Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SlinkyMink posted:

How can consistency vary between an electric and a hand grinder? That's genuinely interesting. I've never heard that be a thing before. Does the variability in speed on the drive shaft change the grind somehow?

Burr RPM changes the distribution of coffee particle size quite a lot.

Good article on it: https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/coffee-grinder-rpm/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Key with inverted is to put the top on and gently press out the air. Extremely satisfying watching the filter suddenly darken as the liquid meets it. That way your plunger is further in and there's minimal chance of accidents.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

ulvir posted:

lance hedrick's latest video on "seasoning" is a big steaming pile. massaged axes to make any change, whatever it's showing, seem larger than it is, most of the graphs don't show any significant change at all, and then he's doubling down on reddit and in the comments to deflect from the very obvious elephant in the room of sustainability and pointless food waste from such a dogshit recommendation "please grind through 5-20kg of coffee that you won't drink because it makes the grinder so much better, but oh no I didn't say you had to, is little baby mad at data?" :jerkbag:

Yeah I really wasn't a fan of it and if, as it seems, it's about blunting the burrs then surely just run a file across them a couple of times?

In cooler coffee science news Chris Hendon of the turbo shot paper has started a podcast. It's him and a post doc with an invited coffee professional doing a review of an interesting paper. I've enjoyed the first two episodes

https://podcastaddict.com/coffee-lit-rev/episode/173845898

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Vegetable posted:

The slow feed thing feels like a problem grinders should solve. Standing over your grinder and slow-pouring your beans is so goofy. Not to mention it keeps you closest to the noisy thing at a time you want to be farthest from it.

Augers do this and from what i understand you can't replicated the single bean finding on grinders that have them

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

His specific recipe for pour over actually has some basis behind it. It wasn’t about hyperfancy beans, but hyperfancy grinders. His claim is that most pour over recipes by big YouTubers are conceived on $2k grinders that you’re unlikely to have access to.

In short, the shittier your grinder the more fines. With more fines you increase inconsistency and stalling with a V60.

The whole fines discourse is ridiculous. The majority of YouTubers go on about less fines being good but the majority of your surface area of your coffee (and therefore the actual coffee) comes from fines.

Watch a video of someone who sifts out the fines from.coffee and brews it, they universally say it's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Fellow just announced their Aiden smart connected pourover machine for $365. It looks pretty cool if pourover is your jam:

https://fellowproducts.com/products/aiden-precision-coffee-maker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ydY4B6T1Y

Played around with one a little at the London coffee festival yesterday. Looked good from a far but was pretty plasticky when I got to touch it. Removable water tank was nice but the head didn't look very different to a cheap drip machine. That said I didn't get a chance to try and coffee from it and they might have done enough neat software stuff to make things better.