Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Is this A Barazta Maestro with a Starbucks logo?
http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=380R
I'm kind of getting sick of manual grinding every day and honestly the Hario Mini Mill Slim doesn't seem to be that consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cuttlefish Party posted:

Home roasting can be fun and even cost-effective, but if you drink coffee rarely, it might be a bit much starting out. Cheap roasting methods can be a crapshoot (and a bit smoky), and if you haven't had much properly-roasted coffee before, how will you know if you did it right?

If this college student lives in the dorms, I don't think home roasting is a great idea due to lack of a stove for the popcorn popper and pissing your dorm off with smoke.
Particularly if you can't do the popcorn popper method, the initial investment will be pretty high.
A bag of roasted beans from my local roaster (Temple coffee) costs $14-17 depending on the bean and lasts 2 weeks or more. That's a lot beans for the prices of a standalone roaster.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Another Eastsider here. Now I'm sure there are many different ways of going about this and let me suggest probably the shittiest one.

I started drinking coffee at lovely diners back when I lived in Wisconsin. There's only one way to go from there.... up! I'd probably just go to a breakfast place like the Brown Bag Cafe (hell, even Denny's) or something else around here and getting standard drip coffee. The way I look at it is this:

If you've never had beer before, don't start with something like Sint Bernardus Abt 12. You'll only spoil yourself and might have a difficult time learning to appreciate the better things. Start with Miller Lite. Cheap, not much flavor (but better than Bud), easy to drink (in mass quantities). Coffee, as well as beer is generally considered to be an acquired taste. As you begin to develop a taste for it, you might discover that you want to try something better. Then you can start exploring better options.

All of this being said, I'm not a huge coffee drinker and would like to explore more of it myself. I drink at least a cup or two a day but it is usually just drip. Luckily, I now live in a great part of the country to see what the world of coffee has to offer. I'm not a snobby dick when it comes to coffee, but since I started with standard lovely diner stuff I can now aspire to be a snobby dick and hopefully will be someday. :colbert:

Basically, start small and work your way up.
I disagree. A good cup of a high-quality city roast Ethiopian will do someone not used to coffee much better than the combination of burnt and over extracted diner coffee. lovely coffee will just make someone think they don't like coffee. Lighter roasted ethopians give a wide variety of fairly easily determined tastes that make coffee snobbery fun. It tastes great and is notably different to even the untrained palate from the typical poo poo.
I say the same thing with beer. No, you shouldn't start with a belgian, but you don't need to start with swill. Miller tasted like piss when I started drink and still does. Something simple, affordable with more mass market tastes but of reasonable quality like a Sam Adams makes more sense.
(I am not comparing Sam Adams with Ethiopian coffee)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

However, this is where we differ. I don't find diner coffee to be bad. I don't consider Miller to be bad. If someone offers me either, I won't turn it down because it isn't good enough for me. They are just fine, but maybe not good or great.
I actually like bad diner coffee, but I don't think that it is good. It is hot and goes great with grease and it keep coming!
However, it is the kind of coffee that makes people think they don't like coffee.
(I also never turn down free beer, even pabst)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Comic posted:

Myself? I can appreciate coffee, but haven't moved up to actually having good equipment. What I do have is okay at best, but when I first got it? I was amazed. My wallet just can't catch up with the advancement of my tastes. As such I don't really bother on paying a premium on super fresh coffee as the difference would likely be wasted in the machine.
A hario hand grinder and a clever dripper isn't that expensive.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

A little spring and paair of washers will fix that. Take it to a good hardware store, explain your need, pay less than $2, and walk out with a fixed grinder.
Actually, the slim mill, unlike the Skerton, already has a spring. It certain holds a lot better than the Skerton, but isn't perfect.

I have the slim mill and have the same issue. What I find helps is to clean the poo poo out oif it on a regular basis, but you'll still have some issues.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

rockcity posted:

I'd look at Gaggia. They're typically the most recommended in that price range. I have an older version of this one and it works very well for the price. The site below also has a promo going on for 20% off Gaggia units, so it brings it down to a pretty reasonable price.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/new_baby.cfm

Does your dad have a good grinder to go with it?
The other option is manual pull machines.
The basic versions of those can be found near $600 and they make excellent espresso once you learn what you're doing. They can be a pain in the rear end untiul you figure them out though.
The grinder is extra important for these though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Copernic posted:

Has anyone used tonx.org or could recommend a coffee-by-mail service? I'm thinking about asking for a Tonx membership for Xmas. All I want is something that's an improvement on supermarket whole bean bags.

E: I would love to visit a local roaster but Torrance, California is an empty sea of chains.

Are you sure? Here in friggin Redlands we have 2 roasters. I would imagine closer to civilization you'd have soemthing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

HI INLAND EMPIRE BUDDY o/
Party like its 1999. Because it is like 1999. Cupcakes are starting to be a "thing." Augie's is pretty awesome though.

Yeah, I'd look specifically for coffee roasters on google. You'll likely have one closer than you think.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

If you do ship, I can't recommend my old local enough. Temple coffee in sacramento roasts weekly or more, gets amazing beans that rotate quickly, and really knows what they're doing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

yokken posted:

i haven't read any advertising spiel other than rave reviews pretty much all over the entire internet. i'm not a big espresso guy anyway, i just want good tasting coffee. if i want espresso i guess i can go into minneapolis to some hipster-rear end coffee shop and buy a cup. but why would i? that's why i'm investing in this stuff.

i'll see about getting the skerton instead, i was just gonna get the hario mini. but i don't have the money for a maestro. like i said, start small and if i like what i taste, i can get a better grinder.

Word is that the mini is actually better than the skerton as it is spring loaded. It is just smaller.
The mini is fine, but not great. Better than any sub $50 electric at least.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abu-Saleh posted:

Am I supposed to feel like experiencing acid-reflux every time after ingesting coffee? This is proving to be very troubling to me because it breaks my concentration during lectures, the very reason I drink coffee to begin with.

How are you making it? French press can be rougher on the stomach than something with a filter like a pour over.

I love good coffee, but nothing beats a perfectly made cap (not too much milk) with really good beans.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

Holy poo poo the Temple Guatemalan Hunapu is good poo poo. So much flavor from a pretty medium-mildly roasted bean.

http://templecoffee.myshopify.com/products/guatemala-antigua-hunapu-12oz-5lbs

Glad Temple in Sacramento was recommended here as I've never heard of it.
Temple is pretty much amazing and as far as I can tell are one of the more respected roasters on the west coast. My local here (which roasts their own) in socal has a Temple mug on display.
You should check their calender, they do free coffee tastings on Fridays. Their single origin espressos are pretty special too.
They're basically why I'm a coffee nerd.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

seravid posted:

Oh, so comparing coffee to flowers and chocolate and berries is actually a thing? Well, now I'm super-hyped.

You clearly haven't had good coffee yet.
Ethopians in particular seem to have distinct fruit or floral notes. Enough that even before I became a snob, I noticed (and that is why I'm a snob).
You won't taste them in overroasted beans, but a good city roast they come out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Does anybody have any tips on using or taking care of a manual grinder? My parents have a second one around the house (my mom uses the first one as a pepper grinder), so I may use the second one for myself whenever I want coffee (I drink mostly tea, so it isn't something I'll be drinking all that often). I found a place in town that serves decent coffee, and I ended up buying a small sampler bag of their bold blend.
Take it apart and clean it every once in a while.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Are you dumping boiling water on the grounds? The water should be hot 195-205 F, but not boiling. Boiling water causes bitter.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

that Vai sound posted:

I'd also recommend trying filtered water instead of tap water, if you're not already. Some people have good tap water, but I don't know what your situation is.
Yeah, I brew with the water cooler water at my work, but our tap water is basically white (minerals)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bobx66 posted:

No poo poo Sherlock. Did I not use enough qualifiers to stop your spergmeter from going off?

Jackass.

And you're calling him a sperger?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Loucks posted:

I was given a hario skerton for Xmas. I plan to use it with a clever coffee dripper. Is there any gain to be had on the fine end of the grind spectrum from modification?
No, but you don't want too fine really.
They say fine, but that is really because most people are used to the giant grids for french press, but really fine, it will over extract.,

nm
Jan 28, 2008

seravid posted:

Got my CCD :woop:

But - as expected - something went wrong. The drip started well enough but ended up very restricted, at 4 minutes it still had some coffee in it. 'Grinds are too fine' would be anyone's first guess, but take a look and tell me those are too fine:

Zoom in!

Run the Enhancement Algorithms!

If anything, (to my untrained eye) that looks too coarse.

Too fine.
Your grinder is messing up and letting some huge grinds through, but most are much smaller than that. If you have a hario, move your grind about 1-2 clicks corser and see what happens. Remember that what works best will vary on the bean. Some of mine need a much finer grind than others.
Also, are you remembering to stir twice?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Just ordered the Rancilio and Vario combo from Seattlecoffeegear.

I'll shut up for a while, at least until it arrives...

Ok, edit with a question. What's the general consensus on the best roaster that ships? I'm looking for less-oily beans that have that smooth chocolaty taste that great espresso consists of.

Any online shops you guys recommend? I've seen several suggestions, but none have been mentioned as the top roaster.

Thanks.
This is a blend, but it rocks my world
http://templecoffee.myshopify.com/products/dharma-blend
They also do varying SO espresso which is interesting, but Dharma just does it for me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

wildlele posted:

I got a Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 for xmas and am now wondering about filters. The OP says to avoid gold plated filters, but if I don't mind cleaning it, what is the issue with it? I have some Costco #4 filters that I currently use with my old coffee maker, if I stay paper are those acceptable or would I need to switch to something different?
Metal filters let some grounds though. I'm very jealous though.

I'm starting to get sick of my hario mini mill. It has been giving me uneven grounds. I was planning to mod it with a better spring, but there is so much drat play in it like the guy a page or so was complaining about. The vertical movement isn't really the issue, it is the lateral movement. Yeah, I know it is a $40 grinder, but it is a $40 hand grinder, I expected some QC.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

Isn't the whole point of the mod to fix that exact problem? Why the hell haven't you done it?
No, the spring mod fixes the up and down play. The mini mill doesn't really have this issue (it already has a spring, unlike the skerton, which works, ok, but not grea).
The issue is the side to side play. It exists in the outer burr, the inner burr, and the shaft. What I need to do is shim the poo poo out of it with tape. The problem is then you can't disassemble it and clean it so easy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Any recommendations for Clever Coffee Dripper brewing times? I've got a bag left of regular drip grind and it seems to be overly bitter thanks to the coarseness of the grind affecting the brew time.
4 minutes.

Make sure your temps are low enough. It takes 5-6 minutes for my water to go from boiling to 205 F in my boiler. If it is better insulated, take the top off.

Adjust grind size in the future. Grind size will depend on the beans. Bitter is generally a sign of over extraction, not under.

---
I'll try the tape mod on my mill.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

I am under the impression that good grinders are really important for espresso, and less and less important as the grind size increases. Since french presses require really coarse coffee, I don't worry too much about the grinder.
Not completely true. A decent grinder is still pretty important, it just so happens that it is cheaper to make a grinder that does a good coarse then a good fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

seravid posted:

After you secure the shaft and the inner burr, check if you have an eccentric rotation.
Check.
God loving dammit.
It is like an untrued bicycle wheel. When you turn it, exactly at the same lace it catches on the outer burr.
Guess I'm buying a refurb Maestro Plus.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 2, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TheFrailNinja posted:

Doesn't really bother me that much, as long as it isn't affecting flavor. It does a lovely job though, there was a whole array of sizes. From silt to a half a bean, the average being coarse grind.
The thing is it is affecting flavor. It may taste fine, but it could taste better.
The other issue is that it creates issues. With exactly the same settings and temps and time, I can brew two cups of coffee, one that is bitter and over extracted and one that tastes fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Goddamnnit, they are out of refurb maestro pluses.
They're listed right there, but nooooo. . .out of stock.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

AriTheDog posted:

As someone who is a serious coffee snob, I think most of the tasting notes are total horseshit. Additionally, it's really difficult to brew great drip that is extracted just enough to really highlight the specific flavors. I've definitely tasted blueberries in coffee in a strong way, and it was really cool, but it's not going to happen unless you're really good at making coffee.

To TheFrailNinja, it sounds like your coffee was ground too finely, causing overextraction (bitterness).
I can pick up the notes in Ethiopian. I have an easier time picking up the notes in beans or grounds than in the coffee for other regions. But I do notice the difference between different good beans, even within the same country.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Well, I had an amazon gift cert and bought a new maestro plus for like $100 after the gift cert.
It better rock my CCD world!

hotsauce posted:

Edit: The Vario is made in Taiwan...thought these things were made in Germany?? Cheap labor FTW I suppose....
Burrs in Europe, assembled in asia. Pretty standard.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So I got my Maestro Plus.
It is broken. I hate my life.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bob_McBob posted:

What's wrong with it? Was it a refurb?
It was new.
The timer is busted, so it just runs continuously when it is plugged in.
This problem: http://www.baratzallc.com/wp-content/uploads/Switch-replacement.pdf
But I'm not cracking open a 1 day old grinder and voiding the warranty.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kirtar posted:

If I want a decaf for when I feel like having coffee soon before going to sleep, what are good (preferably inexpensive since it'll likely be around for a while) options? I know that the water process decafs are supposed to be good, but I'd like to see if I can get something for maybe 10-12 dollars a bag including shipping if applicable. I suppose I could just order two bags (one decaf one regular) from somewhere.
Remember that basically you need a higher quality coffee for decaf than regular as the process leaches the flavor out. A bad place to cheap out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kirtar posted:

Yet they still bother to get beans from different origins for some reason (probably just so that they say they do). As for the brand consistency reason, that's probably a good part of it due to the brand mentality that seems to be prevalent.
In fact, my understanding is that they buy decent quality beans. Not exactly single origin small estate stuff, but better quality than average. And they they ruin it.
I think it is the consistency and ease issue, but it is a shame.
Also, a lot of people really buy the "dark roast=flavor" thing as light roasts from grocery stores generally tastes like water.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Desiree Cousteau posted:

African and Carribean, on the other hand, I can't taste anything notable.

Wait, what are you drinking? High quality Ethopians and Kenyans have the most easily distinguished flavors.
I was drinking an Ethopian Tchembe the other week that you actually could taste the "red banana" note the roaster (Temple coffee) claimed.
I find central and south americans all kind of blend together. I can tatste the differences, but I can't pick out flavors like with Ethopians.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Desiree Cousteau posted:

Which is my point. Hey, its what you pay attention to. I live in w(h)ine country and was raised on jori clay, and I can't tell the difference between a pinot noir and one-buck-chuck or Dago-red in a box.
African stuff probably doesn't have the elements I'm used to and look for, ya know, taste-wise.
Very true.
You should play around with the Africans more though, they are the most fun. I've had ethopians that taste more like herbal tea with lemon than coffee.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

6 cups?

I think that's a little more than you should be putting through a pourover at a time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Anderron Shi posted:

I think it holds two runs worth of coffee. What I'm referring to is something that you drip the coffee into for serving purposes. I believe it has a glass lid to keep the coffee hot. I am interested because I frequently have guests over, and it'd be nice to have all matching Hario stuff.
Like this?
http://www.elliotdepot.com/catalog/show/24041

That's more like a cup and a half though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Anderron Shi posted:

No, more like this: http://prima-coffee.com/catalog/hario-server-v60-1000-ml-clear-glass-8638...but even that's only around 4 cups. I could've sworn there was a bigger one, I just can't find it at the moment.
That is ~6 6oz "cups" which is what some use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Gaph posted:

I'm in the same boat. This Hario has a lot of good reviews. My only concern is the capacity, only ~1/4 cup of beans or enough for 12 ounces?

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-MSS-1B-Mini-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B001804CLY
Oh it is big enough, but they seem to be pretty low quality these days. I have modded the poo poo out of my mini mill by now. It has an eccentric shaft (due to a poor build quality), which means no matter what I do the grind is very inconsistent. I've had to unmod it a bit, otherwise, the burrs would just rub against each other.
I don't really think the Mini Mill should be in the OP anymore. It may have been good one, but it is a POS now.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 28, 2012