Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
How can I assess whether burrs are dull or need to be replaced?

The Super Jolly I'm fixing up and playing with is really tricky.

I poured the best shot I've had and I've poured a lot of dogshit shots that shoot out of the bottomless portafilter all over my coffee station. I don't know what's doing it... I'm hoping this can be attributed to something I can swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

VelociBacon posted:

Usually this (channeling) is caused by your puck prep not being as good as it needs to be.

Same technique on my pucks.

Only difference is the grinder.

The Baratza Encore ESP vs this Super Jolly.

I do a light misting of water on the beans, throw'em in to grind.
I use a WDT tool and give the grinds a stir in little circles around the periphery, then slowly inch the tool out while continuing to stir.

I use a distrbution puck to flatten, then I tamper.

Same amount of beans measured before/after 16.8g
Same espresso maker
Same puck screen

That's why I think it might be the burrs.

Is there a way to figure out if they're dull? They're probably super old.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hypnophant posted:

If it’s not had years of service in a busy cafe, the burrs aren’t dull

that said, ssp burrs should be a drop-in upgrade

it's an '89, bought from a failed shop, bought by that shop second hand.

It probably has varicose veins.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I left my buddy unsupervised because I had a meeting and he was staying over at my house for a week.

Every day I showed him my process for making the Encore ESP work with my bambino plus.

16.8g, tamp, puck screen, wdt.

I leave for the meeting and check in with him after.

Motherfucker put 45g in (having weighed them) into the grinder and hosed with the grind settings to bring them into v60 territory. The dick head then gave up and just left a mess and didn't even try to pour a shot.

All of this would be forgivable if he didn't have a Breville Barista Express that he uses loving daily at home.

:psyduck:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I like my Encore ESP (it adds an espresso range) but it's def a better pour-over grinder than espresso. The espresso range is 1-20, then 21-40 for coarser grinds, using a stepped adjustment. I have yet to pour a decent shot outside of settings 19 and 20, so I can't recommend it for espresso (even if I've successfully poured it), but I can't complain about the burs in regards to pour-over.

What coffee is your buddy trying to make? That'll probably inform the replies a bit better.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Ptolemaeus posted:

I spent 400 USD on a technivorm, read through this whole thread, learned how to grind my own beans, became overbearing about coffee and thought I finally found what I liked. My wife then blew my mind falling in love with a 20 USD piece of flimsy stainless steel and some fine ground filter kaapi south Indian style mix of 80 percent coffee and 20 percent chicory that was pennies at the grocer she goes to. Now we just make that every morning and I feel dumb.

I'll offer you $50 for the 'vorm.

RE: Flair58

I went to a coffee roaster's 16 anniversary event and they were busting out a bunch of machines for espresso.
I got to talking with the owner and he loving hates the Flair. It pours ok shots but the company has left early-adopters in the lurch whenever they come up with a design update and it's a finicky workflow.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

BrianBoitano posted:

Only way Flair is a café machine is if they make the slow workflow part of the "experience" and charge enough to either hire more baristas or to create scarcity / luxury levels of clientele. I enjoy the ritual, but my local café already runs slow if there's a crowd so while I love it at home I'm not surprised coffee shops haven't embraced it.

Pressure surfing sure is fun, and a Flair is a great option for the home.

It's not a cafe, it's a roaster. They have it to product test using a few different machines. Fair point though.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

SlinkyMink posted:

Nah, I definitely appreciate the counter points, hence why I'm here! I've not heard of them before, but reading online, it seems to have a pretty cult following with a huge aftermarket scene, as well. They've been making the same machine with minor iterations since the 70s which is incredibly cool to me and seems like they've held up well because of it. I've been watching reviews and reading about them and seeing people who have bought them and refurbished them second hand with little push back and great results. Hell, I think Hoffman made a video with a 20+ year old machine that seemed to make a really clean cup and that just furthered my interest. Minimal moving parts, pumps, and things to go bad is a huge plus for me and the learning curve is something I'd embrace. I was on the Gaggia Classic train for years, but this thing is basically everything I've been looking for in a machine, so we'll see. I'm mostly sold, but am gonna do a bit more research today to finalize my thoughts. I'll definitely be reporting back if I pull the trigger.

To piggy back on this, the gaggia classic pro evo https://www.gaggia-na.com/products/gaggia-classic-pro just got released and includes a few of the "need to have" mods that the community used to say were mandatory. They improved materials on the grouphead, changed out the pressure to 9bar and a few other changes to the classic pro.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm beginning my espresso adventure but I'm pretty pleased with the bambino plus. You can find them at discount off the remanufactured site. I'll echo that if you want a better taste and experience, then your money is best served splurging on grinder and not the espresso maker.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is it 9 bar? The website says 15. Lol

Welp, then they walked that back.

https://youtu.be/iZs6Ehvztz0?si=iEBlBDSqrXmv8nZi

And a couple other reviews cover it as 9bar

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 21, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Look up the bambino plus on the remanufactured site and save some money. I like mine, it's pretty nice and I've got no regrets. One day I'll upgrade but I'm in no rush.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
That Moccamaster sure is tempting.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

MetaJew posted:

If anyone is in the market for a Vario W with steel burrs (and the ceramic burrs which were never used) please let me know.

It is a refurbished model I purchased directly from Baratza back in April of 2020. As far as being a refurbished model nothing ever looked out of place, so maybe I just got a return.

Baratza installed the steel burrs for me when I purchased the set, and the ceramic burrs have been sitting in a baggie in my cabinet.

I need to put it up for sale somewhere since I've concluded that the Lagom P64 I've purchased can do both espresso and pour over.

What're you asking for it?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

bizwank posted:

That model has a thermoblock so it's quite a bit more stable temperature-wise than any entry-level machine with a traditional boiler; most of the ones I see hover in the high 190s for the full duration of the shot, assuming they've been regularly descaled. They've got the same 15 bar vibratory pump that's in every other home machine on the US market so any pressure issues are probably going to be a problem with your coffee or puck prep, or a sign of a machine that's in need of some maintenance or otherwise malfunctioning in some way. If you want a more traditional steam wand there's also the EC885M, for roughly the same price. There just really isn't a better starter machine on the (US) market, especially for the money.

The bambino plus also has a thermoblock and is pretty cheap. Same general issues though, 54mm basket.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've had great experiences with Kona in both Hawaii and I'm the Midwest though it's hard to get out here due to prices.

The espresso buzz is way different (gave me the same sensations as a body high). Ymmv.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
That's also how my guy got his beans - a direct deal with his own farming friend in Hawaii.

If you're ever in Oahu, check out green world coffee. poo poo is absolutely dope.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Ah, the PHITS technique

(Piss hole in the snow)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Wachter posted:

Speaking of the Encore, I'm looking to start putting together an espresso setup - does the burr upgrade (I want to say M2?) make for an acceptable entry-level grinder?

The Encore isn't an espresso grinder. At least look at the Encore ESp. You're going to be frustrated by the steps and the lovely range but it can do espresso. Save yourself the headache and get a decent hand grinder if you're trying to go inexpensive.

https://a.co/d/3Z20rjr

People really like this one.

The grinder is the biggest bang for your buck in espresso. Going cheap there will haunt the rest of the product and you'll end up chasing its ghost.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Can't imagine how much fun it is to season hand grinder burs.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm sure you could offload it if you wanted to in the espressoafficionatos discord

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I mean, it's a cool toy.

If you're using it as your only method for coffee, I'm sure it'll be horribly aggravating, but as a novelty or treat, congrats!

Now you've got to figure out thermal management and how to go through a bag of beans before they go. Low-volume usage might make tuning that grinder tricky.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

BrianBoitano posted:

On the other hand, flair + hand grinder is my only coffee maker* and most days I pull one shot in the morning and one in the afternoon, and I absolutely love it. Can't imagine being happier without spending 2 thousand bucks, and the process is great for me. 6 minutes from cold water to hot bean slurp, cleanup included.

What I'm saying is congratulations! It's a ton of fun and makes really good espresso.

* I have a French press and a kitchenaid electric grinder for large batches for guests, about twice a year

That's great feedback. I've only used a flair once or twice.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Make bespoke suppositories for the refined healing crystal crowd

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
New tamper day.

Let's see if this normcore actually improves poo poo. I've had some odd sideways squirting with the ims basket I'm using and my theory is that I'm not tamping evenly.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I loving love the Mara X look. I'm still doing research, hopefully will have the funds in May/June, but right now the front runners are profitech, the Mara X, and ECM. I also have a connection that is selling a Izzo Alex Duetto ii... I don't know about buying a 10 year old machine though. Does anyone have experience with the Alex?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I got my Flair set up and pulled three shots this morning. I think the portafilter is pressurized. It looks like the 2 in 1 filter that came on later models, but it's one piece. Hard to tell if it's truly pressurized though, the spout seems big. The puck screen has a rubber gasket on it, which gets stuck down in the portafilter easily.

First shot, maybe a little coarsely ground, 14g at about 2:1 output. I used Kirklands (Starbucks) medium roast which is pretty dark. It was ok, better than a moka pot and way better than the Mr Coffee espresso machine.

Second shot, Kirklands, way too fine a grind. Forgot the puck screen. Very sloppy channeled puck and no crema.

Third shot, my own Brazilian light roast, definitely too coarse. Tasted decent, but closer to a strong small coffee than espresso. Not much body or crema.

I want to get a bottomless portafilter and pressure gauge eventually, but I'm gonna need some time to learn this whole process better before more :homebrew:.

I found a Flair for 100 bucks with the pressure gage and some additional accessories. Looks like we're about to be flair buddies.

:toot:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Steve Yun posted:

My sister is cleaning out her kitchen clutter and gave me her Nespresso machine

I’m gonna give it the good old college try, first things first, should I open it up and clean out the hoses?

If you didn't own it originally, probably take a poke around. Who knows what's been put through it and if the scale has built up.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Why do you need both burs? Send like if you've got a niche zero and you're adding a duo, just keep them set up for pour over and espresso accordingly. Am I missing something?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Totally makes sense. Goonspeed on your big move!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Fellow has a nice discount during the mad days of November.

https://fellowproducts.com/products/ode-brew-grinder-gen-2?variant=40978992496740

Upgraded burrs too.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Spiggy posted:

I admittedly bought a puck screen when they were in vogue and even though they don't really help with extraction, they are great for keeping the group head clean. If you do get one I would recommend getting a teasing needle as well to make it a little easier to pry the screen it because those things like to get snug in the portafilter.

Keeping the group head clean is good enough reason for me. Also, if you are crankin' until you've got a sloppy puck, in my experience, the excess water sits above it so you can pour that off before you knock mud into your knockbox

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

obi_ant posted:

The Eureka Mignon Specialita owning goons, how is the noise like?

People piss and moan over the Sette 270w, never heard a complaint about the Mignon. I'll ask in the espresso discord.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Corb3t posted:

Looks like my TimeMore Sculptor is going to ship in the next couple weeks - I'm excited to dust off the Bambino again now that I'll have a truly stepless grinder to dial in my shots. I just got kinda lazy about dialing in beans every month with our Fellow Opus, which is a great grinder, but not something I'd recommend to somebody primarily using it for expresso. Lately we've been drinking v60 pourover, which we really enjoy.

I guess we're going to be one of "those people" with two grinders - my partner will never use the espresso machine, but she'll make v60 or chemex if I happen to not be around the house, so I want to keep the Opus around so the grind doesn't even need to be touched for either grinder.

I sold our old Baratza Encore to a non-coffee nerd friend of mine when we got the Opus and he was pretty happy with it overall, but he complained about static coffee getting everywhere so I told him about RDTing and he was amazed at how much it helped.

I did 60g of a light roast on the encore esp and forgot RDT.

Might as well have spread flour on the counter. :shrug:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hypnophant posted:

Coffee’s 800 years old, which is not to say I disagree

Pretty sure that plant has been around for a bit. Commercial coffee has been around that long.

Pedant insurance: and people have been brewing tea in Ethiopia for a good long time.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

And Frangelico or amaretto.

I think you just outlined dinner.

Maybe some liqor 43

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'll second that sentiment. Your best bet is to get the encore for pour over and pick up a good hand grinder if you're on a budget.

I like my bambino. I'm only upgrading to something else soon because I'm looking for a beefier machine with a 58mm basket. Won't lie, it's an aesthetic decision.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've got a bead on a nice dual boiler machine. Used, old, but with the mods I want already done and it should be a good kick in the rear end to get my coffee station woodworking project designed.

It's an Izzo Alex Duetto ii, so a circa 2012 machine, but 1300 for a well cared for, updated PID, flow control and pressure gauge on the e61, I think the price might be right.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 11, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Pro tip: get rid of the hopper and get the single dose hopper.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

amenenema posted:

I liked it because you could use the "lid" as the dosing cup (vs the flat round disc that is the standard hopper lid.

But I switched back because the Encore became the cold brew grinder and 100g of beans won't fit in the single-dose lol

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you get the bellows based single dose hopper it helps deal with the pretty significant retention.

You can use the single-dose hopper as a bellow and a dosing cup, plus it matches the rest of the machine.

I won't argue, silicone bellows would def do a better job, but it's pourover not espresso so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Corb3t posted:

Me and a friends Sculptor 063s arrived in the US today. Built like a tank. No issues with mine, other than some minor UX annoyances (button should be in front, wish it was easier to eye changes to the grinder notches, beans can get stock in the hopper).

Grind retention seems really low - way less messy than my Fellow Opus. Need to grab some cheap Costco beans to run through it, but I did my first 3 shots of espresso in months to just get a feel for what my Bambino can handle with a nice 1-minute pre-infusion - roughly the "1" notch.

Edit: I didn't get any shipping notification from TimeMore themselves.

Sorry, a 1 minute preinfusion?