Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Today, I successfully convinced the office manager to order up a our weekly delivery of coffee from rather awesome roasters Hasbean.

No more loving awful ancient bags of sawdust 'french blend' from Tesco for me, ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Frankston posted:

Speaking of online beans, anyone know any good UK-based websites? I'm looking to branch beyond 'whatever my local supermarket is stocking'.

Hasbean has been my go-to for years. Super good customer service.

Pact are good if you like the idea of subscription based coffee.

Of course the real pro move is going to be just finding a local roaster. I go to a local one in Liverpool, and they're constantly throwing free samples and overfilled bags of coffee at me.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I had to quit for a few weeks a little while back because of a stomach ulcer, and it was the worst. Headaches weren't too bad, but I was snappy as hell.

In happier news, just started messing about with cold brew, what's the optimal steep time, or will that depend on concentration/roast etc?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Qubee posted:

For any UK people looking for an amazing coffee roaster to order beans from, give https://www.darkartscoffee.co.uk/ a go. Ordered on Saturday, received the coffee today. My favourite coffee hands down is Lost Highway, tastes like snickers / mars bars in coffee form. The smell of the beans is a night and day difference compared to lovely store bought.

Thanks, will check this out, I'm nearly run out of Hasbean beans.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Qubee posted:

I was ordering beans from Dark Arts Coffee, a really groovy coffee shop in London. They roast and ship the beans within a few days, so the quality is incredible, and I loved the flavour of the beans. However, I'm wanting to break away from them and start shopping local. The prices are slightly higher than I'd like to pay (£9 for 250g that lasts me about 2 weeks if I'm drinking conservatively, which I don't normally do), coupled with shipping costs, and the occasional delay where they'll take 3-4 days before roasting and shipping it.

How would I go about finding a local coffee shop to buy freshly roasted beans from? Do I just have to hit the town and ask a bunch of places if they sell freshly roasted beans? Cause a lot of these places don't seem to, and Googling doesn't nab me any coffee shops that have dedicated roasting on-site. A lot of coffee stores here are very small places that just get their beans from somewhere else. I've just bought emergency coffee beans from a store and the quality is crap, cause they sit on those shelves for god knows how long. I even wanted to start roasting my own beans but the chaff messiness turned me off of it, I don't have a garden, so standing out the front of my apartment and blowing chaff all over the place doesn't appeal to me.

I'll even take UK-based coffee roasting company recommendations, as long as the prices are decent.

Where in the UK are you? As mentioned above, Hasbean are fantastic and generally come in cheaper than what you're paying now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Qubee posted:

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I'm going to give Has Bean (I really like their name) a go. I'm also digging the Brian Coffee Spot website, it's a chill blog to read.

I'm also super hype, I stopped by at a place that only roasts coffee beans and the two people working there were ridiculously friendly. Showed me all the stuff they work with too which was really cool. They said 250g are £5 because they appreciate the fact customers have driven down to pick it up. They're pretty much wholesale distributors but they're planning on opening a coffee place up soon. Haven't tried it yet but I'm excited to see how it tastes. I'm a dum dum for Googling "coffee shop" and not "coffee roaster", cause this place was right at the top with a bunch of 5 star reviews.

There's a cool roaster near me in Liverpool thats like that, and they inevitably want to give me loads of tasters of new coffee they have in, I've walked out with so many free beans. Support your local roastery!

edit: that Brian Coffee blog is great, hadn't heard of it either.