Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

404notfound posted:

Oh speaking of the Kinu M47, I finally went looking for a lid and found this one on AliExpress that works like a charm, though it'll take a few weeks between ordering and receiving.

It's a very snug fit, but the easiest way to insert it is to do it perpendicular to the handle, so that the handle is sticking out to the sides, relative to the notch of the lid.

It's pretty ridiculous that a $350+ grinder doesn't come with some way to prevent popcorning (I developed a habit of grinding over the sink to minimize stray bean fragments flying all over the kitchen), but at least there's a relatively cheap fix

You are one of my favorite people right now. I have to constantly vacuum one small section of my apartment because that's where all the popcorning beans congregate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Got a few coffee related Christmas gifts, including new handles for the Decent and some Kruve latte glasses. The glasses are massive for my hands and are a little wonky feeling compared to my old cups, but I should get used to them before too long. My latte art isn't really "clean", but it's getting a hell of a lot better than it was.

Spiggy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 26, 2022

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1082355744/espresso-coffee-distribution-tool-wdt

I don't know how bad shipping and import fees to Canada are, but I've been using this and don't see the point in anything more fancy.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

BlackMK4 posted:

Any of you move from an E61 or something to a DE1 and not be sold on the thing right away? Second day with it and I am kind of considering just selling it off, it is a bit too ... science project-y / quirky in terms of workflow.

I'm probably not the most sane person with regards to espresso workflow as I use a hand grinder, but I went from a Silvia to DE1 w/ an Acaia Lunar and it has been a huge upgrade for my workflow. Being able to auto-adjust steam time via DSX, stop-by-weight via bluetooth, and the one touch flush have helped my morning and post-work routine quite a bit.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Mu Zeta posted:

Absolutely do not manual grind your espresso

I will continue to hand grind my espresso until the Acaia Orbit or P64 become easy to buy.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Also you can figure out dose size by sticking a nickel on your puck, locking it in, then popping it out and seeing if there's a dent. If not keep add .5g until you hit the final dose that doesn't leave a mark. That'll help keep you from underdosing as well as make sure updosing doesn't cause the puck to swell and break on the grouphead. And yeah, just keep going finer- it's a bit of a meme at this point but grinding finer is usually the answer.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I really wish that the Opus went with flat 64mm burrs so that SSPs could be added in down the line. I get that it's made to budget, but it'd be nice to have some more competition in the DF64 section of the market.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Any general tips for anaerobics for espresso, particularly on a Decent? My local roaster got some in but they're in 225g bags so I'd prefer to spend as little time dialing in as possible.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
My bin is right next to my espresso maker. I just fold up a cloth a few times to cushion the portafilter, give it a quick thwack, then rinse the remains in the sink. I'd probably get a knock box if I composted but so far this has been been working pretty well.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I've found that I tamp a lot more evenly with a calibrated tamper even if the concept of tamping weights has been debunked. I think having a little give before bottoming out keeps me more aware of the position my wrist is in for whatever reason.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
10 months out the year I'm going to be a coffee snob but PSL season is pure basic mode for me.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Join the Kinu Crew and crank it with us crazy folk.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I admittedly bought a puck screen when they were in vogue and even though they don't really help with extraction, they are great for keeping the group head clean. If you do get one I would recommend getting a teasing needle as well to make it a little easier to pry the screen it because those things like to get snug in the portafilter.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I poured a shot of espresso into some chocolate ice cream I was making one time, expecting it to be like adding coffee into brownies to enhance the chocolate. Instead it overpowered it but not in a bad way. Overall 4/5 and I don't even really care for coffee flavored stuffs

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The Decent is a bit overwhelming at first but you'll probably find a profile or three that fit your beans and stick with em.

Do the newer ones come with the no battery mod on the tablet? I had to get rid of mine recently since the battery was starting to swell up.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
There was someone selling a 78S locally at the Kickstarter price I almost jumped on, but by dumb luck I found someone selling a Lagom P64 nearby. It feels nice that my setup is finally complete after ten years in the hobby, even though I'll be missing out on my morning exercise with the Kinu every day.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The newer SSP unimodal. I'm going to give them an honest try since I'm theoretically a clarity before texture person, even though it sounds like they can be finicky for espresso.

I ended up making two shots this morning, one at the Decent's "best overall pressure" profile and one turbo shot. The first was pretty good for a first try, but I didn't eyeball the grind right on the turbo shot which took too long to pull yet still tasted under extracted.

The reviews always bring up how quiet this thing is and for good reason. I ran some junk beans through last night at half the max motor speed and my partner thought that was the ambient volume. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, and even if I get buyers remorse I got it cheap enough that I could sell it for what I paid.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yeah I'd been using that profile for lighter roasts and it worked pretty well, though a pain to dial in at times with the Kinu. Do you have a general grind setting range you've been using on the Lagom?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Odd, I did right at 1.2 this morning and was getting a 2ml/sec flow with an 18g dose. Maybe it's a skill issue and I need to work on pick prep.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yesterday I went to the local shop that carries Nordic roasts and had a pretty cool experience. I was a little miffed at first that they didn't keep the beans in the lobby, but then the barista gave me the sommelier experience. He asked the notes I like, then pulled a few boxes from the back and told me what he did/didn't like about ones he brought out. I ended up with a box of Dak Rainbow since I'll jump on anything with citrus on the label.

I proceeded to go home and pulled the worst looking shot I've made since I made my first espresso- just way too coarse even for a high-flow, low pressure profile. It didn't taste terrible though still on the sour side. This morning was a hundred times better with a strong lavender forward flavor and a bright fruit finish. I know it's pretentious to wax poetic about coffee, but that was one of the best drinks I've had since my first proper pour over at a specialty shop.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Mail me that left bag thanks in advance.

After making espresso 99% of the time I tried making the gesha I got in a v60 a couple of times and I cannot dial in a pour over to save my life. I might start experimenting with Americanos since I've been craving some longer drinks lately.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Gonna plug a local place if anyone wants some funk- https://beancoffeelab.com/

I got a bag of the tropical roast and even with just a few days rest it's definitely got that banana-y taste to it. Between discovering Dak and this I've noticed that I'm starting to trend toward more weird, processed coffees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
If you're in North Dallas I recommend Native Coffee. Other than that I like Ascension and Merit for picking up beans but have been a bit underwhelmed by their in store brews.