deal well with hot liquid. Any ideas?

You could go with a 20 oz. thermal tumblers like Yeti or one of the knock-offs.

https://www.amazon.com/Jura-Tumbler-Double-Stainless-Installation/dp/B07MJR3P1H/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Remy Marathe posted:

I often see it made explicit to start with cold water for brewing coffee, even in automatic drip machines, is there a reasoning for this that I'm missing? Since it gets heated up anyway I always assumed this was just to make sure people weren't using softened water or unduly looping in the hot water heater pipes.

This is it. Always start with cold water that will be heated, whether it's for coffee, pasta, tea, whatever simply because looping in your hot water heater exposes it to additional piping and, assuming you have a water heater with a tank (like most people do), you would also potentially be adding sediment from the bottom of the tank.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Unfortunately the Comandante is over budget (~£200 on a quick look). The Lido works out at similar (over 200 inc shipping to the UK), similar with Helor.

Looks like Knock might be an option to look at, I’ll continue looking.

I am clearly in the wrong business if people are buying $250 hand grinders for coffee.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

screaden posted:

Wait, all of Italy is lactose intolerant?

You weren't aware? This is why you never hear about Italian cheeses.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Bandire posted:

I've never really given cold brew a shot. What's a good starter rig?

When you say "decent espresso machine", do you mean a Decent Espresso Machine or just a decent espresso machine.

When I used to make cold brew years ago, I went with a coffee sock for sustainability reasons. It was mostly for my then-GF, she was happy with the results.

Edit: Plus the requisite mason jar, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

CommonShore posted:

I impulse purchased some green coffee beans from an Ethiopian grocery a couple days ago.

I ran out of coffee today so I just toss-roasted some of the green beans over the stove and did a horrible job of it (I've since looked up some tips and I'll try again with better technique).

I brewed them up and it was drinkable but whatever. And then the last few sips in the cup had the most remarkable toffee flavour I've ever had from a cup of coffee.

Is this how addictions start?

Try it again, see if you like it.