Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I'm cold-brewing coffee by coarse grinding about 1/3 cup beans, dumping them into a mason jar, filling it with water, and leaving it in the fridge for 12ish hours. I then paper-filter it by just dumping it into the top of my Mr. Coffee, return it to the fridge, and drink it over the course of a week or so for breakfast.

Am I committing some obvious coffee faux pas here, or does the above sound pretty solid? Above all, it is super convenient in the mornings: I often just drink it cold, mixed with a little bit of milk, so I don't even need to wait for water to get hot.

Edit:

Bob_McBob posted:

First, you need good coffee. You can buy green and roast yourself, or buy from a good roaster that roasts to order. For an excellent list of high quality roasters that almost all do mail order, check out Home-Barista's List of our favorite Roasters. This covers the US, Canada, Europe, and some other countries.

Thanks for this - it looks like there's a retailer on this list a little less than a mile from my apartment. I'll have to check it out!

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

no such thing for coffee, really, just buy the 70bux baratza maestro refurb, it's worth it in the long run.

Forever ago, I picked up a like $15-25 Black & Decker burr grinder. Is this Utter poo poo, Better than a blade-grinder, all/none of the above, etc? At the rate I drink coffee, something better would probably be a sound investment, but I'm not so sure for our friend who doesn't drink coffee that often.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Where in Seattle are you? There's a place in Fremont that just opened up two or three weeks ago, Milstead & Co, and they are really good. Like, "get beans in twice a week every week, refuse to brew drip coffee that'll sit in pots on moral grounds" good. It's not the cheapest, but it's by far the best coffee that I've ever had. Both the guys working there are frankly a little obsessive; last time I was there, they were talking about how they had to brew their new Kenya 15 seconds longer in order to get perfect results out of a Clever.

They're on 34th, just west of Troll, and are kind of hard to find since they don't have a sign up yet. It's right between the History House and Istanbul Imports.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

origami posted:

Do any of you brew and then make your own iced coffee? Any tips aside from 'just add water and chill'?

I'm doing it in a mason jar, actually. I take 1/3 cup beans, coarse grind them, dump them in the jar, fill it with water, and stick it in the refrigerator for 12 hours. I use a paper filter - actually just put the filter in the top of a Mr. Coffee, and dump the cold-brewed coffee in that. Depending on how I'm feeling, I'll either mix it 2 parts coffee to 1 part milk or 1 part water, plus ice.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I moved to Seattle, got a burr grinder and a press pot, and shopped around for a shop where I could get beans roasted "yesterday." I love coffee more than I ever have. And then I have to travel. I picked up a cup of Seattle's Best at the airport... and I couldn't drink it. It was burned, ground, stored for days, and then burned again. I could tell. I had to throw it away. You fuckers have ruined lovely coffee for me. :(

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Bob_McBob posted:

The Maestro and Maestro Plus both have 40 adjustment steps and the same burr set. The Plus has a timer switch instead of an on/off switch, a pulse button on the front, and a weighted base (it weighs 3 lbs more than the Maestro). In terms of grind quality, there is no difference.

The $70 refurb Maestro is a sweet deal, and I don't recommend spending any more unless you want to go for the Virtuoso. I always weigh and grind per dose with the cheaper Baratzas, so the pulse button is not much use. The timer is only useful if you absolutely cannot turn off the grinder when it's finished. The metal base is actually more of a benefit than you would think, since it stops the grinder from moving around on the counter so easily. I still wouldn't spend the extra unless you want to go for the Virtuoso, which has significantly better grind quality than either Maestro.

Looking at the Baratza site, I can't find Maestro (refurb or no) at $75; only Maestro Plus refurb at $95. Do they just not make Maestros anymore, and I'm out of luck if I want a refurb?

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 1, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Abu-Saleh posted:

Instant, usually two packets because I drink from a thermos bottle, also a ton of creamer. I don't want to walk around a box of tums in my pocket :sigh:

Er, maybe try some brewed coffee, as opposed to instant? If you're willing to make the investment, a cheap burr grinder and a Mr. Coffee from Target will run you something like $30-$40 combined, and if you use good quality beans from a local roaster, the coffee will be leaps and bounds above what you're getting from instant.

If you're not sure whether you can handle brewed coffee any better than instant, you might want to try getting some drip from a local coffee shop first. It's the same thing you'll make at home, and you don't have to pay for the setup if you're not sure that it's what you want.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

seravid posted:

What the... :psyduck:

I've got some Coava Rophi with a somewhat distinct strawberry nose right now. (Seattle goons, get down to Milstead & Co. right the hell now this stuff is delicious.)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that maybe you just don't like coffee. It could be bad beans, or improper brewing method, or... you just don't like coffee. It's supposed to be bitter. It's supposed to have a strong flavor, which makes "watery" seem kind of suspect, but I guess that's kind of subjective.

I'd usually recommend that you go find a good coffee shop, where you can try out good coffee prepared in a couple different ways, before you go all-in with your own setup.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Is there a point at which grinding your coffee right before you use it isn't going to do much to save it? My parents got like 10 pounds of coffee from Costco, and immediately put it all in the freezer. I am not going to be able to convince them to get better coffee, or put in a modicum more effort than it takes to dump grounds into the top of a Mr. Coffee in the morning. Are they going to see any benefit from using fresh-ground-correct-fineness coffee, or is that a waste of effort at this point?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Starks posted:

I bought a french press and I'm not really looking to drop 100 bucks on a good grinder yet, but I have a cheap electric blade one that gives a pretty inconsistent grind. Is it better to still buy whole beans and grind them using the lovely grinder, or am I better off getting my beans ground when I buy them?

If you can afford a $20 burr grinder from Black & Decker, I'd recommend that as kind of an "entry grinder." You're going to get a much more consistent grind than from a blade grinder, even from a crappy burr grinder.

If you don't want to drop $20 on that, I'd still stick with your blade mill over pre-ground coffee.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

that Vai sound posted:

Took about two weeks off from coffee for no particular reason other than for a change of pace, and it feels really good to drink a good cup again.

Why is it that Starbucks roasts things so dark? Wouldn't it save on time and energy by roasting less? Do the beans taste so bad that they need to hide the flavor? Are people expecting a burnt taste from coffee, and they are catering to them?

People expect Starbucks to "taste like Starbucks," every time, wherever they are in the world. The only way to get such a consistent roast is to burn away any of the origin characteristics, so only the roast characteristics remain. Consistency is more important than quality.

The more cynical side of me also says they do it so it's harder to tell if the beans are stale or brewed improperly, but I can't really speak to that.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

grabulasa posted:

I know each brew methods have their own pros and extract different nuances from the beans yadayada but I'm gonna make this statement based on my experience:

Clever Coffee Dripper >>Aeropress

There I said it. Might be a personal preference but I'm looking for ppl who share the same sentiment. The CCD just brings out the coffee better compared to the aggressive aero.

I've had a similar experience. I've got a french press, a Clever, and an Aeropress, and Clever is by far my favorite. However, I'm terribly lazy about brewing my coffee - I eyeball amounts of coffee, volumes of water, and don't own a thermometer. I'd be willing to believe that Clever's just harder to screw up than anything else.

That being said, I'd love to hear some of the thread's favorite Aeropress methods, because I'm almost definitely doing it wrong.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah, I just dump 1/3 cup coffee in a mason jar, fill it with water, and stick it in the fridge for 12 hours. When it's done, I just stick a filter in my Mr. Coffee and dump it directly in. Gets nice and filtered, and is nearly zero effort on my part. Plus, it's pretty dang hard to screw up!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Ziplock baggies are plenty airtight, if you've got those laying around the house. If not, I haven't really noticed much of difference between Ziplock and just using the bag it came in.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Uugh, they've been out of Refurb Maestro Plus's every time I've checked for the past three months. It'd totally be worth the $50 to me if I could pay that now and get it three months ago, but I keep on thinking, "Nah, they'll get more in soon, you can wait another week to save $50."

Gambler's fallacy, maybe?

Edit: The tinkerer in me wants to build a good automated coffee maker. I've got the electronics background for it. Hook a burr grinder, heating element, thermometer, and a couple of stepper motors up to a micro-controller, *beep*boop* good coffee, zero effort. I just can't figure out what brewing method would work with that. Getting the lid/plunger on a press is too hard, a clever might work, but it'd need to be pre-loaded with a filter...

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 9, 2012

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Got one! Thanks for looking out for me, guys. :shobon:

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone have experience making espresso with an aeropress?

:flame:
ITS NOT ESPRESSO ITS COFFEE OH MY GOD I LITERALLY HATE YOU IRL.

*spends $15 on a cup of coffee that a cat poo poo out*

vv Edit: Pretty sure that it was a (lovely|funny) trolling attempt, in light of the alleged elitism.

Editx2: Checking the user, he's been posting around here for a while, but seems to be a bit of a coffee newbie.

Serious answer: You'll piss off the 'spegs by calling it espresso, but it makes pretty good coffee. It's what I use at work, because cleanup is so absurdly easy. You just remove the cap and kind of *pop* the coffee-grounds "puck" out the end and into a garbage can. You don't even really need any water to clean it up, you can just wipe it off with a paper towel.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 24, 2012

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

The last time I was in Utah, for a wedding, I stumbled upon Jack Mormon Coffee Co, on like 2nd Ave & E St., right next to the temple. They roasted their own in-shop, and seemed to have a pretty knowledgeable barristas. Plus I got to offend like everybody as I stood in the temple gardens, sipping a coffee, waiting for my buddy and his bride to get out of the temple proper.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

what is this posted:

Resurrecting this post to inquire about Starbucks Blonde roast.

We have a Starbucks right next to where I work, so it's not uncommon to walk down there for a break. We also have a reasonable espresso machine, but some people want one of Starbucks' "fancy" drinks. In any case I've had the blonde roast now a few times.

Every time I order blonde roast, they make it right there, in a pour over. Filter goes in the plastic case (two holes at the base), ground beans go in the filter, hot water slowly poured over the beans.

Is this the case for every Starbucks? I'm certainly pleased with the results, but this takes quite a long time and the process seems too expensive to be replicated nationwide.

What? No, around here they've got a 5-gallon thermos full of the stuff, same as they do for the other brewed coffees. Are you suggesting that, at you Starbucks, they both know and care enough to make decent coffee?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

traveling midget posted:

$400? Are they loving high?

They are pretty, though.

On the other hand, I'm perfectly content with coffee cold-brewed in a mason jar in the back of my fridge, so I'd probably lean towards spending $500 on other artwork. If I had $500 to spend on art. Which I don't.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I've got one. (Actually, this model.) It works fine. The filter is tight enough that there aren't really any issues with the grounds getting into the wrong half of the chamber. It's not the be-all-end-all coffee experience, but a presspot isn't exactly rocket science, and there's no reason that it really needs to be any fancier.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

mystes posted:

Perhaps it's somewhat offtopic, but Starbucks is rolling out a new line of bottled energy drinks containing "green coffee extract" which is supposed to be "a natural source of energy from unroasted coffee, without the coffee taste." The reason I bring this up is that I bet this "green coffee extract" is simply the byproduct of decaffinating coffee beansm, now marketed as a more natural alternative to synthetic caffeine. I think their need to put a token, coffee-related ingredient in a product they can then promote as being "without the coffee taste" is amusingly symbolic of Starbucks as a whole.

What? No one uses synthetic caffeine. I mean, yeah, they know how to make it, but decaffeinating coffee produces enough to supply the entire industry, and basically as a free side-effect of what they were doing anyway. Five-Hour Energy drinks contain "natural" caffeine!

PhazonLink posted:

What would green coffee even taste like? Sounds horrible, that's like eating raw cocoa beans.

Thomas Hammer, a Spokane roaster, has a "white coffee" roast they use in espressos. It's very, very lightly roasted, and produces a green drink with a strong vegetable-y flavor, kind of like asparagus or artichoke. They boast that it has about 2.5x the caffeine of a city roast, and zero acidity. They make their "white zombie" latte with it and white chocolate syrup, which is actually pretty good. (If you're in the mood for a coffee milkshake. :shrug:)

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 28, 2012

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I know standard practice is to weigh your coffee and water if you want to get good results, but what is the downside to using too much coffee, in a drip or press environment? Just the loss of consistency?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Torquemada posted:

I saw a video of a coffee pro, Jim Hoffmann I think, making french press coffee in a jug first, with extremely coarse-ground coffee, and a long infusion time; used a spoon to remove the float on top, then carefully poured the coffee into a warm press pot, using the press action to remove only the tiny amount of fines left. Pros: improves flavour and body. Cons: more work, takes longer, end result will not be all that hot.

It seems to me that you could get the same effect by starting out in the press pot and spooning out the float before putting the top on. Or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

dema posted:

I just got some Sermon from Verve and it's fuckin awesome. It's like someone stuck Blueberries in my espresso. I can even taste it in a cappuccino.

That Sermon is specifically labeled "Espresso". Is there any difference between this and a bean that I'd want to use for pourover/CCD, or is that just a recommendation "this is really good for espresso"?