Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It kind of looks like the thing Gale used to make coffee in Breaking Bad.

A lot of cold brewers are made out of lab equipment, the one pictured is pretty much exactly like the Hario (or other cold brewers) on the market, only 3 times more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

nm posted:

And awesomer. Don't forget that.

It is basically what gale would design. It is completely anal in that you can adjust the number of drops per drat second.

Right, my point was that the Hario brewer (and some other less expensive brewers) also have that ability, and people didn't go apeshit and spend $600+ on them just because they were on Kickstarter.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Well, obviously you'd need brand new lab equipment, and I don't have any specific links to glassware, I'd imagine it can't be too difficult to pick out an erlenmeyer flask, etc that are well suited:

http://www.labdepotinc.com/c-21-laboratory-glassware.php

I'm sure you can probably even find a stand to hold the dripper over the flask on most any chemistry supply website, it's just a matter of whether or not you like the aesthetics. The only thing any of the commercially available drippers really have to offer you is a fancy stand.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

I must be crazy, cuz I use Grindz about once a month. I don't use as mucha s they tell you to, and I'm still on the big container I bought like 2 years ago. It works really well.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

GrAviTy84 posted:

They are inherently different things. A drip machine is not a pour over is not press pot is not moka pot is not aeropress is not espresso.

That said, Technivorm and Bonavita BV1800 are the best drip machines that I know of.

Don't forget the Behmor Brazen!

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

As much as I love Alton Brown, I'm not sure him endorsing an espresso machine carries much weight.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Steve Yun posted:

Perhaps, but if you click the link you'll see it was also recommended by our resident coffee perfectionist Gravity as a low budget machine.

BTW I saw a used Saeco machine with a built in grinder. Are those any good or should I assume the grinder is subpar

I'm aware, I'm just not sure that Alton is much of a coffee connoisseur. Any machine with a built in grinder is most likely an automatic, and is not going to produce quality espresso (compared to the flexibility and control a semi automatic machine gives you).

As others have said many times before in this thread, the grinder is more important than the machine, and is going to do more to improve the espresso you get out of a < $500 espresso machine than anything else.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

DoktorLoken posted:

I have a love and hate relationship with espresso. I have a Baratza Preciso and a Starbucks Barista (Old rebadged Saeco Via Venzia AFAIK) machine. Making espresso is a chore and I suck at tamping, rarely getting good shots. In addition the soupy mess of not having a machine with a 3 way solenoid pisses me off (seriously if you're buying a machine get one with one) bothers me. But then I'll just get on a kick of making 3-4 espresso drinks a day which makes me love it too much to give up.

You're telling me you don't like gimmicky steam wands, crema enhancers and pressurized portafilters?!

Unfortunately, that's sort of the experience you get with lower end machines. :(

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

i am not so sure posted:

Is Lavazza coffee any good?

No.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

geetee posted:

Does anyone else besides Gravity have that bonnavita drip machine? I'm tempted to get one because I am lazy and it'll be more consistent than me. Just afraid that I'll consistently prefer to use the aeropress instead. I still can't pull off a manual pour over to safe my life. Too acidic.

For $70 more, I'd also consider the Behmor Brazen.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm really glad I bought a $5 thermometer. I was wondering why my coffee in the aeropress tasted so bitter and it turns out the water was too hot and was burning the grounds. They smelled wonderful when I ground it but after I took a sip it was just foul so I knew I was doing something wrong. Get a $5 thermometer.

Even better is a Thermopen. I realize most people scoff at the price and it took me a few years to take the plunge but I swear up and down every time I am forced to use a slow-to-read/inaccurate crap thermometer at someone else's house now. Best kitchen gadget ever.

Astronaut Jones fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 19, 2013

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

To be honest, even if you had a doser I'd suggest pulling out your scale every time if you are only making 1-2 drinks. I can "eyeball" my doses pretty accurately but I still think weighing is the way to go. I had a Silvia and Rocky at one point, my advice to you as far as hardware goes is a) Get a "click clack" lid for your Rocky, it makes purging retained coffee 100x easier, and b) Get an Auber PID kit and install it. Temp surfing sucks. A PID will improve your shots quite a bit (at least it did for me), as it eliminates all of the guess work.

I love Cappuccinos, so eventually I got tired of pulling shots, flipping on the steam and having to wait ~2 minutes before it came up to temp before I could steam and bought a DB, but at least with a PID you know when it's "go" time.

Also, if you like CCC, give Apollo a shot.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Whalley posted:

I spent two hours at work today pulling apart portafilters and groupheads and just getting my deep clean on with my shop's La Cimbali internals and man, I don't think I'd ever want a home espresso machine that wasn't at least a Speedster. I know that's ridiculous home espresso prices but goddamn there is so many tiny little things that can get so drat dirty and I'm too much of a neat freak to handle a machine that isn't designed for professionals to dismantle and abuse.

They have drugs to help with that sort of thing ya know.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

porktree posted:

How loud is the heat gun? I'm thinking of trying this out; but before I spend crazy money on a heat gun I want to make sure I'll be able to hear the coffee crack. (I'm thinking of putting the spare behmor cage I have on a spindle and crank so I can rotate it and roast with the gun. Of course I'm using all this as an excuse to acquire a heat gun and for science.

They are not as loud as a hairdryer, at least the crappy harbor freight one I have isn't.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Baron Dirigible posted:

Hey guys, I could use some help with dosing. I bought a digital scale to help me get a consistent method, and I've noticed that I'm dosing way more than I should be -- to fill my standard double 58mm basket, and get about 1.5oz in about 25 seconds, I'm grinding anywhere from 20 to 24g, depending on grind level. The beans are freshly roasted and I'm not tapping the basket to settle at all.

Should I be grinding much finer and simply not filling the basket as much? It seems odd that most sites dictate 14-18g as the upper bound for a double shot, but that wouldn't even fill my basket pre-tamping. I'm also looking at picking up some VST baskets, but don't know which size I should get...

If anyone cares I'm using a Gaggia Classic and a Compak k3t grinder. I should mention I've adjusted the OPV on the Gaggia using the flow test (getting about 130ml in 30 sec), but I figure if anything that would be lengthening the extraction?

20g for a shot is not unheard of, a lot of the blends I drink suggest 18-22g doses.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

dema posted:

Been having a lot of luck with 18g in an 18g VST basket. I got a bigger E-61 group type machine though.

I typically use 20g in the 18g "Ridgeless" La Marzocco baskets.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

They just introduced backlit Thermopens this week too! For all those times I've never found myself unable to read mine.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Me in Reverse posted:

OP is still very accurate.

The only 'new contender' in drip is the Bonavita at about $150. Technivorm still wins.

I would disagree. The Behmor Brazen is newer, and I would buy one over a Bonavita or a Technivorm.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Me in Reverse posted:

I haven't heard of the BraZen. I'm interested, though. Are there any technical reviews available?

There's a lot of reviews of it on Coffeegeek, as well as Home Barista. As you may or may not know, the Behmor guy(s) make a fine roaster and he branched out last year into the drip market. I will agree, the thing is goofy looking compared to the Bonavita, but it apparently makes a fine cup of coffee. It's apparently very thermally stable, has a great dispersion pattern, an insulated carafe, good timer features, etc.

I personally don't really drink much drip coffee (more of an espresso guy) so I just fire up the french press should I feel the urge. If I wanted drip though I would consider the Brazen, even if it is fugly.

My pride and joy (which I have probably posted at some point):

I just had to replace some o-rings in the steam arm so I tore out the pvc tubing in it (turning the no-burn arm into a burn-me arm), and tossed on one of those rubber things on the crook of it (not pictured). Steam is much drier and better overall but my god does that arm get hot. Plus, you have to have a wet cloth handy to clean it, which I always forget while steaming and it's caked on pretty well by the time I have returned with one (from 5 steps away).

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Flaggy posted:

How long does cold brewed coffee last? I have two toddy cold brew makers and I want to do them both at once than store them in a glass pitcher in my fridge, using about 1/4 cup every morning. Will it last me a while or should I just make one at a time and rotate the two systems each week? The packaging says stays fresh up to three weeks but I don't really trust that.

I keep mine either in the toddy container with the lid on or a mason jar that I vacuum seal and it seems to last over a week without a problem. I don't know that I'd buy 3 weeks however, I feel like it would oxidize by then.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

To be totally honest, if you don't have the budget for a reasonable grinder, you probably ought to hold off on buying any type of espresso machine (or any other coffee gadget) until you can afford one. Preground coffee is just not going to cut it.

A decent grinder is more or less the cornerstone of good coffee, whether it be espresso, pour over, drip or otherwise.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

robotox posted:

I heard that they're really messy, to which I pointed out that dried coffee isn't hard to clean up and the person so it was really bad. I also heard that the burrs wear out surprisingly quickly given that they're, you know, conical burrs that should inherently have a long function cycle. I think I may have heard that, despite being advertised as having conical burrs, they actually had flat ones, though that may be me thinking about a different brand.

The person I heard it from could be full of poo poo, I suppose, but they've generally been reputable in the past. Regardless, that's why I was kind of asking in the thread, just in case it was bull poo poo.

Well, I can't speak for the Encore as I have a Vario, but none of those things are true in my experience. That being said, the Vario is a different animal from the others in terms of burrs.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

I picked up one of those $5 Sweet Maria's tins this week since I am going to embark on a roasting adventure, and while it totally seems good for $5, you have to make sure you never try to wash it because the diaphragm in the bottom is paper and will get hosed.

I also have one of these Tightac 1lbers that is pretty nice. I need to buy a new one however as I dropped it a long time ago and I got a crack on the side of the lid. It doesn't inhibit the air tightness or the functionality but I sperg about it every time I use the thing. It's lasted me a couple years though and you can wash it out if you want to really get old oils out.

If I buy another, I might buy the 1/2lb version since if I am buying roasted coffee online, it tends to be 12oz bags and there is quite a bit of room in the 1lber.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Ok, first roast critique time. This is Sweet Maria's Espresso Monkey blend. I don't think I took it far enough but it was hard to gauge when to stop seeing as this was my first time and I wasn't sure how much (if any) carryover happens after I stopped applying heat.

I was roasting with a harbor freight heatgun, first crack was around 8:15-8:30, I stopped at 10:00. It was hard to tell if I got to second crack or not.

(Sorry for the crappy picture)

Think it'll be drinkable in a day? Once I was "done" and came back inside, it seemed WAY lighter than I thought when compared to some roasted coffee I had.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

rockcity posted:

That's super uneven. I'd be willing to hazard a guess that not all the beans even made it through first crack.

Yeah, I was afraid that was the case. I'll chalk this one up to a learning experience and give another batch a try later and try to get a more even roast.

Update: I went back and roasted them a bit more (changing my agitation method) and it looks a lot better. I realize that's not ideal but they were going in the garbage anyway, at least this way I'll see if it's totally undrinkable.

Astronaut Jones fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 12, 2013

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

So that half rear end home roast of Espresso Monkey I did turned out to be delicious. I shot a little video of a gorgeous shot today but in typical goon fashion I didn't realize that my barenaked goon chest was visible in the reflection of the machine.

Perhaps tomorrow I will reshoot it when I have covered my shame.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

When I'm using my Toddy, I use the standard 12oz coffee to 7 cups of water with good results.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Bobx66 posted:

RE: that Bodum grinder. I have been using that for about a year for a drip grind, however I realize that the grind isn't consistent throughout at all. Does anyone else have experience with the grinder? What should I get next if this one breaks on me?

The answer is always Baratza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

newreply.php posted:

My first Baratza had the knob missing, second worked until my gf broke it, third one won't stop grinding until you pull the plug if you dare touch the pulse button, fourth one's has been calibrated all fuckily and is way too fine at the finest setting and not-quite right at any other setting except coarse french press grinds.

I really loved the second one because it worked as expected for 9 months but all the other ones have been lemons.

Yikes. I can only speak from my personal experience, but I bought my vario used and it's got at least 3 years on it without issue.

That being said, I hear their customer service is awesome so I hope you got your issues worked out by Baratza.